Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I expected to at least to get some kind of summery of what happened to my ship mates and the planets I visited, but nope.[/spoiler]
I think you can ask Kriea about your companions' and the planets' eventual fates and she'll tell you how they end up.

I did that but felt really cheap, and then I'm not sure I trust her and her weird visions.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My half year report.

1. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC) | 2 Jan - 39hrs
  2. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC) | 6 Jan - 6hrs
  3. Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode 1 (PSV) | 11 Jan - 6hrs
  4. Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Episode 2 (PSV) | 13 Jan - 4hrs
  5. Mother Russia Bleeds (PC) | 13 Jan - 4hrs
  6. Odin Sphere: Leifdrasir (PS4) | 19 Jan - 39hrs
  7. Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP) | 20 Jan - 55hrs
  8. Braveland (PC) | 21 Jan - 4hrs
  9. Star Ocean 5 (PS4) | 26 Jan - 40hrs
  10. 河洛群俠傳 (Ho Tu Lo Shu : The Books of Dragon) (PC) | 16 Feb - 75hrs
  11. Beneath a Steel Sky (PC) | 17 Feb - 3hrs
  12. 20 Minute Metropolis (PC) | 3 Mar – 0.5hrs
  13. Massive Chalice (PC) | 26 Mar – 18hrs
  14. A Short Hike [PC] 6 Apr – 1.5hrs
  15. Spoolside [PC] 6 Apr – 1.5hrs
  16. 2064: Read Only Memories [PC] 22 Apr – 10hrs
  17. Super Mario Odyssey [NSW] 28 Apr – 25hrs
  18. Gone Home [PC] 1 May – 1.5hrs
  19. Once Upon A Crime In The West [PC] May 4 – 1.5hrs
  20. Unrest [PC] May 19 - 5hrs
  21. Tacoma {PC] May 19 – 5hrs
  22. Day of the Tentacle Remastered [PC] May 26 – 4.5hrs
  23. Divide by Sheep [PC] June 1 – 6.5hrs
  24. Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich [PC] June 2 – 11hrs
  25. Xanadu Next [PC] June 8 – 15hrs
  26. Aragami [PC] June 9 – 7hrs
  27. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth [PS4] June 16 – 72hrs
  28. Championship Manager 01/02 [PC] --- - 150hrs
  29. Final Fantasy VIII [PS3] June 23 – 42hrs
  30. Steins;Gate [PSV] June 23 - 23hrs
  31. Space Pilgrim Episode I: Alpha Centauri [PC] June 28 – 1.5hrs
  32. Space Pilgrim Episode II: Epsilon Indi [PC] June 28 – 1.5hrs

flyingjohn

Arcane
Playing the so called ultimate civ v mod,vox populi.

Ai declared war and attacked unguarded city with walls,it barely brings it to red after 4-5 turns because of a single hill.I really hate how civ v makes defense so easy compared to attacking.If the city is surrounded by units without having any enemy units nearby,it should fall easily.
And that is not even getting into bullshit about insta buying units which makes defense even easier.

I can't believe i am saying this,but civ 6 actually did combat better .Separating defense from hp values of cities makes perfect sense.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nox as Conjurer.

Enjoyed it very much playing the Warrior. Not so much playing the Conjurer. A bit too much micro-management with creatures (they don't last long), spells and arrows. And player skill is more important than character skills when trying to hit moving targets with spells and arrows. I've grown much better at turn based games in recent years, but equally poorer at real time games...

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Finished Legacy of Kain Blood Omen.

Didn't mind the junky combat compared to the inabilty to fast-forward until full moon for those damn moongates to open.
Beautiful game all in all, even the not working last few cutscenes didn't manage to diminish the experience that much.
Will try to check some of those moongates until moving into the next game.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished UEF campaign in Supreme Commander. Kind of meh, expected long campaign but this was very very short and story was meh. Worse than Total Anihilation campaign. Playing now with Cyberians and pretty much the same thing as it tells same story but from other side. I guess Earth 2150/Warzone2100 still hold up as one of the best campaigns for RTSes.

Since i started playing SU i also decided to check out Planetary Anihilation and Ashes of Singularity. Both are fucking terrible. PA campaign is just string of skirmish missions while gameplay itself is retarded because while multiple planets may sound good on paper it practice it is retarded hell. For one planets are super small and at one time you can't see shit on screen, second trying to fight on multiple planets at the same time is doubly retarded. Ashes of Singularity doesn't jive well wit me. I like to have control over units and decide properly face of attack etc etc while AoS is more about zone control with huge armies and game is tuned toward that.

I will have to check finally that SU2 overhaul mod that supposedly fixed a lot about SU2.

Either way so far the best tactical gaming is SU FAF with huge huge map and me against every AI on hard with active pause. Shit is glorious micromanaging face of attack, combining forces, tactically retreating, pulling, pushing, across gigantic map.

I wish though that SU had supply system where units would have to resupply with fuel and ammunition or at least ammunition. Flying places have those and they are by far the most fun to play with planning attacks and patrol routes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Alien Isolation and jumped into Tomb Raider 2013. Somehow never got around to it before. I'm enjoying it, though it's way more combat focused than I expected. Also I thought it presented stealth as a consistent option, but a loooooot of the time the enemies auto-spot you and it's more of a Gears of War thing. Weird. It looks damn nice maxed out at 100fps though, and I like the exploration gameplay a lot. Probably gonna grab the sequels in the Steam sale because I'll be playing them I bet.

I'd love to go back and finish Shadowrun Hong Kong but man the drive just ain't there like it was with Dragonfall. Shame.

Cael

Arcane
Replaying IWD2 after installing a few mods: Light of Selune, merchant and XP extension.

Using a all-human party since the extended XP tables should mean I don't have fights where I don't get XP (and so don't have to use +LA races).

Pretty standard party.
NG Bard (melee bard who is the face of the party with all three conversation skills)
LG Monk > Cleric of Ilmater (much later splashing 1 level of Paladin for obvious reasons)
LN Monk > Dreadmaster of Bane
LN Druid (splashing 1 level of Monk)
NG Transmuter (splashing 1 level of Cleric of Oghma; handles traps and locks as a sideline)
NG Sorcerer

In goblin tunnels at Targos Docks at the moment. Fun times.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night a couple days ago. It twas excellent.

Presently playing through three games at once because I'm a fucktard:

Nostalgia (DS) - Much better than lying shitbag "critics" of its day said it was.

Diver - Deep Water Adventures (PC) - I have a fetish for diving games, this is one I hadn't played yet. It's pretty good so far, although being a Russian developed game it's far from polished.

Soul Blazer (SNES) - Been 21 years since I last beat this, figured it was time again.

Testicules

Educated
Might & Magic III (DOS)

This game is FUCKING AMAZING. I was up til 4:50am this morning playing this, and after waking up and finishing up some work due Monday, I was back playing it.

I was never into this series at all back in the day, in fact my first experience with M&M was either M&M6 or the Interplay "Ultimate RPG Archives" version of M&M4/5. Even so, I barely even touched those games as I was more into the Ultima games back then.

The interface is at least a decade ahead of its time. Beautiful ANIMATED VGA graphics with a full MT32 soundtrack (admittedly nothing fantastic; nice SFX tho) and a massive open world... plus an interface that is so intuitive that the game's manual doesn't even bother to explain it (note: it came with a reference card).

Want to hand over an item from character 1 to character 2? Just click on the item, and then click on character 2. Or, press the number of the item on the keyboard and then press F2. Or any combination of the two. This is insane for 1991. Ultima 7 would one-up it (I guess) the following year, but you cannot even compare the two imo as M&M3 is a genuine RPG like the days of yore, and Ultima 7 is some kind of adventure game (albeit AMAZING) with a clusterfuck of a combat system tacked on.

It's even got a built-in automap (just like M&M2) for the "drawing maps is hard" babies (alternately, for the "too drunk to draw straight lines" RPG connoisseurs). You could literally put this game on Steam with AI upscaled graphics (why not), change the title to "Get the Epic Lootz - WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M HAVING AN ADVENTURE????" and it would probably outsell Bard's Tale IV and M&MX combined.

I played 4/5 about 1,000,000 times as a kid, and didn't get to 3 until a couple years ago. It's amazing that it came out in 1991, just a brilliant UI that lets you rip through the game any way you want. And if you like it this much, consider yourself in for a treat: 4/5 are very similar (and imo better but that could be nostalgia talking) - 5 especially is a joy to play, and as you mentioned these games hold up better than just about any others from that era.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Kyle Katarn marathon has got me to Jedi Academy. Now starting the second story mission on Vjun ("stop that, Jaden").

Each time I play this game I am reminded how much I hate the fucking hp bloated generic_mercs and imperials in black jump suits, who for some inexplicable reason take 6 blaster shots to the head before dying, and some of the terrible gimmick levels like the one with the jetbikes. And I didn't even get to the force-IDDQD dark jedi yet... Grip3 is an absolute must to stay sane.

At least force sight gives 100% straight firing accuracy with the blaster rifle alt fire.

Puukko

Arcane
Played something pretty un-Codexian, Jet Set Radio Future which I adored as a kid and still consider my favorite game of all time. I hadn't played it since 2011 though since I was waiting for an HD port which seems very unlikely to happen at this point so I just emulated it and had a blast. The soundtrack still doesn't feel worn out after going through it god knows how many times, skating and graffiting is fun and the story is just wack, its main lesson seems to be not to trust politicians or they'll suck your soul into their magic eldritch radio tower. I did go through it in just 6 hours but someone playing it for the first time and doing all the post game stuff could easily spent 20 hours on it. I just wish the game was harder, completing the post game challenges does pose a decent challenge but if you're half decent, the AI doesn't really stand a chance against you in races and I beat the bosses really easily now.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished One Finger Death Punch 2,the game is a lot like the first one, a brawler where you use just the two mouse buttons but with a lot of stuff added,most of which are good.Recommended just like the first one.

Buy both of them while they are on sale if you are looking for little fun games,they are pretty cheap

Okagron

Prophet
Been playing San Andreas with the V1.0 version and several mods (mostly bugfixes and better graphics) and having a blast honestly.

exe

Augur
SupCom Forged Alliance campaign. They really through you into the deep end right away. Had to restart the first mission and pick UEF because those map expansion counter attacks just wrecked me. Thats unfortunately how all the missions works, turtle and only finish your objective when you are ready for the heavy counter attacks once you trigger map expansion. Always have an ASF Swarm around, otherwise those Strat Bomber or T3 Gunship counter attacks will just wreck your army in the field. I still had fun, Fatboys are my favourite unit :D

Is Supcom 2 worth playing? I have heard only bad things about it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom