Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5

Sjukob

Arcane
Codex peasantry is probably unaware of this glorious alien extermination incline made by japs, where you: kill lots of giant bugs, spiders, UFOs, godzillas, enormously huge robots; everything fucking explodes, destructible environment, level those fucking buildings; 4 different classes, coop, fuckload of missions, trillions of unlockable equipment that includes huge fucking guns and pilotable giant mechs, EXPLOSIONS, E-D-F !

Thread music
Come on now, you know the actual thread music

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I think I played 4.1 and the only playable character was the flying one the others were too slow to move in such huge environments not to mention the loss of vertical movement they should just let us swap mid mission megaman style.

PrettyDeadman

I think I played 4.1 and the only playable character was the flying one the others were too slow to move in such huge environments not to mention the loss of vertical movement they should just let us swap mid mission megaman style.
Big dude can move pretty fast too using boost cancel bug/feature.

insect armageddon was the epitome of ignorance, in a good way. i also played 4 and it was a snoozefest of boredom, in a bad way. i have no idea what to expect.

Sjukob

Arcane
Some website claiming that the game will be available on July 11, link.

asskick.png

ultimanecat

Arcane
I played through most of the game on a borrowed PS4 a while back. Tons of fun if you're a fan of the series with a few nice QOL features (you pick up weapons and armor at a reduced rate for classes you're not playing as, picking up a weapon that you've already collected can increase its stats) but if you didn't like 4/4.1 than I doubt it'd change your mind.

Sjukob

Arcane
Liking the game so far, I enjoyed 4.1 (though I've only seen like half of it) but 5 seems more intense and interesting, I think missions are much better in this version, don't ask me about the port quality though, my PC is literally a toaster.

I've completed 20 missions on hard so far, mostly playing ranger, and it's too early to comment on class balance and gameplay, but I can't get rid of the feeling that wing diver is a trash class. Design of her arsenal is really retarded: mid range laser shotgun that losses a huge portion of it's damage when 25% of it's clip gets depleted and drains massive amount of energy (like 70% of full bar) if you try to recharge it, apply this to the ENTIRE WEAPON CLASS and not just specific weapon... What kind of retard though it was ok to put this shit in the game ? Her sniper rifles do pathetic damage but drain quite a lot of energy, plasma launchers damage is lacklaster (save for a very few) and blast radius is small, pulse weapons - unimpressive damage and insane energy cost, special equipment - very situational stuff with extremely long cooldown that hampers your energy regen. Also I really hate this new "charge weapon to shoot it" mechanic, the standart clip design in 4.1 was much more comfortable to me. I've read some forums and watched some videos and people say that it doesn't really get better and a lot of her stuff is plain unusable, there is some cool stuff for her of course, but the amount of trash items is toaster frightening. She wasn't like this in 4.1, I'm very dissapointed with the class in this version.

But other than wing diver's design I feel like the game is step up in every other direction compared to 4.1: the graphics, the AI, the three other classes, the gore, missions etc. But I've only seen a very small portion of the game, so it's not really a time to draw conclusions.

The battle chant is way worse now unfortunately

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
PC port doesn't have ultrawide support and seems to be locked at 60FPS which is a damn shame. Apparently game logic is tied to the frame rate, unfortunately typical for a lot of Japanese games. EDF4.1 was a massive success on PC and the port of 5 deserved more attention than it seemingly got. I'm just hoping Iron Rain was a successful tech test for them because if they move to Unreal for the sequels, they won't have an excuse if EDF6's port is shitty.

GreyViper

Prophet
Still, need to finish 4.1 , but hey this gives us the guardsmen life fix we all need. Death to filthy xenos.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I've completed 20 missions on hard so far, mostly playing ranger, and it's too early to comment on class balance and gameplay, but I can't get rid of the feeling that wing diver is a trash class. Design of her arsenal is really retarded: mid range laser shotgun that losses a huge portion of it's damage when 25% of it's clip gets depleted and drains massive amount of energy (like 70% of full bar) if you try to recharge it, apply this to the ENTIRE WEAPON CLASS and not just specific weapon... What kind of retard though it was ok to put this shit in the game ? Her sniper rifles do pathetic damage but drain quite a lot of energy, plasma launchers damage is lacklaster (save for a very few) and blast radius is small, pulse weapons - unimpressive damage and insane energy cost, special equipment - very situational stuff with extremely long cooldown that hampers your energy regen. Also I really hate this new "charge weapon to shoot it" mechanic, the standart clip design in 4.1 was much more comfortable to me. I've read some forums and watched some videos and people say that it doesn't really get better and a lot of her stuff is plain unusable, there is some cool stuff for her of course, but the amount of trash items is toaster frightening. She wasn't like this in 4.1, I'm very dissapointed with the class in this version.

I'm pretty sure they nerfed her hard since she could be pretty OP in 2025/4.1. Most of her weapons are incredibly situational or require so much energy that she has to sacrifice mobility in order to do much of anything, which is kind of against the whole purpose of the class.

That said, some of the plasma launchers are pretty useful and not a huge strain on her energy, and she has a weapon called something like "Stardust Cannon" which is basically a crazy energy shotgun with minimal energy requirements that can carry her well into Hardest difficulty on its own.

I'm hoping with this release that Iron Rain is not far behind on PC - I haven't got to play it yet but it looks like the more confined gameplay of Insect Armageddon actually done right.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Wing Diver still has some really great weapons. Rapier is useful early on against the insect swarms. The charged version (forgot the name) is amazing at shredding things on max charge and has carried me quite far. I keep it in my loadout all the time. Has way more range than rapier, too (increases with charge).
With either of these weapons she can melt groups even when completely surrounded in a way that the ranger would really struggle with. Nice against red ants etc.
Really fun to see a mass of creepy crawlies coming towards you through a cave or even in an open field... Charge fully, release and it's gibs everywhere. Also no damage falloff or anything. Crazy high burst damage up close with all the beams hitting a big enemy. Not too much charge required.
Some of her plasma cannons can get crazy projectile speed and shoot basically straight for 2km+ for very little energy. Nice if you're low and out in the open with some colonists trying to snipe you.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the charging mechanic and all the nerf crap... It's made a lot of her weapons kind of pointless. It's now the assault marine class imo. Just get close and melt things, then piss off.
Early on you won't have any good power cores (I still don't have any that don't suck, tbh)... That's not helping things.

But she's a difficult class to balance because of her mobility. It can break much of the game pretty easily. You can always get close and melt shit.

The upgrade system is interesting... And by interesting, I mean: Air Raider "bulge laser" weapon has 80m targetting range. Get one upgrade and it's 500+ lol.
Make sure you pay attention to your upgrade notifications/details. They can really change a weapon from "why would I use this ever/over my current gun?" to "the new meta". Well, not that laser thing, but you get the idea.
The big energy cost of some weapons also gets reduced at times. Too bad power core regular charging speed appears to be a fixed value for each, and they're fucking slow.

Air raider really suffers from not having a full 90's FPS protagonist inventory. He can only hold 3 weapons and 1 vehicle, which seriously sucks for him in offline play.
Wing Diver and Ranger also suffer from it imo. Only being able to bring 2 guns and one accessory means you pick whatever works best and nothing else ever gets used outside of some specific missions.
I'd like to snipe with the ranger, but without a big rocket launcher to blow up buildings with, I ended up stuck in a mission where colonist artillery was on the rooftops... Couldn't kill them and the allied Wing Divers were sadly already dead.

Fencer is still weird, and horrible early on without boost equipment and accessories to reduce recoil on big guns (if you prefer guns to melee... I do). Not a fan of the aiming slowdown when you just have his guns equipped or you're firing. He ain't so great that he needs those restrictions imo. Maybe later on?
I wanted to play the badass exo soldier but bleh. Vehicles have some of the same problems.

Having to pick up weapons/armor items is horrible for offline play. I wish you'd just get everything that drops in a mission automatically at the end or something. Slow classes have it the worst, but at the end of the day, going around picking shit up distracts from the missions themselves.
And of course missions end automatically once you win, so if you want the gear, better kite that last enemy.

Pleasantly surprised that the difficulty ramps up after idk, 30 missions or so? It was really easy before, at least with the Wing Diver. Still not really hard, but it's something.

Framerate was a perfect 60 until I hit the big walking alien base... Fighting under that at times had my framerate go down to 30 (only sometimes) and that does seem to mess with the mouse aiming etc.
The game looks mostly fine to me (but can you turn off the HDR crap? Some explosions make the entire screen go dark, what the fuck), but damn... I'm dreading what future big battles will do to my FPS. Hope that was just a fluke...

Mostly pretty cool game so far. I only ever played Insect Armageddon before I think, not 4.1
Bought 4.1 just now as well to make up for that.

This and Ritual of the Night have been my favs this year... Past 3 in the morning and what am I doing getting ready to play EDF again hahaha

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
PC port doesn't have ultrawide support and seems to be locked at 60FPS which is a damn shame. Apparently game logic is tied to the frame rate, unfortunately typical for a lot of Japanese games. EDF4.1 was a massive success on PC and the port of 5 deserved more attention than it seemingly got. I'm just hoping Iron Rain was a successful tech test for them because if they move to Unreal for the sequels, they won't have an excuse if EDF6's port is shitty.

Didn't Iron Rain have a lot of FPS issues in spite of there being very few enemies on screen? I didn't play it myself, but those are the common complaints that I'm hearing about it.

ADL

Prophet

Didn't Iron Rain have a lot of FPS issues in spite of there being very few enemies on screen? I didn't play it myself, but those are the common complaints that I'm hearing about it.
I have no idea. I heard EDF5 dips below sub-15FPS on the consoles it released on. Just keep in mind that by the time EDF6 releases, the next gen consoles will be a thing and the gap between Zen 2 and Bulldozer is huge.

Sjukob

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they nerfed her hard since she could be pretty OP in 2025/4.1.
Wing Diver
I think it's better to have an OP but fun to play class, rather than making players think "Why does it feel so awkward to play this ?".

Air raider really suffers from not having a full 90's FPS protagonist inventory. He can only hold 3 weapons and 1 vehicle, which seriously sucks for him in offline play.
I'm currently very happy with air raider, if you're good at aiming air strikes and controlling vehicles you can spam them non stop, and they are strong. I've had the most fun with mission 20, where you can call for bombers and immediately recharge them, because density of monsters is high and they give plenty of points when killed; the map is also vast and open, which is great for vehicles (grape kiting for the win).

Wing Diver and Ranger also suffer from it imo. Only being able to bring 2 guns and one accessory means you pick whatever works best and nothing else ever gets used outside of some specific missions.
Mostly pretty cool game so far. I only ever played Insect Armageddon before I think, not 4.1
That explains why you don't find air raider and ranger that appealing. Air raider has received some major buffs in EDF 5, he wasn't as good in 4.1. Ranger is also significantly stronger now due to various factors (reduced enemy damage, shotgun penetration, being able to hide behind dead bodies, sprint, vehicles), he's very strong and versatile now, his close range combat is very strong, which wasn't really the case in 4.1. As for loadout, it has always been the case with EDF - bring what works best for this particular mission, especially if you're playing air raider solo.

Fencer is still weird, and horrible early on without boost equipment and accessories to reduce recoil on big guns (if you prefer guns to melee... I do). Not a fan of the aiming slowdown when you just have his guns equipped or you're firing. He ain't so great that he needs those restrictions imo. Maybe later on?
Yeah, I find that most of his early guns are pretty bad (flamethrower recoil is so strong, that it forces your aim straight into the sky), so I'm using blast spear for now. 550 damage, 650 for the second hit, big range, fast and you can unlock it very early.

Having to pick up weapons/armor items is horrible
It's really stupid, I agree. No idea why does it even exist.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's fun to kill thousands of giant insects, pilot mechas, be a walking tank in a powerframe and simply destroy lots of shit. It's a fun and challenging shooter, that's all there is to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom