Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It most probably will. With no missing in combat.

To remove missing, you need to re write everything. Ranged combat, feats, spells that increases AC, spells that allows saves, spells that allow SR(...)

And note, Larian criticized the leveling and even spell slots, for then is not intuitive.

Larian presents Deadfire 2

I think that Larian is developing Sword Coast Legends 3 with BG3's name

Sword_Coast_Legends_cover_art.jpg

----------------------------------------

Every game that tried to re write the rules ended with an poorer experience. This applies to PfK making sneak attack ridiculous broken, this applies to nwn1 where pale masters are useless due only one summon BS and lack of +caster level from the class, this applies to nwn2's warlock that is a piece of crap, but when i installed an mod that made the class more pnp-like, i loved the class, this applies to every game, in every time. With few exceptions when the rule alteration is optional. For eg, IWD/BG:EE Dragon's Disciple. This class is a prestige class on 3e and din't exist on aD&D, even IWD2(3e) doesn't have the class. But i loved to solo the game with the class in question.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Baldur's Gate doesn't even have turn-based combat.

My dream is a mod for the IE games like Kingmaker has gotten that makes their combat actually proper and correct, though

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Baldur's Gate doesn't even have turn-based combat.

My dream is a mod for the IE games like Kingmaker has gotten that makes their combat actually proper and correct, though
cant you make BG stop after ever attack round via the rules/option selections?
People like to pretend that makes it turn-based, but WEGO is not the same thing as D&D turn-based rules

If BG3 would be just "on par with DA:O" I'd be fucking disappointed, given that even with all their shortcoming D:OS 1 and 2 are already far better games.

EDIT: People, you can spare me the autistic emotes. You won't convince me that Dragon Age Origins is anything better than dull, forgettable crap.
Bitching it's "the best in the series" may be true but that's just setting the bar low.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Was this posted already?
https://www.pcinvasion.com/baldurs-gate-iii-the-case-for-a-turn-based-combat-mode/

Highlights:

Last month, Ars Technica ran a short interview with Larian founder Swen Vincke. During their talk, Vincke mentioned his personal distaste for the expectations of real-time combat. He struggled with this quite a bit back in the late 90s and early 2000s, as publishers seemed to lose interest in turn-based titles.

I mean, like, Beyond Divinity for instance was a turn-based game back in the day, and I flatly got told here at this show, at E3, “You gotta make it real time!” Right? “You have to make it real time—nothing else sells any more! You’re not going to get any single minimum guarantee!” Which is how you fund studios, back in the days at least, if you don’t make it real time.

In the Ars Technica interview, Swen Vincke also stated, “We’re not making [Baldur’s Gate III] for nostalgia reasons. We’re making a new modern RPG for a new era.” This is an interesting contrast with other CRPGs, as both Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker have deep roots in nostalgia. Pillars of Eternity was conservative to a fault, sticking as close to Baldur’s Gate as possible. The sequel, Deadfire, was somewhat more experimental, though it still adhered to pausable real-time combat in its final release, with some minor improvements. Pathfinder: Kingmaker added some new features, but it’s probably the most obstinately nostalgic CRPG of the past few years. That’s likely why it won the RPG Codex GOTY 2018.

For the record, there’s been no confirmation from either Swen Vincke or any other Larian Studios spokesperson that Baldur’s Gate III will feature a turn-based combat mode. In a recent Metro interview, Vincke refused to answer a question about the combat directly, and the question also hinted at the possibility of turn-based combat. It looks like he wants to show rather than tell, which is, admittedly, better from a marketing standpoint. However, he did say the following, which bodes well:

When you play D&D you get thrown challenges that you need to overcome. Some of these challenges require you to go into combat. And to ensure player agency you have to give the player a whole bunch of systems so that they can use them in any way they want to overcome the challenges that are thrown at them. That’s what we did in [Divinity: Original Sin II] because in [it] people come up with craziest ways of winning, unwinnable combat.

That’s also what we’ll do in Baldur’s Gate III. You’re going to see combat that is very easy and you’re going to see combat that is hard. You have an entire toolbox at your disposal, which goes beyond just a rule set. It also depends on your imagination, so that you will overcome situations in a variety of ways.

In my opinion, this is even better than a simple confirmation that it will feature turn-based combat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeon

Augur
At this E3 someone told him he can't sell TB when DOS games sold the most out of the KS games? that's pretty dumb if true

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
At this E3 someone told him he can't sell TB when DOS games sold the most out of the KS games? that's pretty dumb if true
It sounds like he meant that someone told him that in the past, like when Beyond Divinity came out (2004).
Dumb either way though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't realize people on this forum actually had that piece of shit of Dragon Age Origins in such a high regard.
I'm getting all these butthurt reactions for stating a plain truth about it.
Very few people here love it. Some more thought it was ok. I think most people think it was crap. I am somewhere between the first two.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, did you saw the leaked gameplay???

Obviously spoilers

Just kidding, but if for then missing doesn't work, leveling is too slow, and spell slots is not intuitive, will the game change more the rules than SCL? Because SCL at least maintained the "leveling" aspect...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't realize people on this forum actually had that piece of shit of Dragon Age Origins in such a high regard.

It's not that people hold it in such a high regard, but in the context of what might happen to BG3 it's a bearable amount of popamole and it has some good points outside of that, like the origin stories. Again, you can't expect a TB party-based 5E 2D RPG with great itemization and story, it's just not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

It's not that people hold it in such a high regard, but in the context of what might happen to BG3 it's a bearable amount of popamole and it has some good points outside of that, like the origin stories. Again, you can't expect a TB party-based 5E 2D RPG with great itemization and story, it's just not gonna happen.

Dragon Age was pretty good when Bioware could get out of their own fucking way. The story is generic and dumb, VO was okay, and characters were mostly forgettable. The combat was pretty good, though. I liked the multiple abilities for different classes and they all felt different and viable enough to be interesting. The game is incredibly easy now but it was decently difficult back in the day.

DA2 and DA3 were complete garbage, though.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Why would that be a bad thing though for them? I guess some BG fans would hate it, however, didn’t OS2 sell like 2 million?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom