Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Quillon

Arcane
He's 17 in the game but doesn't look it. I'm right ar the end and I'm not doing this assassination shit because I'd rather Emhyr doesn't conquer the world.
The only thing assassinated by that quest is Dijkstra's character

Not entirelly. If we take Radovid's actions at face value, Dijkstra's attitude makes perfect sense. Especially if you then let him get what he wants - a stronk, reasonable Redania.

He basically commits suicide at the hands of Geralt, if you don't do what he wants. That's just plain stupid move. The stupidest move. Stupidijkstra.

Tho I don't entirely remember the quest details. Damn, I need to replay TW3 for the (probably)4th time :P

sullynathan

Arcane
So Blood & Wine. It's really pretty, and also starts with decent boss fights with the Bruxa, Golyat & the armadillo thingy. I've met Dettlaff so I know this will be about Vampires but these Vampires are very different from the Vampires of the base game.

Lot of quests, collected all gwent cards, got new gear and an estate. I'm intrigued.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Blood & Wine. It's really pretty, and also starts with decent boss fights with the Bruxa, Golyat & the armadillo thingy. I've met Dettlaff so I know this will be about Vampires but these Vampires are very different from the Vampires of the base game.

Lot of quests, collected all gwent cards, got new gear and an estate. I'm intrigued.
Feel free to sass the Duchess all you want.

RaptorRex888

Learned
I definitely agree they fucked Dijkstra's character at the end of that quest but they wrote themselves into a corner there. The only other viable option would be if Roche, Thaler and Ves were killed offscreen and you went to get revenge.

vota DC

Augur
He's 17 in the game but doesn't look it. I'm right ar the end and I'm not doing this assassination shit because I'd rather Emhyr doesn't conquer the world.

Not entirelly. If we take Radovid's actions at face value, Dijkstra's attitude makes perfect sense. Especially if you then let him get what he wants - a stronk, reasonable Redania.

He basically commits suicide at the hands of Geralt, if you don't do what he wants. That's just plain stupid move. The stupidest move. Stupidijkstra.

Tho I don't entirely remember the quest details. Damn, I need to replay TW3 for the (probably)4th time :P

I guess that after witcher 2 nobody would choose that quest. I mean an entire game to prove you aren't a kingslayer!

Codex Year of the Donut

Dijkstra isn't stupid, he would have known Geralt wouldn't leave Roche, Thaler, and Tes to their fates. Even if you sided with Iorveth in W2, Roche still saves Geralt's life.. after you sided against him. And then there's Thaler. Also, Roche/Ves will show up to help protect Ciri which means Geralt would do anything for them.
And to repeat myself: Dijkstra isn't stupid, he would have known he had zero chance of besting Geralt in a fight -- Geralt already beat him while outnumbered and unarmed.

It's one of the worst parts of the entire game IMO.

Codex Year of the Donut

B&W was good enough and long enough to be its own game

Quillon

Arcane
I remember an epilogue from the books after all the shit went down...whatever; there was a scene where Dijkstra and 2 other dudes camps on the way to Zerikania or something. I might be misremembering but Dijkstra is a fucking survivor, even if Redania burnt to ashes he should've came out unscathed.

CDPR mistreated my boi
rating_negativeman.png

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Know what is difficult? Trying to kill the Ofieri Mage and his lackeys at level 25 on death march.

Every single attack insta-kills you and goes through quen for half your HP. Also you can't use bombs or signs against him.

:mixedemotions:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Know what is difficult? Trying to kill the Ofieri Mage and his lackeys at level 25 on death march.

Every single attack insta-kills you and goes through quen for half your HP. Also you can't use bombs or signs against him.

Why on earth torture yourself with a twitch combat system set at an unfair setting?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was just about to ask is there any worth trying this on harder difficulties. Now I remember those pig fuck annoying and tiresome boss fights... so never mind on that.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Why on earth torture yourself with a twitch combat system set at an unfair setting?

No other fight has been remotely challenging so far.

sullynathan

Arcane
Holy shit this game is peak assassin's creed. Even down to destroying forts with enemy messengers. :o

I'm on the hunt for the Mastercraftes witcher gear and I come to a fort with enemies 8 levels higher than I am. There's like 15 of them and I proceed to slaughter them all in a long fight.

Their boss 10 levels higher but poison, burning, bleeding and freezing do the trick. Matter of fact, they're probably the best status effects you can apply to enemies for the constant damage.

I fucked up and lit the giant signal fire and signaled a dozen backup bandits and dogs and they spawned in and attacked me.

Unfortunately things go very over the top in the second fort. One bandit made it in time to signal other bandits and I had to fight like 30 high level bandits at once. Obviously I showed no mercy to them. Petri's Philter and Tawny oil are very good potions against them.

I love the fact that clearing an abandoned site or enemy fort opens back the area for citizens and knights to relocate to. It gives credence to their living world and that people will repair and build. I don't like fighting bandit ground #10 to do it but they did eventually add variety but throwing in a werewolf, giant or Sylvan once in a while. In general, there has been way too many bandits and human enemies I've come across and they're the most boring enemy to fight.

I wonder why Vampires were changed so much. Apparently they're not previous humans at all according to Regis but from their own world. Higher vampires can't truly die yet geralt can kill a few of them in the base game and Eskel defeated one and had its body opened in kaer Morhan. The bruxa encounters are very different than the bruxa of the base game. They're practically teleporting everywhere which kills lock-on and they have a bite animation that doesn't really heal them, it might be because of my swords bleeding/ poison.

I do find looking for these witcher schematics to be tiresome. It's always another fucking cave that you have to go through with witcher vision. Yea yea there's more story this time but it's seriously boring.

The extra xp, bombs and health you get from furnishing the house and sleeping should've been in the base game. It makes exploring and killing enemies finally rewarding because you can get enough xp to level up from them.

People in Touissant are far more generous with money than Nordlings even in gwent (compare getting 100 crowns vs 20). I'll take it that then being a rich kingdom in Nilfgaard is why they can give so much more money.

Codex Year of the Donut
Those weren't true higher vampires.
Is that something they came up specifically for blood and wine?
No. If anything, it was a lore oversight by CDPR.
You're referring to Rejk. He's a higher vampire, but not a Higher Vampire.
e.g., book excerpt(and directly from the mouth of the authoritative in-universe source for vampire information):
"Ever come across a case of a vampire ripping its victim to shreds? ... In the case of higher vampires — never, I agree," Emiel Regis said softly. "From what I know alpors, moolas, bruxas and nosferats don't mutilate their victims. On the other hand, fleders and ekimmas are pretty brutal with their victims' remains."
bold for emphasis. It actually doesn't specifically refer to the type that Rejk is(Katakan), but that's also a higher "grade" vampire.

Falksi

Arcane
Eredin was a disappointment. He barely had a presence throughout the story then dies like a chump. What an forgetful villain.

How they handled the whole Wild Hunt thing was fucking awful. Barely a sniff of Eredin for the entire game, then boom, he's gone.

Blood & Wine is far better.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Eredin was a disappointment. He barely had a presence throughout the story then dies like a chump. What an forgetful villain.
How they handled the whole Wild Hunt thing was fucking awful. Barely a sniff of Eredin for the entire game, then boom, he's gone.
not to mention the fact that they butchered White Frost.
Book/W1 white frost was supposed to be some unstoppable climate change akin to the ice age, and the whole purpose of Ciri wasn't to fight it with a sword, but rather to give birth to John Connor-esque messiah leader.

RaptorRex888

Learned
They needed to simplify it for the masses that hadn't read the books or even played any of the other games in the series and make it akin to the big bad blue laser that needs to be stopped like in superhero movies.

Codex Year of the Donut

Blood & Wine is far better.
Felt like they just focused on making an interesting world/good side quests then remembered at the last moment that there's supposed to be a main quest.
Not that I'd have a problem with just playing as geralt doing Witcher stuff without some epic quest involved.

typical user

Arbiter
Iris & Aerondight are the best swords in the game, right?

Not in Blood & Wine. You can get two swords (steel and silver) which give you:
+100% Crit Damage
+20% Crit Chance

And some other status effect bonuses like chance to dismember, bleed or stun. The steel sword if I remember correctly is named Baucleir Knight Steelsword, both of these can be found in Toussant or crafted from their schematics. Can't remember which exactly but they are OP with crit-build which is main bread and butter if you focus on Alchemy or Swordsmanship trees.

Aerondight is lame. You get hit once = you lose the bonus. Leveling that sword is pain in the ass and it only gives you guaranteed crit after 10 hits. Much better investing into Alchemy and get 50% crit after first kill and just dump all your skillpoints and invest into gear which gives you crit. At New Game+ I was able to two shot Detlaff at his first encounter. Good luck doing that with this sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom