Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has C&C become the cancer of RPGs?

Alexios

Augur
Patron
It seems that nearly every new big-budget game that is marketed as an RPG is marketed with a heavy focus on C&C. Despite all the advancements in game production technology and the huge increase in budgets, there has been virtually no focus on gameplay in big-budget RPGs in the last several years. Developers don't even seem to care about the quality of the story itself, or the quality of the writing of the characters. Instead, all we ever hear about is how your choices in the game can impact the story. The "story" could be as banal as imaginable, but don't worry: your choices will choose what direction it goes in! Forget about everything else that is supposed to make an RPG an RPG, though.

Do developers do this simply because C&C is very easy to do, whereas innovative gameplay and quality writing take actual talent? Or do they just take their fanbase for fools who will eat this garbage up no matter what?

Discuss.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think it's like combat. You should know whether it's "awesome" popamole action or "hardcore" turn-based tactics before assessing its merits. Merely saying 'we're doing C&C' is meaningless until we see specifics. (CYOA? Dynamic systems? "Full-on" simulations? Hybrid?) I think doing good "C&C" as gameplay or a core concept (that is intertwined with other RPG systems not detached CYOA) takes actual talents.

Yosharian

Arcane
It seems that nearly every new big-budget game that is marketed as an RPG is marketed with a heavy focus on C&C. Despite all the advancements in game production technology and the huge increase in budgets, there has been virtually no focus on gameplay in big-budget RPGs in the last several years. Developers don't even seem to care about the quality of the story itself, or the quality of the writing of the characters. Instead, all we ever hear about is how your choices in the game can impact the story. The "story" could be as banal as imaginable, but don't worry: your choices will choose what direction it goes in! Forget about everything else that is supposed to make an RPG an RPG, though.

Do developers do this simply because C&C is very easy to do, whereas innovative gameplay and quality writing take actual talent? Or do they just take their fanbase for fools who will eat this garbage up no matter what?

Discuss.
Give a few examples of big-budget games that are marketed as RPGs and have a heavy focus on C&C, in the last several years

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Discuss.
Give a few examples of big-budget games that are marketed as RPGs and have a heavy focus on C&C, in the last several years
Nearly every "RPG" featured at E3 this year.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Discuss.
these games hasn't released yet, so we can't judge whether focusing on C&C implementation hurt them or not.

Yosharian

Arcane

Discuss.

Alexios

Augur
Patron

Discuss.
these games hasn't released yet, so we can't judge whether focusing on C&C implementation hurt them or not.
I'm not suggesting that a focus on C&C is what hurts a game, but rather that when it's it is what is solely purported to make the game in question an RPG the result is low quality. You can see this phenomenon at least as far back as Mass Effect. The sole quality that was purported to make the Mass Effect games RPGs was C&C. Everything else was thrown to the fire and the result was some of the most base popamole the genre had yet seen.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
No talent, lack of vision, and kowtowing to parent companies are the cancers. Poorly written C&C is one of the many casualties.

- Fallout 4 has infuriating C&C, but you can't say the choices and their consequences don't matter to gameplay/narrative, or that the C&C isn't a major focus. It's just really, really, really poorly done. This is the cancer Alexios is talking about.
- Witcher 3 has excellent C&C.

- Dark Souls III has excellent C&C (in terms of what the C&C is there to accomplish).

Haven't played any other recent AAA RPGs.

mindfields

Learned
I couldn't really care about C&C to be honest, in fact many of my favorite RPGs have very little at all. It seems to me that many RPG fans really want to read books/choose-your-own-adventures rather than play games.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Discuss.
I'm not suggesting that a focus on C&C is what hurts a game, but rather that when it's it is what is solely purported to make the game in question an RPG the result is low quality. You can see this phenomenon at least as far back as Mass Effect. The sole quality that was purported to make the Mass Effect games RPGs was C&C. Everything else was thrown to the fire and the result was some of the most base popamole the genre had yet seen.
More like Bioware decided to make a popamole game for dudebro couch couch gaming crowd, without losing their existing audience.
So instead of admitting "we are making popamole", they said "we are making a game with never seen before C&C, and it also a cover-based action".

Yosharian

Arcane
Since Mass Effect is the only RPG game that has actually been mentioned:

Mass Effect's C&C became a fucking joke in ME3. Please don't talk to me about C&C and fucking Mass Effect.

. You can see this phenomenon at least as far back as Mass Effect. The sole quality that was purported to make the Mass Effect games RPGs was C&C. Everything else was thrown to the fire and the result was some of the most base popamole the genre had yet seen.

Mass Effect (first game, haven't played the others) had stats that determined your play style, success in combat and in dialogue and not much else, therefore an RPG no matter how you frame it, with or without C&C, well or poorly done, just like the vast number of other RPGs including some that made it into various Codex Top lists. The C&C was also a tad above the average RPG.

Beyond that, yes, it was grindy popamole, action wasn't particularly well designed or on par with pure action games of similar style and yet, the characters and presentation (voice acting, cinematics, pace) made it a far more fun and entertaining game, also unlike a vast number of RPGs. Playing an asshole female Shepard was one of the best experiences I had in any RPG.

I will pick a shallow action RPG with engaging characters and good presentation choke full of cinematics and whatnot over boring dump-lore RPGs any day, regardless of style. Not every game manages to be a PST, BL, JA2, AOD or Underrail, after all.

How do the later ME games compare to the first one? No spoilers, please.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've never seen an E3 like game actually talk about choices and consequences. People on console can't read the text from the couch they absolutely don't care

Corvinus

Arcane

The only one I can think of where C&C actually is the main focus is the Age of Decadence, and that isn't a big-budget game. As said earlier here it is just a buzzword for the major companies, so how could it hurt new games?
If you see some dog shit next to the human-made equivalent and you find yourself contemplating which one of the piles taste better, you've missed the main point...

It will still taste like shit! / There's no meaningful C&C to be had!

How do the later ME games compare to the first one? No spoilers, please.

I'd say that it is quite the journey, going through all three games with the same character. Something I'd recommend. There's ...less logic to be had as you go along, though.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
there has been virtually no focus on gameplay in big-budget RPGs in the last several years

Has there been in other genres?

Looks to me like there is no real 'revolutionary' gameplay progress to expect in the coming years, not in the popular big budget genres, anyway. Just retreads and small adaptions of the currently existing. Until maybe VR is more advanced than it currently is.

Ranarama

Learned

It's a massive pain in the ass, which is why few do it. It also means more writing, which is why story suffers.

As for *why* they do it? Because it puts actual roleplaying into the games. As opposed to just characters with stats. Or a fixed story that might as well be a movie.

I assumed everyone knew this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom