Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

hellbent

Augur
This is a random question, but since the sale is still on, does anyone want to recommend good 2-player co-op games that are cheap right now? Post on my profile if you don't want to spam the thread.

Others said Hammerwatch and Broforce and both are fun. I also very much like Door Kickers: Action Squad and Mother Russia Bleeds for arcadey couch co-op gameplay. Door Kickers gives you a star rating system for each level which appeals to one's inner autist.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a random question, but since the sale is still on, does anyone want to recommend good 2-player co-op games that are cheap right now? Post on my profile if you don't want to spam the thread.
Couch co-op? Can't go wrong with Broforce, it's hilarious, just skip the normal difficulty and go to hard.
Looking for online co-op; I have a long distance gamer friend. Thanks though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
A year late but thank god. I think Japanese developers are kinda stepping on their shoelaces by releasing PC ports a while after the console release. I'm not quite sure what their motivation for that is.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A year late but thank god. I think Japanese developers are kinda stepping on their shoelaces by releasing PC ports a while after the console release. I'm not quite sure what their motivation for that is.

Probably because many Japanese publishers (especially if they're smaller) can't handle PC development internally. Bigger publishers like Capcom and Bandai Namco do simultaneous releases on PC, they likely have established process for PC development already. (Capcom's Monster Hunter World is notable for not doing simultaneous release, as they admitted, the MH team had less experience with PC development.)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Probably because many Japanese publishers (especially if they're smaller) can't handle PC development internally. Bigger publishers like Capcom and Bandai Namco do simultaneous releases on PC, they likely have established process for PC development already. (Capcom's Monster Hunter World is notable for not doing simultaneous release, as they admitted, the MH team had less experience with PC development.)

Do we know the stats on their PC sales percentage? I always assumed that Japanese games sold less on PC than a shooter or Western RPG would, lowering the enthusiasm to get a day and date solid port out.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Do we know the stats on their PC sales percentage? I always assumed that Japanese games sold less on PC than a shooter or Western RPG would, lowering the enthusiasm to get a day and date solid port out.

I think big publishers do see PC as one of core platforms. I don't have concrete numbers right now, but you can see Capcom boasting about PC sales of recent releases, or Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo releasing almost everything simultaneously on PC. SEGA and Square Enix are still spotty, but progressing I think.

Also note that one of the big motivations behind PC release is Asia, especially China. For example, from an interview about Atelier RPG series:

GamesBeat: Of the current consoles, what platform has the best sales — PlayStation 4 or Nintendo Switch?

Kikuchi: Well, for EU and NA, the number of sales on Switch is catching up with the PS4 version due to constant growth, but in Asia, the Steam versions dominates sales.

Codex Year of the Donut

I think big publishers do see PC as one of core platforms. I don't have concrete numbers right now, but you can see Capcom boasting about PC sales of recent releases, or Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo releasing almost everything simultaneously on PC. SEGA and Square Enix are still spotty, but progressing I think.

Also note that one of the big motivations behind PC release is Asia, especially China. For example, from an interview about Atelier RPG series:

GamesBeat: Of the current consoles, what platform has the best sales — PlayStation 4 or Nintendo Switch?

Kikuchi: Well, for EU and NA, the number of sales on Switch is catching up with the PS4 version due to constant growth, but in Asia, the Steam versions dominates sales.
based gooks refusing to use inferior platforms

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A new Turok game!:

ss_f711e761376204c392d3b9f221344fec54a24111.600x338.jpg

This is one of runners-up from Universal Studios' game dev contest based on its IPs.

The winner of the contest is this Voltron game btw:

ss_ba1148fbc5d26e83df65b7bbabc5dc9b722f666e.600x338.jpg

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
P.S. In case you guys didnt see it in the other thread, check this out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/

Lossless Scaling. Turns old games with tiny resolutions into higher resolution without it going fuzzy. Magic!
That's an xBRZ filter (GPL) and the software doesn't seem opensource. I'll poke for it to see if I can rebuild it myself.

Also my haul:

LMdTU1f.png

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Maybe. I just threw the request on the Steam forum, let's see if they comply.

Codex Year of the Donut
P.S. In case you guys didnt see it in the other thread, check this out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/

Lossless Scaling. Turns old games with tiny resolutions into higher resolution without it going fuzzy. Magic!
That's an xBRZ filter (GPL) and the software doesn't seem opensource. I'll poke for it to see if I can rebuild it myself.

Also my haul:

LMdTU1f.png
They refer to it as "antialiasing"(lol) but it definitely looks like a low xBRZ.
xBRZ produces a unique look that's hard to miss.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Didn't buy a thing. Guess I'll look again now and see if I can convince myself otherwise in the last few hours.

They did some thing where people who didn't participate in the event also got tokens, check if you have enough for a coupon.
Where would I redeem that coupon?

If you have at least 15000 points, the "want to use a coupon?" option should show up automatically when you check your cart (just put whatever in). If not, click on the event banner at the top of the steam frontpage, then look for the pit stop link, where you can buy event stuff with tokens, including coupons. Don't think you'll have enough if you did nothing at all during the sale but takes a minute to check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom