Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TB RPGs that can challenge me.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Rogue.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Dark Heart of Urkel
stevil-family-matters-900x640.jpg

Dawnrazor

Novice
Turn based thread with no mention of Silent Storm? Shame! Not an RPG, but still obligatory to check out.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Turn based thread with no mention of Silent Storm? Shame! Not an RPG, but still obligatory to check out.
He can’t play games less than 60 FPS. He has high standards for graphics and performance.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It seems the most challenging games are either recent games (that I haven't played myself) or old games (1994 and older). Not much from the CRPG Renaissance era.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Blackguards
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Temple of Elemental Evil
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
Dragon Quest XI (with draconian quests on)
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Breach & Clear
Arcanum
Divinity: Original Sin
Antharion
Expeditions: Conqustador & Vikings
Hard West
Shadowrun trilogy by Harebrained Schemes
Front Mission 3
God Wars: Future Past
Battle Brothers
Legends of Eisenwald and related games
Heroes of Might & Magic games
King’s Bounty games
The Last Remnant
SaGa series
Low Magic Age
Atom RPG
Fire Emblem games
RONIN

I hear good things about Pathfinder: Kingmaker’s turn-based mod.

There’s a lot to discover.

Ventidius

Arbiter
If you count it as an RPG (it does have some pretty extensive character and squad customization), give Mordheim: City of the Damned a try. The game has a forced iron man mechanic around which it is balanced, plus a combat system that emphasizes risk management. To be fair, it does get easier once you figure out the AI and the mechanics, but isn't that the case with a lot of tactical RPGs? I also second the Elminage Gothic recommendation, it's probably the most challenging of the modern Wizardry-like blobbers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom