Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I heard Yakuza 3 was the worst in the series outside of Yakuza 1 on the PS2 with US localization (dubbed). Is this true?

IIRC it was controversial because of removal of feature from Yakuza 3 namely the Cabaret girls date from Yakuza 2. I think they removed some other stuffs too. Basically SEGA was self censoring Yakuza 3 before the "current year" was a thing and it was poorly accepted.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I heard Yakuza 3 was the worst in the series outside of Yakuza 1 on the PS2 with US localization (dubbed). Is this true?

IIRC it was controversial because of removal of feature from Yakuza 3 namely the Cabaret girls date from Yakuza 2. I think they removed some other stuffs too. Basically SEGA was self censoring Yakuza 3 before the "current year" was a thing and it was poorly accepted.
Full list of yakuza 3(original) removed content:
Removed:
-Answer x Answer, a quiz game on Japanese pop culture, which is no huge loss unless you know about what Japanese bands appeared on what Japanese TV shows
-The hostess club sections
-Mahjong
-Shogi
-Massage Parlor side game
-Something like 20 sidequests, only a few of which were related to the above

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
But if you found a solution and a simple batch file is already automation enough i would recommend you stick to it unless the micro stutters start appearing.

Yeah, the bat file is more convenient since I only have to click on it once (assigned to the Yakuza 0 icon on my desktop) and it launches Y0 with high performance cpu mode, then restores my power scheme when the game closes automatically. But thanks for the information.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Full list of yakuza 3(original) removed content:
Removed:
-Answer x Answer, a quiz game on Japanese pop culture, which is no huge loss unless you know about what Japanese bands appeared on what Japanese TV shows
-The hostess club sections
-Mahjong
-Shogi
-Massage Parlor side game
-Something like 20 sidequests, only a few of which were related to the above

Hopefully if they do remaster/release it for PC, they restore all the cut content.

Terra

Cipher
So what do yall think will be ported first: Yakuza 3 or Judgment?

I'd say so, the content cuts didn't help matters (as well as unbalancing the game economy since they cut hostess clubs, there's really nothing to dump that money into). It also had a rather... contrived/flimsy reason for dragging Kiryu back into a conflict, when he already had two excellent finales in Y1/Y2, the story, antagonist and ending for Y3 felt like a bit of a letdown for me at least. Later entries struck a better balance in this regard due to Kiryu not being the sole focus, but Y3 definitely felt like a weak entry after the fantastic Y2. Y3 is also an extremely slow starter which did not go down well with many people at launch, as I recall it's a good few chapters before you set foot in Kamurocho. I'd say it's gonna be the most dangerous entry with regards to ensuring the entire series makes it over to PC.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Well it had nothing to do with anything like that, the thing they had there was thinking just that Western audiences wouldn't understand the cut features. Hence why Mahjong and Shogi were cut along with hostesses outside of Japan, since they were thought as "too Japanese" to appeal to foreigners.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So what do yall think will be ported first: Yakuza 3 or Judgment?

I've played Yakuza 3 at release and I think it is a great game. It might be weaker than the other games in the series, but it's still a lot of fun.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I really wasn't paying that much attention to Judgment until someone said it was Yakuza with good writing, can anyone confirm that holds true and there are no asspulls/dumb shit in the main story? If so I'm probably gonna buy it right now. I was cooling off of the Yakuza series but I could make an exception to it since it seems to be different enough.

Holy fucking shit, this intro.

0's intro is the only one that got close to dethroning Yakuza 4's install/intro. Pretty badass, much like the rest of the fucking game!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I really wasn't paying that much attention to Judgment until someone said it was Yakuza with good writing, can anyone confirm that holds true and there are no asspulls/dumb shit in the main story? If so I'm probably gonna buy it right now. I was cooling off of the Yakuza series but I could make an exception to it since it seems to be different enough.
Not different enough in my opinion, but different enough to give it a try. I personally enjoy it more than Zero, but there is still too many Yakuza and their shit in the main plot, and overall gameplay and side content style are 95% identical to Yakuza. Still, the plot is more fun to follow, characters are great, combat is fun if a bit repetitive, and same old side content is there. I hope the series continues and becomes more distict from Yakuza - like, more detective, less Kamurocho.

Vaarna_Aarne

Not different enough in my opinion, but different enough to give it a try. I personally enjoy it more than Zero, but there is still too many Yakuza and their shit in the main plot, and overall gameplay and side content style are 95% identical to Yakuza. Still, the plot is more fun to follow, characters are great, combat is fun if a bit repetitive, and same old side content is there. I hope the series continues and becomes more distict from Yakuza - like, more detective, less Kamurocho.
I feel it's more of a pressing priority that MORE games need to be more like Yakuza than we need games that aren't Yakuza.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Did we all pick up Yakuza 0 at the same time? I started playing this three days ago, I'm at the start of Chapter 2 now. I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay yet, but I'm pretty invested in the story. I've never played a Yakuza game before, I've heard they get pretty wacky, but this one has been very serious. I like the story so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I get the feeling I haven't seen the last of Kuze.

Vaarna_Aarne

When I started baiting him to nearest sets of bicycles.

Did we all pick up Yakuza 0 at the same time? I started playing this three days ago, I'm at the start of Chapter 2 now. I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay yet, but I'm pretty invested in the story. I've never played a Yakuza game before, I've heard they get pretty wacky, but this one has been very serious. I like the story so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I get the feeling I haven't seen the last of Kuze.
The main story in Yakuza is always serious business, it's the side content where it goes full wacky so neither tone comes into conflict (and they really make it work, a big part of how the wacky works is that the characterization remains consistent and they still keep the idealism and big heart that makes the series special). Larger side content (in case of 0, real estate and hostess club management) also takes its own type of wacky tone, ie the baseball team management minigame in Yakuza 6 has its accompanying storyline go full shonen sports manga.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom