Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean the lyrics in that song sound kinda retarded but I guess that's to be expected for punk

Got the chrome in the Bloodstream

Got a metal soul

I'm out looking for action

Guess I'm on a roll

Got the old mega violence

When I boost, it's for real

The capacitors roarin' inside my brain

You know just how I feel

Cold chrome, molten lead

Can't be hurt cuz I'm already dead

Ain't no time as a real as realtime

I'm chipping in

Chippin in (got my head to the wall)

Chippin in (can you hear my call)

Chippin in (I'm the man of steel)

Chippin in (Is that how ya feel)

Well, comon!

Ain't no time as real as realtime.. yes, yes. Excellent.

Quillon

Arcane
I mean the lyrics in that song sound kinda retarded but I guess that's to be expected for punk

Got a metal soul

Guess I'm on a roll

You know just how I feel

Cold chrome, molten lead

I'm chipping in

Well, comon!

Wrong lyrics. Last year's song?

ADL

Prophet
can you feel it

can you touch it

get ready cause here we go

my soul inserted with vital force

wonʼt spare what Iʼm hunting for

itʼs the animal in my blood

wouldnʼt stop it even if I could

seed is sown - Iʼm chippin in

roll the bones - Iʼm chippin in

embed that code - Iʼm chippin in

mayhem flows

not backing down, never backing down

not backing down, yeah

can you feel it

can you touch it

yeah

suits run when I come undone

canʼt kill me Iʼm zeroes and ones

add justice to the peoples math

blaze way down the rebel path

hear my call - Iʼm chippin in

total war - Iʼm chippin in

casings fall - Iʼm chippin in

kill them all

not backing down, never backing down

can you feel it

can you touch it

Perfect for a rockerboy anthem

Yosharian

Arcane

Got a metal soul

Guess I'm on a roll

You know just how I feel

Cold chrome, molten lead

I'm chipping in

Well, comon!

Wrong lyrics. Last year's song?
Oh, maybe. I just grabbed the first thing I found, can't listen to the video again as I'm at work right now

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron

Got a metal soul

Guess I'm on a roll

You know just how I feel

Cold chrome, molten lead

I'm chipping in

Well, comon!

These are the lyrics from Cyberpunk 2020 PnP game.

Frozen

Arcane
I don't know why you argue over a dead horse. Punk died in late 70s that's like 40y ago. All new music is corporate music.
This game has punk in title only, its just a GTA clone visually. Only retarded millennials can see that look and think of it as punk.
Visually and stylistically they really dropped the ball, it all looks so generic lame and 2010ish.
They did a good job of recreating late medieval/early renaissance look in Witcher 3 but this is just recycled trash seen 100 times before in other games.
If they wanted this to have a punk vibe it had to be more retro-late 70s and early 80s post-punk look but it has nothing of it just jersey shore filth.
They might as well put in rappers with saggy trousers and hoodies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...e-cyberpunk-movie-much-more-of-a-possibility/

Keanu Reeves has made Cyberpunk movie ‘much more of a possibility’
FRANCHISE CREATOR DISCUSSES POSSIBILITY OF HOLLYWOOD FILM

keanu-cyberpunk-320x181.jpg

Keanu Reeves’ involvement in Cyberpunk 2077 has made a Hollywood movie “much more of a possibility”, the franchise’s creator has said.

Speaking to VGC in a recent interview, Mike Pondsmith said he “can’t really say” if the rights are being optioned for a Cyberpunk movie, but confessed that the involvement of Reeves has brought a lot more star credibility to the project.

Pondsmith said: “I can’t really say anything on [movie rights]. But with Keanu Reeves being tied up in things, it’s become much more of a possibility.”

At E3 2019 the John Wick actor was dramatically unveiled as a character in the CD Projekt Red game. He’ll play “legendary rockerboy” Johnny Silverhand. Reeves subsequently said he doesn’t think games need Hollywood stars to legitimise the medium.

When VGC asked developer CD Projekt Red if more Hollywood actors will appear in the game, it simply replied: “no comment.”

Pressed further on the chances of a Cyberpunk movie, writer and designer Pondsmith said he feels his franchise hits a “sweet spot” of plot and action that could appeal to movie goers.

“My favourite film is Blade Runner, but I recognise inherently that it’s a cerebral film and 2049 was even more cerebral,” he said. “A cerebral film is not necessarily going to allow other people to enter that space and understand it, but at the same time you don’t want to do it totally action either.

“We found a sweet spot with Cyberpunk which is, we make you think, but we don’t bog you down and give you an education,” he added.

“At the end of the day, there will be a moment in 2077 when you’re sitting there as V and you’ll look down and realise that both of your hands are essentially cybernetic tool factories. As a player, you should at some point think, what is that like? There should be that moment of discomfort.”

Pondsmith has to date fleshed out the Cyberpunk universe in tabletop games and the upcoming video game release. Looking forward, he said he’s not fussy about what medium his stories are told in.

“There are things in video games that have much higher impact than I’ll ever have in tabletop. And that will change if we ever do a film for this thing”

“I’ve recognised over the years that you have to adapt to the medium to make it effective,” he said. “You don’t use one medium you use another. What I do with tabletop is very different from what I would do in a video game.

“Having to go between the two of them now, I can see that there are things that are easy to do in tabletop that I would never try to do in video games, but there are things in video games that have much higher impact than I’ll ever have in tabletop.

“And that will change if we ever do a film for this thing. What I expect to see will be different.”

Cyberpunk 2077 will be released on April 16, 2020 on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

GAMES ‘DON’T NEED LEGITIMISING’
Keanu Reeves spoke after his unveiling as a Cyberpunk 2077 character about the ways in which technology links the worlds of games and movies.

Asked if he thinks having big Hollywood performers appearing in games helps legitimise gaming in the entertainment world, Reeves told the BBC: “I don’t think they need legitimising.

“If anything, I’d say it’s gone the other way. It’s more of the influence gaming’s had on… let’s call it Hollywood. Certainly with the Marvel universe, right?

“But then gaming probably started in the beginning with Hollywood, so I think these technologies have been talking to each other,” he continued.

“I mean Marlon Brando in the first Superman, I remember him saying ‘OK, so now they can just digitise how I am, my look, and do another performance, and I don’t need to be there.

“That idea of the technology of image capture and performance, we’re seeing in Hollywood now so many performances where they’re either ageing or making other performers younger, so the elasticity of performance and time and what you look like and who you are is getting more complex.”

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This game has punk in title only, its just a GTA clone visually.

Not only visually. You can steal cars, collect cars, display them in your garage and customize cars. Actually a few years back one of the devs said GTA V was the best game ever made. It's not a coincidence.

disposable

Novice
the game takes place under sunny skies
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." :M

I keep seeing people quoting this but I don't get how a comparison to TV static can be interpreted as meaning nice weather.
Sounds more like a nasty, dirty overcast. I imagine either grey static or a PAL test pattern but if you see that thing up in the sky, it's not the sky. It's the shrooms.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...dsmith-my-wife-guessed-they-had-keanu-reeves/

CYBERPUNK’S MIKE PONDSMITH: ‘MY WIFE GUESSED THEY HAD KEANU REEVES’
WRITER AND DESIGNER DISCUSSES SEEING HIS CREATION BROUGHT TO LIFE

IMG_0729-320x240.jpg

Mike Pondsmith is the American tabletop and video game designer behind Cyberpunk. He’s also an incredibly affable man who loves nothing more than sharing anecdotes. As first interviews of E3 go, this is right up there.

Pondsmith created Cyberpunk in 1988 with a pen and paper RPG, later renamed Cyberpunk 2013. He tells VGC that seeing something he created more than 30 years ago brought to life in upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077 is “amazing,” “weird” and “a little intimidating as well.”

The writer and designer has a unique role as a licensor. His background in video games (he worked on the launch of the original Xbox) allows him to give direct feedback to developer CD Projekt Red and he claims to have a personal relationship with many people on the team.

“When I walk through their building and see the 500+ people on the teams, I’m waving at friends all the time,” he says.

VGC was fortunate to spend 30 minutes with Pondsmith to discuss Cyberpunk 2077’s recent E3 showing, the universe behind the game and his aspirations for the future.
What’s it like to see your creation ‘brought to life’ in video game form and for it to receive such a great reception?

It is very weird, because I see all this ability and talent put together to bring something that I did to life. Seeing people get behind it is just amazing. But it’s a little intimidating as well.

I’ll give you an example: I have a bunch of logos that we use and I made those one night – my background is in graphic design – because I needed to fill an area in the original Cyberpunk. So I sat with matt paint or whatever and went, ‘zip, zip, zip’. So to see those logos that I did in 3D, on walls, people wearing them on their clothes… it’s really strange!

If I knew these guys were going to use those, I would’ve made better logos!

Keanu Reeves coming out at the Xbox E3 briefing must have been a special moment for you?

Well I knew for several months about it, which was funny. They basically wanted to sneak it up on me the next time I was out in Warsaw with my team. My wife guessed it the night before. I said they had an actor they wanted me to see for Johnny Silverhand and she looked up and said, “it’s Keanu Reeves.” And I said, “nah, they’ll never get Keanu Reeves! He doesn’t want to do cyberpunk stuff again.”

Was it just a good guess?!

My wife has an ability to make guesses like that. So we’re sitting there at CDPR and they’re about to tell us. They go, “can you guess who it is?” And my wife goes, “yep, Keanu Reeves” and they looked heartbroken. I had to reassure them, “no, no – that’s really cool! You really got him!”

So we knew about Keanu and we also knew the release date. I lurk on Reddit quite a bit and here I am with people chucking all these theories at me about the release date, and I’m thinking, ‘I can’t tell them!’ For me it was it was really cool. There was this immense set of satisfaction that people thought they’d figured it out, but they didn’t figure it all out!

Have you had a chance to meet Keanu?

No, no. He showed up to the show and then I guess he took off. He’s recorded a bunch of stuff, I’ve gathered, but I’m up in Washington and he’s wherever he is, so no chance.

“I said they had an actor for Johnny Silverhand and my wife looked up and said, ‘it’s Keanu Reeves.’ I said, ‘nah, they’ll never get Keanu Reeves! He doesn’t want to do cyberpunk stuff again.'”

Do you think April is a good time to release Cyberpunk 2077, months before the arrival of new consoles?

I think it’s still a pretty good place. Frankly, nobody wants to wait to see this game coming on new systems. But to be honest, they will upgrade the path. It’s already got elements probably built into it. I’ve not seen the code, but my assumption is that there are elements that can move forward to the next versions.

Knowing what I know about system development, they probably have dev kits out already. I know that there are dev kits for Scarlett around now… when I worked at Xbox there was a year [in advance] of original Xbox dev kits. I still have one sitting in my garage! So yeah, there are people already working on them so most likely what will happen is they’ll look at how they’ll upgrade within that.

What interests you in video games as a medium?

Well firstly, I started out there. I was creating graphic design and ended up working for a video game company called California Pacific, working years and years ago on essentially the original Ultima games. So I’d originally gotten into video games and I actually got into pen and paper games by mistake more than anything: I had this idea for this giant robot game. I went to show it to my hero [game designer] Steve Jackson and people liked it. The next thing I knew I had a game company.

The thing that I love about video games is that as we get better and better at production, we have the ability to build not just immersion, but to build worlds that extend beyond even the storylines. They become places that are loved by many, many people and places of creativity, which players can enter. For example, I am utterly amazed by how, just on the strength of our trailers, how many people have done cosplay, music, posters… there’s a guy building a car from the original video. He’s building the damn car!

You can create worlds to a certain extent with paper, but you can never get that visceral, 3D feeling that you can with a video game. That’s what makes it very powerful: you can make worlds.

Cyberpunk the series has existed for over 30 years. Do you think Cyberpunk could have been done justice before now in video game form?

Yes, but that’s not why it’s working now. The reason is that from the start CDPR are fans: they play the [pen and paper] game. Many of them grew up playing the game. So this is like a bunch of guys who watched the Star Wars movies as kids and then got a chance to make a Star Wars game: they would do the best damn job they could.

That is why we went with them. This game has been optioned for years to many, many different studios. But what I saw in CD Projekt was that they really cared about it and the things that were important to us were important to them. So I knew it was in good hands.

We have a unique take on the cyberpunk genre: it’s a heroic kind of cyberpunk in this sort of dirty, gritty way, but you can still be the hero. That’s unusual for the genre and a lot of the game companies who have been interested before saw maybe the Blade Runner-esque qualities, but they didn’t see the weird, fun and dangerous, risky elements. It’s hard to describe. It was the ethos of the 80s, that a lone person with a gun and an attitude could change the world.

How faithful has CDPR been to your original vision?

Oh yeah. And unlike many people who are licensing, I’ve worked in video games. So that means I could give the development team some useful input about how to do it. I’ll give you an example: we talked about the AV’s, which are the flying cars, and I had worked on Flight Simulator so I could bring that to the table and tell them what to do and what not to do for 3D flight.

What does Cyberpunk have to say about the current state of the world?

I tell people that Cyberpunk is a warning, not, ‘hey, this is going to be great.’ We are getting technologies now that are outstanding, things that I thought would be way out of our reach before 2020. For example, we have a group of people who are going to be featured in our next edition and they have cyberware hooked up. They’ve got cyber arms and legs and they look like characters from Cyberpunk. We have that capability.

So if we have that, what are we going to do with it? How are we going to make the world work? How are we going to make sure that the right people use that technology responsibly? Do we really want corporations structuring how our lives work? Right now we have corporations that follow us everywhere. It’s important for us to think where we’re going with this capability.

Do you think it’s important that entertainment like this asks those sorts of questions?

Oh yeah. Somebody asked me a while back if Cyberpunk was political and I said inherently it’s always political. It’s not politics in terms of right or left, or even conservative versus liberal… everything is political. Human beings are political. First we got food, then we got prostitution, then we got politics. And we might have gotten politics before prostitution, but I’m not sure.

Basically, it’s all political but a big part of what Cyberpunk talks about is the disparities of power and how technology readdresses that. I’ll give you an example: when I started my paper game business in the 80s, we had to go and get stuff printed and we had to go to specific areas to have films made. It cost us a lot of money and the people doing it set our timetables, how much we paid… we had very little control.

Within two years my art director, who was also an engineer, had redesigned personal scanners to be better than the ones we used to go to and we could now do all of that stuff in-house. Benjamin Franklin once said the printing press belongs to those who own one. Well, I owned one.

Technology has created levellers. YouTube is a leveller in many ways, because I don’t have to go to some network to get a TV show made. Flash was a leveller: I didn’t have to go somewhere and get a toy license to get an animation made. Suddenly I can do radical, interesting and heavily political things because technology is my enabler.

How much scope is there for more stories in the Cyberpunk universe?

There are tons of them. One of the things that we’re doing now is that we look at Cyberpunk the series as essentially a trilogy much like Star Wars, or the different generations of Star Trek. 2013 was about a world that was recovering and learning to use new technology. 2020 was a world in which corporations were supreme and abused that power tremendously. The new book we’re doing at Talsorian, Cyberpunk Red, is about how people recover from that screw-up, take the wheel for themselves and redirect where they’re going to go.

A lot of 2077 is about that push between people who want to gain power from the corporations and their groups, and the people who have had a taste of their own freedom and are not going to go along with this. So right now Talsorian is running the Empire Strikes Back, while 2077 is essentially Return of the Jedi or beyond even. There are a lot of stories to tell there, if you don’t keep them to a specific group of characters, if you recognise that there are a lot of people with a lot of interesting stories.

And you’re not fussy about what medium those stories are told in?

No. I’ve recognised over the years that you have to adapt to the medium to make it effective. You don’t use one medium the same way you use another. What I do with tabletop is very different from what I would do in a video game. Having to go between the two of them now, I can see that there are things that are easy to do in tabletop that I would never try to do in video games, but there are things in video games that have much higher impact than they’ll ever have in tabletop. And that will change if we ever do a film for this thing. What I expect to see will be different.

The trick for all of us involved in the project is to make sure than it sticks to a certain set of roots. If you look at the game logo, it’s basically version four of something I drew 30 years ago, in the middle of the night with my own hand writing. But the roots of it, the choices of how the font goes together, how it’s broken up… that’s carried forward.

Are you actively optioning the Cyberpunk movie rights?

I can’t really say anything on that. But with Keanu Reeves being tied up in things, it’s become much more of a possibility.

At this point we are teaching people about this new kind of cyberpunk. My favourite film is Blade Runner, but I recognise inherently that it’s a cerebral film and 2049 was even more cerebral. A cerebral film is not necessarily going to allow other people to enter that space and understand it, but at the same time you don’t want to do it totally action.

We found a sweet spot with Cyberpunk which is, we make you think, but we don’t bog you down and give you an education. At the end of the day, there will be a moment when you’re sitting there as V and you’ll look down and realise that both of your hands are essentially cybernetic tool factories. As a player, you should at some point think, ‘what is that like?’ There should be that moment of discomfort.

Would you like to continue working with CD Projekt Red?

I hope so. Lord knows we’d do more of these if we can sell a few copies. Our relationship started with the fact that they’re fans and they are, as my business manager likes to say, “they’re like us.” At the core, they’re people who are honourable, straightforward, care deeply about what they do for who they’re creating for. All of us are very much driven by what fans will get out of this, because we are fans.

I have so many friends there that if I didn’t have a company in Seattle, I would probably move to Poland and hang out. When I walk through their building and see the 500+ people on the teams, I’m waving at friends all the time.

Yosharian

Arcane
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." :M

I keep seeing people quoting this but I don't get how a comparison to TV static can be interpreted as meaning nice weather.
Sounds more like a nasty, dirty overcast. I imagine either grey static or a PAL test pattern but if you see that thing up in the sky, it's not the sky. It's the shrooms.
It doesn't mean nice weather...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

At the time Neuromancer was published in 1982, a dead channel would have meant gray static, and apparently there's a later quote from William Gibson that he was thinking of the somewhat different dead channel color from the televisions of his youth ("I actually composed that first image with black and white video static of my childhood in mind, sodium silvery and almost painful").
12x12_3.jpg

Later televisions would display blue screens, perhaps appropriate for a sunny Californian sky, though it seems televisions have moved on from that to displaying nothing other than a "no signal" message. :M

Wesp5

Arcane

It doesn't mean nice weather...

But then again it also doesn't mean that it's always bad weather or dark, like shown in Blade Runner.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
VGC: What’s it like to see your creation ‘brought to life’ in video game form and for it to receive such a great reception?

Pondsmith: It is very weird,...

Yeah if my PnP brainchild was made into a GTA clone that would be my reaction too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom