Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sony positions the PS5 for hardcore gamers for whom streaming just doesn't cut it.

Sony Corp.’s next-generation PlayStation is still more than a year away, but its marketing strategy against newcomers like Google is already clear: Focus on hard-core gamers who obsess over the latest features.

Sony Chief Executive Kenichiro Yoshida has even called the PlayStation a niche product, aimed at serious players.

Now they just have to find out, that those hard-core gamers also dislike censorship.

Is there a market for console hard-core gamers or are the "trv" hard-core gamers all on PC anyway? I think neither the X nor the Pro did capture a major market share compared to the base models.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So, it's going to be out of date in about a year?

Not realy, gtx 1080 = rtx 2080, this year nvidia is releasing the 'super' line which is maybe 5% faster....... a year later if they will release a gpu it will be again 5% faster, which means that that 'newest' cards in 2020 will be 10% faster than ps5, 10% is hardly outdated

The Decline

Arcane

Not realy, gtx 1080 = rtx 2080, this year nvidia is releasing the 'super' line which is maybe 5% faster....... a year later if they will release a gpu it will be again 5% faster, which means that that 'newest' cards in 2020 will be 10% faster than ps5, 10% is hardly outdated

GTX 1080 ti = RTX 2080

The 2080 is roughly 20% faster than the regular 1080.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

GTX 1080 ti = RTX 2080

The 2080 is roughly 20% faster than the regular 1080.

ops I meant the ps5 = rtx 2080, from the benchmarks it's very close behind the 2080, so the PS5 will have 1080 TI gpu level.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PS5 will have a 1080 TI gpu level, 16+ gb ram, ssd and a 3,4ghz cpu... someone try to build a PC like that even today for 500$.

The gpu alone will be 600$, the price-performance ratio for ps5 will be insane, and add to that console optimizations, you will need to buy a 1500$ new PC to run ps5 games.

abija

Prophet
PS5 will have a 1080 TI gpu level, 16+ gb ram, ssd and a 3,4ghz cpu... someone try to build a PC like that even today for 500$.

The gpu alone will be 600$, the price-performance ratio for ps5 will be insane, and add to that console optimizations, you will need to buy a 1500$ new PC to run ps5 games.
Except most games will be designed for ps4 pro with some extra fluff that takes 90% of resources. Them calling it a niche product pretty much cements that it won't be a primary release target except for few games.

Also, a 5ghz i5 (or almost equivalent new gen ryzen) + 1080 ti will shit on it raw performance wise. There's also a high chance, by the time it is released, some xx70 or even xx60 from nvidia (and equivalents from amd) will be out with similar performance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

While a super high-end PC will always be better, these rumored specs definitely paint a picture of consoles which will hold their own next to the PC better than any I've heard of before. The most common card right now I believe is a 1060, and I doubt many of these people are rushing to get 2080TIs. Assuming devs aim for 30fps and as much detail as possible like they usually do that's going to put some big demands on PC ports where people expect 60fps and have Windows overhead and whatnot to deal with.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Except most games will be designed for ps4 pro with some extra fluff that takes 90% of resources. Them calling it a niche product pretty much cements that it won't be a primary release target except for few games.

Also, a 5ghz i5 (or almost equivalent new gen ryzen) + 1080 ti will shit on it raw performance wise. There's also a high chance, by the time it is released, some xx70 or even xx60 from nvidia (and equivalents from amd) will be out with similar performance.

lol no, ps4 pro is just 'enhanced ps4' it's the same architecture, you can call it ps 4.5. PS5 is the 'next-gen' albeit I don't like using that buzz word.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

While a super high-end PC will always be better, these rumored specs definitely paint a picture of consoles which will hold their own next to the PC better than any I've heard of before. The most common card right now I believe is a 1060, and I doubt many of these people are rushing to get 2080TIs. Assuming devs aim for 30fps and as much detail as possible like they usually do that's going to put some big demands on PC ports where people expect 60fps and have Windows overhead and whatnot to deal with.

Yea, for the first 2 years, average PC will be choking on PS5 ports untill new hardware is released

vonAchdorf

Arcane
To me the talk about a "niche" product and "hard-core" gamers raises the suspicion if Sony will repeat their PS3 mistake of a high entry price. They can't be that stupid and market their system as a basically a Steam machine for the console audience.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
To me the talk about a "niche" product and "hard-core" gamers raises the suspicion if Sony will repeat their PS3 mistake of a high entry price. They can't be that stupid and market their system as a basically a Steam machine for the console audience.
I've been wondering if the roles are gonna flip again. PS2 beat xbox, 360 beat ps3, ps4 beat xbone, now xbone 2 is set to beat ps5

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gaming consoles practically already are a niche product for hardcore gamers if you compare it to mobile.

Pretty much. In around 5 years (maybe even less) current flagship phones (for example, Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus - octa-core CPU, 12GB RAM and 1TB memory and 4k displays) will be around 200€ and available to everyone who isn't living in a third-world shithole of a country. I can't even imagine what the high-end is going to offer.

When you take into account that most popular games like Fornite and PUBG have their own mobile versions and that even the underpowered Switch can run downgraded versions of Skyrim, Witcher 3 and nuDoom - it's pretty fucking obvious that smartphones are going to take an even bigger chunk of the market from both consoles and PC alike.

You will only need the following:

61njaN9s4dL._SY355_.jpg

and

z4_imgo_b36a2471-a38c-4ea0-8a00-5d22b14545db_770x531.jpg

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I won't lie, I was shocked to find that currently mobile gaming has a greater share of the gaming market than both pc and consoles.

Just open the Store and start browsing it. You will be surprised to see what games you'll find there. Like I said, if Switch can run it (and it can run a lot) so can most high-end mobile phones.

P.S. you will also be fucking surprised when you see SquareEnix prices. :lol:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The top played games barely qualify as games. They are just time wasters.

Sure, right now, but once streaming tech takes over all those phones will play the latest Assassin's Creed and push their image out to a TV or headset, and then suddenly the reasons for random Joe Schmoes to put more effort in start shrinking. No one would ever say the whole market is up for that, but once a large enough percentage are on board the desire to cater to the niche gets less and less compelling for corporations.

abija

Prophet
Except that market is looking for exactly those games, time wasters that only need the phone they carry always to work.

As for ps5 sales, they just need next Rockstar game to be "next gen" only + a couple of sony exclusives to seal the deal. The power difference between ps4 and xbone was mostly irrelevant for sales (both standard and "pro" versions).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Except that market is looking for exactly those games, time wasters that only need the phone they carry always to work.

As for ps5 sales, they just need next Rockstar game to be "next gen" only + a couple of sony exclusives to seal the deal. The power difference between ps4 and xbone was mostly irrelevant for sales (both standard and "pro" versions).

In the beginning of this gen, being slower most certainly added to the bad rap the Xbone had.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom