Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cael

Arcane
Dragons have pretty poor saving throws, so Stinking Cloud and Hold Monster is always a good choice against them.
But using for example Charm Person or Hold Person vs high level humans is mostly a waste.
Stinking Cloud is the lifesaver in Treasures of the Savage Frontier, where you don't have dragonlances, and with a level cap of 11, you run into bloody ancient dragons.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Hey team bedlam, is this the correct forum to seek advice about the gold box companion. I have a saved game in death knights of keynote, I can load it from a fresh start but the GBC says there are no saved games.
Transferring characters from CoK became too damn hard so I just thought I’d modify my DKK characters.
I’m having this issue as well.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Hey team bedlam, is this the correct forum to seek advice about the gold box companion. I have a saved game in death knights of keynote, I can load it from a fresh start but the GBC says there are no saved games.
Transferring characters from CoK became too damn hard so I just thought I’d modify my DKK characters.
Are you usig gog galaxy?

When the option "sync saves with gog cloud" is checked, the saves will be in a folder named "cloud_saves" where GBC won't find them.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
See the last couple of posts in this thread:
https://af.gog.com/forum/forgotten_...gold_box_companion_pretty_vital?as=1649904300

This is for Pool of Radiance but the same principle works for the other games as well:
Even if you disable cloud saves, new save files go to the "cloud_saves"-folder which is located under the "Pool of Radiance"-folder.

You need to copy the files from the cloud folder to the POOLRAD-folder.

If you don't need cloud saves you can try this:
Disable cloud_saves from GOG Galaxy.
In the "Pool of Radiance"-folder there's a file called "dosbox_por_single.conf".
Edit it and remove the line "mount C "..\cloud_saves" -t overlay".
Now the save files should go into the "POOLRAD"-folder and you don't need to copy the save files any longer.

Feel free to ask here if you still have problems. I'll update GBC at some point but it needs time to go through all the changes that GOG has made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Gold Box Companion v2.50
  • Support for cloud saves folders of the GOG-versions. There is a checkbox to check if you want to use them. If you configure the games with the "Setup GOG" button then it's set on in those games but can be disabled later if wanted. Note that GBC only sees saves from one folder while the game seems to see saves from both cloud folder and normal save folder.
  • "Setup GOG" button now also configures FRUA.
  • You no longer set the FRUA folder to a design subfolder but instead set it normally as the other games and then a design is selected from a dropdownlist.
  • "GOG Settings" button should now work again.
  • Lots of previously unknown effects identified (thanks to Null Null and others).
  • Pool of Radiance's "two-handed sword +1, +3 vs undead" effect description corrected.
  • Monster manuals for all games included in the Resources-folder but can also be launched from GBC's main window or from the homepage.
Download:
http://gbc.zorbus.net/index.html#downloads

Monster Manuals

These are complete lists of monsters and their stats in the games, created programmatically from the data files of the games. Some monsters are listed several times because they are different monster records in the data files. There are still unknown flag and effect values. Death Knights of Krynn monsters do not have theirs spells yet listed. These lists are included in the GBC package. Also shows in what area a monster can be encountered in.

http://gbc.zorbus.net/index.html#mm

Cael

Arcane
Gold Box Companion v2.50
  • Support for cloud saves folders of the GOG-versions. There is a checkbox to check if you want to use them. If you configure the games with the "Setup GOG" button then it's set on in those games but can be disabled later if wanted. Note that GBC only sees saves from one folder while the game seems to see saves from both cloud folder and normal save folder.
  • "Setup GOG" button now also configures FRUA.
  • You no longer set the FRUA folder to a design subfolder but instead set it normally as the other games and then a design is selected from a dropdownlist.
  • "GOG Settings" button should now work again.
  • Lots of previously unknown effects identified (thanks to Null Null and others).
  • Pool of Radiance's "two-handed sword +1, +3 vs undead" effect description corrected.
  • Monster manuals for all games included in the Resources-folder but can also be launched from GBC's main window or from the homepage.
Download:
http://gbc.zorbus.net/index.html#downloads

Monster Manuals

These are complete lists of monsters and their stats in the games, created programmatically from the data files of the games. Some monsters are listed several times because they are different monster records in the data files. There are still unknown flag and effect values. Death Knights of Krynn monsters do not have theirs spells yet listed. These lists are included in the GBC package. Also shows in what area a monster can be encountered in.

http://gbc.zorbus.net/index.html#mm
Why don't you have a "Developer" tag? Someone get the perpetually butthurt joo to do his freaking job, please.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I was walking around Jelek and some weird stuff happend.

My knight disappeared from my party after a save so I can’t reload and I’m stuck with Skyla?

Is my knight gone forever?

Skyla also follows me out of town?

(I reloaded and she didn’t follow me out of town anymore, but my knight is still gone)

Also GBC does not like NPCs. Skyla spam leaving my party kept closing the program.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

My knight disappeared from my party after a save so I can’t reload and I’m stuck with Skyla?

(I reloaded and she didn’t follow me out of town anymore, but my knight is still gone)

Also GBC does not like NPCs. Skyla spam leaving my party kept closing the program.
Sounds like something is wrong. Skyla is supposed to come and go, but your party shouldn't be affected. Any mods or the like with your game?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Sounds like something is wrong. Skyla is supposed to come and go, but your party shouldn't be affected. Any mods or the like with your game?
GBC freaked out when I added Skyla so it closed then I saved with her in my party so GBC could recognize the chars but then after a battle my 2nd char (knight) disappeared and I can’t get him back unless I reload from 7 hours ago (A random Save B)

Cael

Arcane

GBC freaked out when I added Skyla so it closed then I saved with her in my party so GBC could recognize the chars but then after a battle my 2nd char (knight) disappeared and I can’t get him back unless I reload from 7 hours ago (A random Save B)
OK... You are likely to have to reload the save unless you have a more recent backup of the knight. You can add the knight back in if that is the case and just edit his XP to match the rest of the party.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I will add another one I guess.

Note taken, with NPCs create a backup save.

Cael

Arcane
I will add another one I guess.

Note taken, with NPCs create a backup save.
Next time you reach a training hall, do the following:

1. Remove a character from the party and save it.
2. Add character back in.
3. Remove it again, only this time, save it under another name.
4. Add the original back to the party.
5. Repeat for all other characters in the party.

This way, you have a backup of the character if things go wrong.

Also, having backup saves and/or saving at intervals much less than 7 hours is recommended...

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, I guess in GB bows don’t get damage from dexterity, because I bought a composite long bow and a short bow and they both do 1D6?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
So, I guess in GB bows don’t get damage from dexterity, because I bought a composite long bow and a short bow and they both do 1D6?

Standard bows don't get a bonus to damage (unless the bow is magical). Composite bows will add the Strength modifier up to whatever value the bow allows. I can't remember if that's a set value in the Gold-Box games or if it varies like it does in AD&D tabletop.

Damage is D6 due to the damage being based upon the arrow. There's only one standard type of arrow in the Gold-Box series. Even the magical ones do the standard damage plus whatever bonuses are thrown on them. That's how it worked in the days of AD&D.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In AD&D 1st edition, strength adds a damage bonus and a to-hit bonus for melee attacks, and dexterity adds a to-hit bonus for missile attacks. The Dungeon Master's Guide did optionally allow for custom-crafted bows to add a damage bonus (and a to-hit bonus?!) from strength:
AD&D1stDMG said:
Strength Bonus Considerations: The strength bonus for hitting and damage does not apply to missiles unless the character so entitled specifically takes steps to equip himself or herself with special weapons to take advantage of the additional strength. This will result in the weapon having an additional chance to hit and do the additional damage as well. In no event will it add to the effective range of the character’s weapon. Thus, the character will employ a heavier missile or a more powerful bow and heavier arrows or larger sling missiles to gain the advantage of strength. To do so, he or she must obtain the special weapon or weapons, and this is within the realm of your adjudication as DM as to where and how it will be obtained, and how much cost will be involved.
2nd edition AD&D made it easier for players to obtain the damage bonus by allowing for normal purchase of a bow suiting a player-character's strength --- except that fighters with exceptional strength (i.e. 18 followed by a percentile score) still needed to obtain custom-crafted bows that were considerably more expensive.

In Pool of Radiance, it seems that only the "fine composite long bow" adds the strength bonus to damage:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/ssis-gold-box-series-thread.61389/page-89
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564785-pool-of-radiance/faqs/73869

Cael

Arcane
The only difference between the different bows is the range. The only bow in the Krynn series that allows for strength to damage is:

The Fine Longbow, which is found in an optional area of Dark Queen of Krynn.

There are no bows with strength to damage in the Savage Frontier series.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Dexterity being added to the damage of a bow wasn't a thing until 4th Edition D&D. For 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D, I understand why...since the rate of fire on a bow was typically twice in a round and might have made it too popular an option.

Not sure why 3rd Edition didn't make the obvious leap into allowing Dexterity for damage, but there were feats available that made it happen (none in the core book). One nice touch was that 3rd Edition did allow a Rogue to sneak attack with a bow within 30 feet.

None of this matters for the Gold-Box games, though, which are based on the 1st Edition AD&D rules.

Cael

Arcane
Dexterity being added to the damage of a bow wasn't a thing until 4th Edition D&D. For 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D, I understand why...since the rate of fire on a bow was typically twice in a round and might have made it too popular an option.

Not sure why 3rd Edition didn't make the obvious leap into allowing Dexterity for damage, but there were feats available that made it happen (none in the core book). One nice touch was that 3rd Edition did allow a Rogue to sneak attack with a bow within 30 feet.

None of this matters for the Gold-Box games, though, which are based on the 1st Edition AD&D rules.
Only Crossbow Sniper in 3.5 allowed it, and even then it was half-Dex bonus and only for crossbows.

You will need that feat plus Rapid Reload (light crossbow) to even have a chance of equaling bows, and even then, the existence of composite bows with Strength damage bonus blows still blows the light crossbow out of the water. Heavy crossbow is a complete non-starter. Alternatively, you can spend another feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency (heavy repeating crossbow) to close the gap a bit, but again, in the long run, it is a losing battle.

DnD in all editions is highly anti-crossbow.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
As I said, there weren't any options in the core books. And where it did exist, you had to do specific things to make it happen (really dependent on the DM).

At least one example I can think of is Drow Fighters from the book "Drow of the Underdark." They could lose their ability to wear heavy armor in order to become a "Hit and Run" fighter, where they applied Dexterity to damage for the weapons they used in combat instead of Strength.

Cael

Arcane
As I said, there weren't any options in the core books. And where it did exist, you had to do specific things to make it happen (really dependent on the DM).

At least one example I can think of is Drow Fighters from the book "Drow of the Underdark." They could lose their ability to wear heavy armor in order to become a "Hit and Run" fighter, where they applied Dexterity to damage for the weapons they used in combat instead of Strength.
That ability only affects things within 30ft that are flatfooted. It is a poor man's sneak attack :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom