Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadenuat

Arcane
You don't have to rely on crits. Across 100 shots against 6B2, the crossbow deals around the same damage per bolt as the SVD does per AP round. With gun jesus it does more. It's not bad at all.
with SVD you can kill 2 ppl from afar from stealth no problem just with 10 dex however. you have no luxury like this with a crossbow. and its armor pen on other bullets is like 60.

It is equally valid to assume that with that much hazard around and after such a long time that most stuff will be degraded
Tis all great logic but developers actually put dozen of notes in these bunkers with passwords and quest solutions and lore.

have fun collecting all the cards :shittydog:

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
You don't have to rely on crits. Across 100 shots against 6B2, the crossbow deals around the same damage per bolt as the SVD does per AP round. With gun jesus it does more. It's not bad at all.
with SVD you can kill 2 ppl from afar from stealth no problem just with 10 dex however. you have no luxury like this with a crossbow. and it's armor pen on other bullets is like 60.

It is equally valid to assume that with that much hazard around and after such a long time that most stuff will be degraded
Tis all great logic but developers actually put dozen of notes in these bunkers with passwords and quest solutions and lore.

have fun collecting all the cards :shittydog:

We will see. From my experience most people blow such issues out of proportion, see "slow movement" in Underrail which to this day has never bothered me in over 800 hours playtime.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean ur argument is that shit gets degraded, but every bunker has skeletons with paper diaries with lore in it.

So that kinda goes against 2 things you said: that there are no important items; and that there should not be any.

And yeah backtracking caves with respawning pigrats in Underrail is not the most fun part of it.

Sykar

Arcane
I mean ur argument is that shit gets degraded, but every bunker has skeletons with paper diaries with lore in it.

So that kinda goes against 2 things you said: that there are no important items; and that there should not be any.

And yeah backtracking caves with respawning pigrats in Underrail is not the most fun part of it.

It goes both ways either way you look at it. You could, of course, just acknowledge that Atomboy wanted to give the player some background for the facility you are scouring through even if it leads to some inconsistencies.
Oh and there are no pigrats in Underrail.

Shadenuat

Arcane
there are some rats u know what I mean

You could, of course, just acknowledge that @Atomboy wanted to give the player some background for the facility
Yes.

Which leads player to open every of 50 containers.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I finished the game.

I reached level 22. Did not solve several sidequests, but I doubt it would give me one more level. Managed to get 8 perks (two full trees).

The ending was interesting, and the final plot twist surprised me (although come to think of it, it was quite similar to the final revelation of ELEX). Nevertheless I did not have a true moral dilemma, the choice what to do was easy.

The last combat was challenging, but far easier than my first confrontation with the soldiers in blue uniforms, back in the Pass of Woes. There I lost a dog. Here, Alexander fell but on my first try my heroine was the lone survivor.

You made a very cool game, Atomboy & co. It gave me 70 hours of fun and will provide more on replays.

And obviously I am eagerly waiting for Trudograd!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If I would point to something that could get some additional work it would be the economy. Both financial and the skillpoint one.

I finished the game with 100 000+ rubles and the car trunk filled by half a ton of high quality, expensive equipment that no trader was able to buy and my team simply could not carry anymore. Food was plentiful, same with medical equipment - I amassed enough medicits, stims, anti-rads, anti-poisons, painkillers and other stuff to start not one hospital, but a whole network of them.

Actually, I never needed crafting, game was so generous with everything I needed there was simply no point.

Same with skillpoints: I was able to max out everything I really wanted, simply wanted, kind of wanted and did not really care but I guess ok wanted. I know I played a character with 10 Int and all the brainiac percs but still... I never had to make any difficult choices concerning the skillpoints (unlike perks, but they have a minor role - I finished the game wielding Vintorez and throwing grenades left and right and despite the fact I had no perks in automatic rifles or throwing, I had no serious problems in the final confrontations). My heroine was proficient in pistols/smgs, automatic rifles, grenades, speechcraft, lockpick, technology... a true Mary Sue of the Soviet post nuclear wasteland.

I would really like more tight resource management implemented.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Sykar

Arcane
If I would point to something that could get some additional work it would be the economy. Both financial and the skillpoint one.

I finished the game with 100 000+ rubles and the car trunk filled by half a ton of high quality, expensive equipment that no trader was able to buy and my team simply could not carry anymore. Food was plentiful, same with medical equipment - I amassed enough medicits, stims, anti-rads, anti-poisons, painkillers and other stuff to start not one hospital, but a whole network of them.

Actually, I never needed crafting, game was so generous with everything I needed there was simply no point.

Same with skillpoints: I was able to max out everything I really wanted, simply wanted, kind of wanted and did not really care but I guess ok wanted. I know I played a character with 10 Int and all the brainiac percs but still... I never had to make any difficult choices concerning the skillpoints (unlike perks, but they have a minor role - I finished the game wielding Vintorez and throwing grenades left and right and despite the fact I had no perks in automatic rifles or throwing, I had no serious problems in the final confrontations). My heroine was proficient in pistols/smgs, automatic rifles, grenades, speechcraft, lockpick, technology... a true Mary Sue of the Soviet post nuclear wasteland.

I would really like more tight resource management implemented.

You should view crafting as an alternative, not so much a requirement. From what I read you can craft endgame viable items with it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, but the game is generous with endgame equipment either. I guess the bandits are either level scaled or I simply got lucky in the Dead City but I got dozens of heavy machine guns and medical equipment from them.

I found like 8-10 best anti bullet vests, enough best helmets, everyone was running with 2-3 good guns, for every type of ammo I had (which was also plentiful, although Fidel used tons of it with his heavy machine guns).

Besides, crafted weapons jam if you don't have a certain perk. Old soviet weapons you find never jam, despite the fact they were not conserved for like 20 years.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, but the game is generous with endgame equipment either. I guess the bandits are either level scaled or I simply got lucky in the Dead City but I got dozens of heavy machine guns and medical equipment from them.

I found like 8-10 best anti bullet vests, enough best helmets, everyone was running with 2-3 good guns, for every type of ammo I had (which was also plentiful, although Fidel used tons of it with his heavy machine guns).

Besides, crafted weapons jam if you don't have a certain perk. Old soviet weapons you find never jam, despite the fact they were not conserved for like 20 years.

Its cause AK-47 won't jam on you even when put onto the ground for twenty years it will fire every time.

Game is not realistic though if those M-16s won't jam as crazy after twenty years on some dusty bunker shelf, but if devs did this all those Kwans would be very:butthurt: Comrade.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I finished the game with 100 000+ rubles and the car trunk filled by half a ton of high quality, expensive equipment that no trader was able to buy
It's the car. Car is infinite storage space traveling with you. You become a trade caravan yourself. So are companions but not as much. Same shit happens in Fallout 2 and even in Nevada.
It eventually happens in most RPGs but obviously easier in those which allow infinite inventory in any way.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
From what I found car fuel was the only finite resource which I really had to save. For a long time I kept the car parked in Krasno and walked everywhere on foot - but everytime I came back I sure used the trunk a lot.

flushfire

Augur
IMO skill point gain is alright, the problem is a combination of lack of use cases, too many items giving bonuses and balance.

• Speechcraft replaces Survival in travel and Barter in quests rewards. Barter is already nearly pointless without that, so is Survival.
• Martial's advantage over Melee is so big it renders Melee useless, and because Dex increases % to hit (it really shouldn't) there's no point in leveling Martial too unless playing close combat-oriented, since everyone starts with high Dex anyway.
• Lockpick is practically maxed at 40 points.
• Pickpocket is understandably difficult to balance. Right now even with 199 points there's still too much RNG involved
• Technology is used like twice in the entire game lol
• Tinkering is pointless to level because recipes have no set/hard requirement, and the failure chance even after passing the soft requirement is too high. Player is practically encouraged to savescum
• Gambling might as well not exist
• First Aid is meh

So that leaves either rifles or autos to 120-199, Speechcraft to 115 or so, and Stealth to 80 + leftover points. Even with just 7 Int that's achievable by level 12. Survival does change things up a bit though, so that's an option at least.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
I made it to the end with the dog. Took the line that has -1 AP to attacks at the end (It gives him an extra attack). It's hard to keep him alive due to his weak armor; for random attacks I set him to stick nearby me and attack weak enemies so he wouldn't rush in, for other maps I told all my companions to wait for my signal so they would wait at the start of the map far away from combat.

flushfire

Augur
There's actually a better set of dog armor that's about on par with chitin, but it's available very late (unless rushed).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I tried to play ATOM, it was my shortest playthrough for a cRPG.

I'm not asking for much, really, just an optimized engine and not animation everywhere bullshit, like every fucking bush is animated ... Why ?

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's actually a better set of dog armor that's about on par with chitin, but it's available very late (unless rushed).
On my first playthrough I did not find any armor on sale at all. Probably should have bothered with collecting chitin.

I once seen a single armored collar in KZN on another run.

They need to add some doge armor into crafting system.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
I wish the dog had a better attack, like instead of 2 standard attacks, give him 4 that do less damage but have a high chance of knocking the enemy down. The problem I had with the dog was that he would usually fail to disable or kill the enemy he was targeting, and then that enemy would counterattack and just wreck him.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, it's difficult to save the dog. I usually sent him ahead to receive several bullets and then ordered him to retreat to safety. Still, did not manage to save him in the end.

Dog body armors are often sold in Krasno and travelling caravans. I think I only saw a dog helmet once in some random caravan though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom