Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I think MMX had two hireling slots so if they kept that it would have been five.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well great! Now I will never get Wizardry 9!

You already have. It's called Grimoire.

But if you'd rather have this thing with 3 characters and 4 races (3 classes each) made by a bunch of incompetents, be my guest :lol:
Grimoire is Wizardry 7.5, not 9.

MMX was not terrible, only writing was meh.

MM belongs to them. HoMM belongs to them. If they not make it, they will sit on on MM license like evil greedy dragon and there will never be a blobber in MM universe now.

Ever.

And I still dream of flying around shooting blasters at people and of M&M VII.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
MM belongs to them. HoMM belongs to them. If they not make it, they will sit on on MM license like evil greedy dragon and there will never be a blobber in MM universe now.

It's not like M&M franchise if worth anything by itself. It doesn't have any unique elements that can be copyrighted. There are no unique creatures, everything is ripped of from DnD Monster Manual, no unique races, not many interesting characters. Any company can make their own Might and Magic-like game and it would be just as legit as anything Ubisoft would back. Especially after they abandoned NWC-era universe.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There was an effort to pull old universe into new one or build up more on top of new one with old lore, where I think they even acknowledged Xeen characters.

But yeah, whatever, it's not like blobber market is not thriving and there are many other games in other universes to pick from aside DM Grimrock clones and Grimoire, like

(crickets chirping)

Blobbers need any help they can get; and even if popamole studio might not get it right, other studios might pick it up later on the wave of popamole one gettin people attention again, like it happened with isometric games.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
You can buy:

- Paper Sorcerer (PC)
- StarCrawlers (PC)
- Elminage: Original (PC)
- Elminage: Gothic (PC)
- The Dark Spire (Nintendo DS)
- Stranger of Sword City (PC)

Not on sale but easily found via google for download:

- Wizardry Empire 2: The Ancient Princess (PC)
- Wizardry Chronicle (PC)
- Wizardry Gaiden 4: Beat Of The Demon's Heart (SNES)

There alone are hundreds and hundreds of hours of crawling.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Aweigh I respect your knowledge greatly but dis is not exactly what I want

(and I played paper sorcerer, elminage and SoSC)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
7 Mages and Keep are mobile ports with fucked up UI but I had a genuine blast with them. Same for Operencia. Vaporum and StarCrawlers were p. good. Also I'm p. sure I'm not gonna hate the BT4 remaster. Still not played Grimoire but only saps can doubt its greatness.

So yeah, this is no blobber boom but it's not exactly dire either.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Compared to isometric, blobbers is most underused genre ever, it is mostly ignored by developers; potentially new BT could have changed that but naturally InXile fucked it up.

Fans of turn-based step-based blobbers have it easy. Things like M&M VI-VIII are not getting made by anyone anymore. There's no single game where you can just fly over hordes of minotaurs and bombard them with meteorites.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first Ultima had a space ship, yeah, I think it was even a part of the main quest. The sci-fi thing in M&M was always connected to the overall wacky and zany feeling. They managed to be fun and entertaining without cringe Larian humor, who could've guessed.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Honestly I think old games just didn't give a shit and developers just put stuff they liked into game worlds and that's that. Which is where all the fantasy and tech comes from. Also "fantasy sci fi" was probably just strong back then.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked MMXL. It was a bit small, a bit simple, a bit basic, and a bit too low tech. But it was still a functional blobber with decent combat and I liked it more than either of the Grimrocks and a lot of other similar games.

Honestly I think old games just didn't give a shit and developers just put stuff they liked into game worlds and that's that. Which is where all the fantasy and tech comes from. Also "fantasy sci fi" was probably just strong back then.

Star Wars is basically fantasy sci-fi and it was the biggest hit ever when those games were being released, so you're probably right about devs putting whatever into the games. Moongates from Ultima were basically ripped straight from Time Bandits.

Efe

Erudite
its more likely to be from literature like pern than star wars..
at least m&m evokes 0% star wars for me.

I've heard somewhere that M&M took the idea from Star Trek episode For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom