Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Langrisser I & II to PC in early 2020

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can live with English menus and subtitles even if there are no English voice actors or spoken English. One day the translators will be Star Trek flawless and all those language barriers will be shattered.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played Shining Force II, but not this - does it feature proper tactical combat goodness?

Theldaran

Liturgist
As proof of the decline of Satoshi Urushihara's star, his designs are gone.

I don't know how good the games are, but a thing is for sure, they were coveted all around in the early/mid 90s.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Its a bit different from FE. Your heroes can hire units and depending on their class (which usualy branches out when they reach level 10, and every 10 level thereafter) they have different units and attribute scores. A hero can be a good leader with strong troops or he can be a strong fighter himself, or a caster etc.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Major decline in the quality of art...

Is that kid wearing his sister's prom tiara supposed to be this badass?
47862.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter
I've played Shining Force II, but not this - does it feature proper tactical combat goodness?

There is greater spatial tactics because (as rashiakas mentions) each hero has their own units and these units have greater power when adjacent to the hero (and conversely are weaker away from them). Also your mage heroes are typically quite fragile on their own, so you often want to surround them with their units as buffer.

There are also whole trees of different class changes for the heroes, which change what spells they have as well movement and also what units they can hire. There are only so many heroes, so you need to choose carefully otherwise you might not have a key attribute or spell or skill when you need it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played the mobile version only.I have found it surprisingly good (despite it being a shamefur F2P cash grab):
Combining troops and heroes gives a lot of build options (you can make your swordsman hero more resistant to cavalry by bringing lancers along for instance, but his damage will suffer. Healers can get bodyguards, troops that improve healing, or sorceress that help kill things).
The game is quite grindy (or expensive), but the various positioning and buffing/disabling abilities give it quite a lot of depth (and the maps are way larger than Fire Emblem heroes), but most of the battle is preparing beforehand(some party compositions work much better on some terrains than others. Building a team that synergizes well is hard, as you don't have access to all heroes, with the game being F2P).

This gives me confidence in the games being quite solid on their own (ie, witout the F2P nonsense).

Max Edge

At this pace publishing every RPG in history Japs maybe publish Megami Tensei.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Even though Langrisser Mobile is pretty good for a game of its kind, it shouldn't be taken as an indicator of how the original games play like.

Instead of Shining Force or Fire Emblem, I think the more accurate comparison of how non-Mobile Langrisser plays like would be if Advance Wars had Hero Units and more RPG elements.

I don't know about the quality of this remake though since I know they made quite a few gameplay changes (like units used to only have 10 HP just like AW but now they have HP values more similar to standard JRPGs)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, did someone try the game? It seems to be considered too easy on the forums (especially since you need to restart in NG+ or something to make things harder).

It doesn't support mouse control, which is quite bad.

Ysaye

Arbiter
So, did someone try the game? It seems to be considered too easy on the forums (especially since you need to restart in NG+ or something to make things harder).

It doesn't support mouse control, which is quite bad.

I played these remakes (Just Langrisser 2; didn't try Langrisser 1) as well as having played the original (or rather then SNES version) of Der Langrisser (or Langrisser 2).

There are a lot of different branches to the story (like multiple good, evil, a sort of neutral and chaos choices) and the difficulty changes based upon which ones you choose or attempt to go down (The characters you get, their classes change etc.) and also what you want to achieve (some achievements are probably pretty hard to achieve unless you have well planned). I felt that the remake was the same level as the original; it wasn't easier or anything.

Also it is hard to get tired of Cherie's Tits or booty in the original art a well formulated strategy game like Langrisser.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Instead of Shining Force or Fire Emblem, I think the more accurate comparison of how non-Mobile Langrisser plays like would be if Advance Wars had Hero Units and more RPG elements.

Langrisser predates advance wars by 1 year. I wonder if it took any inspiration from it. I don't recall any game with that kind of battle units before that but my memory might be failing me.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Can you pick the old artstyle?
Sort of, but it's very awkward - for example, the tileset changes (and looks pretty pixellated when blown up to modern resolutions) but the unit sprites stay the same.

The character portraits in "classic art style mode" change to the Urushihara's concept art, which also looks awkward because they weren't really drawn in poses that would fit that sort of storytelling (in the original games you never see full body art of the characters, just a small box portrait of their head.) There's also some characters that only exist in the remake and because they didn't make retro style art for them, you'll just suddenly see some new art style characters jammed in with the older one.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, update on Langrisser remake (I've posted some screens in Screenshot Thread recently).

Vyadhis

Damned Registrations

Re: mostly difficulty

So far (Chapter #9 of LR1), it's decent.

Previous mission (reach the green commander before he dies) completed... maybe not barely, but it required some tacticooling.

01_1rpd5t.jpg

In part due to "sudden reinforcements, lolz":

02_1b0e66.jpg

But it was expected - enemy had 0 cavalry teams, which was super suspicious (so I deployed one pike team just in case). Which cockblocked three enemy horsefag teams on the bridge. Mage chick helped too.

:obviously:

Current mission: prevent enemy commander (surrounded by blue armored pikefags) from escaping north:

03_1l2ie7.jpg

Another close one. Without 2 teams of flyfagscunts, it would've been hard.

04_1g0c5y.jpg

:dance:

Three horse teams of reinforcements again:

05_16vcn9.jpg

06_1wzctc.jpg

:bro:

So, why do people baaaw about "no challenge!"? IMO due to two reasons.

1) New systems, added in the remake, aren't "used" by the enemies. Your fags can equip Skills and Items:

07_1flfhg.jpg

Sometimes very useful ones (MOV+1, "Area of Command"+1):

08_1vsd5p.jpg

While enemies can't:

09_1ore8v.jpg

:decline:

Which is super weird, since these are mostly +5% ATK / +10% DEF thingies.

OFC clever enemy placement / setup + reinforcements get the job done on the enemy side, but still - wasted potential.

2) "Commanders' Classes Tree" has been reworked. In the previous versions, you could've chosen only one "branch", and that was it.

For example, in case of Ledin:

10_1zofvj.jpg

You could've gone either Silver Knight -> Knight Master / Grand Knight, or Lord -> Sword Master / General. Which worked totally linear (Fighter -> one of two Lv. 2 classes -> one of four Lv. 3 classes).

Since each class determined recruitable units and spells, choosing them was very important.

But!

Classes in the remake work differently. You can go back and forth through the "tree", as long as you have enough CP (you get 5 per level up and 3 for mission's MVP).

Which is IMO great idea - commanders now can be much more versatile (if you choose to make them so).

Example - Ledin

11_1u1cpe.jpg

Unlocking Lord got me Lancers (Cavalry Lv. 1) and Spearmen (Spearmen Lv. 1). And unlocking Silver Knight - Troopers (Cavalry Lv. 2). Then I unlocked first Lv. 3 class - Swordsman, which unlocked Berserkers (Infantry Lv. 2).

12_1olcf4.jpg

So Ledin's recruits can be used against all 3 basic types of enemies.

:incline:

Fun as hell, but makes the game easier than earlier games, where specialization was forced by the "one way promotion" mechanic.

It's strenghtened by the fact, that after unlocking 1st Lv. 3 class (for 30 CP), remaining two classes cost only 15 CP each.

13_1rve92.jpg

So it's cheaper to learn Highlander and High Lord for 30 CP (and get Lv. 3 Cavalry and Lv. 2 Spearmen + some weaker fliers and archers), than to advance into Lv. 4 classes (Ranger / Swordmaster). ESP. since every class has its own skills and spells.

OFC you can still "specialize" in one branch (Cavalry, Infantry, Spearmen, etc.).

Autism King out.

:oops:

IMO, as far as "tactics" go, this shit blows Fire Emblem and FFT out of the water. Too bad that Langrisser 3 & 4 were Saturn / Japan only + AFAIK decline.

Der Langrisser (apparently that's only the SNES version's name, it was originally Langrisser II) was one of my favorite games of this type due to the branching storyline with substantive choices. It's one of the only games where you're not forced to be the hero and can instead reach for ultimate power at the expense of losing most of your companions. I'd like to play this even though most Steam reviews seem mixed, but the 50€ price tag is ridiculous, specially when you can't even offer mouse support or bindable keys and your "enhanced visuals" are indistinguishable from every budget mobile game around.

spekkio

Arcane
AFAIK Langrisser 1 also got the "branching storyline" in this version. Will report later.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have the special edition of that one, as I love Der Langrisser, it's a great series and the remake is okayish to enjoy the story, it's not that great though.

It's great that we have a english version of the game and of course it blows FE out of the water.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Der Langrisser (apparently that's only the SNES version's name, it was originally Langrisser II) was one of my favorite games of this type due to the branching storyline with substantive choices. It's one of the only games where you're not forced to be the hero and can instead reach for ultimate power at the expense of losing most of your companions. I'd like to play this even though most Steam reviews seem mixed, but the 50€ price tag is ridiculous, specially when you can't even offer mouse support or bindable keys and your "enhanced visuals" are indistinguishable from every budget mobile game around.

The game is pretty impressive in their C&C, in the SNES version if you do not kill Lana/Rana when you fight on the last map the ending of Elwin changes. In a lot of cases the game recognizes that you do something out of order, it's increible for a game that is not focused on C&C at all.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, update on Langrisser Remake's difficulty & stuff.

1) Chapter 11 - info on branching story:

01_1x0dku.jpg

Sadly (?), Lance decided to zerg-rush my pikemen and got his ass handed to him.

02_1b6exp.jpg

Yet still joined our team later. So no idea what this "choice" should change... :roll:

2) Chapter 13 - fake end

People in Steam comments were complaining, that "commanders are too strong now, you can stop using mercs at some point".

Sadly, it seems to be the case indeed, esp. when it comes to "bosses".

Without any grinding whatsoever, my Ledin was Lv. 18:

03_193cvc.jpg

With nice buffs to mercs due to equipment and skills:

04_1f1doy.jpg

Which sadly means shit, since emperor Dingus is Lv. 25:

05_121dwg.jpg

And has much better stats than my units without any items and skils:

06_10se6f.jpg

Which leads to this:

07_1w3cze.jpg

Yellow part in the HP bar is the predicted damage.

OFC he can also use magic (with MP-regen, which our units don't have):

08_19adjy.jpg

:roll:

Solution:

a) Lure his mercs away from him, since they're super strong inside his area of command.
b) Encircle him with your stronger units and keep whacking him, while your casters keep healing the whackers.

So it's basically same shit as before (L1 PC remake from 1998 was the same)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom