Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm considering starting an Anomaly playthrough. Any recommended addons? For that matter, should I stick to the stable v1.4, or go with the newer beta?

I think you should wait for 1.5. full.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm considering starting an Anomaly playthrough. Any recommended addons? For that matter, should I stick to the stable v1.4, or go with the newer beta?

I think you should wait for 1.5. full.

Yeah, it has a lot of nice additions from the looks of the dev log on discord.

I think the most interesting is the addition of special unlockable factions for completing parts of the storyline.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
cretin How did OGSR engine w/ Radiophobia 2 work out?

it just didnt, lmao.

immediately crashes about trying to open the executable. I dont know why, i cant find ANY discussion about it, even in the russian websites. My only theory is maybe you need the russian version of SoC, but i doubt this because thats never been the case before with any mod ive tried.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
How close to the vanilla game is OGSE when it comes to the story/quests and mechanics?

main storyline is probably 85-90% the same. Theres a lot more sidequests, some fairly involved, and then a lot of fetch/kill miscellaneous.

Mechanics wise, it is in the spirit of vanilla, but much is changed.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
NIce to hear. Any add-ons you'd recommend?

id recommend Realistic Rebalancing Addon. Its worth it for the AI improvements alone. I really dont like some of his other changes however, such as MISERYfying the actor movement speed and stamina.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How close to the vanilla game is OGSE when it comes to the story/quests and mechanics?

It's vanilla extended, to fill holes after rushed release (when they had to cut out so much stuff) and added more from modders but nothing "Slav Zone" bizzare, at least my memory didn't registers anything traumatic...
edit - wait, forgot this gem

2:15

oh and there is Darkscape map that's put between Dark Valley and Cordon. You have to get through after escaping lab in DV. I hope you enjoy walking or driving for hour only to be launched into space by anomaly.
And more quests and tasks for main quest line that makes main quest line longer but not so much (beside aforementioned Darkscape) and more sidequest

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Newest 1.5. Anomaly dev blog

AHY9wKr.jpg

UB9xpGK.jpg

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
dont know if anyone is playing OGSE currently, but I'm working on a package of tweaks for it. Nothing game changing, just shit that bothered the hell out of me.
Changes so far:
- restored AI fire dispersion values to the ones in the link commented in the m_stalker file. They were all at 0 before, which is kind of odd and with later game enemies leads to a lot of oh this pixel i can barely see shot me in the teeth. The restored values are only slightly higher,so the difference wont be much but will hopefully be a tiny bit more forgiving at longer ranges.
- restored ADS for sawn off shotguns. First of all, anyone who plays soc with a crosshair is a fag, and secondly, if you want to fire both barrels just press mouse 1 twice real fast nigga, shit.
- lowered obnoxious laboured ADS for certain weapons. Silly change IMO, it makes no sense that a shotgun that is lighter than a loaded AKM takes way longer to shoulder and aim.
- increased AKM recoil. The lack of recoil in the AKM obliterates the choice between it and the less powerful AK74 early game.
- increased MP5 recoil. It was so low before it was barely perceptible to the point where it feels odd to shoot.

to do:
- changing recoil for the rest of the weapons. Not just from a realism perspective, but sometimes the balance is off like the aforementioned example with the AKM. In general I like the way theyve set up the parameters, but its just a bit too soft on some weapons, for example, the 9x39mm weapons were kind of OP considering their massive damage yet super soft recoil.
- considering changing the resistances or health of pseudodogs. They're arguably one of the most dangerous enemies in the game because of their speed, attack radius and rocket like jumping attacks. I think thats a little ridiculous, but I might leave this alone, not sure.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
ah fuck it i give up trying to figure this shit out. Increasing the recoil seems to work for some weapons but for others like the MP5 it does do jack shit and seems to be tied to animations. AK74 has massive muzzle flip while the MP5 and ppsh barely move. I dont want to fuck with too many variables because I'm aware that in SoC a few of them drastically alter NPC handling.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
ah fuck it i give up trying to figure this shit out. Increasing the recoil seems to work for some weapons but for others like the MP5 it does do jack shit and seems to be tied to animations. AK74 has massive muzzle flip while the MP5 and ppsh barely move. I dont want to fuck with too many variables because I'm aware that in SoC a few of them drastically alter NPC handling.

i'm probably being naive, but shouldn't AI handling mostly be controlled by cam_relax_speed_ai?

dunno what OGSE did, and tbh i never did go really in-depth (since reading russian modding resources through google translate sucks), but i loved fooling with vanilla SoC + ZRP weapon config, and there's only so many variables - and if you don't want to think about each one independently, i'd settle on a base "recoil factor" for each weapon and then base everything on it so you're effectively dealing with just one variable. sure, it loses some theoretical depth, streamlining decline etc. etc. but hey.

so, cam_relax_speed and cam_dispersion_inc i'd always set to 0, cam_dispertion_frac to 0.8. then, e.g.:

ak74 - recoil "factor" 17:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 42.0; 360 / 17 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.70; 17 / 10
cam_max_angle = 42.5; 17 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 85.0; 17 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 8.50; 17 / 2

sig550 - recoil "factor" 15:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 48.0; 360 / 15 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.50; 15 / 10
cam_max_angle = 37.5; 15 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 75.0; 15 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 7.50; 15 / 2

mp5 - recoil "factor" 12:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 60.0; 360 / 12 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.20; 12 / 10
cam_max_angle = 30.0; 12 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 60.0; 12 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 6.00; 12 / 2

sorry if this is off topic to what you're doing (it probably is), it's just good to find someone talking about this in a language i can understand.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

i'm probably being naive, but shouldn't AI handling mostly be controlled by cam_relax_speed_ai?

dunno what OGSE did, and tbh i never did go really in-depth (since reading russian modding resources through google translate sucks), but i loved fooling with vanilla SoC + ZRP weapon config, and there's only so many variables - and if you don't want to think about each one independently, i'd settle on a base "recoil factor" for each weapon and then base everything on it so you're effectively dealing with just one variable. sure, it loses some theoretical depth, streamlining decline etc. etc. but hey.

so, cam_relax_speed and cam_dispersion_inc i'd always set to 0, cam_dispertion_frac to 0.8. then, e.g.:

ak74 - recoil "factor" 17:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 42.0; 360 / 17 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.70; 17 / 10
cam_max_angle = 42.5; 17 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 85.0; 17 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 8.50; 17 / 2

sig550 - recoil "factor" 15:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 48.0; 360 / 15 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.50; 15 / 10
cam_max_angle = 37.5; 15 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 75.0; 15 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 7.50; 15 / 2

mp5 - recoil "factor" 12:

cam_relax_speed_ai = 60.0; 360 / 12 * 2
cam_dispersion = 1.20; 12 / 10
cam_max_angle = 30.0; 12 / 2 * 5
cam_max_angle_horz = 60.0; 12 / 2 * 10
cam_step_angle_horz = 6.00; 12 / 2

sorry if this is off topic to what you're doing (it probably is), it's just good to find someone talking about this in a language i can understand.

from what i understood, at least trying to poorly understand things with google translate, the russians are saying the inc and frac variables have a massive effect on the weapon handling by the NPCs as well, pertaining to their recovery from recoil I think. My specific problem with OGSE is some of the values and then the ingame effects dont seem to be coherent. For example, just to test something i gave the MP5 and the AK74 the exact same cam_dispersion and max angle. Go in game to test, MP5 still barely even moves in semi auto fire, while the AK74 still has this huge muzzle flip. Either im missing something or theres something going on with the animations. I just got too frustrated to do anything more with modding, i was editing 4 different mods simulataneously and now im just like welp fuck it, ill either enjoy a mod as it comes or not at all.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

from what i understood, at least trying to poorly understand things with google translate, the russians are saying the inc and frac variables have a massive effect on the weapon handling by the NPCs as well, pertaining to their recovery from recoil I think. My specific problem with OGSE is some of the values and then the ingame effects dont seem to be coherent. For example, just to test something i gave the MP5 and the AK74 the exact same cam_dispersion and max angle. Go in game to test, MP5 still barely even moves in semi auto fire, while the AK74 still has this huge muzzle flip. Either im missing something or theres something going on with the animations. I just got too frustrated to do anything more with modding, i was editing 4 different mods simulataneously and now im just like welp fuck it, ill either enjoy a mod as it comes or not at all.
oh well, i understand the frustration

iirc, vanilla at least has cam_relax_speed_ai set so high that NPCs recover from any amount of recoil instantly or close enough

_inc only affects subsequent shots in auto fire (making the recoil increase even steeper), but after the 3rd auto shot the base recoil is (or should be?) already high enough to pretty much guarantee rounds will go off target, so who cares?

_frac is a tricky one, but values < 1.0 are there to prevent the recoil from being too predictable i think? i didn't figure it out so used 0.8 across the board

from what i remember, the shooting animations really do not follow the values as expected even in vanilla - but, if you track the distance moved by the point of aim (the crosshair, if you have it enabled for debugging purposes) should follow it precisely?

e.g the Nikonov has dispersion_start 2, meaning there is zero recoil after the first shot in the burst, but double after the second; yet i'm sure the recoil animation is there for the first shot as well - but, if you test the point of aim by setting dispersion to negligible, the impact of the second round will be in the same spot as the first - i.e. dispersion was not applied and there is no real recoil

either way, cheers (and let me know if you ever get back to modding and find out more)

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Believe me, I played a lot of Stalker. I have played Last Day, I played Anomaly (few seasons on my channel), I played Dead Air that many Stalker veterans saw as just too much bullshit, too little fun. I even have a completed 50+ hour season of DA on my channel but...BUT

I have never seen a mod that bullshits so much as Lost Alpha. While Dead Air and all the other hardcore mods had outrageous spawns, sometimes unfair areas and the like, they were still more fair that anything I've seen in the 10+ hours of Lost Alpha I recorded. In Dead Air you were battling the economy, if you had ammo, armor, good positioning, you were able to have a fair fight. Outrageous mutant spawns like the 5+ bloodsucker combos you could encounter in areas like the Army Warehouses or the Dead City were harsh, but you could handle it especially with how effective buckshot was. It was sometimes unfair, but for the sake of being challenging. But Lost Alpha... every human enemy instagibs you, I have some of the more hardcore options enabled but damn it is ridiculous. Enemies are the worst sort of bullet sponges you might imagine, chest shots are basically not viable, be it rifle, be it buckshot to their faces. Bandit in a tracksuit or Army supersoldier, both are made out of steel, armed with the equivalent of the Monolith Gaus gun masked as a shitty rifle. The early mutants that you meet are basically made out of kevlar, boars don't care about buckshot, dogs neither. It can take up to 3 well placed buckshot rounds to take out a boar. I've met a single bloodsucker in Agroprom underground and I shot it so much that I thought that the mutant is invincible and bugged. Finally I threw two grenades (not direct hits to be fair) and spent a fair amount of my rifle and buckshot ammunition before finally killing it. Some of the zones like the new Forest area which I haven't seen before look nice but they are fundamentally broken. You have a guy sending you from the Garbage to the Forest to find his buddy. (And no, it's not a repeatable, staple mission, it is hand placed by the devs). As a sensible person you would think that a mod which is not a total freeplay mod like some of the big ones would have some sense of player progression. If I'm in the Garbage I'm probably not wearing an Exo, rocking a Saiga. So, if you decide to follow this logic you will get into a unbeatable maze of rads and mutants in the Forest because... well, fuck you, that's why. The whole area is infested with zones of high radiation that you can't avoid (I even have an upgraded gas mask which is not common in the early game), there are mutants around that I don't even recognize from all the other mods I've played, they look like mutated monkeys and are super strong and fast. And I've seen every bullshit mutant a Russian could come up with, from ported Metro stuff to autistic dwarfs. The other Rookie mission I took at the bar had me go for a lost rifle where I was met by at least 20 bandits, reinforced by about 20+ tushkanos, a controller and 3-4 snorks, all of that in the "Great metal factory" which is a maze that is the combination of the area normal human beings know as Rostok and the Wild Territory. Entering the bar is a chore in Lost Alpha due to the layout of the place, not to talk that the apparent main base of Duty is always infested with mutants. So much for the great purgers of the Zone's evil. Great times were had.

Many design decisions annoy me but the original sin of gaming design is omnipresent in Lost Alpha. Blocking the player freedom just for the sake of it. I'm a fan of Gothic-like design, the game world is open but if you stroll into the wrong area you will get your ass handed to you. I wanted to go to the Army Warehouses to visit Freedom but the whole area is blocked off by a message saying: "The rads are too high you can't go there". Well, if that is the case, let me go there and die of rads. Allow the more experienced player to at least find ways around the limitations you've put into the game, and don't use the invisible wall, deus ex machina, bullshitery. I'm committed to completing LA since I started to let's play it but I really thought I'm immune to all Stalker mod bs after spending considerable amounts of time with any hardcore mod since Last Day and peaking with the stuff Dead Air throws at you. The more I play it, the more I see that GSC cut away so much bullshit, which is good if these are truly the alpha ideas the devs had.

tl; dr I'm salty about Lost Alpha.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
man you made it way further than I did in LA, i dropped that piece of shit 10 minutes in. Play OLR 2.5 if you want the real "build feelz" experience. Not that i recommend OLR either, personally i found it dreadfully boring and can see why a lot of that content was cut or completely remade.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I'd say Anomaly, although 1.5. isn't out yet.

Dead Air is fine if you're okay with tweaking the bs out with addons found on the moddb page.

Curratum

Help a brother out! I'm playing Call of Chernobyl and there's a very intrusive Psi-shader that comes up every time you're in Lab X-18, staying on screen almost all of the time.

It's the blue-tinted thing that looks kinda like this: https://i.imgur.com/kAC4rtw.jpg

Anyone know what shader file this is contained in and how can I change it? I suspect removing it will also remove the psi-effects from controllers and the like but I'm ok with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom