Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders: Planetfall - AoW gone to space

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't there a mod for AoW3 that balances everything with the intent to nerf doomstacks and make lower tier units worth it to use over T4s in some situations?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Never tried mods in this series. But you can't even really make 'doomstacks' in AoW3. They nerfed it from the ground up. Heroes are weak and de-fanged, abilities got nerfed, spells got nerfed and removed, and items are weak. Instead the heroes get big bonuses that effect all the other units in the stack. So it is designed to make you have 1 hero that leads a group of normal units. And if you have a few heroes, they each lead their own stack. That way you have multiple stacks each doing different things in different parts of the map, some attacking, some defending etc.

And when things heat up, you rush your stacks together and have huge battles with several stacks. I often get in fights with 4 of my stacks vs 4 enemy stacks. They over-engineered the game to play like that and there is no other option. It is more tactical really, and more balanced. More challenging too because you can't just exploit your way through everything, I get owned a lot in AoW3 if I don't play really smart. It is how they wanted us to play all along since AoW1, but it was only AoW3 that they finally spent a lot of time perfecting all aspects of the game.

But still.... I miss the old way of making a super godly overpowered stack that can rape and pillage the whole world. It was bad balance, but it was fun =) Also the new way is pretty tedious because 4 stacks vs 4 stacks means you micro managing and moving 24 units and then you wait while the AI moves his 24 units too. It is a chore, so I end up doing the Auto-Fight thing in every single battle which kinda makes it a waste of time even playing the game because you are missing out on half of the gameplay. At least the old way I would choose to manually fight because I am only moving 8 units that kick ass. But according to Steam forums I am a tiny minority so whatevs. I enjoy AoW3 anyway. I just prefer AoW1. And I'm still most likely gonna buy this. I actually kickstarted AoW3 and bought the expansions, but mostly as a sorry for not paying for AoW1/2 back in the day :p

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why mod? You can use T1 without problem without mod. Upkeep for 6 T1 is 24, upkeep for that manticore is 32, 6 elven archers can maul manticore quite well.

And then there is that fun when you can make boring beatles, you can make wolfriders with upkeep 2. And funnily enough, wolfriders have shield wall breaking.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If any of you guys want to play multiplayer (PBEM, not live), don't forget that the gog.com/forum/age_of_wonders_series forum has a small PBEM community for AoW1 and AoW2. I believe it's the only one still going unless there's a secret one hidden on discord somewhere.

I recently put some finishing touches on a 5 player map, but I want to playtest it, and one of the guys at GoG is stalling both games on it. Playing that map, or any map of course, with Codexers would be good.

Reminder that if your defense rating is higher than attack rating of the enemy, the enemy deals maximum damage if he hits.
I don't think that's exactly how the mechanic works. I think that if the attacker rolls a critical hit (which happens 10% of the time) they do max damage. Therefore, if you have 90% chance to hit, then only 1 out of 9 hits will be a critical hit that automatically does max damage. If you have 10% chance to hit then you always do max damage when you do hit. So a munchkin 10 DEF hero will always take 2 damage from an archer, always 5 from a ballista, etc. But if a 5 atk cavalry attacks a 6 def knight, then they still have 40% chance to hit so only 1/4 do max damage. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

jaydee2k

Savant
I wasn't impressed from the music played in previews. If you already decide to make a game in scifi setting and fuck up the music thats a dealbreaker...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Release is almost here, some time ago they promised to specify what's in the future dlc they are charging AAAAAAA+ money for. But it's all quiet.

Maybe they're still trying to decide what to cut out from the final release build.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are busy giving AoW3 away for free and an AOW4 discount to johnny come latelys and a middle finger to people who paid full price.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Looks like they're trying to boost pre-orders and finally decided to release some info on what you get if you buy the premium edition that costs over twice as much as a standard AAA release here.

The first dlc will cost $15 and will not even have a new faction. The following two will be $20 and the content is TBC. Seems like the first one is indeed cut content while the remaining two will be based on how well the game does.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like they're trying to boost pre-orders and finally decided to release some info on what you get if you buy the premium edition that costs over twice as much as a standard AAA release here.

The first dlc will cost $15 and will not even have a new faction. The following two will be $20 and the content is TBC. Seems like the first one is indeed cut content while the remaining two will be based on how well the game does.
It's Paradox. What did you expect? I love AoW but I have 0 faith in this game

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Holy fuck what an annoying voice. He keeps deliberately rolling his R's because he wants to be Patrick Stewart or something but he just sounds like a dipshit. I also hear occasional hints of Welsh and Scottish, and even his English has a trans-atlantic tinge to it. What a fucking disaster. Game looks promising.

Last edited:

Cnaiur

Augur
You should hear him complain about the 'volatile' combat because his units can actually die. He's insufferable.

Vatnik
:retarded:
Who the fuck cares about scenarios in a fucking age of wonders game?!?! Show me the basics of the campaign,you inbreed dipshit brit!!!
There's many very good fanmade scenarios for age of wonders games - and I wouldn't expect the homosexual soyim that make this game to write a tolerable story, but they might make a good scenario editor.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:retarded:
Who the fuck cares about scenarios in a fucking age of wonders game?!?! Show me the basics of the campaign,you inbreed dipshit brit!!!
There's many very good fanmade scenarios for age of wonders games - and I wouldn't expect the homosexual soyim that make this game to write a tolerable story, but they might make a good scenario editor.
Oh yeah,i am not talking about mods and such :). It is just that the review is ...... missing some points,assuming that people don't care about campaign and going full scenario is not good for a reviewer. I do love the older ones because of their writing and the campaign in general,never really cared about the random battles/maps in 4x games.

On another thing about the game. LoL 1 minute loading time for turn....that is really bad. In most 4x games you spend like 30seconds maybe minute on turn when you get the things going and get used to the ui,battles excluded. Also you play around 100-300 turn games,depending on the player and the setting,this means you get 100-300 minutes waiting time,that is simply bad.

Vatnik
Oh yeah,i am not talking about mods and such :). It is just that the review is ...... missing some points,assuming that people don't care about campaign and going full scenario is not good for a reviewer. I do love the older ones because of their writing and the campaign in general,never really cared about the random battles/maps in 4x games.

On another thing about the game. LoL 1 minute loading time for turn....that is really bad. In most 4x games you spend like 30seconds maybe minute on turn when you get the things going and get used to the ui,battles excluded. Also you play around 100-300 turn games,depending on the player and the setting,this means you get 100-300 minutes waiting time,that is simply bad.
I see what you mean now and I agree - procedurally generally maps aren't inherently bad but they're a reminder of how this series has been degraded by the influence of civ5/civ6

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:

Fuck it seems they just fucked the campaign hardcore. It looks like it will be a just a bunch of scenario missions that have made map and a few lines of dialogue and few quest.

I see what you mean now and I agree - procedurally generally maps aren't inherently bad but they're a reminder of how this series has been degraded by the influence of civ5/civ6
Yeah,the modern 4x games are pretty garbage clones of that shit civ. The age of wonders was pretty much dead once AoW3 came out,the game was never about some retarded garbage like nature vs industrialized capitalism. Also the whole game felt lacklustre.

Vatnik
:negative:

Fuck it seems they just fucked the campaign hardcore. It looks like it will be a just a bunch of scenario missions that have made map and a few lines of dialogue and few quest.

In a way, this is better than whatever abomination they'd have produced if they tried to make a campaign with a story.

Citizen

Or even some Shadow Magic-tier campaigns?

Don't pretend like shadow magic campaign was any good, maps mediocre gameplay-wise and the writing read like it was done by a 12 yo (which isn't really bad for a TBS game, but still was a huge decline compared to the amazing campaign of the first game)

8e1lpA.png

8e1H1q.png

8e1zfM.png

Cnaiur

Augur
From one of the Steam reviews:

Unplayable late game. Unfortunately, Planetfall suffers from the same problem plaguing many other 4X strategy games: that being the very slow load times during the late-game. As I play a lot of these games, I’m used to seeing load times around a minute per turn, but Planetfall easily takes the cake. Once you get up to turn 80 or so on a decently-sized map, the load times can take upwards of several minutes. In fact, on one of the game’s earlier campaign missions, I managed to get past turn 100, where the load times ended up taking around 4-5 minutes to complete every turn. And this is on a brand new Ryzen 3700x, so I imagine the situation will be much worse for those with older CPUs. Most of the games I played finished well before this became a problem, but it was frustrating when I did run into it.

Looks like you have the time to answer those evening e-mails from your boss after all lads!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
He just means ai turn times, right? The usage of word "load" is confusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom