Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Fairfax

Arcane
In my experience I would agree that with all the death saves, benefits from short and long rests, and general qol features there's a lack of challenge. The players become dulled to challenge somewhat because there's no general sense of danger and realistic consequences. What optional/homebrew rules could best remedy this?
As usual, the best way to do that is through encounter design and enemy behaviour. Attack downed opponents, abuse cover and lighting, and use resourceful/interesting monsters that aren't just hp sponges with multiattack (of which 5E has plenty).

As for house/variant rules, I use some for that purpose:
The original falling damage by Gygax: 1d6 per 10 feet fallen, cumulative. 3d6 for 20ft, 6d6 for 30ft, and so on.
Rarely comes up, but the RAW are way too forgiving, with PCs from level ~8 onwards surviving absurd falls with ease, especially Barbarians.

Falling to 0hp adds one level of exhaustion.
This helps mitigate yo-yo healing and adds a consequence to being knocked out.

Greyhawk Initiative with Spell Disruption and Weapon Speed.
Makes combat more tactical and dynamic, reduces metagaming, makes players take calculated risks instead of reacting to previous turns, and rewards player skill more than the default system. Spell disruption makes spellcasting in combat more like older editions, and weapon speed factors make weapon choice more interesting. The downside is that it requires rolling a handful of dice every round, which some players may not like, and casuals/newcomers may find it too complex.

Massive Damage [DMG p. 273]
This one is pretty straightforward:
Massive Damage

This optional rule makes it easier for a creature to be felled by massive damage.

When a creature takes damage from a single source equal to or greater than half its hit point maximum, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer a random effect determined by a roll on the System Shock table. For example, a creature that has a hit point maximum of 30 must make that Constitution save if it takes 15 damage or more from a single source.

System Shock

d10
Effect
1 The creature drops to 0 hit points.
2-3 The creature drops to 0 hit points but is stable.
4-5 The creature is stunned until the end of its next turn.
6-7 The creature can't take reactions and has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the end of its next turn.
8-10 The creature can't take reactions until the end of its next turn.

It cuts both ways, of course, but it makes stronger, boss-type enemies more dangerous.

Cael

Arcane
System Shock

d10
Effect
6-7 The creature can't take reactions and has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the end of its next turn.

It cuts both ways, of course, but it makes stronger, boss-type enemies more dangerous.[/QUOTE]
Not really. Anything that creates a much more dangerous scenario is automatically against the players for the very simple reason that whichever enemy mob it is only faces it for an encounter while the players have to face it with their character multiple times.

Put it another way: You can win 1000 fights, but you can only lose once.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been working on my own setting, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where I'm satisfied enough with it to actually run a campaign in it. Are there any good books or something about great settings that I could use instead? Afaik there's no official adaptations for Dark sun or Spelljammer for 5e. Any good homebrew conversions out there? If I had to ask you, fellow Codexers, what's the best book/digital document containing a setting to use for a 5e campaign, what's your answer?

Fairfax

Arcane
If you want a tool to help create your D&D setting, I'd recommend this book:
GfnUePC.png

As for 5E, the only settings with official sourcebooks are Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Ravnica (MTG shit). Ravenloft has info in the Curse of Strahd module, but it's not a full sourcebook. Old books about other settings should be fine, though, and most, if not not all, have 5E conversions made by fans.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
-Get rid of all artists and hire a bunch of mysoginic artists from the 80s to replace all the insanity.

YES!

Don't get your hopes up tho, bucko. The hobby's crawling with incels and nice guys.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If you want a tool to help create your D&D setting, I'd recommend this book:
World Builder's Guidebook

This! So good. It's not flawless, of course, but it has a lot of good information in a compact form. The PDF is only 5 bucks on Drivethru; I liked it enough to also buy a physical copy from Amazon for roughly 18 pounds sterling.

I think I may have also bought other PDFs for the same purpose, but haven't really read any of them. That one book + a few random online generators have been everything I've needed.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait until Disney buys D&D. You'll see.

Anyways, here's some Jeff Easley to purify your eyes and souls.

DfGJhMoXUAIPbFN.jpg:large

jeff_easley_dsg.png

a3QfxjV.jpg

7a555cb97522eaa2a1c1e771e06ad5cf.jpg

eb7fcaf095cb2acdc3ee9bb36ee7be9a.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Think you guys would like lamentation of the flame princess artwork more. Also i dont really see the point to use 5E for homebrew worlds , any retro-clones can do the job. 5E is really to play official forgotten realms .

Some samples:

ab79cb69acd461dff068c4f7956508b8.jpg

13707621_734697680006542_3737249670419430319_n.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I started my 5e game set in Dark Sun.

After trying it now, I can say Dark Sun is easily the best D&D setting I've played (however I'm not an expert, I just know FR and Dragonlance). Each monster entry in the manual is conceptually good enough to creatre a great encounter, or even a full dungeon, rather than a mere stat block.

So much to discover and do in the world, and the world really suits all levels of play up to 20. The problem is, so many cool things in the setting, and you want everything to make it into the adventure :D

The quality of the ideas and how they are developed is usually great, but there's some stupid things that need to be removed or tweaked. For starters, the Prism Pentad books completely fuck up the setting, making it similar to playing Middle-Earth right after Sauron is destroyed. Much more interesting to simply ignore all that.

Not sure it can easily sustain more than one long campaign though, not being as extensive as other settings. But for me one campaign is good enough.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
System Shock

d10
Effect

It cuts both ways, of course, but it makes stronger, boss-type enemies more dangerous.
Not really. Anything that creates a much more dangerous scenario is automatically against the players for the very simple reason that whichever enemy mob it is only faces it for an encounter while the players have to face it with their character multiple times.

Put it another way: You can win 1000 fights, but you can only lose once.

not if you apply it only to unique (named) enemies and bosses

btw, interested in dark sun 5e conversion if there is one

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
checked for anything at least semi official

No, and with the Eberron announcement unlikely that we'll see one anytime soon.

It's not like you really need an official launch. There's at least three comprehensive homebrew conversions to choose from (or more likely, to combine into the base of what you want to play). Two of them are good quality stuff.

But if you want to stick to official 5e material, there's an official Unearthed Arcana Mystic class to be the Psionic, which I use. Also, you have the 4e Dark Sun stuff, not very good but another point of reference. Of course that's not enough to run a Dark Sun game.

Checkist of what you need to adapt:

-Psionics (both a dedicated psionic class, and lesser powers for everyone)
-Arcane Defiling
-Elemental clerics
-Bards, which are not typical D&D bards
-Races, which are rather specialized
-Spell changes and restrictions (create water? lol)
-weapons, armor, items, breakage.
-Monster Manual.

As mentioned above, I found three homebrew conversions that deal with almost everything in that list. Still, I had some work to do until everything was to my satisfaction.

Finally you have to decide on what you'll do with the setting, as most adventures and sourcebooks assume the Sorcerer King Kalak was killed, others even jump to the point where the Dragon was killed, and that makes everything else turned upside down.

If you don't know the setting in detail, the novels are a good introduction (rather mediocre even for D&D standards, beware).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/eberron

EBERRON: RISING FROM THE LAST WAR
D&D CAMPAIGN SETTING AND ADVENTURE BOOK

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

PI_jkwhcuwhuch11jsqnx.png

Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Whether aboard an airship or a train car, embark on thrilling adventures shrouded in intrigue! Discover secrets buried by years of devastating war, in which magic-fueled weapons threatened an entire continent.

In the post-war world, magic pervades everyday life, and people of all sorts flock to Sharn, a city of wonders where skyscrapers pierce the clouds. Will you find your fortune on mean city streets or scouring the secrets of haunted battlefields? Will you throw in your lot with the mighty dragonmarked houses, ruthless families who control whole nations? Will you seek truth as a newspaper reporter, a university researcher, or a government spy? Or will you forge a destiny that defies the scars of war?

This book provides tools that both players and Dungeon Masters need to explore the world of Eberron, including the artificer character class—a master of magical invention—and monsters birthed by ancient warmongering forces. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• A comprehensive campaign guide to Eberron, a war-torn world armed with magic-fueled technology, from one of DM’s Guild bestselling titles of all time: Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron.
  • Quickly dive into your pulp adventures using the easy-to-use adventure locations crafted for the book, with maps of lightning trains, airships, floating castles, skyscrapers, and more.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and noirish intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.
  • Include a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland.
  • Play the artificer, the first official class to be released for 5th edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook. The artificer melds magic and invention to craft objects of wonder.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new game element: a group patron—a background for your whole party.
  • 16 new race/subrace options—the most of any D&D book to date—including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars.

hwgxasxeberron_cover_alt.png

WHERE CAN I BUY IT?
Grab an alternate cover designed by Vance Kelly (Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foesalt cover) through game stores, or pick up a standard cover by Ben Oliver (Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation) anywhere all on November 19 and venture into the pulp fiction fantasy setting of Eberron! Pre-order now at your local game store, book stores such as Barnes & Noble, or online at retailers like Amazon.

ITEM DETAILS
Price: $49.95
Release Date: 19 November, 2019
Format: Hardcover

Standard cover
rating_prosper.png

Alchemist

Arcane
Seriously, yeah that has to be one of the worst covers for a 5E book yet. Looks like a speed painting, with possibly the worst rendition of a warforged I've seen. And even that is an afterthought, with the focus being on some punk elf with a critter. Yeah that totally says Eberron... :roll:

Alternate cover looks nice though. I guess they are throwing a bone to the friendly local game stores by deliberately making the standard cover shitty.

Fairfax

Arcane
6 new race/subrace options—the most of any D&D book to date
This is false. :rpgcodex:

Heh, indeed the Player's Handbook has what, nine races?

Not even going into old editions.
It says 16, I messed up the quote. :M

I was referring to 16, though. The Complete Book of Humanoids has a lot more than that, as do the 3E Monster Manuals I, II, and III.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom