Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, let's all remember that Duke Forever turned out to be the perfect game and a smash hit because it had Duke in it!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Take it for what you want, but my father would have never finished Shadow Warrior or Duke 3D if it wasn't for the voice acting. Said, that they were incredible catchy, and gave the game the certain something, which made it really unique and special to him.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Precisely. If you are going to make a game where the titular character is made into an asset you have to make sure the character in question is pretty damn good or you might as well don't bother and go the Doom way. But, can you make a female version of a character like Duke? Probably not, because men and women aren't the same and what makes men interesting may not translate too well once you swap genders, and swapping genders has worn off it's "novelty" value at this point, and SJWs ruined it for anyone, even people who have a justification like this game does, since "bombshell" is part of the Duke legacy, even though the character itself was just a PC insert even then.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plenty of games have had a starring character that wasn't super amazing and memorable. (Duke Nukem 1 and 2 come to mind.) No one has broken some immutable law in making this game, or failed to do what they "have to".

And let's face it, Duke in Duke 3D wasn't groundbreaking; he was a ripoff of other, better media such as Ash from Evil Dead and Roddy Piper from They Live. There was nothing original about him. It was just funny to have movie quotes* in a game.

*changed just enough to avoid lawsuits. Hmmmmmm something familiar about that

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Hey, let's all remember that Duke Forever turned out to be the perfect game and a smash hit because it had Duke in it!

"Hey guys let me use the example of this shitty male comedian to demonstrate men aren't actually better at comedy than women".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And let's face it, Duke in Duke 3D wasn't groundbreaking; he was a ripoff of other, better media such as Ash from Evil Dead and Roddy Piper from They Live. There was nothing original about him. It was just funny to have movie quotes* in a game

Criticizing Duke for not being "original" is to miss the point of the character entirely.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's called being an homage. Lo Wang is also nothing but a collection of cliches but that was the point. Both characters succeed because they were very good at imitating the "stereotypes" they were based on.

Zombra

Patron
It's called being an homage. Lo Wang is also nothing but a collection of cliches but that was the point. Both characters succeed because they were very good at imitating the "stereotypes" they were based on.
So if this game did more of the same, you assert that it would perforce be a resounding success on that basis?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It would make the game be more successful.

I mean, first of all, what is this character even supposed to be a parody of? Bombshell was supposed to be Duke Nukem gender swapped. She was supposed to be as much of an outrageous parody as he was. Now she is what, a cop who uses bombs? Really? They had a golden opportunity here to make a true "Bombshell" game given how much of a well crafted Build game this appears to be (at least going by the trailer), instead we got this, generic nobody woman. Did soy got in the way of making her into outrageous kick ass sexy female Duke? Probably.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Well, sure, if the comedy was brilliant, the game would be better. So ... "Good writing is better than bad writing." Not really gonna disagree there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, but now i forgot what we were arguing about.

Ho, right, wimminz.

Well, like i said, that shit is done now. A game like this can only be an anachronism. "Wokeness" has been spoiled for most people, and wombyn being super bass ass military commandos is starting to look silly at this point.

What does bombshell have to do with titties? The character is a bomb defusal expert and also knows how to use them.

Not sure if joking.

Curratum

Ok, but now i forgot what we were arguing about.

Ho, right, wimminz.

Well, like i said, that shit is done now. A game like this can only be an anachronism. "Wokeness" has been spoiled for most people, and wombyn being super bass ass military commandos is starting to look silly at this point.

What does bombshell have to do with titties? The character is a bomb defusal expert and also knows how to use them.

Not sure if joking.

I'm not joking. It's a first person game, the character is not oversexed on the box art, even if the allusion is there, it's not really played out visually or in her character (which, I agree, is annoying and the one-liners are pretty bad, but at least there's a menu toggle to silence her entirely).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dude, you know what a bombshell is, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombshell_(sex_symbol)

Bombshell, the original concept, was supposed to be the female counterpart to Duke, and since Duke is an outrageous parody of every stereotype of the beefed up action hero Bombshell was intended to be hyper sexual and equally out there. But since we now live in the age of soy she got downgraded into a "bomb defusal expert". This is in the same universe that has a Chinese character called "Lo Wang".

Duke, Lo Wang, Caleb... and now generic action wombyn, 'cause in the age we live in fun isn't allowed.

Curratum

That looks like a singularly shitty mod.

And the fact that you inbred incels get so butthurt over who the fuck the character in a first person shooter is, as if it's the sole source of your masturbatory material, is still fucking amazing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It matters because this is a series where the main character is actually part of the attraction. This isn't Doom.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Getting upset an action game has a female main character is living up to the worst bullshit SJWs say about "gamers." You're feeding their nonsense with your own nonsense. Stop being a tool.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Getting upset an action game has a female main character is living up to the worst bullshit SJWs say about "gamers." You're feeding their nonsense with your own nonsense. Stop being a tool.

Can't speak for everyone in this scintillating conversation that's going on here, but I'm mostly disappointed that an action game has a female main character that's dull as dishwater, and that's before sexiness even enters the picture.

I also faintly recall that this is a prequel to the other Bombshell game that starred the same character, and that this game would show the character's transition (I know, lots of possible allusions right there.)

Also, seeing your riveting performance in the Epic Game Store thread, and then seeing you calling people "tools" here, is just top kek.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On another note... changing the name from Ion Maiden to Ion Fury to avoid a possible lawsuit... INB4 the estate of Ian Dury catches wind of this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom