Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
lilura1 you said in your blog that you play scs ai mod, and here you tell us it's garbage, any explanation why this mod is that bad ?

You're new so you don't fully understand how insane Lilura is. SCS is the only essential BG mod.

Jeru

Novice
Got a question :

Durlag Tower. SCS mod + some other mods. 4 Warden Fights. Love, Avarice, Pride, Fear. First 3 killed. Fear remain and is unkillable - I can get him to almost dead but he cannot be killed, no matter how much spike dmg is done, always stays at "almost dead" + regenerates health quickly after. I assume this is due to some mod (SCS?) - anyone had this? - is this due to some RP reason (and player is supposed to grab a wardstone from Love remaints and go to lower level) or there is some special way of finishing Fear like in case of Trolls, etc ?

Xeon

Augur
I didn't have problem killing them, I don't remember the names, but if its the warrior, then he is kinda hard to kill. Try focusing on him and kill him first if it works or not.

If he never dies then kill the others and just use the kill cheat on the bugged one.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They are all killable and there is no extra trick to killing him in normal BG1 or BGT-BG1 whether you have SCS installed or not. I don't know if EE fucks it up somehow since I don't pay money for shitty remakes. I'm sure there's another mod that modifies the fight that could be the culprit so check your modlist.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played them with SCS in the past (base game+SCS, not shitty EE), and they are tough but killable. If you're sure it's a bug, just Ctrl+Y kill him?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
He doesn't have some sort of invulnerability up like PfMW or something of the like that triggers on a low hit point contingency?

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude, it's just WeiDU.

Download mod, run exe, say yes to components you want
Fixpacks first, content second, widescreen last

BG Trilogy for the engine swap.

Who knows why I'm even posting since googling will be faster for you than the time you already spent on the above but whatever

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Disregard what I wrote.

I'll play BG1EE. What's the situation with the mods for the EE? Please list all sites where I can get mods for BG1EE.

Strantar

Novice
Disregard what I wrote.

I'll play BG1EE. What's the situation with the mods for the EE? Please list all sites where I can get mods for BG1EE.
The easiest way to find all the mods is with a mod manager https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/
Download and install it and then select the game you want to mod. It gives you a full list of all mods for that game. You can directly use the tool to download and install the mods or you can just use the links to get information on the mods.
It's the only source I know that has constant updates. Otherwise it's some 20 sites you need to search and their lists are almost always outdated.

Jeru

Novice
They are all killable and there is no extra trick to killing him in normal BG1 or BGT-BG1 whether you have SCS installed or not. I don't know if EE fucks it up somehow since I don't pay money for shitty remakes. I'm sure there's another mod that modifies the fight that could be the culprit so check your modlist.

I did check and it is indeed SCS induced problem. Althrough SCS devs supposedly fixed it in newest 32.3 version, it states so in patch notes.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lilura is currently doing a SCS walkthrough (I think). Should be interesting to see what she thinks of it. Believe it or not, I never bothered with it. I did the harder Weidu mods and Ascension - stronger encounters and all that, but never liked mods that operate outside of the rules. Jon Irenicus taking all of your equiptment was retarded for instance.

So reading the SCS readme - where it says the mod doesn't cheat - and then Lilura's walkthrough seems to contradict that where she says the beholders in the Unseeing Eye quest are capable of telekintically taking the shield of balduran from you. 'Tis a contradiction; n'est-ce pas?.

Lilura is currently doing a SCS walkthrough (I think). Should be interesting to see what she thinks of it. Believe it or not, I never bothered with it. I did the harder Weidu mods and Ascension - stronger encounters and all that, but never liked mods that operate outside of the rules. Jon Irenicus taking all of your equiptment was retarded for instance.

So reading the SCS readme - where it says the mod doesn't cheat - and then Lilura's walkthrough seems to contradict that where she says the beholders in the Unseeing Eye quest are capable of telekintically taking the shield of balduran from you. 'Tis a contradiction; n'est-ce pas?.

This is an optional feature. I've used it, it's not bad. Though if I recall correctly, it drops in place on the ground, rather than being taken into the beholder's inventory. It's been awhile though. I could be remembering it incorrectly. They have several other options on beholders as well, like how their anti-magic ray works. It can be left per vanilla BG rules though (which are not true AD&D).

Brancaleone

Liturgist
It's right in the SCS readme:

under the "Smart Beholder" component:

"TACTICAL: Beholders use their Death, Petrification and Telekinesis eyestalks; they use the Telekinesis eyestalk to steal some party items (notably the Shield of Balduran, if you have it)."

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
It's right in the SCS the readme:

"TACTICAL: Beholders use their Death, Petrification and Telekinesis eyestalks; they use the Telekinesis eyestalk to steal some party items (notably the Shield of Balduran, if you have it)."

Yeah, but (without trying to sound like an asshole) what I mean is - the mod description says it doesn't cheat (and bear in mind I haven't installed it, so can't draw on feature by feature bits) it should make clear what is considered cheating. So, if you can install the mod and it just gives the game better ai then that's the impression I got from reading it's descrption and readme - so that's great. But then people start talking about characters with unique spells and abilities and it gets a bit confusing. ;)

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's AD&D - the bestiary is replete with "characters with unique spells and abilities". That's why it's interesting!

Shadenuat

Arcane
SCS beholders are closer to PnP in every way, including eystalks and their abilities, as well as ability to destroy the eyestalks.

Tigranes

Arcane
You shouldn't be just doing yes to all in SCS anyway, but reading and choosing which packages sound good to you.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Only lowly scrubs use the Shield of Balduran.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Yeah, but (without trying to sound like an asshole) what I mean is - the mod description says it doesn't cheat (and bear in mind I haven't installed it, so can't draw on feature by feature bits) it should make clear what is considered cheating. So, if you can install the mod and it just gives the game better ai then that's the impression I got from reading it's descrption and readme - so that's great. But then people start talking about characters with unique spells and abilities and it gets a bit confusing. ;)

Third paragraph of the readme:

"SCS plays fair. I've made a fairly sustained effort to ensure that SCS opponents fight by the rules and don't use powers denied to the player (other than obvious things like dragons' breath weapons, liches' ability to see through invisibility, etc!) This is probably most notable for spellcasters - SCS mages don't randomly get uninterruptible spells, improved casting time, free Alacrity, or the like. (In fact, I've removed these powers from creatures in the vanilla game occasionally, though I haven't done so systematically.) However, "fair" is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, so please do read the component descriptions if this is important to you!"* (emphasis mine)

So you did not install the mod, and you didn't clearly even bother to read the readme (at least not past the second paragraph): what are you complaining about?

*(by the way, notice the reference to the "eye of the beholder")

lilura1 you said in your blog that you play scs ai mod, and here you tell us it's garbage, any explanation why this mod is that bad ?

The explanation is that the mere act of spamming every single IE thread claiming to be "authoritative" and an "expert" does not unfortunately make you either authoritative or an expert.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

Third paragraph of the readme:

"SCS plays fair. I've made a fairly sustained effort to ensure that SCS opponents fight by the rules and don't use powers denied to the player (other than obvious things like dragons' breath weapons, liches' ability to see through invisibility, etc!) This is probably most notable for spellcasters - SCS mages don't randomly get uninterruptible spells, improved casting time, free Alacrity, or the like. (In fact, I've removed these powers from creatures in the vanilla game occasionally, though I haven't done so systematically.) However, "fair" is sometimes in the eye of the beholder, so please do read the component descriptions if this is important to you!"* (emphasis mine)

So you did not install the mod, and you didn't clearly even bother to read the readme (at least not past the second paragraph): what are you complaining about?

*(by the way, notice the reference to the "eye of the beholder")

The explanation is that the mere act of spamming every single IE thread claiming to be "authoritative" and an "expert" does not unfortunately make you either authoritative or an expert.

I was being cordial on the dex and asking a question, while hoping for clarification from Dexers like you obviously. So do the beholders take your Balduran shield due to SCS and a specifically installed component, or is it an Ascension component such as harder Beholders?. Thanks!.

laclongquan

Arcane
Got a question :

Durlag Tower. SCS mod + some other mods. 4 Warden Fights. Love, Avarice, Pride, Fear. First 3 killed. Fear remain and is unkillable - I can get him to almost dead but he cannot be killed, no matter how much spike dmg is done, always stays at "almost dead" + regenerates health quickly after. I assume this is due to some mod (SCS?) - anyone had this? - is this due to some RP reason (and player is supposed to grab a wardstone from Love remaints and go to lower level) or there is some special way of finishing Fear like in case of Trolls, etc ?

There might be a problem of scripts. I dont know what it is exactly and the correct way to deal with it.

I can tell you some ways to to deal with those script-cause problems.

Can you let him go and just run away to previous level? Absolutely get a loading screen change, then move away from the entry point and wait a while to see if he chased you across loading zones. They usually dont, though some specific maps and specific enemies may do so.

If Fear dont follow you, get a full rest, rebuff and return. He either stand at the exit zone, or nearby. And his script might be reset a bit. He will still be quite hard, but not impossible anymore.

Use some of these combo to deal with him: skeleton + cloudkill, spider spawn + web, fire elemental + continuous fire bombardment (necklace of missile, fireball, oil of explosion). Experiment~

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
was being cordial on the dex and asking a question, while hoping for clarification from Dexers like you obviously. So do the beholders take your Balduran shield due to SCS and a specifically installed component, or is it an Ascension component such as harder Beholders?. Thanks!.

It's literally in the SCS read-me and Brancaleone copy/pasted the line. What do you not understand? WTF does Ascension even have to do with it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom