Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Digimon SRPG got delayed until next year.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Pre-order price for physica Switch seems to be $50 so I'm assuming the same for Steam. A bit meh on the price but I never played them so we'll see. Also hoping no Denuvo if Bamco didn't cope for Vesperia's port.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of digimon anybody semi interested in monster raising should play digimon world 1.
It is a mishmash of ideas, and you will need a guide just to raise the digimon you want to,but damn if exploring the world wasn't fun.
Oh,and the game has curling,which is rare to include as a mini game.

Viata

Arcane
Speaking of digimon anybody semi interested in monster raising should play digimon world 1.
It is a mishmash of ideas, and you will need a guide just to raise the digimon you want to,but damn if exploring the world wasn't fun.
Oh,and the game has curling,which is rare to include as a mini game.
Digimon World 1 is the best digimon game, after that the 3DS/PSP one is also great and kinda based on DW1.

Jinn

Arcane
So Digimon is good/suitable for a grown man to play? Color me interested.

deuxhero

Arcane
Cyber Sluts is actually more mature than you'd expect from a monster raising game in a franchise aimed at kids. Not Deathkill 3: Vehicular Homicide mature, but mid-late teens instead of the fairly young children you'd expect. I'd actually compare it to Soul Hackers but lighter.

As for the two in one thing, this is because the original game was Vita only and it was ported to the PS4 for western release with some minor changes (NG+ and a hard mode that's fun at the start and tedious as fuck later). They included the PS4 release of the original game in the Nipponese version of the sequel, and I understand that version had some extra costumes.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
RotK: Legend of Cao Cao is coming to Steam... but it's free-to-play mobile game adaptation by Nexon!

ss_07d779c168866ed9ca664c9d44eedb42c56dfb4c.600x338.jpg
ss_d1d65195df97d5229686884a8f4f2f3c9246493f.600x338.jpg

From mobile platforms to PC
The timeless SRPG Classic, Romance of the Three Kingdoms: The Legend of CaoCao (Tactics), is now available on PC. KOEI presented its title of ROTK in 1998, and due to its popular demands, in 2018 there was an online converted and a remade version launched for the global market via mobile.
And now, in 2019, we are delighted to present to you Romance of the Three Kingdoms: The Legend of CaoCao (Tactics) on PC! Now, you can enjoy the strategic tour de force "The Legend of CaoCao (Tactics)" for PC.

Renowned SRPG Masterpiece, ROTK
Experience the remarkable journey to the momentous period of bedlam in 184 A.D. The period when the downfall of the great Han Dynasty and the difficulties of the Yellow Turban collided. Unify all the lands and lead your commanders with tactful strategies and test your might against worthy opponents.

Classic & Retro Style: Pixel Art
The first ever spin-off and the officially updated and released version of the Three Kingdoms series shows off its classic retro vibe through the style of Pixel Art. The unique Pixel Art UI of ROTK will evoke nostalgia for all users, providing truly unprecedented gameplay experiences.

Turn-Based Strategy Simulation
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: The Legend of CaoCao (Tactics) comprises turn-based gameplay through battles with stories or real-time battles. Depending on the very single move you make, it can either lead the battle to victory or an epic failure.
Formulate diverse strategies and attain different results every time and make sure to be vigilant of varies crucial elements in game. Terrain types, positioning of commanders and their specialties should all be carefully noted when making each one of your moves.

Stories followed by the great Legend
Through Story Mode, there will be scenarios based on the actual chief commanders’ battle records, taking place on the historical battlefields.
Unravel different stories and relive the lives of all the great commanders from CaoCao, to all the other great commanders that have left a mark in history.

Journey to Unification
Conquer all 112 divided domains and achieve one large unified empire. And make sure you draft new and trained armies and fortify your domains to prevent any possible invasions.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/falcom-...end-of-heroes-zero-no-kiseki-and-ao-no-kiseki

Easy Allies: I know you get this question a lot, so this is not going to be a new one for you, but I know a lot of very passionate Legend of Heroes fans would love to play the Crossbell games (The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki and The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki). Is there any chance of getting an official localization that people could enjoy?

Kondo: “The thing about both of those games is that they were originally developed for PSP in Japan, and then later on they received what’s called the Evolutionversions of them in Japan, but the point is is that they’re no longer able to be played on modern console(s). So what we want to do as a company—what we’re actually starting to prepare for—is to be able to bring both of those games to modern console(s). So right now it’s still in the very early stages and there’s not much to be said about it, but as we do this and as those plans become a little bit more solidified, we would like to absolutely start talks with foreign publishers and things, and get that conversation going to bring these games finally out to fans here in the west.”

Still no release date.

They've added English achievements for Scarlet Grace few days ago: https://steamdb.info/app/686720/history/?changeid=U:12137980

Coming soon?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I find it interesting Idea Factory/Compile Heart making a better presence on Steam than supposedly bigger companies. Numbers of followers of Steam Publisher Pages:

Koei Tecmo - 59,533
Idea Factory - 48,745
XSEED - 21,517
Spike Chunsoft - 20,799
Arc System Works - 13,618
NIS America - 12,316
Marvelous Europe - 5,281
Aksys Games - 1,585

Unfortunately we don't have the good old SteamSpy anymore, but their games generally get more reviews too. Someone at Idea Factory must understand Steam and PC gaming pretty well, especially compared to NISA and Koei Tecmo.

Well, if only it was Falcom.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Several western websites published interviews with Toshihiro Kondo, president of Falcom.

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/8...teel-iii-and-the-state-of-zemuria-in-the-west
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ni...ew-feature-trails-of-cold-steel-3-switch-ys-9
https://noisypixel.net/nihon-falcom-president-toshihiro-kondo-interview/
https://www.tech-gaming.com/toshihiro-kondo-1/
https://www.tech-gaming.com/toshihiro-kondo-2/

Some interesting bits. I picked mostly about publishing and business sides of things, you can read more interesting things about the games themselves at the links.

About Ys 8 NISA'd:

USGamer said:
Speaking of Ys 8, there was some controversy with the localization of it and it was redone entirely. That's a lot of work obviously. So I was curious, has that affected future vocalizations of Falcom titles, or at least how the studio approaches collaborations on them going forward?

Well, as you know, the localization aspects were handled by NIS America. And once this happened, we obviously received a report and we took a very hard look at this. And what we were promised was that they would you know make sure to oversee [Trails of Cold Steel] 3's localization and all the localizations going forward much more carefully, as well as to actually add people who had worked on previous games in either Ys or Trails series to ensure consistency and to ensure quality. And so through that experience we actually feel that our relationship grew stronger. So overall it turned into a positive.

PC and Switch are good, but Falcom still has no bandwidth to do make games for more than one platform:

RPG Site said:
RPG Site: During an interview in 2017, you mentioned that Falcom as a company would like all of your titles to release on Steam. Is that still a goal for the company, with titles like Cold Steel III – and maybe others as well?

Toshihiro Kondo: Our stance has not changed – we’d still love for people to be able to play these games on PC, but the truth of the matter is that we are a small company, and we can only develop for one main platform at a time, and we cannot divert our resources for ports and things like that would get in the way of our work developing new games. That’s why we have partnerships with companies like NIS America in order to help us do those things – and that’s the situation we’re in right now, relying on other companies to do those things. I am sorry that we aren’t able to get these games out for everyone at the same time, but that’s just the situation we’re in.

USGamer said:
And as a gamer myself, as an aside, I personally love the Switch. In Japan when this question comes up, it always, we get this weird thing where it's like "Falcom doesn't want to work on Switch," or "Falcom doesn't like Switch," or something. And that's not... The plain and simple truth of it all is that we just don't have the knowhow and the ability to be able to work on Switch games right now.

In the TechGaming interview he says Falcom has 62 employees and 50 of them are developers. Falcom is all about making games.

New Sorcerian? Maybe:

USGamer said:
There's a long history of IPs under Falcom, and some like The Legend of Heroes and Ys have remained, but are there any other plans to bring back or revitalize past properties?

Yeah. The thing about Ys and the Kiseki series, or Trails series, is that they're very character-focused games and the characters stand out very strongly. However, I would love to do something that's a bit more gameplay focused. So two examples from that from our past catalogue would be the Xanadu series and the Sorcerian series. So it'd be great if we could revive those in the future.

[...]

To circle back on some earlier questions, where do you see Nihon Falcom in the next five years?

So obviously we want to continue expanding and creating games in both the Ys and the Trails series. Beyond that, and I kind of mentioned it earlier, [we want] to make new challenges and maybe bring back other things, like we talked about Xanadu or Sorcerian. I want to gradually begin to increase the number of development staff that we have so we can have another line for development to be able to make projects like that, or even to be able to create a brand new IP. That's what we'd like to challenge going forward.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I didn´t really know much about PS4 censorship last Sony console i owned was the PS2. It's really nonsensical.

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/concept...classmating-rituals-not-applied-to-pc-version
Conception Plus for PS4’s modified ‘Classmating rituals’ not applied to PC version.

PC version the same as the original Japanese release.

The modified “Classmating rituals” in the western PlayStation 4 version of Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve Stars will not be applied to the PC version, publisher Spike Chunsoft confirmed.

“During the Classmating rituals, the Star Maidens’ 3D models will appear as blue and purple (rather than flesh-colored) and will not have detailed facial features. The animation itself is identical,” the publisher said in a blog post.

It continued, “This change does not affect gameplay and no other content has been modified. This content change will not be applied to the Steam (PC) version.”
An example Classmating ritual scene can be seen in this gameplay video. Here is a screenshot:

Conception-Plus_07-16-19_No-Edit.jpg

Here is our mock-up—not an official screenshot—of what that scene might look like with the aforementioned edits:

Conception-Plus_07-16-19_Edited.jpg

Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve Stars is due out for PlayStation 4 and PC on November 5 in North America and November 8 in Europe.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS4
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim launches November 28 in Japan, third trailer and details
VanillaWare's dramatic adventure game finally dated.

Sal Romano3 hours ago340

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim will launch for PlayStation 4 on November 28 in Japan for 8,980 yen, publisher Atlus and developer VanillaWare announced.https://gematsu.com/2019/07/13-sent...vember-28-in-japan-third-trailer-and-details#

Early purchases will include the 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Artworks digital art book.

A 14,980 yen “Premium Box” limited edition will include a special box, 132-page “Secret File” art book, mech paper craft model kit, PlayStation 4 original theme and avatar set, and copy of the game.

Here are the latest details on the game, via its official website:

■ A Drama About 13 Boys and Girls Told Over the Past and Future

“This is an emergency alert. Large, unidentified, meteorite-like objects are destroying the city as we speak…”

The news anchor announces the end of normal everyday life.

Among those who escaped were a group of boys and girls who confronted the despair that descended.

They pilot huge robots called “Sentinels” and throw themselves into the final battle for the fate of mankind.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_001.jpg

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_002.jpg

■ 13 Playable Characters

The story unfolds from the perspectives of 13 main characters. By following the stories of all 13 characters, the truth behind the “fate of ruin” will draw nearer.

■ Three Parts: “Battle,” “Adventure,” and “Archives”

Savor the story in “Adventure,” throw yourself into battle in “Battle,” and dive deeper into the story in “Archives”… By advancing through these three parts, you can fully enjoy the world of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_003.jpg

Adventure

Solve the mysteries held by each of the 13 protagonists.

By considering the keywords obtained in conversation, they will change into different keywords, and by using them against other characters, you can obtain new keywords.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_004.jpg

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_005.jpg

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_006.jpg

Archives

Look back at the facts that have been revealed and uncover the truth.

An archive in which you can comprehend the game’s carefully constructed world. Here you can replay previously viewed “event” scenes, and re-read and examine the mystery-filled story with a bird’s eye view.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_007.jpg

Battle

Fight against the world’s crisis by piloting Sentinels.

Organize and utilize four types of Sentinels—“Close-Range,” “Hand-to-Hand,” “Long-Range,” and “Flight”—in exhilarating simulation battles against the huge enemy “kaijuu” attacking the city.

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_008.jpg

■ Box Art

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_009.jpg

■ Premium Box

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_010.jpg

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_011.jpg

■ First-Print Bonus

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim_2019_07-18-19_012.jpg

Atlus will host a live stream special later today featuring special guests. The pre-show will begin at 18:00 JST, while the main program will begin at 20:00 JST. It will be live streamed on both YouTube and Periscope.

Watch the latest trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can someone recommend an "JRPG" where

1 - The MC is not androgynous or teenager or use an oversized sword. He doesn't need to be an sorcerer( favorite D&D class), only use an spear, halberd, mace, warhammer, bow, crossbow, musket, rifle, or anything that is not an sword. Maybe i can make an exception to an Rapier, if the MC uses the rapier as an trusting weapon and there are no overswing ballet-like combat animations.
2 - The story isn't about an group of teenagers saving the world.
3 - The combat is not bad, like this real time combats with BS mechanics like cooldowns where you spam the same rotation 5000 times or turn based combat with an line A vs line B and the same strategy can work on 90%+ of battles

I confess that most "jrpg's" that i liked was exactly the most "western like" aka Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls and some old ones like 7th saga. I don't care if is linear os scripted since i love the scripted and linear parts of BG2. Or if have anime artstyle.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No better thread to do this. I'm looking for a jRPG which was out on first PlayStation. I played it when I was an absolute boi, 2000 or 2001, I understood nada but I have some vivid memories (going around and killing demonic fuckin' dragonflies, I had a team, there was typical FF combat, first locations were sunny greenlands - rest is muddled by time). Some of you must be some serious autists, help me finding part of my childhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom