Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the reason that alternative forms of obtaining information from NPCs is so underutilized?

laclongquan

Arcane
Well that is because their stories suck donkey balls. Just because it's writings in a GAEM dont make it any less demanding quality-wise.

Sadly many game writerz believe exactly so. And thus that must have meant gamers dont read their stories because they are illiterate, not because the writers (and their writings) are subpar.

S.torch

Arbiter
Many devs are for some reason convinced that players don't bother to read their stories. I'm sure you've watched that disgusting Emil Pulg..whateverthefuckhisnameis (Bethesda's) presentation about stories etc. They think just because their shitty little focus group is full of ADHD'd retards then they should just go for quest markers etc. instead of actual information delivered by language.

Even here in the Codex you have people that hate to read. Gameplayfags just want to smash smash.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can charm Centeol (the spider woman) in BG1 and learn about Irenicus too.
Screens pls.
tECqF8O.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't even need to charm her. However, in the original version of the game she calls him "Jon Icarus".

centeol.jpg

Like many characters in the Baldur's Gate games, Jon Irenicus is based on a character from James Ohlen's AD&D tabletop adventures. This is an earlier reference to that same character.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tanova appears in Baldur's Gate 2 as one of Bodhi's vampires, although there's no indication there that she's anybody special.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
By this I'm referring to:
  • Charm in BG1. They put a lot of effort into giving NPCs charmed dialogue, even NPCs you wouldn't consider charming. Nearly every named NPC has charmed dialogue. Saw much less use in BG2, sadly. I think every BG clone since has skipped this(?)
  • Conjure Spirit in Arcanum. Underutilized, likely due to production constraints.
  • Mind Reading in Divinity 2. Costs XP to use to offset such a powerful ability.
  • I'm pretty sure Wiz8 had some special dialogues if you charmed NPCs.
Can you think of any other RPGs which implement mechanics like this?

Grimoire too. Mindread spell.

thesecret1

Arcane
Makes you wonder who the hell their focus group is. Reminds me of that time a play tester for Dishonored was told by an NPC that he cannot go to the second floor (which is where the objective is), so he didn't go there and just bumbled about, not knowing how to proceed

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
General lack of creativity and apathy. Yeah, I know it has been mentioned in one form or other. But I want to stress that I'd rather blame incompetence before I blame Malice.

Corvinus

Arcane
You can charm Centeol (the spider woman) in BG1 and learn about Irenicus too.
Like many characters in the Baldur's Gate games, Jon Irenicus is based on a character from James Ohlen's AD&D tabletop adventures. This is an earlier reference to that same character.
Tanova appears in Baldur's Gate 2 as one of Bodhi's vampires, although there's no indication that she's anybody special.

I always thought it was interesting to read their Charmed dialogues - and Centeol's is more in depth than most. It must have been quite a bit more work for the developers, but it is such details that makes a game stand out. Thanks for sharing. Also, does anyone know if there's any information about James Ohlen's PnP campaigns or the development of Baldur's Gate somewhere?

huskarls

Scholar
you can also heal mental illness with any heal spell in the BG games, but yeah easter eggs are in decline from a lack of conception rather than budget. maybe half of the people involved in development don't know what an easter egg is and the other half are so divorced from when it was popular thought to include obscure content

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was gonna mention the DoS talking to animals thing.

In Vanguard there was a diplomacy card game that you play with NPCs if you want information. It played sort of like a simple version of Gwent or something, and if you win you get information, quests, buffs, etc. If you lose you get nada.

I guess you could maybe include the voice logs in System Shock. You don't get to interact with any NPCs because
they are all dead
but at least you get to hear lots of information, can skip it easily if you are not interested, but best of all you can start the log playing and then get back to exploring or doing stuff while the audio plays. So you don't have to stare face to face with a goofy NPC while you listen to their shit.

I always liked being super aggressive in games, if there is an Intimidation skill I like to max that out, because as a mighty wizard short on time and patience, I shouldn't have to take any fucking around from people withholding info and whatnot. I also like it when you can attack people and they surrender before they die and tell you everything.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The barkeep rumours in BG1 & 2 were great as well.
That really made me sound retarded. I'm leaving it up anyway.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I prefer Exile: Escape from the Pit's method of obtaining information. Simply talking to the NPCs with verbs and nouns. This lets you use prior knowledge of the game to reach areas you otherwise couldn't or would have enormous difficulty with.

Somehow the thread title made me think of kidnapping, torture and blackmail rather than spells
If you know of an RPG that lets you do this, that's an acceptable addition.
Well, Vigilantes has a rather suggestive interrogation screen:
Haven't played it though, so I don't know how exciting it actually is.

Not exciting at all. You click to interrogate and then the dice is rolled and you learn an outcome. The game was fun through.

Beastro

Arcane
Interesting about BG. I'll keep that in mind when I eventually play it.

BTW is BG one of those games that to play now you really need a mod or fanpatch to fix shit or is it fine as is?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Not exciting at all. You click to interrogate and then the dice is rolled and you learn an outcome. The game was fun through.
I was tempted by Vigilantes but some reviews said the combat is basic and shallow. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom