Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The Dark Lord Beholder (formerly Eye of the Beholder 4)

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
I hope that excuse works when they knock at your door, mate.

It seems you try to find flaws in my game by saying the left pixel is identical with the right pixel. I am recognizing malicious jealousy. Have you evere programmed or made any project in your life?
Have you ever tried to do anything in your life in generic even try to do something and fail instead to judge other people work? If my game have identical patters or similar pixels. I am more crazy than you and before the game will be released I am going to find the original designers of the old Westwood to compare my graphics with their and if the graphics will be identical with originals and the designer will get offended because the left pixel looks very similar with the right one. Then I WILL PAY THEM to draw me a new wallset and I will put and their legendary names in my credits and my game will do more sales.

Nyast

Cipher
You're misisng the point again; Go read about copyrights. Like right now.

The fact that we can find the same pixel patterns, absolutely everywhere, is not even the main issue. I only did it to prove that your claims that you remade everything from scratch was a lie. Whether the fault is on you or your graphics designer is no

In terms of coyprights, there's only one question that matters. If you take a screenshot from the forest area from your game, and take a screenshot from Eye of the Beholder's, can a random person, without a doubt, without confusion, absolutely not mistake one from the other ?

Like, if I took that screenshot of your forest and asked a player of Eye of the Beholder, "hey, is that a screenshot from EOB or not ?", would he definitely answer "no, that's not from EOB, without a doubt" ? Or would he be unable to tell the difference ?

Everything in your forest area screams EOB's. The color palette is pretty much identical, the composition is identical, the style is identical.

Here's a guy smarter than you that absolutely did not copy the original artwork, but still lost in court because the theme and composition was identical:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1166562748/imitated-image-copyright-case

You won't find two identical pixels in this either.

Last edited:

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
I am not care
I am not there
I am not legally anywhere

I steal of you
You try for sue
Oh me, whatever will I do?

I am in bother
(Lawsuit fodder)
All for all, typical modder.

Guys I will do the last reply. If the Westwood will sue me or some monster knock my door, is something that I am concern and is MY problem. I am not worry if the left pixel is similar with the upper right pixel of the graphic of the left branch of the tree and if the pixel of the monster is the same color of the pixel of my monsters. But when I will finish my game I will release one special version with a special dedication message in the game ending credits dedicated to trolls in this forum with their user names exactly and the url of this forum too.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
You're misisng the point again; Go read about copyrights. Like right now.

The fact that we can find the same pixel patterns, absolutely everywhere, is not even the main issue. I only did it to prove that your claims that you remade everything from scratch was a lie. Whether the fault is on you or your graphics designer is no

In terms of coyprights, there's only one question that matters. If you take a screenshot from the forest area from your game, and take a screenshot from Eye of the Beholder's, can a random person, without a doubt, without confusion, absolutely not mistake one from the other ?

Like, if I took that screenshot of your forest and asked a player of Eye of the Beholder, "hey, is that a screenshot from EOB or not ?", would he definitely answer "no, that's not from EOB, without a doubt" ? Or would he be unable to tell the difference ?

Everything in your forest area screams EOB's. The color palette is pretty much identical, the composition is identical, the style is identical.

Here's a guy smarter than you that absolutely did not copy the original artwork, but still lost in court because the theme and composition was identical:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1166562748/imitated-image-copyright-case

You won't find two identical pixels in this either.

Of cource should be identical because I am making a game which will have the similar gameplay and visuals close to Eye of the Beholder. (Not copied - I will be missunderstood again).
Continue your critics I have to program and continue my game...
In sometime I will send you and some new screenshot from caves of the game to make your check and do your critic review.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
re-creating it from scratch to be nearly identical is STILL copyright infringement.
No, not always.

Some easy counter examples come to mind. Let's say a texture in a game is a black square 512 by 512. If another company creates the same texture, it's not an infringement.

But if you copy some character, pixel to pixel perfectly, that's infringement.

The line comes between, whether a texture is a piece of art, or if it's a mathematical formula (a lot of technical textures, like normal maps for eyes, are nothing more than a visual manifestation of a specific algorithm).

But what this guy did is obvious theft of art. The pattern is unmistakable. The fact that he denies it makes me think he's a pathological liar as well. Who knows what else he stole.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
I am not care
I am not there
I am not legally anywhere

I steal of you
You try for sue
Oh me, whatever will I do?

I am in bother
(Lawsuit fodder)
All for all, typical modder.

Guys I will do the last reply. If the Westwood will sue me or some monster knock my door, is something that I am concern and is MY problem. I am not worry if the left pixel is similar with the upper right pixel of the graphic of the left branch of the tree and if the pixel of the monster is the same color of the pixel of my monsters. But when I will finish my game I will release one special version with a special dedication message in the game ending credits dedicated to trolls in this forum with their user names exactly and the url of this forum too.
Supplementary: The special version will be free of charge dedicated to trolls, because they will get offended if they pay money for a bad game or from a patheric liar who sold game to them.

I admit, I am trolling you a bit, but it’s only because you’ve made it pretty clear that you are a snake-oil salesman who is too lazy and/or incompetent to affect even the most basic veneer of legitimacy.

Also your sentence structure is quite amusing, but I don’t think it’s fair of me to make fun of you for ESL issues.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Filing a DMCA against his title on Steam is going to be easy peasy. The theft is not going to fly.

You don't have to be owners of the Eye of the Beholder license or anything. Any one of us can file the DMCA and provide these screenshots and it'll be enough.

This guy is delusional if he think this is not a problem. I'll do it myself, just ping me when his game hits Steam.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
I'm not claiming there is a case. No company would sue an amateur that hasn't caused harmed / generated money.

If he tries to sell his "game", that will most likely change. The industry is full of naive developers receiving cease & desist letters from copyright holders. Lots of mods have been shut down because of this.

His luck is that Eye of the Beholder isn't currently an active franchise, but you never know when a publisher could decide to revive it ( Baldur's Gate 3 ? hum hum ) and jump on the case.

Also, the reason I'm bothering replying is becaues the guy is lying. He bumps this topic saying he got ride of the placeholder art, it's no longer stolen, it's all legit, and the first thing I see is the same foreset tileset from Eye of the Beholder, the runic alphabet from Ultima and inventory items from EOB. I'm pretty sure more elements of the interface are from other games too, they ring a bell, but I can't put my finger on it.

If the guy was honnest, had simply explained from the beginning that this was all placeholder for development purposes and that he'd eventually replace it by original art, I wouldn't have a problem. In fact I'd be supporting him. But here he comes back and every time it's the same lies, the same behavior, the same attempts at playing the victim and placing the blame on everybody else cause "he's not understood". Well, I'm not buying that.

Your stubborn replaying is force me to replay.
ZDwPVu7.png

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
Filing a DMCA against his title on Steam is going to be easy peasy. The theft is not going to fly.

You don't have to be owners of the Eye of the Beholder license or anything. Any one of us can file the DMCA and provide these screenshots and it'll be enough.

This guy is delusional if he think this is not a problem. I'll do it myself, just ping me when his game hits Steam.

Are you threaten me now?
When the time will come my game to hit the Steam Powered I will have already contact them.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's funny that you say to get glasses when it appears you're the one who is not able to see that your "graphics designer" (probably your cousin) straight-up conned you, man.

Look at this part again:

6BNqoje.jpg

Ignore the colors. Just look at the actual pixel pattern. Do you honestly not see the problem?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:necro:
Surprised it was here on the forums. I was going through old videos I dl'd so yeah this again:

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The game will have a new name from "Eye of the Beholder 4" it will be "The Dark lord Beholder". Wizards of the Coast wasn't allow me to use the original name. I am creating new rules and you will see it in the game. The new rules will have name , Monsters and Traps. Dungeons and Dragons wasn't allowed by Wizards of the Coast too.
:positive::lol:+M

RPK

Scholar
I wouldn't be surprised if he gets smacked down for having the word beholder anywhere in the name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom