Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memory Lane - Which were your first games on the PC?

Beastro

Arcane
Stunts
Racing / 1990
DOS

Played this on my 386 Pentium boasting 32 megabytes of RAM. Car models actually looked pretty decent. Amazingly, you could design your own custom tracks with various obstacles and ramps via track editor, which is what made this game really stand out.

I've been trying to find the name of this game for awhile! Always stuck in my head as the first one I'd played. Would go over to my friends place and play Lemmings and other games, but this was the one we'd mess with the most making insane tracks and seeing what we could get the cars to do.

Dodo1610

Arcane
My first Pc game was Thief, I didn't understand it because I was only 4 years old but the game left an impression on me, I could never forget the visuals and the eery atmosphere. The other one was Microsoft Monstertruck Madness.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was a NES and SNES kid who got into PC gaming through my mom around 1993. She was big into point and click adventures and got me playing shit like King's Quest V, Sam & Max Hit the Road and 7th Guest. I'm not 100% sure but I thinki KQ5 was my first one. From there I started buying my own PC games to run on her computer and expanded to RPGs and FPS games. First ones of those I remember playing are Lands of Lore and Star Wars: Dark Forces, respectively. I did get a Nintendo 64 and played Mario and Zelda on it, but I mostly switched to PC, got my own PC and was pretty much done with consoles after that.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Our Commodore 64 has quite a few games, but you dont count that, right? (Had 2 power units that failed, still have the floppies but I suspect they arent in good condition)
First saw doom at my friends place, and Wolfenstein.
I can remember that my brothers Amiga had populous, among others

First PC was a 286 that was somewhat underwhelming, played Das Boot, Lemmings, Leisure Suit Larry 6, Solitaire and MajorMUD over Telnet on windows 3.1, fun times. Not sure if it ran Wolfenstein. I hadnt quite got hooked on videogames just yet, that was to happen after I visited my brothers and witnessed the greatest thing ever, Command and Conquer. Upgraded to 486 hand me down which let me play C&C, Wolf and Doom and a few others as my hunger grew. Would upgrade to a Cyrix 686 build and was enjoying a wide selection of games thanks to my brothers and their degeneracy for piracy, I was a stupid kid and didnt know better, but nothing really stood up and grabbed my balls quite like C&C did, until upon another visit to my brothers I saw Half-Life. Was hooked again, bought it, played it, destroyed my sleep with online TFC and eventually Day of Defeat (wasnt much for counterstrike myself), it was pretty bad, around that time I also picked up a double pack of Fallout and Fallout 2, Dungeon Keeper 2, Thief 1 and 2 (must have been on sale due to the companies dying an ignoble death, RIP) and whatever I could pick up at the several LAN parties my brothers took me along to. Somewhere I picked up Creatures, those annoying little scrotes that were supposed to be 'alive'. Tyrian 2000, Ignition, GTA, picked up quite a few games from my brothers, Total Annihilation too, my brothers would have some rather intense competitions with each other, complete with cheese tactics and shenanigans. Watched my brother play Diablo, bought Diablo 2 the day it was released, played Syndicate wars but never the first.

Have this giant nostalgia kick now, even if my tastes are mostly prole and decline. Thanks! :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D. I discovered they are on my HDD by accident. They came with the PC itself but no one had told us. I was learning how to use DOS commands and was entering every directory on C:, that's how I found them.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
War Hawk (Atari 130 XE)
580101-war-hawk-atari-8-bit-screenshot-good-shot.png

Falcon 3.0 (Dos)
372848-falcon-3-0-dos-screenshot-rear-cockpit-view.png

newtmonkey

Arcane
Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons
857998-commander-keen-invasion-of-the-vorticons-dos-screenshot-episode.png

A friend of the family set our first PC up for us (until then we had only used Atari and Commodore computers, so had no clue whatsoever how to use DOS), and he put the shareware version of this on there for me. Had a lot of fun with this, but never bothered to get the registered version.

First few games I went out and bought shortly after:

Quest for Glory III: Wages of War
642-quest-for-glory-iii-wages-of-war-dos-screenshot-tarna.gif

I had played QFG 1&2 on a friend's computer, so when I saw this at the store I knew I had to have it. Not as good as 1&2 in hindsight, but the freedom to explore blew my mind.

The Legend of Kyrandia
438652-the-legend-of-kyrandia-amiga-screenshot-near-mountainside.png

One of the finest adlib soundtracks ever combined with some of the most gorgeous VGA art from the masters themselves at Westwood. I actually finished this one and I thought it was okay.

Ultima VI: The False Prophet
8167-ultima-vi-the-false-prophet-dos-screenshot-the-game-begins-with.gif

DEFINITELY made up for the technically impressive but completely unplayable C64 port of the game I had been struggling to play until then. The game seemed so massive back then, though I guess it's still a huge game.

Beastro

Arcane
My first Pc game was Thief, I didn't understand it because I was only 4 years old but the game left an impression on me, I could never forget the visuals and the eery atmosphere. The other one was Microsoft Monstertruck Madness.

When my brother moved back in for a bit he had the demo of Thief. Played the hell out of it, even just for the combat. Was amazing to finally get beyond Lord Bafford's Manor though it threw me to go from that to Cragscleft.

HansDampf

Arcane
My dad dragged home an old 386 PC one day, I only had a NES before that.

A friend of mine gave me some floppy disks and this was what was on them - my first PC games:

Thank you. I have very thin memories of this game and have often tried to find it but couldn't remember the name.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Looks similar to this one, which was pretty fun (and also one of the first games I played on the PC):

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
4D Boxing
Lemmings
Stunts
Doom
Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem 3D
Prince of Persia
Commander Keen
Warcraft 1
Wacky Weels
Money Island 1
Leisure Suit Larry 1

randir14

Augur
My parents would mostly only buy edutainment-type games. The first ones I can remember playing were Caveman Ugh-lympics, Carmen Sandiego, Challenge of the Ancient Empires, Operation Neptune and Treasure Mountain.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First game I watched my father play and immediately understood I'll be into gaming:

Aemar

Arcane
The very first games on my PC: Diablo 1, Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness, Adventures of Lomax.
Within a year or so after that: FIFA 1998: Road to World Cup, HOMM2, MM6, Quake 2, Knights and Merchants, Caesar 3.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though I had owned a Commodore VIC-20 & C64 for several years previously, the very first game I played on PC was Mystic Towers. I had a hand-me-down Radio Shack 286-based Tandy PC with integrated sound & VGA and 14" color monitor that I had to remove the back cover of at great risk of personal death to myself else it wouldn't turn on. Back then, my only source for games was shareware from a local BBS. So this was the game. My opinion of it? Meh. It was a novelty to see VGA for the first time but gameplay, while interesting at first due to its puzzle elements and brain power required to navigate the tower, became tedious so I never even finished the Shareware episode. It wasn't until I downloaded Wolfenstein 3D a few days later in 1994 that I had an epiphany and thought, "Man, this PC shit is crack!"

Last edited:

kain30

Cipher
My first videogame ever was el capitan trueno, a spanish platformer videogame for the spectrum 128k. And on PC was jill of the jungle

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I've been trying to find the name of this game for awhile! Always stuck in my head as the first one I'd played. Would go over to my friends place and play Lemmings and other games, but this was the one we'd mess with the most making insane tracks and seeing what we could get the cars to do.

Yeah it kinda felt like proto-Trackmania. Really ahead of its time. Glad you found it anyway, I know how that feels

Ivan

Arcane
I remember playing MDK on the mac, hovering around the map with the parachute. Quake 3 sometime after.

Barbalos

Savant
iu

Spy vs Spy on C64

for PC some early games were Daggerfall, Betrayal at Krondor, King's Quest and Rise of the Dragon.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The Adventures of Microman

When I finally got to the end I was so scared of the big UFO boss that I in panic ran in and out of the room of the fight over and over - until this made the boss glitch and get stuck in one spot, making for an easy kill.

The first few PC games that I remember playing extensively were Heroes of Might and Magic 1, Warcraft 2 and Dungeon Keeper. I feel very fortunate that such well made and imagination grabbing games were a part of my childhood.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Skimmed the thread and never saw a definition for "PC" in this context, so I will take it as "personal computer". For me, that is Apple // series and Oregon Trail.

First game I pirated was Autoduel by Origin Systems, with my 300/1200baud modem. Pretty sure that was from JJChipz BBS, which I dialed long distance with my hacked MCI codes... It was fun prank calling international numbers with someone else's card, but the real value of the MCI autodialers was finding working codes so you could call a California warez site from your home in Colorado without Mom getting a massive long distance charge on the phone bill and confiscating your games and digi-pr0n.

Thanks for the mammaries!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom