Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memory Lane - Which were your first games on the PC?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Skimmed the thread and never saw a definition for "PC" in this context, so I will take it as "personal computer". For me, that is Apple // series and Oregon Trail.

If we're doing that then I think every millennial played Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego and similar shit at school.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Skimmed the thread and never saw a definition for "PC" in this context, so I will take it as "personal computer". For me, that is Apple // series and Oregon Trail.

If we're doing that then I think every millennial Gen X forward played Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego and similar shit at school.

Fixed. Your point is given, which is why I went to piracy. That was the true beginning of my nerdhood.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Adventures of Microman

When I finally got to the end I was so scared of the big UFO boss that I in panic ran in and out of the room of the fight over and over - until this made the boss glitch and get stuck in one spot, making for an easy kill.

What I remember the most about this game is how there was a place where you could fall down an infinite pit and you'd die of a heart attack caused by the infinite fall at some point.

vota DC

Augur
From day 1

Gorilla.bas
Nibbles.bas
Arkanoid 2
Golden Axe

After a couple of months I had Commander Keen 4, Dune 2, Monster Bash and Wolfenstein.

Also I thought I had a Batman game and a Commando game....too bad autoexec.bat and command.com aren't games.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
815-prince-of-persia-dos-screenshot-the-story.gif

Prince of Persia - I think it still holds up and I replay it. The smooth controls and fluid animations was really something.

images

Lemmings - I remember playing some poor version on C64, but the PC version was the real deal. Lots of warm memories.

2694-star-wars-x-wing-dos-screenshot-preparing-the-x-wing-starfighters.gif

X-Wing had amazing intro and the difficulty was too much for me, but I still remember it as one of the most memorable.

206222-elvira-ii-the-jaws-of-cerberus-dos-screenshot-mystical-contact.png

I still remember how I killed a button in some cheap A4 tech mouse while playing Elvira 2.

8422-body-blows-dos-screenshot-ingame.gif

Before Mortal Kombat dominated PC fighting segment, Body Blows was my favourite one. Excellent soundtrack and some nice characters to choose from.

1174-syndicate-dos-screenshot-mass-carnage.gif

Syndicate - amazing graphics and audio, you can do whatever you want on the maps and kill many agents and people between. I remember finishing the Atlantic Accelerator for the first time, that was really satisfying .I play it almost every year. Finished American Revolt data disk twice.

9810-space-hulk-dos-screenshot-intro.gif

Space Hulk - Even Elvira II wasn't as scary as SH. I didn't know much anything about Warhammer and just learn to play myself.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
First games I actually owned on MY PC were Impressions, Talonsoft and SSI strategy games.

The first one installed and played successfully on DOS was 'Blue and the Gray', thanks to my computer guy Bill Hicks. Yes, that was his name.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/edward-grabowskis-the-blue-the-gray

Not exactly a hugely in-depth grand strat title, but it did cover the whole war and did have some limited operational scope as far as city conquering and army building. Fun game overall. That strat game stuff was the main reason I had my first 386 built. Doom, Duke Nukem and others required a 486 upgrade.

Once Win 95 appeared my list would look like anyone else's. Doom, Tie Fighter, Quake, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires, etc.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Probably Oregon Trail, Minesweeper, and Solitary. For the non-boring ones, Blade Runner (adventure game) is probably the first ever PC game I remember playing. I think my dad brought it for us in a Pawn shop. All I know is that we woke up to it one morning. Still, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Shogun: Total War, Alpha Centauri, Age of Empires: II, and Quake III: Arena are probably the earliest games I can remember playing.

Shit, I remember I spent an entire year playing and replaying Age of Mythology when I got that game. It's easily one of my favorite games ever.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Probably Oregon Trail, Minesweeper, and Solitary. For the non-boring ones, Blade Runner (adventure game) is probably the first ever PC game I remember playing. I think my dad brought it for us in a Pawn shop. All I know is that we woke up to it one morning. Still, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Get on that ScummVM testing, son.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
815-prince-of-persia-dos-screenshot-the-story.gif

Prince of Persia - I think it still holds up and I replay it. The smooth controls and fluid animations was really something.

Animations were rotoscoped off the guy's brother IIRC. Soon later other games followed with the same approach such as Another World and Flashback. Also Mortal Kombat.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had a ZX-Spectrum so I got my PC relatively late. On the school computers, I had already played...

Snipes: Networked shooter game with glorious green/gold monochrome Hercules mode. We played it so much during breaks that the central figure (which did not move) got burned into the screen permanently. Later on Snipes was superseded by Netwars.
Snipes_-_Text_mode_game_by_Novell_-_screen_grab_Apr05.gif

My first game on my own PC was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.
hqdefault.jpg

I spent a lot more time reading books than playing these games, because they kinda sucked. :M On the Spectrum, I had the much more sophisticated Lords of Midnight, but I could barely understand that one at the time.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
My dad used to pirate a ton of DOS games and put them on compilation disks for me. Most of them were platformers, and as such the first games I actually remember playing are:
- Jazz Jackrabbit
- Maui Mallard
- Duke Nukem II
- Quarantine (my dad had no idea what this was at the time, so I played it secretly to avoid being caught playing such a violent game)

There's a bunch of others I can't remember, but I basically did nothing but play pirated DOS games and PS1 until my sister's boyfriend eventually sold us his PC which had flagship hardware in it at the time, and gave me Unreal with it, so I'll count that as the first game that solidified PC as my main platform. Going from DOS games and early 3D like Tomb Raider straight to a game like Unreal utterly blew me away at the time.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

I also played Monkey Island at the time, although I thought it sucked a bit.

*I can't remember the sound was so shitty, maybe the use AdLib in the videos (?)

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

It was also weird how I never attempted to get into more dungeon crawlers (probably because I was to young, but it was addicting).

I was 6 or 7, and this was only the demo version of FATE so I couldn’t get past the 3rd floor of the dungeon (I am curious how good the game actually is nowadays). Always pumped max strength on every level up, lol. I also remember this stupid rose weapon that I never had enough Dex for.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
MacNinja.jpg

Macninja
First game I have any distinct memory of playing, on our family computer.

Also played Mechwarrior 2 and one of the Star Wars games X-Wing or Tie-Fighter but I had no clue what I was doing in those games at that age so I mostly just watched the opening cinematics over and over. Journeyman Project Turbo and Load Runner also come to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom