Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

hell bovine

Arcane
Does System Shock count? I really wanted to finish that game, but I just couldn't, because I was that terrible at combat. I think I gave up when my character got killed by some deranged space monkeys. :lol:
It was System Shock 2! :x
Oh yeah, you're right. Seems like I've arrived at the senile gamer stage. In my ye olde times...

PsychoFox

Educated
Stuff I ain't never played:

The Gold Box series
The Magic Candle
The Bard's Tale
M&M 1 and 2
And I'll pretend I never played NWN because I hated it every single time I tried.
You know, the main campaign of NWN is simply atrocious but some of its modules are quite brilliant.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Is the only thing NWN has is custom campaigns? Because, I really like 3rd edition, however, with pathfinder I’m not sure why I would get it.

Would like convincing reasons.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the only thing NWN has is custom campaigns? Because, I really like 3rd edition, however, with pathfinder I’m not sure why I would get it.

I dunno. I suppose if you want to be an expert in RPG and tactics, you play as many games as possible that throw the rules at you a different way, and hope it challenges you gameplay wise? There was some fun narrative modules in there as well. Lilura recommends the Swordflight series that I never played. But its worth 5-10 dollars for the HOTU official expansion alone.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

NWN also has online Persistent Worlds (called PWs for short) where you can play with other people. You can also host your own games online to play with friends. You can open up the toolset and build your own scenario and share it with others or use it to torture your friends. You can play as a DM and host a game while a party of real people fight the monsters you conjure and speak to the NPCs you possess.

Pathfinder can’t really do most of those things...

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I never really got involved in the online stuff, more than anything I just hate the interface to the game, but the original campaign really is shitty. I might have to try and throw myself at the DLCs sometime.

wyes gull

Savant
Baldur's Gate. Or anything Bioware outside of Mass Effect and NWN (?!).

Any EotB-style FP dungeon crawler outside of Betrayal in Antara (?!) and Words Worth (!!!).

The ones I do regret having missed out on tho, are Gothic 2 and Darklands. The former is pretty low on my to-do list but I'm way past due on the latter. In fact, I think I'm gonna print out the manual and put it in the shitter. That always gets the log ball rolling.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

NWN has some good stuff and lots of bad stuff.

For a start the game came with a powerful editor that lets people make their own campaigns, and quickly make whole new environments and things. You could even make whole new characters and spells and whatever you want if you are good enough at programming. The downside is that the engine is a bit fugly because everything is designed to be like tiles pieced together. But potentially endless content is a huge plus. Also the game had full multiplayer support which for the time is great, but when you think people could make entire MMO type games out of NWN, it is pretty amazing. Big scope but it came at the cost of a not so good original campaign and a somewhat gimpy engine.

Another feature/failure of the game is that you play as a single character. You can hire an AI mercenary if you want but you don't get a party. But you can multiclass your character so you can try some interesting stuff. Also what you lack in variety and depth from only being 1 character, it partly makes up for it by making that one character super important. Battles are won or lost on that one guy, so you have to play well and build the character well. Also you level up quite fast so you start primitive, my mage struggled with his crappy ray of enfeeblement and a few magic missiles etc. But later on you get high level and super strong, I could summon huge pets and also Mordenkainen's Sword at the same time, as well as fireballs and ice storms and cone of cold etc. I liked being high level and wielding weapons of mass destruction.

The campaign is a bit dull though and most people didn't like it. I thought it was ok, but only ok. But there are 2 expansions which are much better and you have a party in them. One of them was really good.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Didn't play:

Any Ultima
Most Wizardries (except for 7 and 8 which I did not devote much time; liked Wizards and Warriors however)
The old Might and Magics (played lots of 6, completed only 7&8)
Darklands
Dark Heart of Uukrul

I guess I do not enjoy blobbers that much. But I have plans for Darklands and Ultimas (at least 6, 7, 8 and the Underworlds). I also want to finish Realms of Arkania trilogy, with which I played a lot but mostly fucking around).

hell bovine

Arcane

NWN mods aren't very comparable to PK, because they are based on different settings and can vary in both playstyle and approach. If you ignore the main campaign (recommended), it's like buying a bunch of smaller games bundled together.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
KotOR 2 (hate Star Wars), Fallout (don't ask), Arcanum (but I will try!), any Elder Scrolls or Witchers (3D CRPGs are heresy), Dark Souls (who the hell decided it is even the RPG?), Final Fantasy (fuck otaku), and also Vampires (bugged as hell, also vampires are cheesy)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
KotOR 2 (hate Star Wars), Fallout (don't ask), Arcanum (but I will try!), any Elder Scrolls or Witchers (3D CRPGs are heresy), Dark Souls (who the hell decided it is even the RPG?), Final Fantasy (fuck otaku), and also Vampires (bugged as hell, also vampires are cheesy)

What have you played?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

What have you played?

mostly chess

Baron Dupek

Arcane
KotOR 1 and 2 - not a fan of SW, and I'm way past old times when my PC was garbage and would play anything for entertainment.
Skyrim, Fallout 4, Oblivion - not my type.
Dark Souls 2,3,Bloodbourne, Demon's Souls - tried DS1 after my marathon with older FROM games (they made first person RPGs before) and it was disappointing so much that next games are out of question when it comes to try them

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
KotOR 1 and 2 - not a fan of SW, and I'm way past old times when my PC was garbage and would play anything for entertainment.
I don't really like star wars and I found Kotor 2 to be worth playing.

nRrcueD.png

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

What have you played?

To be serious, I registered on Codex because of Torment.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think you are missing much with any of those games tbh. Unpopular view but so be it. Kotor2 is ok, or it was in 2000 or whenever it was made but playing it now wouldn't feel worthwhile imo, I tried. Also in terms of tactical combat which is the only thing I care about in any RPG, it is very simple and RPG-lite. Still, it is the best thing in that list. I don't like Fallouts, Arcanum is a shitshow, Elder Scrolls/Witchers/Dark Souls are dumb action games that don't even have good action, Final Fantasy is for little girls and story fags, and vampires are for goth kids, which I could put up with if the gameplay was good but it just isn't. I think 3d RPGs can be great, the problem is it usually goes hand in hand with making it dumbed down and more of a glorified FPS. There are exceptions that are worth trying though, System Shock and sequel, Deus Ex, etc. Also Final Fantasy Tactics is great.

And before the omg wot DO u liek?! question, I really love KOTC, Krondor, JA2, BG2, IWD2, TOEE, EQ, Divine Divinity, and some others I forgot. And I had some ok fun with MOTB, DA Origins, DoS, Wiz8, the kung fu Bioware game, and some others I forgot. I love the System Shock games too but I don't think of them as RPGs, just more interesting FPSs.

p.s. But if you like Plansecape you probably have a different point of view to me.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I don't think you are missing much with any of those games tbh. Unpopular view but so be it. Kotor2 is ok, or it was in 2000 or whenever it was made but playing it now wouldn't feel worthwhile imo, I tried. Also in terms of tactical combat which is the only thing I care about in any RPG, it is very simple and RPG-lite. Still, it is the best thing in that list. I don't like Fallouts, Arcanum is a shitshow, Elder Scrolls/Witchers/Dark Souls are dumb action games that don't even have good action, Final Fantasy is for little girls and story fags, and vampires are for goth kids, which I could put up with if the gameplay was good but it just isn't. I think 3d RPGs can be great, the problem is it usually goes hand in hand with making it dumbed down and more of a glorified FPS. There are exceptions that are worth trying though, System Shock and sequel, Deus Ex, etc. Also Final Fantasy Tactics is great.

And before the omg wot DO u liek?! question, I really love KOTC, Krondor, JA2, BG2, IWD2, TOEE, EQ, Divine Divinity, and some others I forgot. And I had some ok fun with MOTB, DA Origins, DoS, Wiz8, the kung fu Bioware game, and some others I forgot. I love the System Shock games too but I don't think of them as RPGs, just more interesting FPSs.

p.s. But if you like Plansecape you probably have a different point of view to me.

I actually agree with the most of it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was playing EQ on 9/11. Everywhere I looked I was seeing fireballs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom