Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #58: Director's Cut releasing on August 27th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: inXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

Last month we were informed that the Bard's Tale IV Director's Cut was coming in late summer. Today we learn that late summer means August 27th. It's going to be a separate new version of the game, which conveniently allows inXile to get a fresh start without the negative reviews the original release suffered from. The nice thing is that Kickstarter backers will now automatically get all the bonus DLCs instead of having to manually enter codes. The latest Kickstarter update has the details, along with a new trailer:

We’re happy to announce that The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut will be arriving digitally on Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass (PC and Xbox), and PlayStation 4 on August 27!

If you already own the game on PC when the Director’s Cut arrives, you’ll receive the update for free with the game’s release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut.

For the digital Director’s Cut we’re making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director’s Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition. For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts.

A reminder for Mac & Linux users: your Steam and GOG keys are already available via CrowdOx if you haven’t redeemed them yet. The keys are universal, meaning they work with whichever system you are running Steam/GOG on (Windows, Mac, Linux). There are no Mac- or Linux-specific keys needed.

Digital versions are available to pre-order/wishlist today on Steam and GOG, and for the physical version you can pre-order at Amazon and Gamestop, as well as other regional shops in the coming weeks. Head over to our updated The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut page on the inXile website for links.

We are incredibly grateful for your backing of the game, for your feedback, and (especially for our Mac & Linux backers) your patience.

We’re truly lucky to have been able to pour these additional months of work into a product we love, to have the ability to bring in these improvements and new content, and we’re looking forward to getting the Director’s Cut into your hands in under two short months!

Thanks from all of us here at inXile!

Good stuff. Kind of makes you wonder what they might have done with Torment if Microsoft had stepped in early enough.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
piracy.png
piracy.png
piracy.png
Finally, I'll be able to play that shit
piracy.png
piracy.png
piracy.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ToN just needed a massive editing pass, and it seems unlikely that's something that would have happened post-release.

SniperHF

Arcane
Not sure if ethical.

Maybe, maybe not, but on the whole I think it's a good thing for players.
It allows for you to easily play the original version if you want to and maintain mod compatibility (not that BT has any of note, but other games did)

Or say releasing the directors cut version of Dragonfall expansion for SRR exposed it to many more players than it would have otherwise. You can play the best game of the series without having to own the original.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex's criticism put me off TToN for over two years, but when I finally decided to play it (finished it just last week), I actually really enjoyed it. Sure, it is just a shadow of Planescape: Torment, but it still scratched enough of that PST itch to leave me satisfied.

Then I re-read Codex review of the game and got reminded of all the cut content and corners, and got sad over what it could have been. So yeah, that Microsoft acquisition came a year too late.

Now I need to finally play Mask of the Betrayer.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
In the ad it stats about or more than 40 hours worth of play; isn't that a bit short? Are there speedruns on BT4 yet?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bard's Tale IV is to the original trilogy
what Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1&2.

A director's cut won't change anything.
The only good thing that sprung from it
might be the remaster of the original trilogy.
I have been happy enough replaying the C-64 version
over the years, so that I have no urge getting the remaster.
And with Expeditions, Age of Decadence, Underrail and
Battle Brothers, there is actual incline stuff to be played.

mindfields

Learned
What a boring little casual phone game this game was. 40 hours of gameplay, 4 classes, fugging Dragon Age is more hardcore than BT4.

Gord

Arcane
I guess I will replay it when the new version is out (although it's probably safer to wait a patch or two).
It's not a bad game, even though it had some quite rough corners. It's not a very deep game, true, but that's actually very much in line with the original trilogy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bard's Tale IV is to the original trilogy
what Fallout 3 is to Fallout 1&2.

A director's cut won't change anything.
The only good thing that sprung from it
might be the remaster of the original trilogy.
I have been happy enough replaying the C-64 version
over the years, so that I have no urge getting the remaster.
And with Expeditions, Age of Decadence, Underrail and
Battle Brothers, there is actual incline stuff to be played.

Yeah "MIGHT BE" the only good thing, but FARGO sure as hell ain't going ALL OUT and putting BTCS into that mastery. COME FUCKING ON YOU PRICK! Casual creators would love to tinker around and make shit with that engine. Will we see Dragon Wars also. And three's some modern crap they didn't put in to my knowledge like a monster guide of creatures you've killed and found or items with all the abilities listed. Just minishit that seem common in some of the games like the metroidvania and such games. I imagine it might not have been terribly difficult to have a PVP party option for link play or a custom Bard's tale world. Seems wonky but old NWN had something along those gold box lines. I never tried Crimson Sands Dark Sun. So yeah, at least we got an OK remaster of BTT. I'm just not overly thrilled with BTIV like I'm not thrilled with the Underworld "sort of ultima" remake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom