Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Or I'm like the tens of millions of others who have played them and enjoyed them, rather than the vocal minority of a few hundred people on the Codex who like to smell their own farts and think Beth games are bad because lol edgy.

Not gonna say I agree they're great games, but Codex does hate on them to a more extreme degree than they deserve for the most part (after playing them for 100 hours of course). I think it's because Daggerfall, Morrowind and the original Fallouts they had nothing to do with are all classics, and their newer games are more derpy sandbox explorefag games, and the butthurt over that is real. I feel it myself, Oblivion and Fallout 3 especially were like a wet hot stream of piss on my face at the time. I think Skyrim is a good bit better than those, far from perfect but better, however some can't get past the pain. Fallout 4 getting more derpy again didn't help. Telling us "mainsteam who never played Fallout or Daggerfall like 'em dudes!" doesn't really change anything.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Far Harbor is good.
Skill checks, decently written factions, morally ambiguous characters, sort of reputation system, actual recurring themes instead of crudely lumped fanservice and lolrandom humor. Everything feels cohesive - the island has its own lore, monsters are thematically fitting - instead of supermutants and shit we're going to meet giant hermit crabs, mutant shrimps and other coastal and marine fauna. Devs even came up with half decent reason for raiders to be murderous assholes.

This DLC made me feel optimistic for the future of series, but then F76 happened.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This DLC made me feel optimistic for the future of series, but then F76 happened.

To be fair it was a side project mostly developed by a different team entirely. The actual BGS we know and love (to hate) have been working on Starwhatever the whole time.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Far Harbor is good.
Skill checks, decently written factions, morally ambiguous characters, sort of reputation system, actual recurring themes instead of crudely lumped fanservice and lolrandom humor. Everything feels cohesive - the island has its own lore, monsters are thematically fitting - instead of supermutants and shit we're going to meet giant hermit crabs, mutant shrimps and other coastal and marine fauna. Devs even came up with half decent reason for raiders to be murderous assholes.

Is it actually worth playing? Like for real? I wouldn't mind having some C&C interspersed with DOOM combat.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Far Harbor is good.

Is it actually worth playing? Like for real? I wouldn't mind having some C&C interspersed with DOOM combat.
it is worth playing. Dunno where you read about doom combat though.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Combat feels like shitty DOOM: rather fluid (the one positive), unload a bunch of ammo, run straight into enemies without dying, etc.

Or I'm like the tens of millions of others who have played them and enjoyed them, rather than the vocal minority of a few hundred people on the Codex who like to smell their own farts and think Beth games are bad because lol edgy.

Not gonna say I agree they're great games, but Codex does hate on them to a more extreme degree than they deserve for the most part (after playing them for 100 hours of course). I think it's because Daggerfall, Morrowind and the original Fallouts they had nothing to do with are all classics, and their newer games are more derpy sandbox explorefag games, and the butthurt over that is real. I feel it myself, Oblivion and Fallout 3 especially were like a wet hot stream of piss on my face at the time. I think Skyrim is a good bit better than those, far from perfect but better, however some can't get past the pain. Fallout 4 getting more derpy again didn't help. Telling us "mainsteam who never played Fallout or Daggerfall like 'em dudes!" doesn't really change anything.

Bethesda Games Studio makes some pretty horrendous shit. They make action games, and I'm not saying they're bad because they're action games, because I love action games; but when the driving force behind your game is "go to this place and kill shit" the killing shit part of your game should at least be good.

I think the design of their games can ingratiate hate more than most styles of games, they're mindless time sinks that people can get pretty deep into before asking themselves: Why the fuck am I playing this? Funnily enough it seems like even their audience hit this point with Fallout 76. Bethesda's Games Studio's seemingly steadfast commitment to never improving the flaws of their games doesn't help anything either. It's going to be interesting to see their upcoming stuff, because it sounds like even their most staunch fans are demanding changes now; and the shit that does what they're doing in one way or another has just been compiling over the years, and getting more high profile.

Yosharian

Arcane
The problem with Far Harbour is that it's attached to Fallout 4. Last time I played the game, by the time I got around to FH, I'd already done most of Fallout 4 main quests, and all of Nuka World (bleh), so I was about ready to throw my computer in the bin.

Xeon

Augur
Didn't they say the delay of TES6 was mostly because of TES Online? Fallout 5 probably won't be out for 10 or something years because of 76 even tho it sucked.

Didn't they say the delay of TES6 was mostly because of TES Online? Fallout 5 probably won't be out for 10 or something years because of 76 even tho it sucked.

ESO isn't made by BGS, though Beth Soft probably didn't want TES6 to cannibalize ESO customers.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

Wouldn't it be nice that as a result Bethesda would either have to put another (competent) team on Fallout or have to sell the franchise?

Yeah the last is very unlikely but I hope to live long enough to dance on Bethesda's grave. It will be a tap dance.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Is Far Harbor worth playing?
Far Harbor is the edgy teen version of Point Lookout, which was arguably the best part of Fallout 3. As it turns out Far Harbor is the best part of Fallout 4, as it is one of the few points in the game where Fallout 4 uses its attributes and skills to find solutions other than fighting or speechcraft, somewhat like an rpg after so long. The setting and atmosphere is also much more satisfying than the rest of Fallout 4. There are still instances of idiocy working against the lore, like a soda company power armor, or finding random power armor suits in the middle of the road, untouched after centuries. But if you've bought and played fallout 4, you'll probably enjoy Far Harbor.

Wouldn't it be nice that as a result Bethesda would either have to put another (competent) team on Fallout or have to sell the franchise?

Yeah the last is very unlikely but I hope to live long enough to dance on Bethesda's grave. It will be a tap dance.

Oh, wouldn't that be nice.

Sadly these days Bethesda Games Studios seems so up their own ass i doubt they'll let anyone handle "their" games, even if said series is something they swiped out from under someone else. If they had even half a brain that Rage 2 game would've been some Fallout themed thing, because why the fuck do you need two open world post-apocalyptic FPS series? I'd guess if they just did whatever they were going for with Rage 2 under the Fallout brand it would've had way more eyes on it, probably would have taken a bit of heat off of 76 too.

I'm still kind of surprised that after the new XCOM games Bethesda hasn't gonna anyone to make something like them with the Brotherhood of Steel, or at least something along those tactical combat lines given the series roots. Then again there's a lot they could do with Fallout that they haven't done.

Squid

Arbiter
Fallout 5 probably won't be out for 10 or something years because of 76 even tho it sucked.
What better news could you really ask for? One live service Fallout game to not have to bear bad news of yet another disappointing Fallout game for 10 years? Kinda worth it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda Games Studio makes some pretty horrendous shit. They make action games, and I'm not saying they're bad because they're action games, because I love action games; but when the driving force behind your game is "go to this place and kill shit" the killing shit part of your game should at least be good.

Combat is not at all the "driving force" behind those game's popularity. It's exploration, derpin' around in a big open space, and finding weird shit. Morrowind's combat is notoriously shit and yet it's on the Codex top 10.

Xeon

Augur
Any mod recommendation for FO4? I would like to check out the DLCs since people seem to be praising it. I only played until I killed the kidnapper and seeing the flying ship, afterwards I just gave up and played Frost until I had enough.

So far I have:
- Unofficial Patch.
- Extended Dialogue Interface.
- Sim Settlement with its DLCs or whatever.
- Quieter Settlement.
- CBBE.
- Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR).
- Armorsmith Extended.
- Def_UI.

I kinda want to install Horizon since I played with it before but I am not sure how it will work with Sim Settlement since it has its own thing or something and I would rather use Sim Settlement to let the game handle all that shit and not deal with it.

I am not sure which Weather/lighting mod I should install or ENB maybe, so far I am leaning towards Vivid since it seems to be vanilla and not too crazy changing things. if there are any recommendations for mods that would be great.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I actually enjoyed the Sim Settlements feature of the vanilla game very much but got bored by the beginning of the Nuka Cola World DLC so quit before I fully completed the GOTY edition. That's never happened to me before with any Fallout game I play. Usually find the world so fun & compelling I typically always finish it with a smile (except for Fallout 2, which bored me by the end though I completed it). I should replay FO4 but modded to Hell like I did with F03 & NV (among my most fun gaming experiences EVER) .

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I kinda want to install Horizon since I played with it before but I am not sure how it will work with Sim Settlement since it has its own thing or something and I would rather use Sim Settlement to let the game handle all that shit and not deal with it.

There is a lot of compatibility addons for Horizon, and Sim Settement was definitely among them, the only problem could arise it just for old versions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom