Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

thesecret1

Arcane
What happens after Scam Yidizen gets proven to be a big fat nothing? How will the backers cope?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What happens after Scam Yidizen gets proven to be a big fat nothing? How will the backers cope?
DenseZestyEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

Probably better than if the game actually launched and was everything they dreamt for. Because then they'd realize for them the excitement was in the wait, the speculation, the communities that were forming and their little bubbles they could share handies. After the game releases they'll find themselves at a loss of all that and they'll despair. Even if the game was the one they had dreamed of it'd never live up for the excitement of the hype.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's actually pretty impressive right now if you are into space. I rather enjoy mining. Put a little Carbon Based Lifeforms on and chill. It scratches the space exploration itch.

Repressed Homosexual
Star Citizen is one of the best examples to this day of what we call the sunk cost fallacy.

It's the same reason why people stay with organizations like Jehovah's Witnesses. "Oh, I invested so much of my money, time and myself into this, I can't bow out..."

Syl

Cipher

Don't watch that unless you're really interested. The guy is an early backer. I'll just quote him at the end:

28:30: "As of Star Citizen 3.5.1 at the time of this video, Star Citizen is an absolutely unplayable fucking nightmare."

Beastro

Arcane
Star Citizen is one of the best examples to this day of what we call the sunk cost fallacy.

It's the same reason why people stay with organizations like Jehovah's Witnesses. "Oh, I invested so much of my money, time and myself into this, I can't bow out..."

That's part of the reason behind sunken cost from just a monetary point, but there's also the deeper value investment. The other bit is what this game aims to provide, however unfeasible, a scope no typical game has and a chance to get it that won't come again at least for some time (especially if this fails).

To use your example of JWs, it can also be that to abandon it after the end of the world predictions come and go within incident means abandoning too much of what they've hitched to that particular star and they don't want to live in a world without it and let down by it.

The fans want everything this game promises to deliver and it's become a promise so big they don't want go without it, even if it just remains a hope.

Norfleet

Star Citizen is kind of reminding me of "the curse of oak island".
Is that the big hole in the ground that people think loot is buried in?

My theory is nothing is there and whoever made that is simply trolling. Consider: Wouldn't it be FUNNY AS SHIT to dig a big hole in the ground and act like there's something in it, so long after you're dead and gone, people will still be getting trolled by it and occasionally dying from it, trying to find the big nothingburger you buried in it? Now realize that human nature doesn't change, so somebody back then probably had this same thought.

Perkel

Arcane
It's like Nu Male's Sky all over again
No man's sky entire development, release mess and then slow fixing happen while Star Citizen was in development.
NMS was never fixed and neither will this be.

NMS is more or less right now how it was promoted back then. It took them ~2 years but in the end what they promoted happened. They will be releasing mega update in few days that adds VR and optimizes game a lot.

It is still mediacore game though as none of its components like space combat, exploration, base building etc is actually fun. Exploration is strongest part but you quicklyrealize that every planet is the same with very slight modifications and flora/fauna that repeats itself once you see mostly everything.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even the natives on the official reddit are getting restless.

Still no footage from Squadron 42. Of course there is a new .jpg though, a 700 dollar mine laying ship. In other news, they announced a new, made up project management technique („staggered development“) that will just serve as an excuse for further delays and empty patches.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's true though, I'm sure they're crunching as hell in order to slap together another completely scripted bullshit demo. I have no doubt the whales will fall for it again.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow I hate how the shadows on the landscape move with the ship. What a bunch of shit. I mean if the gameplay is going to be great then ok fine, but I suspect this game is all about graphics and not much else so that is ridiculous. It has constant texture pop in too, wtf, all that hype about CryEnginnneee and it looks like a 90s game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom