Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

Poseidon00

Arcane
Icewind Dale 1. Because I did the big mistake of playing the 2nd one before it, and I just felt weird trying to play it. But I will - eventually.

I love all of the infinity engine games but I find Icewind Dale 2 unplayable. The whole ice stages bore me to death, I think i've only ever gotten past it once, only to get bored in the Underdark.

I normally like 3E but this crippled version of it isn't compelling either.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
how dare you delet your posts

you have been demoted to second lieutenant

tumblr_mezniqsCH41rrpsd7.gif

I can't block someone who likes FFT.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Get a room you two

Never played the Krynn games

Also never played through Ultima 9, when I originally tried the game my PC was too weak so it felt like a slow-motion movie, probably dodged a bullet there

That said, I've played a lot of games to the halfway mark and then abandoned them for another shiny new game, the ratio of my finished games versus games I played a lot is abysmal

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Get a room you two

Never played the Krynn games

Also never played through Ultima 9, when I originally tried the game my PC was too weak so it felt like a slow-motion movie, probably dodged a bullet there

That said, I've played a lot of games to the halfway mark and then abandoned them for another shiny new game, the ratio of my finished games versus games I played a lot is abysmal
You should play the Krynn trilogy.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Decline" and "disagree" are fine though.
I've been rating these posts "decline", but I should note in fairness something I've pointed out several times before, namely that a sizeable contingent of Codexers refuses to play any CRPGs released before 1998. Personally, I blame Baldur's Gate. :M

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played
Never like in I never even launched that shit? There's possibly only one such cRPG on my list. Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm prepared for what's coming. And I'm not farming retarded tags.

I also didn't really play way too much of some other classics, like Betrayal at Krondor or both Icewind Dales. There are also some (not many of them, but still) GBxes which I never even installed as well, and some oldest of M&Ms, but are they all classics? I doubt that.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Gothics, Witchers and other 3rd person action hybrid games are not my thing.

Dark Suns and Realms of Arkanias seem to be permanently on my to-do list after I'm done doing the next thing I'm gonna do.

Vrab

Learned
There are loads of games that many people here would consider great that I've never tried for various reasons. I never played any blobbers for example, because by the time I got into rpgs in the late 90ies they were no longer a thing. On the other hand I also never played Fallout 4 and Skyrim because I got enough disappointment by playing FO3 and Oblivion, just seeing screenshots and some basic info was enough to decide not get more of the same. At least those aren't considered great here, heh.

I also tried getting into Witchers, played first one for a while, got to whatever part of the game, lost interest. Second one I lost interest in after some very long interactive cutscene toward the beginning. Never tried third.

But from games that I would expect myself to like and have never played seriously are PS:T and Arcanum. I started both mind you. PST I lost interest in after a few days (I can't honestly say why, it seemed good, all my friends enjoyed it greatly, they tease me for not playing it to this day) and Arcanum I just never managed to break the ice into because I'm not a fan of steampunkish magical/technological hybrid settings.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've been rating these posts "decline", but I should note in fairness something I've pointed out several times before, namely that a sizeable contingent of Codexers refuses to play any CRPGs released before 1998. Personally, I blame Baldur's Gate. :M

The truth is that I have nothing against cRPGs that I can attribute to their age when it comes to technological advancements. My issues are of a different kind that have to do with evolution of the genre:
  • I prefer cRPGs focused on a single character over a party of characters (e.g. Fallout over Baldur's Gate). Because of their tabletop origins, older cRPGs were heavily biased towards parties, and they still very much are.
  • I prefer unique settings over standard high fantasy settings (again, Fallout over Baldur's Gate, and pretty much every D&D cRPG and those inspired by D&D, which covers pretty much 99% cRPGs from the 80s and 90s). Again, tabletop influence = lots of D&D influence = lots of fairly generic fantasy settings.
  • And last but not least, I'm more of a fan of quest-based cRPGs with a developed narrative, over standard hack and slash. This does have to do a lot with the infancy of the genre, nowadays only very specific sub-genres of RPGs are devoid of deep narratives and quests, such as dungeon crawlers or Diablo clones.
I do see pictures of older cRPGs and sometimes get the feeling they are more interesting than they appear at first glance.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

The truth is that I have nothing against cRPGs that I can attribute to their age when it comes to technological advancements. My issues are of a different kind that have to do with evolution of the genre:
  • I prefer cRPGs focused on a single character over a party of characters (e.g. Fallout over Baldur's Gate). Because of their tabletop origins, older cRPGs were heavily biased towards parties, and they still very much are.
  • I prefer unique settings over standard high fantasy settings (again, Fallout over Baldur's Gate, and pretty much every D&D cRPG and those inspired by D&D, which covers pretty much 99% cRPGs from the 80s and 90s). Again, tabletop influence = lots of D&D influence = lots of fairly generic fantasy settings.
  • And last but not least, I'm more of a fan of quest-based cRPGs with a developed narrative, over standard hack and slash. This does have to do a lot with the infancy of the genre, nowadays only very specific sub-genres of RPGs are devoid of deep narratives and quests, such as dungeon crawlers or Diablo clones.
I do see pictures of older cRPGs and sometimes get the feeling they are more interesting than they appear at first glance.
Dark Sun had a unique setting.
But, if you don’t like party based RPGs then there’s not many older games for you.

Zeriel

Arcane

I will say that a lot of it is format issues. I played a TON of DOS games (probably most that are worth playing) in the early 00's on a native DOS machine that had post-DOS hardware but still the proper operating system, a soundcard, a CRT monitor, etc, and it was a great experience. But trying to play those games on Dosbox with a new LCD is just a shit experience nowadays, even games I know are great are just not that fun when experienced the way most people experience them now.

So I can relate to some extent, if people don't play them because of actual criticisms of the games (like "muh modern UI") that's dumb, but the lack of proper hardware to play them the way they are meant to be played is an issue going forward.

Viata

Arcane
A good game is a good game, no matter what you are using to play it. I play old games way more than new games, some I have never heard before. So there is no "nostalgia" bullshit for me.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
A good game is a good game, no matter what you are using to play it. I play old games way more than new games, some I have never heard before. So there is no "nostalgia" bullshit for me.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I will say that a lot of it is format issues. I played a TON of DOS games (probably most that are worth playing) in the early 00's on a native DOS machine that had post-DOS hardware but still the proper operating system, a soundcard, a CRT monitor, etc, and it was a great experience. But trying to play those games on Dosbox with a new LCD is just a shit experience nowadays, even games I know are great are just not that fun when experienced the way most people experience them now.

So I can relate to some extent, if people don't play them because of actual criticisms of the games (like "muh modern UI") that's dumb, but the lack of proper hardware to play them the way they are meant to be played is an issue going forward.

Yeah, this too. I can easily emulate a console game, but I tried playing Ultima IV and the game, for some reason, stopped working on me after character generation...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom