Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Planescape Torment. Never got around to it. When it came out in the late 90s, I was getting more into sci-fi and strategy games. Was burned out on D&D style games by then. Was the same reason I couldn't get into Everquest either.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Planescape Torment. Never got around to it. When it came out in the late 90s, I was getting more into sci-fi and strategy games. Was burned out on D&D style games by then. Was the same reason I couldn't get into Everquest either.

It's a p. good game and, something not many bother to mention: it's very easy to play. There is no fail state and combat encounters don't require any brainpower to muscle through (puns intended). It can actually be very relaxing to play if you approach it with the right mindset. This isn't to say that your brain won't get a workout though; just walking around and talking to people and investigating the world is hugely rewarding and constantly engaging. The game's strengths lie in its unbelievable atmosphere, its great music, it's great dialog and overall game-writing, it's interesting companions and in its exploration.

My only tip is: go for Mage build. Slinging spell is 100x more fun in PS:T than whacking them in melee. This is generally true of most isometric RPGs but it is especially true of PS:T. You don't choose a character class in char-gen, only your Attributes, instead you must figure out for yourself how to acquire magical powers during the game.

Dorateen

Arcane
Havent play Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

What-are-we-waiting-for.gif

hell bovine

Arcane
Does System Shock count? I really wanted to finish that game, but I just couldn't, because I was that terrible at combat. I think I gave up when my character got killed by some deranged space monkeys. :lol:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Dungeon Master.

I have tried to load it up more than once, but after about three minutes I just exit the game and move on. I know this will be blasphemy, but I'd rather play an Eye of the Beholder game. Sue me.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Does System Shock count? I really wanted to finish that game, but I just couldn't, because I was that terrible at combat. I think I gave up when my character got killed by some deranged space monkeys. :lol:
It was System Shock 2! :x

Gog release

Sorry to ruin your joke (if it was joke), but
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gog-turns-down-grimoire-for-publishing.126050
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-oldschool-rpgs-rejected-by-gog.128345/

Insert Title Here
Shame on you for Deux Ex

Yeah, I know. Just never happened for some reason. I've considered checking it out, but not sure if it's one of those games that has aged rather badly and would be hard to get into unless you actually played it back when it was new. Not that it costs much these days...

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think that, as long as you understand accuracy is based on your character skills and it's not a twitch shooter, Deus Ex is probably still pretty playable. Obviously the graphics are old, but it doesn't feel dated otherwise. It's just a really cool game!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The original Deus Ex. Any of the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale or NWN games.

Shame on you for Deux Ex, but NWN really isn't that well-loved. Except for NWN2's Mask of the Betrayer expansion.

I'd say if you haven't played Deus Ex then you shouldn't be allowed to post on the 'Dex. Same with Fallout.

NWN is loved; it's the OC that isn't. I don't think MotB is loved; it's barely played these days. It's more respected than loved.

Viata

Arcane
I'd say if you haven't played Deus Ex then you shouldn't be allowed to post on the 'Dex. Same with Fallout.
That argument should be reserved only to Ultima and Wizardry. Any other game is just your bullshit way of saying "if you didn't play this game x and y that I love, you should not post here".

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That argument should be reserved only to Ultima and Wizardry. Any other game is just your bullshit way of saying "if you didn't play this game x and y that I love, you should not post here".
Not really, Fallout and Deus Ex are more representative of Codex' ideals than Wizardry and especially Ultima. Looking at the 2014 top RPG list, the only Wizardry and Ultima games that made it to the top 10 is 8, and it differs somewhat significantly to its predecessor. And people here would openly admit that the old Ultima games are hard to get into for people who in 2019 have never played it before. Also the fact that, you know, this was a Fallout/Arcanum fanboi forum in its early days.

So yeah, if Lilura said that you shouldn't post here if you haven't played all the IE games, sure, it would be bullshit, but Deus Ex and Fallout is fair enough.

By the way, my first post here IIRC is complaining that Fallout 1 is too easy compared to 2.

Egosphere

Arcane
Shame on you for Deux Ex

Yeah, I know. Just never happened for some reason. I've considered checking it out, but not sure if it's one of those games that has aged rather badly and would be hard to get into unless you actually played it back when it was new. Not that it costs much these days...

It's worth playing just to be amazed by its prescience

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Are Amberstar and Ambermoon considered classics by the Codex?

Never played them. But they really look good. Good Amiga stuff.
Amberstar was developed for the Atari ST, though ported to the Amiga, in 1992. :M Thalion Software should have realized that the Atari ST was a dead platform even before they started on Amberstar, and they switched to the Amiga for Ambermoon but went bankrupt shortly after its release.

Ambermoon is overly clunky in both its combat and its (3D!) dungeon exploration. I'm sure it has its charms, but certainly not a classic.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Stuff I ain't never played:

The Gold Box series
The Magic Candle
The Bard's Tale
M&M 1 and 2
And I'll pretend I never played NWN because I hated it every single time I tried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom