Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TB RPGs that can challenge me.

PsychoFox

Educated
Not to brag or anything, but the gnomes that live with me in my mom's basement have taken to call me "Legendary Strategist Fox", so I ask you to recommend me TB RPGs that can truly challenge me. I've played a bunch of the recent ones (D:OS 2, Fell Seal, X-not-an-RPG-Com, and lately UnderRail, though i'm not finished with it yet) mostly on hardest difficulties and Iron-man mode a few times. So please, let me know of some decent ones that i might have missed.

deama

Prophet
Dungeon Rats was pretty hard, especially if you solo.

Sengoku Rance is fairly straightforward in the beginning, but after halfway point it ramps up difficulty massively, so much so that if you didn't play perfectly in the beginning, you might need to restart.

I hear lots of TB fans talk about knights of the chalice being good and challenging.

Tale of Wuxia is pretty hard, though I'm not sure if you'll like the type of difficulty here. The challenge in this one comes from figuring out how to perfectly execute each event (even though the event may seem easy), similiar to Sengoku Rance, but has a traditional TB system.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is pretty good, though it's a rogue-like.

Last edited:

PsychoFox

Educated

Sengoku Rance is fairly straightforward in the beginning, but after halfway point it ramps up difficulty massively, so much so that if you didn't play perfectly in the beginning, you might need to restart.

I hear lots of TB fans talk about knights of the chalice being good and challenging.

Tale of Wuxia is pretty hard, though I'm not sure if you'll like the type of difficulty here. The challenge in this one comes from figuring out how to perfectly execute each action (even though the action may seem easy), similiar to Sengoku Rance, but has a traditional TB system.

I'll check the last two out, thanks.

deama

Prophet

Tale of Wuxia is pretty hard, though I'm not sure if you'll like the type of difficulty here. The challenge in this one comes from figuring out how to perfectly execute each action (even though the action may seem easy), similiar to Sengoku Rance, but has a traditional TB system.

I'll check the last two out, thanks.
For Tale of Wuxia, I meant events not actions.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
KotC is very challenging from the beginning to the end (if you play fairly expecting the game to challenge you, if you abuse the mechanism, of course, it's a different story)

Wizardry 8 is very challenging early game, quite challenging mid-game and then it's a cakewalk.

You can't say you love TB cRPG if you didn't play these two games.

Other games like ToEE and the Might & Magic series can be quite challenging too, just wander where you're not supposed to.

Lords of Xulima on the highest difficulty can be quite tough as well (and good too, just not as good as the previous ones)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Knights of the Chalice and Elminage: Gothic have been the two most challenging turn-based RPGs i've played in the last 10 years or so.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, Dark Heart of Urkel is a great game. Forgot about that one. Wiz 4 ofc goes without saying, but I believe it would be too hard for OP.

Martyr

Arcane
Prelude to Darkness will challenge you in many ways.

excellent world building, atmosphere, quests & plot. create 3 characters and recruit up to 3 more. fight for or against the rebellion in turn based combat and suffer the consequences of your actions. a truly glorious game.

but what's challenging about it? camera angles, bugs, glitches, freezes and crashes.
:troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2
I cannot for the life of me play anything that runs below 60fps. It just makes me sick. Pretty much the only games that didn't bother me in that way were the original Fallouts.
Sounds like you're not picky but a grafix whore

If you're searching for great TB games but never played JA2 is like searching for wife in dark forest and when you meet foxtailed goddess you're like "hmm it's not bad I prefer catgirls"

Parabalus

Arcane
Not to brag or anything, but the gnomes that live with me in my mom's basement have taken to call me "Legendary Strategist Fox", so I ask you to recommend me TB RPGs that can truly challenge me. I've played a bunch of the recent ones (D:OS 2, Fell Seal, X-not-an-RPG-Com, and lately UnderRail, though i'm not finished with it yet) mostly on hardest difficulties and Iron-man mode a few times. So please, let me know of some decent ones that i might have missed.

Quit your current Hard UR run and switch to DOMINATING, you'll get what you're craving.

Gregz

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2
I cannot for the life of me play anything that runs below 60fps. It just makes me sick. Pretty much the only games that didn't bother me in that way were the original Fallouts.

If you're searching for great TB games but never played JA2 is like searching for wife in dark forest and when you meet foxtailed goddess you're like "hmm it's not bad I prefer catgirls"

I think he's talking about vision problems.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We shouldn't forget to cover the most challenging cRPG ever created : Grimoire!

If you like it, it's fairly (not) challenging but if you don't ... Worse, if you leave a bad review, Cleve will challenge you to a fist fight, an arm wrestling challenge or worse : "je te tiens ..."

Black Angel

Arcane

Quit your current Hard UR run and switch to DOMINATING, you'll get what you're craving.
I'm not sure if PsychoFox crave no-lube buttrape.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2

first it's "i dont like the setting" then its "60FPS+" might as well not ask about good tb rpgs lol

PsychoFox

Educated
Bunch of good suggestions here. I'll give the ones i haven't played a try for sure. I forgot to mention i have played a bunch of the wizardry games and KotC is def on my radar. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Also:

This man understands.

I think i misspoke a bit though, the sickness problem is not just about FPS. It's usually an issue when the game also has some other elements like unusual camera angles (like Ultima 7) or tiny UI (or huge UI that makes the play window feel claustrophobic), unresponsive controls with huge delay between input and action etc. I honestly don't know what exactly it is that make me sick, but with older games it's always 50/50 whether they'll make me feel ill or not (eg. Baldur's Gate 2 doesn't, but JA does). It's weird.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom