Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wonder how many people here would be able to play UFO 1994 today and enjoy it. I bet most of your would scream it is too slow and similar shit. Even with animation speed up at high it takes a long time to do one turn in that game. And sometimes even longer until aliens also do all their moves.
It is because of people like you that we cannot have nice things anymore.

If people in here are so up in arms about these minor issues, no wonder that casuals outside the Codex all are playing shitty games like Dark Souls, Witcher 3 or Fortnite. Gotta go fast!!! ADHD overdose! It is all about that action.
Even diablo likes are ruined because of such people. Both Diablo 3 and now Path of Exile are not based around Zoom Zoom gameplay.

I love the old UFO games (both Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep). And I remember well, that you could turn the movement/animation speed to very, super fucking fast. Characters blitzed through the battlemaps, unlike the PC in Underrail :)
You could but if you read my post I am talking about how long the whole battles takes, not just one movement animation. YOu still needed to move 12-16 units, sometimes little by little, get interrupted by aliens, fiddle with inventory and UI and many other stuff. Then you waited for aliens to do their turns slowly as well. It could take a while on bigger maps or during Terror missions.
I didn't mind any of that, I enjoyed the slow pace of it all.

But nuXcom removed all that. Now you get one move, you only got 6 characters, even without mods you can turn off all the action cam stuff. You can give move commands to all 6 characters at same time (unlike UFO) and their turns don't get interrupted by seeing aliens (well unless you run into a new group, slowest part of the game was that introduction animation that let enemies get free move to cover). Your attack decisions are only a few buttons with very simple UI and there is no inventory to fiddle with. Even the main designer said they did it all because UFO was too slow. And now newer TB games are also copying nuXcom for the ADHD kiddies.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, but new X-Com simplified the mechanics.

In Underrail the mechanics will stay the same (or even more complicated by additional skills/perks/specializations). What will change is that you will be able to hasten the movement out of combat, so that you don't have to crawl through the same corridor, where you already exterminated the opposition 7 times at a snail's pace. Can't see what's wrong with that.

We're not all 16 and/or unemployed here, you know. I love to dedicate my time to gaming, but I do not like when the game wastes my time with shit like slow, unchangeable movement pace with lots of backtracking.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why would you think I don't understand it?! What you are saying is not interesting or clever or hard to understand at all.
Because you keep writing shit and leaving stupid ratings.
If you want to talk about it, lets talk. I explained more than once that I am against it because it teaches people that it should all be like that. That makes gamers only like certain type of game and that makes it so only certain type is made by devs. You might not agree with it but that is what has been happening for a long time. Underrail was not like that so far. But now with this feature, who knows what Styg will put into the next game or the one after that.
And all you ADHD kiddies will keep asking for more shitty games and nobody else will be making good games anymore.
I don't keep writing shit, I wrote one reply to ask you why you are being a fucking idiot. It doesn't teach people anything. It isn't about ADHD, it is about it being boring to spend so long doing nothing but watching your little sprite run across map after map, just to sell some virtual shit and then all the way back. It is a timesink and there is no need for it. Some us have higher standards than you. I acknowledged your point of view and rejected it because it is idiotic.

And the ratings aren't stupid, I am rating you retarded because that is what you are, and because I don't have access to the Reeeeeeee robot.

ArchAngel

Arcane

In Underrail the mechanics will stay the same (or even more complicated by additional skills/perks/specializations). What will change is that you will be able to hasten the movement out of combat, so that you don't have to crawl through the same corridor, where you already exterminated the opposition 7 times at a snail's pace. Can't see what's wrong with that.

We're not all 16 and/or unemployed here, you know. I love to dedicate my time to gaming, but I do not like when the game wastes my time with shit like slow, unchangeable movement pace with lots of backtracking.
You are playing dominoes, I am playing 3d chess...

I lost the willpower to explain this shit to kiddies. In few years you will learn this shit yourself.. or your won't because you seem to enjoy the ADHD gameplay.

Parabalus

Arcane

You are playing dominoes, I am playing 3d chess...

I lost the willpower to explain this shit to kiddies. In few years you will learn this shit yourself.. or your won't because you seem to enjoy the ADHD gameplay.

Waiting for animations to finish isn't gaming.

Whatever you think of nuXcom, it's a better game with the time bloat removed with mods - that has nothing to do with its gameplay.
Is AoD having a combat animation speed slider a worse game for it?

Jezal_k23

I don't even understand what is going on anymore. Underrail itself has a speed up combat option, isn't that wrong too then? Also games should have lots of slow filler stuff like animations that take forever and/or your character walking at a snail's pace because it teaches people that slowness is good...??? And if the game implements speed up options then it teaches players to have ADHD?????????????????? What in the fuck???????????????????????????

Drowed

Arcane
I think this is one of the cases where we could say to never argue with stupid people, because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. And it's so much experience that I think he's reached the level cap.

It's the classic case of not knowing how to differentiate correlation with causality. New games are 'faster' and also more 'stupid' in general. So anything that's faster is stupid. Here's your cookie.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
In my mind that is a logical consequence of people asking for speed hacks in games like Underrail and others. 1+1+1+.. will end up at 10 eventually. Or 100, or 1000.
Thing is in this case it's utterly optional, we should trust the guys that made UR not to decline
until they make their comeback on NEOKickFunder™ :troll:

We're not all 16 and/or unemployed here, you know. I love to dedicate my time to gaming
So you're like....24? lol

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey guys, this discussion is related to Underrail ans should be kept to it.

Yeah yeah, I'm an oldfag codexer from the early years and should know that it's the codex and anything goes.

I still agree with that. However, I love Underrail and have found myself skimming thru everything because it's not really about Underrail but some pissing match between egos and of all things post ratings.

You kidding me? I want more of Underrail.

Anyway, has anyone played a shotgun build yet in the testing? I mean pure shotgun build.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
they are very weak..
rating_citation.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't even understand what is going on anymore. Underrail itself has a speed up combat option, isn't that wrong too then? Also games should have lots of slow filler stuff like animations that take forever and/or your character walking at a snail's pace because it teaches people that slowness is good...??? And if the game implements speed up options then it teaches players to have ADHD?????????????????? What in the fuck???????????????????????????
I never said anything about combat animations needing to be slow, you are now just pulling stuff out of your ass. It has nothing to do with teaching people that slowness is good.
But as I said, I am done explaining. You will all see the error of your ways when nobody will be making slower tactical games and only fast action ones are left.

Jezal_k23

I guess Underrail's devs decision to add a speed up option will literally impact ALL GAMES. It's the gaming apocalypse!

Efe

Erudite
how does fast movement and animation in a TURN BASED GAME turn it into "fast action"?
please get back on whatever pills you stopped taking

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess Underrail's devs decision to add a speed up option will literally impact ALL GAMES. It's the gaming apocalypse!
Still showing your ignorance with posts like this one. This whole topic and answers have not moved on beyond my first statement: Whiners have won.
I will now really leave it at that.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I never said anything about combat animations needing to be slow, you are now just pulling stuff out of your ass. It has nothing to do with teaching people that slowness is good.
But as I said, I am done explaining. You will all see the error of your ways when nobody will be making slower tactical games and only fast action ones are left.
Dude UR and AoD are gaming proof that good shit survives (and inclines) through general decline.
granted it takes some balls to the walls individuals to make it happen :salute:
_Pi5r5iZ.jpg
index.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Personally I would really limit the fast forward option to friendly (controlled) areas only, because yes getting to your house is pretty boring. I really like going through locations slowly, that's kind of limitation that makes me planning my route. Also this is why I invested in fast moving skill while in stealth. It's not that I'm utterly disappointed, but still I think this implementation is kind of rushed.

Yeah I know it's optional, but the experience with PoE tells me it will be hard to ignore the possibility to speed up the process. Maybe we can reconsider the way it is going to be implemented?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
I think it works out well in practice without any further limitations. In my playthrough I generally slowed the game back to 100% or at most 125% in order to have enough time to plan my movement and react to patrols and ambushes, plus not to waste long term buffs from food.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think it works out well in practice without any further limitations. In my playthrough I generally slowed the game back to 100% or at most 125% in order to have enough time to plan my movement and react to patrols and ambushes, plus not to waste long term buffs from food.
I personally don't care as long as i get the option of using the cheatengine speed hack. Different people different speed preferences. I played most of the game at 3x and 4x speed.

Efe

Erudite
speed modifier is always active and do you have to go through 4-5 clicks in options each time or are you going to addş-in a "fast mode" button/shortcut somewhere that enables it on demand? (like pillars does)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom