Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Major Seven

Educated
Patron
Did nightmare/adventurer and ended up dead for real in an ambush on the open world map that I chose to go toward. Reasonably fun. Boring loot.

I would recommend playing on Normal until you're familiar with the mechanics and the progression. The loot gets better after a few levels!

I'm not at all tempted to pay any money toward getting any of the expansions.

If you want more of the same (which is quite superb for me), the expansions are worth the price. I recently play a Drem Writhing One (mace and tentacles!) and have a pretty good time with it.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

c3xISyV.jpg

Probably shouldn't mess with those evil trees anymore.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I fired up ToME again yesterday since I wanted something different to play, but I had forgotten how disgusting the UI aesthetic is. It makes me vomit. Is there a mod that replaces it?

Covenant

Savant
So in my latest game I reached the end of Charred Scar with nearly 300 turns to spare, zooming along with my movement infusion, thinking I was hot shit. Well apparently I was so goddamn fast that the sorcerors forgot they were supposed to teleport away. Now they're just hanging around, beating me up with their invulnerable tags on, while the timer slowly ticks away. :argh:

I fired up ToME again yesterday since I wanted something different to play, but I had forgotten how disgusting the UI aesthetic is. It makes me vomit. Is there a mod that replaces it?

Or you can just go back to the classic UI in the settings. HUD style classic, icons status effects and icons hotkey toolbar both disabled, and health bar position - sides. That gets it looking pretty decent. No idea why they changed it to look like a goddamn mobile game about five years ago, but meh. At least it's fixable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Classic UI is so much better, I have no idea why I didn't know of its existence before now. The default one does indeed look like a mobile game and it's atrocious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This game continues to be great, it deserves more Codex love. Dying painful deaths in timeless dimensions never gets old. Not that I have that much experience with it, it might turn out awful at end-game, but I'm hopeful.

EDIT: What I'd change in the early game is Into the Darkness quest, make it require only 2 completed dungeons, not all 4. The sandworm dungeon is cute, but I foresee it becoming tedious after a while. How the xp curve would work when you change the quest like that is dubious though.

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
This game continues to be great, it deserves more Codex love. Dying painful deaths in timeless dimensions never gets old. Not that I have that much experience with it, it might turn out awful at end-game, but I'm hopeful.

EDIT: What I'd change in the early game is Into the Darkness quest, make it require only 2 completed dungeons, not all 4. The sandworm dungeon is cute, but I foresee it becoming tedious after a while. How the xp curve would work when you change the quest like that is dubious though.

Would it make any difference at all? You don't have to finish that quest, and you don't get any reward from doing so beyond the individual dungeon spoils. Just go straight to Dreadfell if you like.

Lost my last character when I carelessly Windbladed in the middle of a bunch of orcs and dragons in one of the prides while I had Empathy Hex or whatever it's called on me. While wielding Legacy of the Naloren. Yeah, 20% reflected damage wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't doing 6k to each mob I hit... took me straight from max HP (over 2k) to death.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I totally forgot about that lvl bajillion dragon in the orc Armory and went into the vault. I managed to escape, but now the dragons are sitting at the entrance of the room that holds the quest item. Is this run doomed? Can I continue without going back west? Can I dig myself into the back of the room and swipe the item without killing the boss?

Anyway, the game uses the white wall texture for the dungeon walls too much.

Bara

Arcane
Lota news & Lota stuff

What's next for Tales of Maj'Eyal! A lot, and then some!
Submitted by darkgod on Mon, 2019-04-22 11:21
Hello my minions!

Recently I was surprised to find some people wondering if Tales of Maj'Eyal was dead (as in not developed anymore). I was like "WTF??" because I knew it was not, quite the opposite in fact, but then I pondered some more and realized that I'm utterly bad at regularly communicating that fact! So let's try to improve on that with a Grand List Of What Is To Come (Possibly).

As usual I never give dates unless I'm sure. So always take this kind of things with a grain of salt, they may come in two days or two years :)

Release of patch 1.6 with huge changes

1.6 is the next free big (huge) patch for Tales of Maj'Eyal. I have already delayed it far too much as such it has grown into such a monster patch that I likely won't be able to list everything going in without forgetting many others. Still, here are a few of them:

• Deep rework of early game balance, main goal being to reduce startup tediousness. This includes changes to difficulty, scaling, shops, drowning, items, ...
  • A ton of cosmetic options for all playable races (including the expansion ones). From many shades of skin colors, to haircuts, beards, tattoos, ...
  • Hugely improved NPC AI, smarter, better pathing, and so on. For MOAR GLORIOUS DEATHS!
  • Update of Doomed, Cursed, Wyrmics, Antimagic, Shadowblades, Prodigies, Corruptors, Reavers
  • Update to many randart powers and ego powers
  • A complete revision of runes, inscriptions and charms
  • Fixed bosses can now levelup in specific classes to keep the challenge up at higher levels/high difficulties
  • Revision of many debuffs
  • Melee weapon scaling revision to reign in on late game ultra high damage stupidity and buff early game low damage stupidity
  • A ton of misc changes, updates, revisions, ...
  • And the usual slew of bugfixes (and NEW bugs :) )
Embers of Rage free update with a new class: Annihilator

annihilator.gif

So you thought that when an expansion is released it's the end of its life? THINK AGAIN! After 1.6, Embers of Rage will get an update with a whole new class for you to slaughter poor creatures with: The Annihilator! As its name suggests this is a class for peace-loving orcs!

Annihilators use steamguns and new heavy weapons (flamethrower, shockstaff and boltgun) to destroy their foes all while deploying automated steam turrets and even riding around in a mecharachnid suit!
A force to be reckoned with for sure!

Note to be clear: this is NOT the very next update to Embers of Rage, that one will be released at the same time as patch 1.6 along with an update to all expansions, just to update their systems for 1.6. Annihilators will come a little afterwards.

DarkGod turns evil: Microtransactions, but the good kind!

giphy.gif

Don't go screaming bloody murder just yet please ;) So let's say it upfront: no pay2win to be seen in there!

Now that this is said let's get into more fun details. So if there is no pay2win, what will there be?
Many things! Mostly fun and/or cosmetic stuff as could be expected:

• Additional Online Item's Vault space. Any purchase of the game, expansions, donations, ... already provides vault space, but this is for even MOAR!
  • Various cosmetic themed packs. These will include shimmer appearances for most items, plus sometimes/usually additional cosmetic options for playable races. "But DarkGod, I want to have racial cosmetic options without giving you more money!" Well, fear not for 1.6 does bring in a ton of those for free anyway. The more, the merrier!
  • Community events! Now for something a little different. In Tales of Maj'Eyal community events are temporary stuff that are sent by the server to any currently playing character. The server randomly sends two of those, called the Bearscape and the Lost Land of Poosh, to players automatically. There are many more, like seasonal ones, or ones only I can push when I feel like it. Now players will be able to acquire the ability to trigger either the Bearscape or Poosh themselves, in addition to the random server pushes that are not changing. But wait there is more! They are still community events, so whenever somebody buys and triggers one, all players currently online will benefit!
  • I don't like pay2win. I really really don't. So instead of doing pay2win, I've decided to add a pay2die system instead! If you think your character is too strong, that nothing can kill you as you stride effortlessly through the toughest of foes, just buy this option and get a few level 500 god-level horrors randbosses summoned on you! Death is guaranteed! You can even boast online by showing off what horrible horrible creatures are about to kill you!
As for why I'm adding this now; well this is less fun but I prefer to be honest as for why I'm doing it so...
In last October Steam had a glitch in their algorithm, which effect lasted for months and for many can still be felt today. Basically the algorithm suggesting games had gone bonkers and unless your game was an AAA or super indie it sank to the bottomless depths of hell. Many indie devs, including me, had their revenue cut by like 50+% (sometimes much more).
Valve told us this was not intentional and I truly believe them; they've always been very nice people when I needed them so I have no reason to doubt their word. But still, it made me realize that I am so dependent on Steam. This kind of made me enter panic mode, I was mentally unwell for some time I must admit. Maybe I'm too fearful, a scared little boy or whatever but still that's how I feel/felt.
So I've pondered about additional revenue streams and I remembered about some players that kept asking to be able to buy more vault space and cosmetics. So finally after many years I caved in and the rest is (future) history!

And to be perfectly clear: this is just a way for people who want to support the game to do so while getting a few cosmetic/fun stuff out of it. The game itself is free/cheap and will keep on being so because making my game accessible to more people is something I truly believe in. Also I'm an evil god of darkness, thus I want to reach as many minions as possible; you know to eat their souls and stuff... :)

Next expansion announcement: The Lost Land

And last but certainly not least... A new expansion! And not a small one at that. For a long time now I've only announced expansions when they were very nearly finished. This time I'm trying another way and instead I'm teasing it early on. As you can see on the teaser, no ingame art exists yet but many sketches. The lore, zones, foes, stories, ... are all roughly defined and being implemented. The new races and classes are already half-way done. Still it'll be a long way until release, which will obviously happen in exactly 1DGTU!

"But DarkGod, you didn't tell us what it is ABOUT!" Fear not my brave minion, I'm coming to that!
I can not yet reveal too much about it, and keep in mind anything can change, but here are some key facts for your pleasure:

• It is set on the continent of Tar'Eyal, to the south of Maj'Eyal, which you can already glimpse at the shores on the southern point of Shaloren lands ingame.
  • Two prominent forces on the continent: the Great and Bountiful Undeath Empire and the Saupur Imperium
  • The continent has been shielded from the outside by a mysterious shield for millennia
  • It features a "half-campaign". It happens at the same time as Age of Ascendancy, the player starts on Tar'Eyal and it replaces the first half of the normal game.
  • About 15ish zones planned, perhaps more
  • At least two new classes: Dust Mages and Gravelords. It is very likely at least a third one will be added.
  • At least six new races: Risens, Vessels, Vampires, Exarchs, Saurpurs (two kinds, reptilian and draconic). And possibly more!
  • The usual tons of new lore, artifacts, npcs, achievements, quests, ...
To be on trend

So it seems like every single content creator is on Patreon but me. Well, I suppose I need to fix that then!
Joking aside, I've been asked many times if I could provide alternatives to Paypal for donations because well, some (many?) people are not fond of it at all. Lately Patreon announced they'd change their fees, except for people that got on before May, so I thought "Hey, I suppose it's as good as time as ever".
Now this is a bit of a different Patreon page than people are used to. In the spirit of always trying to keep things fair for every players, no matter where they buy the game/donate, I've decided that all the different pledge tiers would never entail players to anything special. Instead the system will simply count all the money that has been received from a pledge and add it to the voratun coins on te4.org. Just like any other donations. Patreon pledgers will get a blue name in the chat like any other recurring donation setups.
I know this is likely to lose me some pledges, but I think being fair to everybody is more important.
You can find the Patreon page here: https://www.patreon.com/darkgodone

The Future: new rendering engine

new-renderer.gif

For a very long time now I've had a side project: upgrading the display code used by T-Engine4.
When I started making the game it was my very first OpenGL project, so as you can imagine the code sucked royally.
It has gotten better over time but it still follows the same principles I first implemented, and frankly, they suck.

Some time ago I spoke about porting the game to tablets & phones, this presents a lot of UI challenges as Tales of Maj'Eyal is just a wee bit more complex than your usual phone game. But it also presents code problems as the current way of doing OpenGL just does not cut it.

The new rendering code is meant to alleviate this problem. It's a very long project because it means rewriting so much code and because the new code is not the same even in concept. The worst part about this project is that, on the surface, the user will see very little change from all of this. Apart from a somewhat better font handling and some smoother animations, the primary changes will be a new particle system, and a visual editor to implement them.

Still it's a lot of thankless invisible work, but it is needed to ensure the future of the game :)

The Other Future: translation?

This is even more hypothetical but something I've also worked on a bit, adding a translation layer to the engine to make it available in multiple languages. This is a huge undertaking and unlikely to come fast, if at all, but it would be so nice, wouldn't it?

Final Words: the DarkGod has spoken!

And there you go, you know of some of the projects being worked on/thought about. Do note that those are only the relative short-term stuff, ideas are certainly not something I lack ;) As I have said many times, Tales of Maj'Eyal is my baby, I love it and I do not plan on stopping as long as the community supports me with love (and sadly, money too as this is the real world :/ ).

Thanks to all of you and I hope you'll love what comes next, and then what comes afterwards and ... and ... well you get the idea :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I bought the Forbidden Cults DLC last time GOG had a sale and is it just me or are the tentacle pits too generous with powerful loot? My Wyrmic is 30th lvl and pretty much nothing can touch her anymore. The only 2 times I died was in the Occult Egress when I didn't realize I was standing in a rune/seal that was cast by one of the bosses.

Lacrymas

Arcane
My search throughout the internet has revealed the answer - yeah, the loot is indeed very powerful, but people avoid the pits on higher difficulties because they can end you very fast. I suppose it's a good trade-off.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah this is a game where random enemies can have sets of abilities that will just do 10 times more damage than an actual zone boss out of nowhere. You're supposed to click on every rare mob and read all their skills to see if it's safe to fight them apparently. I dunno how people actually enjoy this on the higher difficulties.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You don't really do that when you are playing on harder difficulties. You only hover over them if there's some damage spike out of nowhere or you see a dangerous sustain belonging to a class you should probably be afraid of. At that point in the game, you vaguely know what each class does and when you see a dangerous class combo you go into defensive mode, run or try to kill it as fast as possible.

MWaser

Arbiter
yeah you can usually figure out what kind of special classes the random enemies have just by seeing their sustainable abilities. If you see some suspicious shit, that's when you read more in-depth.

Bara

Arcane
Patch 1.6 now in beta.

Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.6 BETA1 is upon you!
September 21, 2019
By darkgod - September 21, 2019

My minions,

Finally the day of 1.6 has come, well, it's only beta but still, beta has come! ;)
You'll find all the downloads on https://te4.org/beta-test

Please, try to keep all bug reportings on ToME's official forums at http://forums.te4.org/ as it is hardly feasible for me to survey 10 different location for bugs.

The current DLCs will still work in 1.6 so you can test with those but they will each get a small update at the same time as the final 1.6 release to update how they process melee talents to be inline with the new 1.6 way.

Please do note this is *not* by any stretch of the imagination a full changelog. The 1.6 release contains so many changes and updates that it'd turn me mad organizing them into a semblance of changelog and it'd turn you mad reading it all.
The original unabridged log is about 3500 lines long.

One last thing for those new to betas; characters will NEVER validate in beta; that's normal and as usual importing characters across major releases is bound to not work all too well.

• When a yeek exits the tunnels to the halfling complex and sees subject Z; a warning comes up from the wayist, urging you to flee
  • When a shader is missing, it'll use a default fallback (prevents loading game with missing DLCs/addons)
  • Classic UI can now cancel buffs by right-click
  • Load quickhotkeys prior to loading the game to fix hotkey ordering for "restart the same character".
  • Greatly revised celestial positive spells and a few negative ones
  • Disable fatigue for positive and negative energy
  • Updated/rebalanced some NPCs
  • Revised Defilers
  • Added an UI option to sharpen the map display, as requested by some
  • Removed max level on all fixed artifacts. Material level already restrains them. This prevents some artifacts being near un-obtainable on higher difficulties
  • Fixed an issue preventing users with a too long password from login in. Woops sorry :/
  • Cunning techniques revisions
  • Greatly revised Summoners
  • Buff Giant Leap
  • Improve Elemental Surge
  • Significantly revise 2H Assault
  • Fix NPCs shoving the player
  • Teleports now immediately maximize the AI's guess spread on your current location
  • Ethereal Form uses highest of Dex or Mag for its defense bonus
  • Rebalance Elemental Harmony
  • Revise many artifacts, egos, randarts and items
  • Revise Arcane Blade's Enhancement tree
  • Reduce Arcane Destruction damage and fix type to Arcane
  • Fix Glove display
  • Fix Adept causing infinite talent levels
  • Sustains will not disable at 0 Stamina or Mana anymore, as it is cumbersome and is easily prevented with a little regen anyway
  • Fix Slings not having a base speed
  • Add stairs up to Dark Crypt
  • Fix Elemental Harmony allowing self damage
  • Allow respeccing out of combat
  • Add a talent autouse for being out of combat
  • Multiple updates to combat damage log
  • Fix light radius letting Players (but not NPCs) see beyond their max vision radius
  • Resize and reposition how charges are displayed on effects
  • Several talents that move the player would not function at all or would behave unusually if auto-accept target was enabled.
  • Greatly revised inscriptions (runes & infusions)
  • Greatly revised the early game combat to make melee start less painful
  • Revise accuracy bonuses to have more impact and nicer breakpoints
  • Revise shield/glove combat table tooltips
  • Born into magic now actually gives 20% inc dam as advertised(up from 15%)
  • Change Stone Vines' and Rockswallow's damage to Nature and removed speed malus from Stone Vines
  • Revise some racial talents
  • Round most talent masteries to 0.0 or 0.3
  • Add many, many base character visual customisation options (beards, hairs, skin color, tatoo and so on)
  • Implement support for cosmetic & "useless fun" microtransactions
  • Revise Scoundrel and add it to the Rogue escort
  • Redesign the Vim resource (no more ability refund; Vim regeneration on any kill scales faster with Willpower and now also scales with target rank; Bloodcasting is now baselined in the resource allowing you to pay Vim costs with 200% of the cost as life)
  • Added an UI option to sharpen the map display
  • Fixed a bug preventing steamsaw/guns from generating as egos for randbosses (amongst other things) (yes fear the gunsnakes!)
  • Small revisions to Archmage
  • Update Worldly Knowledge to only include most of the currently available escort/quest trees
  • Remove defense penalty from block
  • Miscelanous revisions to many talents
  • Revise Antimagic
  • Major AI update, smarter, better, maybe faster
  • Fixed several screenshot issues
  • Randomly generated humanoid npcs now use the same cosmetic features available to players, randomly
  • Simplify SDL gamma calculation and restore default gamma on exit.
  • Levelup dialog shows variable parts of talent descriptions (like numbers that go up as you levelup) in green even at talent levels 0 and 5, to better see which values will evolve
  • Revision of Fears
  • Add a bonus to stealth rating for Armor of Shadows
  • Revise shops
  • Revise fixed bosses, now they can better levelup and learn new tricks too
  • Revise Wyrmics
  • Revise Afflicted
  • New scriptable map generator along with a variety of combinable algorithms for it
  • Revise Stealth
  • Revise Shadowblade
  • Ban Dreamscape entirely from NPC use
  • Modules Markers, IMPORTANT: Removed unpausing the game when using energy in engine.Actor:useEnergy as this was badly misplaced, instead superload useEnergy inside your own player class to do it, look at example's module Player class for how to
  • Tilemaps can be scaled, fliped, rotated; new Maze tilemap; Heightmap & Noise tilemaps can be normalized
  • Revise Prodigies
  • To celebrate nearly 10 years of ToME, a new awesomely drawn custom player tile that comes from the very early days of the game
  • Stun: Cooldown lock changed to half, damage reduction changed to 50%
  • Confusion: Interaction with confusion immunity removed
  • Increase the spawn level of the Melinda event to 30
  • Increase resting rate dramatically
  • Add 1 regen to Alchemist golem to reduce resting tedium
  • Remove Munitions from Archer and re-add Poisons
  • Remove useless trees from some classes
  • Remove melee retaliation from many NPCs
  • Zigur is now always present on the map but forbids entry to any magic user.
  • Various visual improvements
  • Updated the way NPCs (randbosses) are assigned character classes
  • Object requirements can now be any random flag of the wearer
  • High Peak levels become smaller towards the end (but keep the same number of foes inside)
  • Increased foes density in the Prides
  • Escort quests will now spawn in the Infinite Dungeon (between levels 5 and 40)
  • Fixed some Infinite Dungeon challenges
  • Nerfed patrols a bit
  • Revise Ghouls
  • Nerf life leech stacking
  • Can send talent links in the chat from the talent's right click menu or in the levelup dialog by pressing ctrl+l
  • Revise shops system
  • More Mummies! Rejoice!
  • Revise saves (saves against effects, not savefile!)
  • Revise archers
  • *NUMEROUS* fixes and updates to a ton of things (can I be more vague? probably but it'll be hard ;) )
A huge thanks to all those contributed to help make this release the biggest release ever!

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm interested to see the Wyrmic changes as it's the class I'm most familiar with. It was quite powerful when used correctly (aka using mindstar mastery) and it could clear Insane, so I wouldn't say it needed urgent changes, but I guess it was a bit limited build-wise and relied on being anti-magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom