Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Kaivokz

Arcane
Why is Rean such a pussy? Just have a beer with Sara FFS you’re involved in a war and could die before you turn 20.

Cold Steel 3 fixes Rean in this regard and a few others.

Thank Aidios. I generally like Rean, but I’ve given the guy like 20 chances to unwind with Sara over the first game and 20-30 hours of the second. He doesn’t even have to bone her, just to be a little less of a cliche shonen protagonist.

Borderline harem character directive demands that the protagonist be a wimp when it comes to interaction with female characters in any way.
Harems are appealing until you actually have some experience with women, and then dealing with one is enough. If I had to deal with a harem’s worth of hormones and emotion and desire for my attention when I just want to unwind with my playstation, I would turn into a perpetually intoxicated Al Bundy.

But Seboist & Somberlain why not both Claire and Sara?
:shredder:
PS I’m drinking whiskey and playing this instead of Bloodstained because I kept seeing your waifu avatars in the other thread.

Gearmos

Educated
Seems there'll be two more arcs for the Trails series, one in Calvard and one in Leman. An interim title following on from Cold Steel 4 will likely come before the latter arc.

They also said that Calvard and Leman arcs will be divided into two games each. But before that, they will release a spin-off closing the story of Erebonia and Crossbell, as did "The third" with Liberl.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Delayed to October: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8732-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-delayed-to-october

To guarantee as successful a launch window as possible, the release date for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III on PlayStation®4 is postponed to October 22, 2019 in North America and Europe and October 29 in Oceania. NIS America sincerely apologizes to everyone who was greatly looking forward to its release, and would like to thank fans for their understanding and patience as the team is working hard to deliver the best possible experience.

We are excited to announce today that a demo will be released prior to launch, with more details coming soon. Trails of Cold Steel III also currently has an Official Jacket & PS4™ Pro Contest with a weekly chance to win a PS4™ Pro and even a custom-fit Thors Branch Campus jacket.

Deleted member 7219

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nihon-fa...-about-the-secret-sauce-of-its-beloved-jrpgs/

Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter has a significantly longer script than all of Lord of the Rings. It's longer than War & Peace, which is just over 500,000 words. Translating it was a herculean effort and, as I recently learned from Nihon Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo who directed the Trails in the Sky series in the early 2000s, so was writing it. Most of SC's three million Japanese characters were written by just three people.

"For Trails in the Sky FC, the first one, I started with two writers and then from the middle, a third writer came along," Kondo said, speaking through an interpreter.

Just three?

"Yes, three. It's probably the same for SC. The interesting thing, though, is that when you start writing scenarios, you actually get better at it and it becomes easier to write and it becomes quicker. You'd think that would mean you'd finish earlier, but that's not the case. What ends up happening is that you end up writing more."

Anyone who's played a game in the Trails series knows that checks out. It's what makes the games beloved by a small but fierce fandom—the main story unfolds slowly and deliberately, giving you a sense of the characters subtly growing, and letting you look back on how far they've come after dozens of hours. The real selling point of the Trails series for many fans, though, is how much effort Falcom put into dialogue for the NPCs in every town, and how they'll always have something new to say or a little sidestory if you go back to visit them between events. Half of SC's enormous script was devoted to text that you'll only see if you obsessively talk to these characters to get snippets of their lives.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
So I ran across this image of Rean's canon love interest from IV...

Magical-Sara-Sen-IV.png

And all I have to say is :shredder:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://geofront.esterior.net/2019/08/14/trails-from-zero-90/

Trails from Zero: 90%
Posted on August 14, 2019
2b6746376ad81a619ab43f69cd87a1a8
Author supremezerker

10% to go. Looking back, it’s amazing that we got this far to begin with. When I first joined the project, I don’t think I understood just how massive of an undertaking this was going to be. And yet, here we are. 10% until all of the dialogue has undergone edits. Wild.

I suppose that I should clear the air. For the past 7-ish months, I hardly touched the project. I could probably count the number of times I opened the spreadsheet on one hand. Why, you may ask? Well, a lot of burnout. A lot of life happenings. A lot of me shirking my responsibilities, too, I guess. I got engaged to the love of my life, and I’m also trying to get into law school. But, honestly, I think I’ve used those as excuses to push the project to the side. Without Ribose, Cata, and Jose always working on it, I don’t know what would have happened. You don’t need to worry, though. Trails from Zero is coming out, and it’s going to be damn good. With an extra set of hands and renewed energy, we’ve done nearly 10% in about a month. No, we aren’t rushing. We just want to deliver on what we promised. I want to.

Within the next month or so, we want to hit 100%. Unfortunately, that does not mean the patch is ready for release. We will have to go over everything, clean things up, and get ready for QA. Luckily, that should take a fraction of the time. Just be excited, okay? I’ll hand the mic over to Ribose now.

A Small Technical Update
While things may have been slow on the editing front, Jose and I (Ribose) continued to fix things in the background. There were a number of issues affecting the build, from issues running on Windows 7 (now fixed), and issues with the build configuration (we hope is fixed). Also, strange memory leaks and annoying crashes that generally had to do with our modifications to the texture loading, which we also hope are fixed.

We also took the time to implement what wasn’t implemented into our mod, so now we can show off one little thing that was hinted at in the last technical update.

Options Menu
In the previous update, I mentioned this at the start of the save menu replacement section:

A while back, Jose switched the UI library he was using in order to improve the options menu and expose them to players.

Here is how our options menu looks!

Jose and I have worked to make this options menu functional with mouse, keyboard, or controller input. I’ve gone so far as to make it respect keyboard/controller/mouse bindings as the game’s input system sees them. This means if you unbind the accept button, you might need another input method to bind it again…

The menu itself provides all of the options that the external config.exe tool did, but in both Japanese and English, and while the game is running! We chose to do it this way to avoid having to hack a second executable just for English strings, and to have a non-redundant location to easily add additional settings to. While the external tool may still work to a degree, it will not be patched and may not function well with a non-Japanese locale (or due to numerous observed bugs in the original, such as with rebinding). We recommend that players not use the external tool, and just select “OPTION” in the game, as you normally expect from a modern game. The startup process of the game has been adjusted to launch the game at your current default monitor’s resolution in borderless window mode, if the config.ini file (where settings are stored) could not be found.

Once more, this uses the amazing Dear ImGui library, which is a graphical user interface overlay system featured in other mods such as Special K. Mind you, ImGui itself doesn’t add any of the features of other mods using Special K, as it just provides the interface.

Other Technical Updates
We have also improved a lot of tiny details about the overall project in important ways. Please look forward to the completed patch containing:

• XInput controller support (complete): If you use Steam Input (that is, you add the game as a “non-Steam game” shortcut with Steam’s controller support enabled), a real Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Steam Virtual Controller (a.k.a. Steam Link), the game will detect it as XInput and will label the button names in the options menu appropriately. It’ll also work as other XInput-enabled games on Steam currently do (such as Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel). I recommend pairing it with the “Xbox/XInput” preset for a reasonable default button mapping. It will actually use this preset automatically if config.ini cannot be found and XInput is detected.
  • Controller button prompt replacement (working): Currently, the game will replace the generic numbered button icons with those found on the Xbox, DualShock, or Switch Pro icon sheet (part of the included textures). This is a setting you can select from.

• Xbox prompts on the state map.

• DualShock prompts on the quartz menu.

• Switch Pro prompts on the cooking menu.
  • Alphabetized Crossbell City Library material (awaiting editing): One minor detail about the library was that the Japanese release categorized and sorted their entries about the lore in Japanese kana order. That is, the first category is “A~Z”, the second is “ア行” (meaning the “A line” of the Japanese alphabet, which includes words starting with ア, イ, ウ, エ, or オ– a, i, u, e, or o, in that order), and the third continues along that alphabet. This makes a lot of sense for Japanese, but almost none in English, when words are also translated into those with different starting sounds, or with English’s tendency to have deviations from spelling to pronunciation. Our solution was to reorder the menus entirely in this section, sorting it in English alphabetical order, and fixing the resulting haphazard letter-splitting that then occurs. So for example, the page containing 5 “カ行” items (“K” line, sorted ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, of course) was changed to contain 4 “E-F” items, as shown below. Do note that the most difficult part of this was changing the number of items in each menu.
  • If you know the game, then you’d be aware what it means when I say the Information Terminals are implemented properly now.
  • You’ll be able to press “1”, “2”, “3”, and “4” on your keyboard as quick-access to the S-Break feature, as well as to the four notebooks outside of battle.
  • Here’s a closing image of the save menu from the previous update, with minor updates and the functioning button to “Show in folder”. With keyboard or controller, you’ll be able to access those two options from the “Slot” menu on top (press the CAMP binding to toggle between the menu and the save items).

The Barrier
Listen: If you’ve played the old patch, that’s fine. If you played on the initial spreadsheet, that’s fine. If you can read Japanese, that’s fine. Hell, if you’ve waited all this time for us, that’s fine, too. (Also, you rock.) All I ask is that you look forward to experiencing the fan localization of Zero no Kiseki.

I cannot thank you enough for standing by us—a group of Falcom fans—all this time. We won’t let you down.

We’ll get over the barrier.

Jinn

Arcane
Very exciting news. Now I just have to decide if I want to wait the next several years for Ao to be finished too, before even touching Zero. Something tells me there's going to be an excruciating cliffhanger at the end of Zero that's going to make waiting even more difficult.

Deleted member 7219

Fuck, this is going to be great. Those people deserve a damn solid brofist for implementing that options menu on top of everything else they're doing (localisation, bug fixes).

Vagiel

Augur
Guys i am currently at the end of zero with the leaked translation, so far i have found only one untraslated line of text on an unimportant npc and that was it. So far i have no problems with the quality everything is intelligible and makes perfect sense. I thoroughly recommend it and once the revised translations come out you can replay them.

Damn these series has been amazing so far i have never encountered a so well realized world in any game and actually i think it's the only series that has such deep connections and well thought out plot throughout all games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom