Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

troupeg

Educated
Yeah but still. More classes is always a good thing for multiple playthroughs

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah but still. More classes is always a good thing for multiple playthroughs

I'm not saying it doesn't add anything worthwhile. But in my opinion people shouldn't use it as an excuse not to enjoy the PC version. It's one of the best blobbers on PCs at the moment. And while the vita version does have its perks, so does the PC version, like higher resolution and custom portraits.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
got a bit of a love/ hate relationship with this so far.

Art is looking great (esp. on a monitor with the Steam version), mechanics are deep-ish in the Vita and Windows versions and balance is well put together, but seems to be super fucking deep in the Azn versions that those privileged Azns got. It's telling that they got two SoSC games in the time we got one... and then another one, because even the one that they exported to the West was so gutted in the first release they had to do "SoSC Revisited", which as far as I can tell from screenshots is simply closer to the original (it's got classes like Clocker that were missing in the initial release for example).

:x

Now trying to get my hands on a US version of Revisited, or if I can, on a Jap version of the Vita game. Not to mention this beauty:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エクスペリエンス-剣...白の王宮&qid=1554985168&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

fuckers won't ship to outside Japan. I'd pay good Jew gold for that.

Efe

Erudite
afaik revisited is dumbed down but dont quote me on that

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
afaik revisited is dumbed down but dont quote me on that

I think there's some (deliberate?) confusion about the game... for instance, 'Beginner' difficulty starts out much easier than 'Normal' difficulty. In the very beginning, you hardly take any damage. Then again, that's regular RPG stuff. It also makes more sense - it never made much sense to me that on Normal my level 2 party would fight against 'level 12' hydras and mop the floor with them. Balancing seems better across the board in 'Beginner' mode. Note how there are only two difficulties, and the default one is not Beginner.

Like I said the game got mangled in the extreme by localization. As usual.

:flamesaw:

Efe

Erudite
the usual japan blobbers with anime visuals are shallow.
from what i read some time ago in steam threads they dulled the sharp edges and released it as revisited

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
the usual japan blobbers with anime visuals are shallow.
from what i read some time ago in steam threads they dulled the sharp edges and released it as revisited

People don't know what they don't know, but that doesn't stop them from talking about things.

Typical Steam review:

[…] Problem one. The grinding.
-Usually I love a good dungeon crawling RPG with lots of grinding and powering up your party. This is one of the top reasons I bought this game. However the combat in this game is crazy. The battles activate randomly as you walk around on the map, and they are too infrequent. I'm 6 hours into the game now, and about 4 of those have been walking in circles to get a battle going. To make things worse, the battles are insanely easy. 90% of the fights, my party doesn't even take a point of damage. I just keep hitting the fastest autobattle button to finish the fights in less than 10 seconds. Wait, if the game is so easy, why don't I just continue to a new area with harder monsters? Well, that takes us to...
[…]Problem two. The balance.
-Like I said before, my party is so strong I rarely take a hit. Then the next random battle spawns an enemy which is actually pretty challenging.
[…]Problem three. The penalty for dying in combat.
-Ok now I have to check my character in for recovery. It takes "One day" of game time for him to recover. This means I now have to pop in another party member and now go grind with someone new.[…] If they die with no hearts left, they vanish forever. At least you can restore hearts....but to do so you have to check your character in for another "Seven days" of game time to get a heart back. Yes. More grinding secondary characters to add to your already painful grind time.

Ok so like I mentioned, I'm only 6 hours in so far.[…]

"Yeah you have to grind a lot but actually you don't grind much because no monsters. When you find them you kill them in 10 seconds but then you're going to die in every other fight. You have to take replacements for dead guys (except not, you can go grinding without them) because there's no way to restore life points except hospitalization (except yes, it's a cheap starting item)."

Like I said, the problem is two-fold. We got customization options taken away from us, in fact, entire classes ripped out of the game, which means fewer tools that a player can make use of. Frankly there's no point in trying to think your way through a mangled system. And then they ruined the balance on top of it by putting in that 'Normal' difficutly mode that obviously turns out deceptively easy to the idiots out there who won't even take the time to look at what 'Beginner' mode actually is. A beginning =/= normalcy, logical thinking 101, but it's exactly those idiots that games are being broken for.

Not dumbed down, broken down. The Kodex used to get its terminology wrong. And I never got what the fuss was about until I realized that retards don't cause games to be simpler, they cause devs to come up with complex systems and then break those systems in all the places that are offensive to the sensibilities of fucktards. THAT'S the reason why so many RPG's turned out so goddamn mangled with oh so much potential.

War dieses Review hilfreich? Ja Nein Lustig

wow, I like those new evolved ratings. Definitiv lustig.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From what I remember, the additional classes, rebalance and content were added in a kind of DLC/extension, that was never ported.
We got the original version, before a "revisited" version. Doesn't mean it was a bad/inferior version.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
From what I remember, the additional classes, rebalance and content were added in a kind of DLC/extension, that was never ported.
We got the original version, before a "revisited" version. Doesn't mean it was a bad/inferior version.

You can clearly forget about that. There are too many things that don't add up.

I'm all for beginning in medias res (which really just means you have to begin somewhere), but in this case, you're dropped in a fucking swamp. It's clear there's a huge lot of lore going on there but there's hardly any exposition going on and the whole experience is clearly rushed. Ok, so I was in a plane... then the plane crashed a few minutes ago… and now I'm in a fucking underground labyrinth... mysterious old dude shows me to the door… then a fucking wyvern swoops down and is killed by a little schoolgirl who makes old guy piss off after a bit of bitching.

:kingcomrade::kingcomrade::kingcomrade::kingcomrade::kingcomrade:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
honestly i just mashed X on 95% of the dialog windows. none of it is necessary to read in order to play the game.

which btw, was a pretty damn good game. i remember reading that the remake/re-release version dumbed shit down too but the person to ask is dorarnae.

experience inc also dumbed down the class systems and enemy difficulty in their other remake Operation abyss/babel... doesn't bode well for their new game that they're making but i remain hopeful.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
honestly i just mashed X on 95% of the dialog windows. none of it is necessary to read in order to play the game.

which btw, was a pretty damn good game. i remember reading that the remake/re-release version dumbed shit down too but the person to ask is dorarnae.

experience inc also dumbed down the class systems and enemy difficulty in their other remake Operation abyss/babel... doesn't bode well for their new game that they're making but i remain hopeful.

Some of the ideas were nice and some were probably just nice on paper. but what they added were mostly idea from players if I remember....
Giving a counter that can stun ennemy when you guard seems nice since now guard is actually useful and it's no longer about stacking evade/hit buff, but the problem it caused in my opinion is now you kept guarding till the boss was stunned and then hit hard next turn and then guard and wait til it is stunned again. they should of added some kind of immunity.
the new class are interesting, but the last skill on the clocker class is OP, you want it with all character.
they added little section in some map with a bunch of consumable to boost your stats. I don't mind those items, but I had like 20 or 30 of each stats, a bit dumb.

the difficulty is rebalanced I guess but I personally prefer the original.
there's a new post game dungeon and boss to see other ending instead of replaying the entire game, but meh, it wasn't that exciting.

the good change that I can remember were higher dmg for lava tile in dungeon. and having light veil duration being 3 turn which is a good thing but those skill are still OP. and a bunch of new items.
Personally I prefer the original version, even if at one point it's maybe easier if you farm the butterfly and it's different in revisited. but seriously the clocker last skill breaks the game.

I don't know about operation abyss and babel, the original game weren't that hard either, I'll have to replay the original at some point but I don't remember them being hard.
as long as the music and atmosphere is alright and then have a good loot system and other interesting thing. Persona q2 on highest difficulty annoys me, it's just not fun because the loot system(which is like Etrian odyssey) sucks and the exp scale with your level which I also hate, also the dmg you deal/received....also hate their dungeon design.
exp game are easy but I dunno, I enjoy farming gear in their game.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How is Persona Q 2?

The first one annoyed the shit out of my with regards to balance - I absolutely hated how uneconomical all SP based skills were.
They used up all your SP and were generally LESS effective than doing a regular attack on the enemy, and that's without factoring in fun skills like double attack, or the very effective link attack skills that use your HP as a resource.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
How is Persona Q 2?

The first one annoyed the shit out of my with regards to balance - I absolutely hated how uneconomical all SP based skills were.
They used up all your SP and were generally LESS effective than doing a regular attack on the enemy, and that's without factoring in fun skills like double attack, or the very effective link attack skills that use your HP as a resource.

I don't like it. I stopped at the third dungeon. SP thing is pretty much the same in this one, the cost is high. The first game at least you could farm FOE for better persona and great exp, now the grinding is boring.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just picked this up.

Are there any "I wish I knew that 20 hours ago" kind of things? Not like "stack Sorcerers to be uber OP" or "u can exploit coins by putting a stapler on the space bar in the town square", but just like basic stuff about how the gameplay is supposed to go?

Delterius

Arcane
Just picked this up.

Are there any "I wish I knew that 20 hours ago" kind of things? Not like "stack Sorcerers to be uber OP" or "u can exploit coins by putting a stapler on the space bar in the town square", but just like basic stuff about how the gameplay is supposed to go?
Well, how does one draw the line between that and pleasant discoveries? Its just very personal so here's my nugget of wisdom: your main character is a perfect frontliner because like every anime protagonist you're p good at dying.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, how does one draw the line between that and pleasant discoveries? Its just very personal so here's my nugget of wisdom: your main character is a perfect frontliner because like every anime protagonist you're p good at dying.
I mean stuff like "I wish I knew that P opens the formation menu which they never tell you about", or "There's no way to survive anything unless you craft a lot of healing potions, and they never tell you about crafting". Like when Final Fantasy 7 gives you that tutorial on what the fuck Materia is, or Chrono Trigger describes how combos work, I never would have picked that shit up randomly and in today's "no such thing as a manual" culture I wonder whether some obscure JRPG is going to fuck me over.

I guess I'm still stinging from Nier Automata's inadequate explanation of key systems 1 2 3 so I want to make sure in advance I'm not overlooking something here.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, what comes to mind:
1. You can use a whistle BEFORE your party gets scrambled - this will light up an icon at the bottom and stop 1 scramble.
2. Dolls with the "Item loss Rate Up" effect is an artifact of bad translation - it actually means the item has a chance of being reusable once activated.
3. Double Cast and Triple Cast do as the name implies - they don't double and triple the MP cost as the description implies.
4. Farm butterflies if you're stuck - the one in the lava area is the easiest to get to and defeat.
5. Always keep Force Guard active during longer fights
6. There are tough marks that will sometimes intrude on your fight, prepare yourself accordingly by boosting Hit and Avoid

newtmonkey

Arcane
If you like Wizardry clones, you can't get anything better (I mean, other than Grimoire and Eliminage). It's a fine game, and there's plenty of content even in the version that got released on Steam.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a cool game graphics, system and itemization-wise.
But the maps really could be better.

Yes, these NIS games are very pretty, but the dungeons are simplistic. Surely designed like that because you can not save inside, it's still easy to get through.

Stranger is a good and worthy game though, the exploration is not as fragmented as in Operation Abyss, and the multi-class system is even better than in Babel. It was fun to make an entire party of hybrid Ninjas who could not be targeted sometimes, plus some post-post-game bosses were definitely challenging. And the drawings !

Zombra

Patron
I am playing this again. Class changing seems kind of pro to me, and I don't really care about building Football Helmet Clown Shoes elite synergy characters. Is it fine to just have a couple people of each normal class so I can get all the skills? Or will I be drowning in regrets later on if I don't stack a bunch of crazy abilities on every character?

mogwaimon

Magister
probably regret it if you want to do any of the post-game superbosses, I was able to beat the game just fine with a regular party that had only maybe one class change total among them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom