Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
If BG3 will try to emulate / "take inspiration" from Dragon Age, even Dragon Age: Origins it will be decline imho.

I agree; it's just a question.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If Larian show actual screenshot how many more pages codex can spam?

Exclusive Baldur's Gate 3 screenshot release:

505936-dragon-age-origins-awakening-playstation-3-screenshot-battling.jpg

I did this first!

I am still waiting to clap hands and go all "whos the top tier cassandra here??"

but Larian doesn't show any gameplay because they're obviously afraid of gamers reaction

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am 99% sure BG3 will be TB. Only reason Larian has not confirmed this is because they know a certain number of BG purists will complain it is not RTwP (like they did with Torment 2) and wants to make some awesome combat gameplay demo to show that even as TB Bg3 combat can be awesome.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am 99% sure BG3 will be TB. Only reason Larian has not confirmed this is because they know a certain number of BG purists will complain it is not RTwP (like they did with Torment 2) and wants to make some awesome combat gameplay demo to show that even as TB Bg3 combat can be awesome.

My problem is not that. Is that they will probably not follow the rules. For him, missing, that worked in tons of games, "obviously not work", spell slots are not intuitive, leveling is too slow(...)

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm enjoying the people attacking Larian for considering changing the rules, while simultaneously praising a bunch of games that changed the rules. You can't have it both ways

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Agreed. Which is why it's a shame that Larian apparently forgot how to develop a fun TB system with D:OS2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm... Lilura rated my post "cuck" when I stated my willingness to read her blog and her opinions about DA:O.

She doesn't like submissive men. Welp. Nobody does.

:updatedmytxt:

Lilura is willing to defend the virtues of DA:O, but won't play Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Scratch an RPG elitist, find a former BioWare fan (who is still attached to them and won't take any game they didn't make seriously) under the surface?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
She doesn't like submissive men. Welp. Nobody does.
I do. Well, it depends on the amount and type of submissiveness.

RE: PF:K vs PoE, I kinda prefer ToME tbh.

It wasn't only combat but that said my first experience with PoE1 combat was literally "what the hell is this?!".
Why?
Initial impression was that they somehow created a combat that was both confusing and streamlined at the same time. Which I thought was impossible.

For holy-grail spiritual succesor of BG after 2 decades it haven't felt like BG for me. Also if I remember right there was no AI initially (I played early version not sure if they added it later on) at all which made trash fights even mundane and annoying than they usually are in such titles.

Maybe people should stop comparing it to the IE games and treat it as its own thing. It is streamlined in the most terrible way, yes, but the confusing parts come from stacking rules and how shit the UI and SFX are, not anything else.

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
All I want is interesting combat encounters. Maybe Larian will provide that, maybe not. Larian's writers are awful but I can't imagine liking the writing in the first two BGs either, so there's nothing to lose out on there. As long as they have difficult combat it'll be good, and if they don't it'll suck

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They've proven they can ruin a game based on the writing alone, so there's a difference between writing so bad and cringe it spoils any enjoyment you can squeeze out and functional technically-nothing-wrong-with-it BG1-style writing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You don't triple the size of the team you used for Divinity:OS 2 and then make a niche game. Been saying that since announcement day. Don't be idiots and have realistic expectations.

Thonius

Arcane
I'm fine with it being like DA:O.

To everyone who is offended by this statement - this is the best possible scenario we can hope for. Pining for a turn-based 5E party-based 2D RPG with strong C&C, character creation and amazing writing to rival the best is parodically optimistic and out of touch.
Yeah but Larian sucks...
The obsession with "muh ruleset" here has no basis in reality, most people playing your game will have never touched a pnp RPG in their life. The idea that somehow properly implementing a ruleset that most people have never encountered will make your sales soar is ridiculous.
The pnp RPG market is tiny -- really, really, tiny. Witcher 3 -- years after release, and counting PC sales only -- brings in about as much revenue as the entire RPG market's US/Canada sales.

data:
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/35150/hobby-games-market-nearly-1-2-billion
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1984-Top-5-RPGs-Compiled-Charts-2008-Present
https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/
Never played PnP, yet I love DnD based games, because alternative is just diablo shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom