Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #62: Version 1.1.0.5 Beta

Jestai

Augur
Patron
I think the speed up feature was mandatory for players who have already finished a playthrough.

I wasn't going to slog from cavern to cavern again, activating sprint once in a while, until I would reach the Expeditions content. Now I'm looking forward to it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For example if you are overloaded you are more likely to explore more since the penalty for slow walking is now lessened
unknown.png
a6aOfWu.png
That is cool, but I bet people are going to whine about that next and get that in some future patch as well. Or they are going to claim this change is useless and they are using speed hack again.

thesecret1

Arcane
That is cool, but I bet people are going to whine about that next and get that in some future patch as well. Or they are going to claim this change is useless and they are using speed hack again.
So you have no argument and are trying to save face after getting blown out.

duchU

Educated
Is there a way to invert mouse scrolling X/Y axis with MRB button scrolling? Haven't played for +2 years and it's confusing for me the way it works XD

Jezal_k23

So you have no argument and are trying to save face after getting blown out.

It gets rid of the filler moments where you're just slowly getting from point A to point B without compromising game mechanics like encumbrance, so I'd say it's actually an excellent solution to the problem. That dude's posts are white noise at best at this point, or at worst you better watch out cause your IQ might drop just from glancing at them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
For example if you are overloaded you are more likely to explore more since the penalty for slow walking is now lessened
unknown.png
a6aOfWu.png

Painfully slow moving while encumbered is pretty stupid and annoying. Like all instances of punishing the player or enforcing mechanics with annoying gameplay.
It should affect your speed and abilities during combat and that's it. Outside of combat, you can deal with it in other ways that don't involve making the game unplayable. Not being able to pickup more items for example.

But here's what I bet. I bet autists who think not using fast travel in Bethesda's turds is immersive and hardcore would whine that it's not immersive and hardcore if their character doesn't move like a snail once they suddenly carry 1 kg over the limit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
unknown.png
a6aOfWu.png

Painfully slow moving while encumbered is pretty stupid and annoying. Like all instances of punishing the player or enforcing mechanics with annoying gameplay.
It should affect your speed and abilities during combat and that's it. Outside of combat, you can deal with it in other ways that don't involve making the game unplayable. Not being able to pickup more items for example.

But here's what I bet. I bet autists who think not using fast travel in Bethesda's turds is immersive and hardcore would whine that it's not immersive and hardcore if their character doesn't move like a snail once they suddenly carry 1 kg over the limit.
To other retards in this topic, this post just proved what I was talking about... and if Codex is already so full of people like FeeltheRads, I can only imagine how bad it is out there.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What does it prove, moron retard?

I didn't whine or ask for a change. I just said it's annoying and there could be better ways to deal with it than essentially making the game unplayable when you're encumbered.

If anything, your post proves what I said: Autists who love the game enforcing mechanics with annoying gameplay. Reminds me of that part in one of New Vegas' DLC where you get drugged and the screen gets blurry and shaky making it a pain to play. I bet they were slapping themselves of the back for that just as much as the autists were fapping on how immersive it is. Now I'm curious if the drugs you find normally in the game have similar effects (haven't used them), then I'd have to congratulate Obsidian for the new heights in retardation they reached.

Of course, they also had the encumbrance thing, which made the already impossibly slow walking speed not only playable but straight out suicide inducing. What great design.

To be fair, in a first person real time game it would probably be more difficult to solve in other ways, unlike in a turn-based game, and you couldn't expect Obsidian to solve anything half as complicated.
But even just adjusting the overall speed would have helped. Which using a console command can do. But then... YOU CAN EXPLORE MORE WHILE ENCUMBERED MY IMMERSHUN IS BROKEN!!1
Here's what can happen if you explore while encumbered, cretin: you can get attacked and the encumbrance can get you killed. So you still have to consider if you want to risk it or not, without moving like a fucking snail ALL THE TIME.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Just saying you cannot carry more stuff as was your example is not one of those better ways, it just removes options from people that do actually have patience and don't suffer from ADHD.
And it only working during combat is also not one of those ways, the whole point of that mechanic is to punish the player for certain decisions, just like how you are punished during combat for failing to do right actions or have proper equipment (by dying). You want to be extra rich from this expedition into the unknown and not need to go again and brave random encounters and getting lost? Well you then move slow. So make a decision what you would rather do.

What I can agree is that it does not need to make you much slower or that it needs varying degree of slowdown based on how encumbered you are.

Your post just keeps proving that you are the ADHD generation and lack real life skills like patience. This is why people invented phone games where you can play fast and without waiting. Go enjoy your type of games.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your post just keeps proving that you are the ADHD generation and lack real life skills like patience. This is why people invented phone games where you can play fast and without waiting. Go enjoy your type of games.

So much autism.

It's entirely optional. Styg is letting you spend 20 minutes watching your character cross a single screen if that's what you want.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
the whole point of that mechanic is to punish the player for certain decisions

Just what I said. I have no problem with the punishing part, I have a problem with how it's done. Slow movement is one of the most annoying things possible.

Sure thing, bro. Waiting like a drooling retard for your character to move is now a virtue. :lol:
it just removes options from people that do actually have patience

Oh yeah, I have the patience to suffer through it and pick up even more items. Man, isn't this great design that I can just brute force through it!

ArchAngel

Arcane

So much autism.

It's entirely optional. Styg is letting you spend 20 minutes watching your character cross a single screen if that's what you want.
I already talked about this. Go read previous posts.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh yeah, just to be clear, I think the punishing should be done to the character not to the player. Which is what having less action points in combat does.

Moving slow is only punishing the player and an autist can just brute force through it.

Finally. Last I played, I initiated combat with combat speed at max whenever I needed to quickly go through maps. Subsequent Foundry visits and hauling loot across 5+ maps were particularly annoying.

I'd add a "drop bag" option: you can drop your entire unequipped inventory. No bag, no inventory, or maybe a really small and fixed one, like 6 items. Combat starts and unless you drop your bag first thing, you incur several penalties.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally. Last I played, I initiated combat with combat speed at max whenever I needed to quickly go through maps. Subsequent Foundry visits and hauling loot across 5+ maps were particularly annoying.

I'd add a "drop bag" option: you can drop your entire unequipped inventory. No bag, no inventory, or maybe a really small and fixed one, like 6 items. Combat starts and unless you drop your bag first thing, you incur several penalties.

I've seen a similar feature in quite a lot of STALKER mods, you can drop your backpack in combat with a quick release system.

Useful if you need full mobility for a short period of time.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
All of this looks great. While I'm sure to never really use the speed up function, I still love all the other experimental changes, even the little icon updates, etc.

Stygian Software and their dedication to this game is fucking insane.

I can't wait for the next game they come out with. This and Iron Tower Studios are just fantastic.

youhomofo

Augur
IIT: fAsT waLk RuiNZ teH gAem bEcuZ mUh aUtisM!!!1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom