Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has C&C become the cancer of RPGs?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can decide to recruit an old foe instead of killing him and just have him join your party and provide comments from time to time instead of entering a new "Dicksucker 69 lives route" like a visual novel would do.
Why would old enemy risk lives for party members? This isn't Dragon Balls Z.

Alpha Protocol did allow some radical changes in the story. For example, you could end with ending...
And now we would make disappear...
But you are forgetting on that weapon dealer.
What's with him? He's half year dead already.
But I didn't kill him...

And then in few minutes you seen the weapon dealer is dumpstering top secret government organization and government crimes in TV.

The problem now is simple "if it's so fine and dandy then why are RPG more often than not a bit fucked". Well the reason is that the game development for RPGs in the west is pathological. Take Japanese Shin Megami Tensei series. If started with rather meh Megami Tensei that was a straight-up dungeon crawler,

Yea it had brutal story like this.

but Atlus kept making those until creating universally acclaimed Nocturne,
Another brutal story where evil ending was most cheerful.
But nowadays they are creating social games about crime and punishment, and bothering twitch streamers about horrible behavior that allows people to see whole story without paying for the game.

Now compare it to Troika games which started with super-ambitious, super-big Arcanum with it's clunky mechanics, made 2 completely different games, and then went under. It's not that those games were mechanically sub-par because CnC and story focus made it difficult to iron-out mechanics. It's just that it's hard to make a big open-world game in a new engine, in a completely new universe using completely new mechanics and it's very easy to fuck-up. I'm sure that if they could then by Arcaum 6 we would have a perfectly working magic system with no exploits, good itemization and challenging combat, but no western RPG series lasted that long.
Arcanum which was largest fiscal success.
ToEE which was basically made for DnD fans.
And Vampire the Bloodlines, which was released in the same months as Half-Life 2, which everyone awaited and had massive fan base. Paying customers have limited fund for games. Most of them paid for HL2. Considering they didn't make that engine, they were screwed up by getting beta version of engine, and being forbidden to reduce sales of HL2 by releasing it before HL2. If they would make it on bug free HL2 engine 2 years later, they might be fine.

Proper game developers are making different genres of PC games. That way they are keeping theirs technical skills. Look at what happened to Japanese industry when someone said: "Skyrim had massive wilderness. Look at western games like Skyrim." It took them 10 years to make FF XV.

Ventidius

Arbiter
My point is that, as I understand it, CRPGs are defined by a specific kind of play that is somewhat unique to it. I use the word somewhat because, of course, it wasn't born in a vacuum. Older (I say older because I have no idea how people play those nowadays) tactical games both already had some kind of storytelling going on together with it. Stuff like jeepform and other storygames could share the definition I gave earlier. But my point here is that CRPGs have their specific difference from other computer games by trying to approximate what a P&P game session is in some degree. A CRPG isn't a real RPG, as I understand the term, because it can have no real storytelling, at least as it happens in a P&P game. A P&P game works as a conversation, with back and forth. While the game master (if there is such a thing) is usually the one telling the story, the players have to contribute quite often. That is why I say CRPGs are an approximation, whereas a real RPG is not trying to approximate anything as its ultimate objective.

I'd agree that cRPGs benefit from learning from PnP. As for whether cRGPs try to approximate PnP, I'd agree this was definitely the case in the beginning of the genre, but by now most devs seem to me to basically do their own thing, and the link to PnP has largely been lost. Mind you, I think that's probably a bad thing, in the net (Sawyerism and PoE come to mind.) As for whether cRPGs are, in essence, approximations of PnP RPGs, I'm not so sure about that. To me, it rather seems that cRPGs and RPGs have similar design approaches and goals, or to put it another way, seek to evoke a similar kind of experience in different media. As for what those goals, approaches, and experiences are, well, that comes down to the "definition of RPG" discussion. I think this definition rules both of them.

Indeed. Some people may think this is a worthless effort, but I think having a clear idea of what RPGs are is crucial in designing new games.

Yes, people here tend to exaggerate the problem involved in this, and also the extent to which "everything has been said" on it.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "synthetic"? Do you omean how they came by historically, or do you mean something more or besides that?

Yes, I meant specifically in the historical sense. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

If we are just examining the historical context, this is great because there is probably much here that is interesting and maybe even eye opening. But I want to make it clear that by examining what an RPG is, I mean what exactly it attempts to do, whereas the history can show only how they attempted to do it throughout the years. Apologies if I am unclear.

At any rate, this is an interesting history. I don't think this so called "holy triad" is a good measure of what an RPG is, but it is certainly a nice piece of history. But, combat, for instance, isn't something that I would consider essential in an RPG. I think it is telling that even some early P&P systems, like Call of Cthulhu had games where combat would take a much lesser role and that revolved instead around investigations. In CRPGs, I think Zork is a good example of an early game that tried to approximate what a P&P game is like without focusing on combat. True, most people, including Infocom, don't call Zork a CRPG, but that doesn't mean it isn't one.

Of course, PnP RPGs driven by interactive storytelling are indeed very old. The tendency existed even before Storyteller came around, as you point out. That said, it remains the case that the genre was kickstarted by D&D, so then the question regarding a historical definition hinges upon whether we take RPGs, historically defined, as being determined by the sole founding product, or we also take into consideration the ways in which the genre evolved over the years. The problem here is that genres change. We have seen this in the case of cRPGs, the definition of RPGs - in the context of videogames - originally involved Wizardry/Gold Box style games, then changed and Fallout and PS:T became the paradigm, and eventually it was games like Mass Effect that came to be understood as definitive examples of RPGs. If history is so contingent then, what's the worth of historical definitions? In my view, it comes from the fact that we can learn lessons from it and see what is viable and what isn't. Things may envelop themselves in certain elements throughout their development that, while not essential to them as such, may still play a key role in making them what they are and work properly.

This is the reason I am so suspicious of the hack and slash revisionism of people like Sawyer. Notice how he had, throughout the development of the Pillars franchise, to learn for himself all over again things that had been known for ages. However, for such lessons to be learned the analytic definition is necessary because it allows us to distinguish those developments that change a thing so much that they cross a threshold that makes the thing something other than what it was. It allows us to protect the label from people who might want to say that, for example, Assassin's Creed is an RPG.

What this boils down to is that I agree that early story-oriented RPGs are part of the history - and thus historical definition - of RPGs, but so is The Triad, and this triad may not be the only measure of what an RPG, historically, is, but it certainly is one valid measure. Specifically, it is the measure of what a traditional - or Gygaxian - RPG is. And this is a model that not only founded the genre, but also has worked for decades, consistently producing and inspiring quality content and systems in different media. Thus it is as a good role-model as any, to say the least, to RPG designers and developers. In the case of cRPGs in particular, we also see that, as of now at least, it is the one that has best translated to the computer gaming medium.

Again, I am not exactly sure what you mean by analytic, although I think here we are getting to the heart of the matter I was trying to discuss. Still, if you think I might be misunderstanding something, please do correct me.

I mean something that is true a priori, or by definition. Such as when we say that "all bachelors are unmarried". Thus, that "Roleplaying games are about roleplaying" seems to me to be an analytic judgement. What is then in question is what roleplaying means, or can mean.

Here is some more info on this, in case anyone is interested: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/analytic-synthetic/

But I ultimately disagree with your affirmation that ultimately the gameplay interactions should be drive by the character system. Looking at P&P gaming, we can see that frequently, the roleplaying and interactions sidestepped the character system completely. For instance, when you had a thief look for traps in a specific way ("I check if there is any kind of trip wire on the door very lightly and push the ground slightly to check for pressure plates") rather than by rolling your chance to find traps.

Well, systems-driven doesn't mean systems-saturated, there is definitely room for improvisation given my understanding of a game driven by the character system. I do think that a bare minimum of formalized rules are necessary for something to be a game at all, though.

I am not trying to say that a formal character system shouldn't exist, I think quite the contrary, but that is not to say that it must exist for there to be an RPG. It is entirely possible to have good games where the roleplaying system exist entirely in non formalized concepts. And, more pertinent, it is frequently the case that it exists both on the formalized character system and the informal imaginative of the players.

Sure, there is a lot of room for improvisation and creativity here, rules are meant to facilitate that, not stifle it. I think good rulesets excel at that. It also goes without saying that PnP tends to be better at this than videogames. That said, I do think that some sort of ruleset must govern the dynamics of roleplaying, as this is what gives meaning and flavor to the roles. I think you can roleplay without rules or systems, but then we are no longer talking about a roleplaying game, at least in my view.

I think this is where we differ. See, I don't think most cRPGs, or even RPGs in general aren't abstract. I think they all aren't! You can't have an abstract, math puzzle game, and still call it an RPG. And if you do take RPG rules and simply fail to map them to a story, say all your characters are chess pieces and you play the combat as completely abstract, then you are not playing an RPG anymore. My point is not that I think story aspects of an RPG are more important than gameplay, or even that the right balance is to have them equally important (whatever that would mean), but rather that they both need to be present at the same time. You don't play a game for a while and then talk a bit of story, but rather, both should be happening at the same time. Every gameplay mechanic is also a storytelling mechanic, and every story aspect is also (or should also) be a gameplay aspect. Which is the basis of my critic. If you focus on gameplay while losing track of how this is interpreted as a concrete scene rather than a simple game state, you can end up harming the RPG aspect of the game.

Well, I think what you here refer to as abstraction and what we may call immersion are part of a spectrum, in the context of game design. cRPGs definitely involve abstraction, it is a matter of degree. Most cRPGs do not approach the level of abstraction of math puzzles, but they also don't approach the level of immersion of an actual simulation either. In my view, game systems can still engage the player without relying fully on immersion. This they can do through challenge and mechanical elegance. However, I'd agree that some degree of "immersive" design is a necessity, though this should be enmeshed, as you seem to suggest, in the rules and mechanics themselves (or at any rate that's how it'd have to be done in dungeon crawlers or combat romps.) A good example of this is how roles - even in combat games - usually represent archetypes such as Paladins, Druids, Ninjas, Barbarians, etc. which stimulates the imagination and gives the role a more relatable quality beyond a mere statistical bundle or aggregate. We can also see this in how combat mechanics represent some plausible scenario - as HP in D&D originally did.

For another example, consider hitpoints in AD&D. It is actually pretty hard to take hit points in account in a way that makes sense. But it is possible and on a P&P session, you can do so with some minor inconsistencies (like how ridiculously long it takes for a high level character to heal, either with low level spells or by time). In Underrail, the break between mechanics and what makes sense is rubbed on your face all the time.

Even though HP was indeed an abstraction in D&D, it was one that made sense, as Gygax put it in the original DMG:

It is not in the best interests of an adventure game . . . to delve too deeply into cut and thrust, parry and riposte. The location of a hit or wound, the sort of damage done, sprains, breaks, and dislocations are not the stuff of heroic fantasy. The reasons for this are manifold.

As has been detailed, hit points are not actually a measure of physical damage, by and large, as far as characters (and some other creatures as well) are concerned. Therefore, the location of hits and the type of damage caused are not germane to them. . . .

Envision, if you will, a fencing, boxing, or karate match. During the course of one minute of such competition there are numerous attacks which are unsuccessful, feints, maneuvering, and so forth. During a one minute melee round many attacks are made, but some are mere feints, while some are blocked or parried. One, or possibly several, have the chance to actually score damage. For such chances, the dice are rolled, and if the"to hit" number is equalled or exceeded, the attack was successful, but otherwise it too was avoided, blocked, parried, or whatever. Damage scored to characters or certain monsters is actually not substantially physical - a mere nick or scratch until the lost handful of hit points are considered - it is a matter of wearing away the endurance, the luck, the magical protections. . . .

Because of the relatively long period of time represented by the round, dexterity (dexterity, agility, speed, quickness) is represented by a more favorable armor class rating rather than as a factor in which opponent strikes the first blow. . . . The system of AD&D combat maximizes the sense of hand-to-hand combat and the life-and-death character of melee without undue complication.

This sort of thing indeed adds much to a game.

My point about Underrail is not simulationism. I don't think you need to be strictly simulationist to be an RPG. But I do think you need to make your systems somewhat similar to what is going on. Underrail fails to do this at several points and ends up alienating the player from whatever narrative he might build upon its systems. It is not an everpresent problem. In fact, if you play a psyker where the cooldown mechanic is not something completely unfitting, it can be a pretty good RPG in this sense.

Well, I imagine it's a matter of how much abstraction you can tolerate. I think certain qualities - such as challenge - can compensate for immersion in some cases. Then again, I wasn't a huge fan of Underrail, the game had too many flaws, from my point of view, for me to single out this particular element as especially problematic.

Anyway, thanks for responding to my post. I don't think I really have anything useful to add to your other points.

Same to you.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've always believed abstraction > immersion. It's like those people who refuse to play an RPG if it has random encounters, but will play anything that has "realistic encounters where you can see the enemies on the field". That's an argument I've had one too many times and it ALWAYS leaves me triggered.

EDIT: Or how people refuse to play anything where you can't see your character because it's not immersive enough if you can't see them, etc.

People simply can't put 2 and 2 together, that a random encounter is an abstraction of what's happening in the game world; if you enter a fortress and get a random encounter, that is an abstraction meant to represent patrolling guards. It's up the devs to make the game make sense, to be coherent, and it's not the fault of random encounters if they do it wrong. Abstraction is the bread and butter of video games, and specifically of RPGs. I believe simulation elements only bog gameplay down.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I've always believed abstraction > immersion. It's like those people who refuse to play an RPG if it has random encounters, but will play anything that has "realistic encounters where you can see the enemies on the field". That's an argument I've had one too many times and it ALWAYS leaves me triggered.

EDIT: Or how people refuse to play anything where you can't see your character because it's not immersive enough if you can't see them, etc.

Abstraction is the bread and butter of video games, and specifically of RPGs. I believe simulation elements only bog gameplay down.
I think it all depends on implementation, simulation elements don’t always bog stuff down.

Black Angel

Arcane
At any rate, this is an interesting history. I don't think this so called "holy triad" is a good measure of what an RPG is, but it is certainly a nice piece of history. But, combat, for instance, isn't something that I would consider essential in an RPG. I think it is telling that even some early P&P systems, like Call of Cthulhu had games where combat would take a much lesser role and that revolved instead around investigations. In CRPGs, I think Zork is a good example of an early game that tried to approximate what a P&P game is like without focusing on combat. True, most people, including Infocom, don't call Zork a CRPG, but that doesn't mean it isn't one.
Why not? Looking at the bigger picture, or at least from my own personal experience that's very limited since I'm still relatively a newfag, most games with 'RPG' genre tacked upon them can be measured against this Triad, and I'm sure majority of the Codex can at the very least agreed what games is and is not an RPG, if not what is good RPGs and what is bad RPGs. In regards to Call of Cthulhu P&P games, isn't the lesser focus on combat can be related to the nature of its setting, where in the nutshell you can't just point a gun at the Great Unknown and pull the trigger? Not to mention that investigation is but one part of exploration, so it ticked one of the box.
As for Zork, a quick google and a glance at wikipedia claimed that the games are 'Text adventure' and 'Interactive fiction'. Even Steam and GOG listed the anthology as Adventure, so what part of it makes you claim, "True, most people, including Infocom, don't call Zork a CRPG, but that doesn't mean it isn't one."?

Quillon

Arcane

People simply can't put 2 and 2 together, that a random encounter is an abstraction of what's happening in the game world; if you enter a fortress and get a random encounter, that is an abstraction meant to represent patrolling guards. It's up the devs to make the game make sense, to be coherent, and it's not the fault of random encounters if they do it wrong. Abstraction is the bread and butter of video games, and specifically of RPGs. I believe simulation elements only bog gameplay down.

Yup just use your imagination and everything's peachy. Devs must love players like you. Stop pushing your preferences as facts that everyone should accept. But true replayability will be achieved through simulation, fact, accept it.

Alex

Arcane

Not seeing your enemy can be easily waved away during play, though it does bring about some questions about why can't you take certain measures to avoid the said enemies. Nevertheless, it hardly gets in the way of understanding the scene the way other mechanics can. The grenade example is not abstracting anything except the designer's desire to balance grenades some way besides action points. It doesn't make sense you can't simply throw several grenades all at once. Likewise, in Gary Gygax's example, it doesn't make sense that the cure light wounds spell will bring a character back from the brink of death to full life at level one, but fail to heal a scratch at level 17.

Now, it is very true that how much lack of sense you can take from your game depends on the player. Nevertheless, some games push this aspect more or less. In the case of Underrail, I think the issue is exacerbated by three factors. One, the hole is very glaring. For instance, take how robots enter "security mode" once they receive an electrical attack and are disabled. Only to leave the said security mode a couple or rounds later. This is really crummy programming of whoever made those robots... The second point is that those holes in logic are frequently in the forefront of the game. An RPG that has encounters happen randomly is abstracting away a whole layer of interaction, where you could try to pin down where your enemies are and use that for your advantage*. But that isn't necessarily going to get in the way of playing the game, as it in fact doesn't in so many good CRPGs. The game merely has to focus on other layers to manage to help the player understand the story and work with it. However, in Underrail, we are talking about an aspect of the game you are directly interacting with all the time. The game is centred around combat and having holes in the logic of this aspect makes the abstraction feel phoney and gets in the way of the game. The third factor is that some of the abstractions used, such as cooldowns, were traditionally associated with mmos, which is something a lot of people (which includes me) can't stand and ends up just leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Why not? Looking at the bigger picture, or at least from my own personal experience that's very limited since I'm still relatively a newfag, most games with 'RPG' genre tacked upon them can be measured against this Triad, and I'm sure majority of the Codex can at the very least agreed what games is and is not an RPG, if not what is good RPGs and what is bad RPGs. In regards to Call of Cthulhu P&P games, isn't the lesser focus on combat can be related to the nature of its setting, where in the nutshell you can't just point a gun at the Great Unknown and pull the trigger? Not to mention that investigation is but one part of exploration, so it ticked one of the box.

My problem with the proposed definition is that it might do well enough to put things that are clearly RPGs in the RPG category. But it would fail with things that are nothing like traditional RPGs but which nevertheless still share the same design intentions. A lot of stuff that came from the Forge for instance, games such as Primetime Adventures or Polaris or Dogs in the Vineyard, wouldn't fit this bill very well. Nevertheless, I don't think they are less of an RPG (even if they might be less fun and interesting, when all is said and told).

In particular, combat needn't to be different from other actions in these games, or if it is, it could be one different action among many. It certainly doesn't need to be tactical. Character building is inherent to RPG, though here we might be talking about something completely non mechanical, such as having a redemption arc or whatever have you. Finally, the exploration is, if the term is extended enough, something that I believe defines RPGs (or story games at any rate), but not only by itself. Again referring back to the Forge, they took exploration to be everything that related to the inner logic of the storytelling of the game (or "fiction" as they liked to call it). I think the Forge was misguided in several things, and were a bit prejudiced against games that are actually a lot of fun. But I do think a lot of what they've written is insightful and true! In this case, I think exploration relates with the "story-listening"** aspect of the game, and is crucial for there to be an RPG.

As for Zork, a quick google and a glance at wikipedia claimed that the games are 'Text adventure' and 'Interactive fiction'. Even Steam and GOG listed the anthology as Adventure, so what part of it makes you claim, "True, most people, including Infocom, don't call Zork a CRPG, but that doesn't mean it isn't one."?

Well, I say it is a CRPG because I think it tis clear it is drawing a lot from how RPGs are played. The whole premise of the game is that you explore a large dungeon, get to see the remnants of an ancient civilization while trying to accumulate the most treasure you can. You interact with traps and monsters, all of which require wits to overcome. I think the lack of ability to change anything about your character might make it more akin to a computer story game rather than a computer RPG, but my point was that the game plays a lot like an old D&D module. In fact, I think you could turn that whole game into a cool (A)D&D module without too much trouble!

*Actually, you could still do it with random encounters if you made the said layer by hand. For instance, you could give the player an idea of how well patrolled and noisy the area is and give him options to interact with that. Ringing an alarm to draw enemy attention to a different area, for instance. But that is not really important for the discussion at hand.

**In my theory, RPGs would be divided in three parts: Story Telling, Story Listening and Game, relating to the creative agendas*** of gamism, narrativism and simulationism. All three aspects need to be present for something to be an RPG, or at least a story game, with different games accomplishing the 3 in different ways and giving each different importance.

***I really wish I didn't have to write "creative agenda" again. A quick look on the vocabulary from the Forge will show you why a lot of people just ignored them. It sounds pretentious even if it is insightful.

Ventidius

I will get back to replying to you later tonight, I think. Although I am not too sure whether I have anything useful to say left.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Yup just use your imagination and everything's peachy. Devs must love players like you. Stop pushing your preferences as facts that everyone should accept. But true replayability will be achieved through simulation, fact, accept it.
He loves blobbers and JRPGs, so he wants to defend them.

I like blobbers to, however, simulation is also good to.
:balance:

Frozen

Arcane
It seems that nearly every new big-budget game that is marketed as an RPG is marketed with a heavy focus on C&C. Despite all the advancements in game production technology and the huge increase in budgets, there has been virtually no focus on gameplay in big-budget RPGs in the last several years. Developers don't even seem to care about the quality of the story itself, or the quality of the writing of the characters. Instead, all we ever hear about is how your choices in the game can impact the story. The "story" could be as banal as imaginable, but don't worry: your choices will choose what direction it goes in! Forget about everything else that is supposed to make an RPG an RPG, though.

Do developers do this simply because C&C is very easy to do, whereas innovative gameplay and quality writing take actual talent? Or do they just take their fanbase for fools who will eat this garbage up no matter what?

Discuss.

Are you a woman?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My ideal state of the Western cRPG industry is one in which the flagship franchises are modernized (in a good way, not in the popamole sense) successors of Wizardry and the Gold Boxes - a state of affairs to which Japan is closer right now - while some other, more experimental games like Morrowind and New Vegas are made.

Modernized how?

It's interesting to me that you are (to some extent) grouping those games together with Morrowind and New Vegas. Would you modernize them to somehow be more like Morrowind and New Vegas?

Ventidius

Arbiter
My ideal state of the Western cRPG industry is one in which the flagship franchises are modernized (in a good way, not in the popamole sense) successors of Wizardry and the Gold Boxes - a state of affairs to which Japan is closer right now - while some other, more experimental games like Morrowind and New Vegas are made.

Modernized how?

It's interesting to me that you are (to some extent) grouping those games together with Morrowind and New Vegas. Would you modernize them to somehow be more like Morrowind and NewVegas?

I did not mean to group them together. On the contrary, what I meant was that I consider games like NV and MW as more on the "experimental" side, as in, they tried to do their own thing more or less outside the traditional/Gygaxian paradigm (especially MW, since NV drew from the existing conventions of Fallout and its successors). The translation to action/real-time engines is a big part of that, but there are other features that make them very different from traditional RPGs.

What I meant was that such "experimental" or non-traditional games (including Action RPGs, "immersive sims", AoD-likes, and others), in a healthy industry, would exist side by side the traditional style of game, but the latter would be considered the norm. What I have in mind is something like the non-RTS strategy market, where you have a steady stream of 4Xs and the relatively new sub-genre of Grand Strategy that form the centerpiece of the genre. But at the same time, you have games that try to do their own thing, such as the Thea games, HoMM-likes, or Total War. It seems a much healthier market than that of Western RPGs, and that's because both developers and fans have not lost sight of the genre's basic element, strategy.

In the context of the present discussion what I am getting at is that Western RPG developers - and a large section of the fandom - have gotten ahead of themselves and gone on and accepted a type of cRPG (reactivity-based) that is largely experimental as the golden standard of the genre, which in my view is what resulted in the decline of gameplay that we witnessed from around 2004, a decline that has only recently begun to be somewhat reversed.

It may sound odd that I refer to action RPGs, story-driven games, and sandboxes as experimental, given that by this point they probably outnumber traditional-style RPGs. But in my view this is precisely the problem: the norm of the industry have become approaches that have not reached their maturity, design-wise, and in some cases perhaps haven't even demonstrated that their design goals are viable in the long term. I think this is especially the case for BIS style games, for reasons that I have discussed in the previous posts. Mind you, I still think some games made in this style are good, or even great (Fallout and NV come to mind), but IMO it wasn't "reactivity" that made them so, but rather an eclecticism that combined many strengths (though naturally, some of the "reactive" elements contributed to this eclecticism and thus their quality.)

Mind you, I am aware that my ideal state of the market is a pipe dream. The industry seems, if anything, to be going the way of CD Projekt and the cinematic action RPG, thus eschewing both the New Vegas way and the Wizardry way. However, I think the development of resistance among the fandom towards the idea that RPGs are primarily about "story" would ameliorate the situation in the long run.

I should also add that I don't consider all "experimental" - or perhaps more accurately, immature - sub-genres as equal. I think the Action RPG sub-genre shows a lot of promise, actually. Both Morrowind and NV did interesting things with the approach, and Dragon's Dogma IMO demonstrated that the sub-genre is absolutely viable. But I still think that the genre as a whole would be very well served by a "back to basics" moment right now. To an extent, the Kickstarter era and its aftermath was a partial attempt at that, but insufficient, and only very recently (last three years or so) has this rebirth of sorts started to produce adequate results. Perhaps more importantly, I don't think this will stymie the tide of the cinematic action RPG, especially after this year's E3, but perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic.

Finally, regarding the question of how to "modernize" traditional RPGs, I think the sub-genre had the basics down by the early 90s, if not before, there wouldn't be much to change design-wise. Obviously, better graphics, interface, and QoL features are one obvious way. Perhaps trying out different approaches to save restrictions, resource management, and that sort of thing. The main features such as combat systems, character systems, encounter/enemy design, and dungeon/area design should be expanded and iterated on, but IMO these aspects would not require any major overhaul. As an example, I think the Japanese have done a good job of modernizing Wizardry-likes without compromising their essence or eschewing the lessons of the past. That said, even in Japan Wizardry-likes are much less popular than story-oriented Final Fantasy style games.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
The way I see it, the cancer of RPGs in video game form is developers and players who get their concept of what RPG entails entirely from other video games. This is the root of all evil, and of false memes like "RPGs are about story," "RPGs are about freedom", and "about choices and consequences". They didn't get this from sitting down and playing Rifts or Shadowrun, they got it from playing Final Fantasy 7, or Oblivion, or Mass Effect, as examples. It's taken as granted by the audience that if the people who made these games say their game is a RPG, and if IGN calls them such, then it is so. So whatever feature those games are spotlighting becomes important, if not essential, and by extension if it is important to the game, it is important to the genre that game has been slotted into.

So I don't think C&C has become the cancer. If and when it acts a detriment, it's a side effect of general ignorance in the medium. There are also elements of egotism and agenda involved.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Abstraction is a crutch used when time/money/tech/ability can't simulate properly. The best abstraction in the world will always be worse than the best simulation in the world, because abstraction is just a gimped simulation.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Abstraction is a crutch used when time/money/tech/ability can't simulate properly. The best abstraction in the world will always be worse than the best simulation in the world, because abstraction is just a gimped simulation.
That’s not always the case. Depends on the style.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
No, it's always the case.
Don't get me wrong: abstraction can be done very well, and many abstractions are better than many simulations. For example, JA2's combat versus CoD. But we're talking about systems in their theoretically perfect (dare I say, abstract) forms here.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
No, it's always the case.
Don't get me wrong: abstraction can be done very well, and many abstractions are better than many simulations. For example, JA2's combat versus CoD. But we're talking about systems in their theoretically perfect (dare I say, abstract) forms here.
If your talking theoretically, then the perfect abstraction can be perfect along with the perfect simulation. How does that work?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
A perfectly cooked chicken breast can be delicious, but it will never trump a perfectly cooked porterhouse.

Alex

Arcane
Maybe I just misunderstand the meaning you are using here, but I understand every simulation is an abstraction. Every simulation will abstract away some details that it doesn't want to deal with, or that it simply can't deal with (no good model or maybe not enough computing power).

Are you referring maybe to abstract systems (a system that doesn't map at all to the reality of the game)?

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I envision a simulation as a 1:1 representation of the "real" thing in virtual reality. We'll probably never have a 1:1 simulated game, and so yes, we end up abstracting to varying degrees.

If devs can do a good job of peeling back layers of abstraction, then I want to see it happen.
Example: Shoot a gun -> roll dice based on skills -> hit or miss VERSUS aim gun -> reticle sways based on skills / recoil magnitude based on skills / jerking the trigger and pulling away from the target based on skills -> bullet goes where the reticle ends up pointing.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There’s something a little absurd about parts of this conversation. At this point, a blobber with little to no C&C or reactivity is practically in a different genre compared to an ARPG with tons of C&C and reactivity (CCR? RCC?). They do very different things and while there’s some overlap in the fan base, their audiences are also pretty different.

When MRY wrote that big piece on RPG writing a few months ago, he gave me the perfect rebuttal to this “we should return to gold box era design” foolishness:

“I think there are some people whose response would be that this is an argument to return to the much slimmer text of RPGs before the mid-90s and to focus on other means of story-telling than dialogue. That is a whole other debate, and one that's a little hard for me to wrap my head around because it is at least a little bit like saying, "If you find fantasy novels too long-winded, you should just watch fantasy movies." There obviously is a huge swath of players who like dialogue-tree-based RPGs, and so I think trying to abandon the form altogether is probably not a great idea.”

Let me put it this way: when Fallout came out, it was a goddamned revelation, at least for some of us. I’d previously played M&M 3 & 4, Wizardry, and dozens of JRPGs. Fallout was doing shit none of those games did, within a structure that really made you feel like you were playing this particular character you’d created. Among other, more important features, you could tell everyone to go fuck themselves! That may sound like a trivial feature, but I crave that kind of role playing.

Reading old posts from 2002 & 3 here, it’s amazing how quickly Fallout, PST, and Arcanum changed perceptions of the genre in prestigious circles. Within a few years, you had St. Proverbius and Vault Dweller arguing that Baldur’s Gate 2 was an adventure game, not an RPG, because it lacked build-based reactivity and had little meaningful C&C.

I don’t care about what makes an RPG; this is a question of taste. If you love blobbers, you want more blobbers. Good for you guys, but why not just say that instead of trying to prove that CRPGs would be better if developers focused on making modernized blobbers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom