Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
GridCartographer works flawlessly with the first 7 Wizardries, just saying

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I was looking for a way out of paying but GridCartographer looks very good. Does it work with Bard’s Tale?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sorta, download a map, put fog over the whole map, voila, automap

smaug
Doesn't work for Bard's Tale yet

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, no one has used the Where are we mod? Damn I really want an automap for BT’s especially, or at least a tool that will make it easy to map it out.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've used it briefly for Might and Magic 1, but it revealed too much information for my taste. Seemed to work just fine, although it's obviously built primarily for the M&M series, seeing as it didn't originally support Wiz or BT.

I still think the remaster is your best bet.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Why would I play a remaster, if I haven’t played the original.

If I need to I’ll fucking map it out like a man, I refuse to play the new one first.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I don’t need an “automap” per say just one that allows me to add notes and shit on my own, I didn’t like the one for MM1 it revealed a bit to much.

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I like old stuff. The only reason I didn’t play the Apple ii version of Wizardry is because I could find a working ROM for it.

Unfortunately, many Apple ii Roms are broken.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I like old stuff. The only reason I didn’t play the Apple ii version of Wizardry is because I could find a working ROM for it.

Unfortunately, many Apple ii Roms are broken.

Just find a full Tosec set, these should work

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, I was talking to aweigh and he said he thinks that Wizardry 1-5 are better than 6-8 because he thinks 6-8 dumbed it down.

Does anyone else share this view? Never heard it before.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I put smaug on ignore, both here and on the Discord where he stalked me to (not the Codex discord, another one I frequent). He came in there and started shitting on stuff, and revealed to the people there that I had posted screenshots of a spergout that happened in there over in the Codex's SJW thread; then when I foolishly engaged him in conversation about Wizardry (he brought it up), he pulled out the old "jap wizardry is such garbage, anime is shit" routine.

Now he wants to get everyone to shit on me because I dislike Bradley's changes, and because I think the japanese did a much better job of building upon the Wizardry foundation than he ever did in Wiz 6-7. Whatever.

I'm still annoyed he revealed the screenshot stuff, jesus fucking christ. Just leave me the fuck alone dude. Keep my name outta your mouth.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ignoring the whole drama, being able to take a rest in the middle of the dungeon and recover all HP, spells, stamina etc. really makes it more casual. Also, being able to save everywhere. I'm playing Wizardry 8 right now and I just know that if a single encounter doesn't kill me I can always somehow push through. And if it does, I can always just reload latest quicksave.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Ignoring the whole drama, being able to take a rest in the middle of the dungeon and recover all HP, spells, stamina etc. really makes it more casual. Also, being able to save everywhere. I'm playing Wizardry 8 right now and I just know that if a single encounter doesn't kill me I can always somehow push through. And if it does, I can always just reload latest quicksave.
Thanks for elaborating.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Now he wants to get everyone to shit on me because I dislike Bradley's changes, and because I think the japanese did a much better job of building upon the Wizardry foundation than he ever did in Wiz 6-7. Whatever.

One think I've noticed is that Japanese respected X of Y naming convention. Every single Wizardry game except 8th is called X of Y and it's driving me insane. Just look at this shit:
Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Wizardry 2: The Knight of Diamonds
Wizardry 3: Legacy of Llylgamyn
Wizardry 4: The Return of Werdna
Wizardry 5: Heart of the Maelstrom
Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Wizardry 8
[Extra]

Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
How does identify work in Wizardry V?

In earlier games you could leave a level 1 Bishop chugging down ale at the tavern to identify your items for free, with some chance of failure.
In Wiz V, it seems like this basically doesn't work at all.

I don't mind paying to have Boltac ID equipment, but having to ID quest items is absolute bullshit, because you need to ID some of them or you can't even use them.

Does anyone have any insight into the actual mechanics behind identifying? Even if I have a 1/100 chance to ID with a level 1 Bishop, I'd rather try that for a while than grind up another, I dunno, 4,000 gold.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
AFAIK, a lvl 1 Bishop won't be able to ID many items at all.

So you are forced to either drag a (rather useless) Bishop along or pay for the services. IIRC I regretted having a Bishop when I played it.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
octavius
Well, that sucks then. It's not a huge deal, I could easily make 3,000 gold or whatever refighting the gold statue battle, but it's annoying that the game is so full of quest items but you need to ID them to use them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom