Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

PrettyDeadman

I've been visiting the Steam subreddit throughout the summer sale event, and they really are so stupid. Multiple times the other day I saw an exchange that went like "What's up with this event, it's like it's rigged." "That's because it is, duh, look at this: [link]" and then the link was just to another post of someone merely saying it was rigged. Apparently this counts as proof in retardittors' minds. They did the same kind of thing during the 2014 summer sale, too.
Maybe the post was rigged too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I don't buy the "games don't go on sale anymore" BS. A lot of AAA titles have gone on sale faster than they used to, e.g., AC:Odyssey was one of the biggest titles last year and it was 50% off only 5 months later.
Some publishers are pretty shitty about it(looking at you, 2k games), but that doesn't apply across the board.
Don't care if you buy it or not. It's beyond dispute that the sales in the last five or so years have been shittier with lower discounts than they were back in 't3h day.' Never mind the absence of flash and daily deals.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't buy the "games don't go on sale anymore" BS. A lot of AAA titles have gone on sale faster than they used to, e.g., AC:Odyssey was one of the biggest titles last year and it was 50% off only 5 months later.
Some publishers are pretty shitty about it(looking at you, 2k games), but that doesn't apply across the board.
You should install the SteamDB extension for maximum disappointment. I mean, what the fuck is this? It's Stardew Valley, but there are a lot of games like that or without any discount.

rD3d.png

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"steam sales don't exist anymore lalala"
>/me looks into the prices of various favorites (which I already own and bought at full price because good games are worth it)
>DS2 are at 10 euros, DS3 15 euros
>Dragon's Dogma for 9 euros
>Monster Hunter World for 30 euros (very recent AAA that still has a pending expansion pack to be released)
>Hollow Knight, Rabi Ribi for 9 euros

WTF more do you want you fucking cuntholes? the sales prices are still strong on many really good games. What, you want them to be available for less than the base electronic transaction fees?
So some indie decided to discount his game a bit less because his base price (Stardew Valley) was already fucking low and he understood he shouldn't sell himself too short when his game is in higher demand than many AAA and we should take this as a generalization that PC gaming is now expensive?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"steam sales don't exist anymore lalala"
>/me looks into the prices of various favorites (which I already own and bought at full price because good games are worth it)
>DS2 are at 10 euros, DS3 15 euros
>Dragon's Dogma for 9 euros
>Monster Hunter World for 30 euros (very recent AAA that still has a pending expansion pack to be released)
>Hollow Knight, Rabi Ribi for 9 euros

WTF more do you want you fucking cuntholes? the sales prices are still strong on many really good games. What, you want them to be available for less than the base electronic transaction fees?
So some indie decided to discount his game a bit less because his base price (Stardew Valley) was already fucking low and he understood he shouldn't sell himself too short when his game is in higher demand than many AAA and we should take this as a generalization that PC gaming is now expensive?
Sometimes I wonder why do these people even pretend to be paying customers? It's obvious that they want the games for basically free, they might as well just pirate it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

From my experience, I think games are going on sale as fast as they ever did, but the discounts aren't as deep. Publishers seem to treat $20 as a minimum for "big" games now, so while they'll quickly do sales at $40 or $30 and over time $20 they seem much more hesitant to go down further even years later. When the Steam Sale phenomenon started one thing that got a lot of buzz was seeing "big" games for $5 and shit like that, and I think the perspective that happens less often, or nowhere near as quickly, is what makes people complain.

I'm not a poor potato farmer so I think $20 is a fine "few years old" price, but once you get people used to something they complain when they perceive they're getting less of it.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I bought 50 games during the sale and still have 1166 games on my wishlist :M

The wishlist is where any game that looks remotely interesting goes in. It's unlikely I'll ever buy all of them.
Could you post the link to your wishlist please? There might be games I wanted to get at some point too, but completely forgot about them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Mustawd

The wishlist is where any game that looks remotely interesting goes in. It's unlikely I'll ever buy all of them.
Could you post the link to your wishlist please? There might be games I wanted to get at some point too, but completely forgot about them.

https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561197987089584/

Games: 836

:shredder:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561197987089584/
Fallout 4. Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness :prosper:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Angel of Darkness is the only Tomb Raider I don't own, but I'd get it for $1 just to experience the fail. Gonna wait and do it on GOG though someday.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam Labs: https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/labs

Steam can now “magically generate a show about the latest and greatest games”
steam-labs-580x334.jpg

There are too many Steam games for anyone to keep track of, including Valve, and the company has spent the past few years working on ways to offload the curation and discovery process to a mysterious set of algorithms. Valve now plans to get its store experiments into players’ hand much sooner – so you can now try out another new set of features as we get closer to the Steam Library redesign.

Steam Labs is now live, and currently hosts three different ‘experiments.’ The first is a collection of micro-trailers, similar to the social media bots that post six-second clips of Steam trailers. These Micro Trailers can play as you hover over games, automatically as you scroll, or as grids of footage from a given game.

Perhaps the strangest of these experiments is the Automatic Show, which will procedurally build a 30-minute broadcast of footage from new and popular games, and present it all to you in a digest format. Valve wants to have text-to-speech voiceover for the show sourced from store descriptions, but says that the early voices have been a little too robotic.

The Interactive Recommender is basically another store algorithm, but it’s one that builds from your play history and allows you to customise it. You can set a range for how recent you want your recommended games, adjust how the engine weights popularity, or limit game genres by tags.

Steam’s usual recommendations are based largely on genre and tags, but this recommender is different. “Instead,” Valve says, “it looks at what games you play and what games other people play, then makes informed suggestions based on the decisions of other people playing games on Steam.”

Valve has taken a fair amount of heat in the recent past over player-focused store changes that have had poor consequences for developers. There was the discoverability bug last year, and more recently the Summer Sale’s confusing promotional tactics had players deleting indie games from their wishlists en masse.

Hopefully a more experimental rollout of new features will mitigate those problems in the future, and Valve says in a blog post that developers will have tools to see how the new recommender is driving traffic to their games.

As all these features are being explicitly labeled as ‘experiments,’ they’re all subject to change. Valve is soliciting feedback on all of them for further improvements.

Why all of a sudden it's about the developers now?

Because of the incestuous relationship between gaming "journalists" and the industry. Imagine if Chevrolet launched a new vehicle that everyone hated and sold like shit, and the press decided to blame customers and painted GM as the poor victim of toxic motorist culture. It would be ridiculous, but the same thing.

VALVE and STEAM promoting close-minded and insular game tastes. That's a bad thing, and here's why.

Valve has released the latest in their never-ending attacks on the gaming industry today, in the form of the "Interactive Recommender", an application that offers a list of game recommendations based on a user's tastes as determined by their play time of games on Steam. It sounds perfectly innocent, doesn't it? But do not be fooled, smart and discerning gaming public, this is a tool designed to cement Valve's death-grip on the gaming industry, throttling the life and money right out of it. First, the recommendations are based on a person's STEAM GAME TIME, meaning that charming indie game about pregnant teens with cancer you just played? Doesn't count as a game to the eyes of Valve. Further, the recommendations are limited only to Steam users, one could even say EXCLUSIVELY available to them. Finally and most damning of all, the recommendations are based on a user's previously played games, promoting an echo-chamber of tastes rather than broadening users' horizons like with the recommendations offered by this very publication.

Remember, you have options. The newly opened Epic Game Store offers a wide range of highly exciting titles without the manipulative practices put in place by Valve, and offering a daring revenue split with the developers who make the games we all love. You can be a gamer and be proud, make the right choice.

Paper

Educated
fucking drama queen, just buy games you wanna play, don't just buy whatever steam recommends? sheep will sheep regardless of this thing

Sentinel

Arcane
VALVE and STEAM promoting close-minded and insular game tastes. That's a bad thing, and here's why.

Valve has released the latest in their never-ending attacks on the gaming industry today, in the form of the "Interactive Recommender", an application that offers a list of game recommendations based on a user's tastes as determined by their play time of games on Steam. It sounds perfectly innocent, doesn't it? But do not be fooled, smart and discerning gaming public, this is a tool designed to cement Valve's death-grip on the gaming industry, throttling the life and money right out of it. First, the recommendations are based on a person's STEAM GAME TIME, meaning that charming indie game about pregnant teens with cancer you just played? Doesn't count as a game to the eyes of Valve. Further, the recommendations are limited only to Steam users, one could even say EXCLUSIVELY available to them. Finally and most damning of all, the recommendations are based on a user's previously played games, promoting an echo-chamber of tastes rather than broadening users' horizons like with the recommendations offered by this very publication.

Remember, you have options. The newly opened Epic Game Store offers a wide range of highly exciting titles without the manipulative practices put in place by Valve, and offering a daring revenue split with the developers who make the games we all love. You can be a gamer and be proud, make the right choice.
that's actually pretty good. made me google the headline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom