Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To expand, the following bacterium feebly attempt to devalue BG's seminal legacy at every turn. Believe me when I say, you'd better believe me, that these guys are in the most need of a vinegar dousing:

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine

Seek help.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Symptoms
Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder, according to the DSM-5, exhibit five or more of the following, which are present by early adulthood and across contexts:

• A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Belief that one is special and can only be understood by or associate with special people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement (to special treatment)
  • Exploitation of others
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or the belief that one is the object of envy
  • Arrogant, haughty behavior or attitudes
Individuals with NPD can be easily stung by criticism or defeat and may react with disdain or anger—but social withdrawal or the false appearance of humility may also follow according to the DSM-5.

In Lilura's case there is a new name for it: Tiax Complex.

To expand, the following bacterium feebly attempt to devalue BG's seminal legacy at every turn. Believe me when I say, you'd better believe me, that these guys are in the most need of a vinegar dousing:

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine

Seek help.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Symptoms
Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder, according to the DSM-5, exhibit five or more of the following, which are present by early adulthood and across contexts:

• A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Belief that one is special and can only be understood by or associate with special people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement (to special treatment)
  • Exploitation of others
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or the belief that one is the object of envy
  • Arrogant, haughty behavior or attitudes
Individuals with NPD can be easily stung by criticism or defeat and may react with disdain or anger—but social withdrawal or the false appearance of humility may also follow according to the DSM-5.
In Lilura's case there is a new name for it: Tiax Complex.

Positively brilliant. I wish I had thought of it. We need to get a moderator to tag Lilura. That would be perfect.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Parabalus
Tigranes
oldmanpaco
octavius
Mr. Magniloquent
Xeon
Brancalione
hell bovine
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

:positive:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
claiming to be "authoritative" and an "expert" does not unfortunately make you either authoritative or an expert.

Authoritative:

"Able to be trusted as being accurate or true; reliable."

1. My write-ups are accurate, true and reliable. If unintended errors or omissions are exposed by readers, I edit the write-up and credit the reader.
2. My retrospectives are based on the original and authoritative versions of the games (not the EEs). I'm the only commentator whose retrospectives contain no admixture of the EEs.
3. My blog enjoys Google authority as it pertains to the Infinity and Aurora engine. And basically any other RPG I want to write about now. I post, I get ranked within a few hours. Even expert pro-bloggers and marketing gurus know it can take 6 months just to get a degree of prominence, and up to 2 years for actual prominence. You never get there without posting King Content. Google penalizes write-ups that aren't King.

As usual, and as a shitposter lost in the shuffle and unread, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Pro-tip: You can't even take a swipe at me in this sphere, let alone talk down to me. It doesn't wash.

You know, if authority could be conjured into existence simply by claiming to have it, we'd be drowning in it. If that's your goal, I'm afraid you are failing hard.

But if your aim is to sound like a poor man's retarded version of Cleve, only without the wit, the outrageous comic factor, or even a Grimoire to show for it, keep at it, because you are doing a great job.

Strantar

Novice
Any mod that allow you to play as an vampire? With everything, including sun damage and possibility of enslave others?
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1195-vampire-world-for-eet/ for the vampire run
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1196-mercenaries-of-sword-coast-for-eet/ to enslave the whole Sword Coast
Both need the complete EE versions of the game modded into one by EET (BGT-style).

I can't comment on them since I never played any of the two.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Any mod that allow you to play as an vampire? With everything, including sun damage and possibility of enslave others?
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1195-vampire-world-for-eet/ for the vampire run
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1196-mercenaries-of-sword-coast-for-eet/ to enslave the whole Sword Coast
Both need the complete EE versions of the game modded into one by EET (BGT-style).

Has anyone played these? There's like a shit ton of content that looks like it's a complete bugfest.

Each of those has like 20-30 joinable NPCs and lots of systems like cannibalism, slavery, drinking and sex.

Bodhi is joinable or resurrectable after defeating her in her crypt. You must propose her something good for her. If she is joined in party, you can go with her straight to elven city (with Lanthorn in pockets) and she will get you straight to Jon (without licking elven boots). You have option to aid her and let Jon kill Tree of Life.

Entire game altering mechanics. Anyone played these?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can anyone recommend interesting content mods? Like NPCs, areas, quests, classes, mechanics? Seems like all these years people were making stuff, and I've no idea what is good and what isn't.

Preferably something well-polished. Maybe a mega-mod.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Thanks a lot. Only one more question. How i install mods on Linux?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anyone recommend interesting content mods? Like NPCs, areas, quests, classes, mechanics? Seems like all these years people were making stuff, and I've no idea what is good and what isn't.

All of my big mod runs have ended in a corrupting bug that prevents game completion. I played the Drizzt Saga (inspired by Lilura) that was fun - in a watch a bad Sylvestor Stallone movie kind of way - and then I followed it up with 'Region of Terror' which was as impressive as it was shit. The modder decided to do all of his own voice-overs (which I managed to replace with quality ones for the party) but he also did larping ones for the NPCs (which I planned to replace with silence). But in my experience; I haven't found a single modder that can write properly. Nothing quite like trying to solve a Save vs Death (fuck you! there's no save!) riddle written by a German modder with an E in English. And they never tell you when they break the rules. The Drizzt Saga had vampires that could charm you through scrolls of magic protection. The Region of Terror mod just didn't give a fuck.

I tried the 'Check the Bodies' mod. On its own. And: the fucking chores. I got past them, and I think that was quite well written. Probably the best written mod (I haven't played many) was the NPC Project for BG1. Yeslick in particular was good. But I think they had multiple writers, and here and there it dropped to Amber Scott levels; that chick with the wolves on the way to Baldur's Gate was the worst example.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Monty&Zar were my favorites, with both quality and quantity of content.
But Kivan had most added content.

If I'm ever doing another BGT run, it will be with a Berserker/Mage of the evil side of True Neutral. I'll pick up Monty&Zar, and Tiax. Tiax will be getting the Belt that changes gender, and I'll rename him her Lilura.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I suppose I can't fault modders for wanting to be noticed, but there are times their judgment could be in question. I'm keeping an eye on that EETrilogy mod that will allow IWDEE to be played within it. Although I still don't think I successfully bleached SOD out of my mind to ever play it objectively. Because it's objectively shit. The draw for me would be to make a custom run, where I'll redo everyon'e class (like make Viconia a Thief/Cleric and Khalid a Fighter/Mage) with a focus on powergaming right the way through to TOB. But again they're currently talking about getting writers together so that Jaheira says thing to Arundel and so on.

Why? Do they honestly think that it's more immersion breaking for Jaheira to say nothing, than for whatever dumbfuck writer they get to make some shit comment about druid mushrooms, or whatever crap they come out with.

But every few years I try these mods, to remind myself to stick to the original content. Minor mods can be good though - like that Thalantyr item crafting mod. Bit overpowered, but gud.

There are very few which I use. Nearly every one I have tried is awful. The few I do use mostly inject some minor quests into existing areas to flesh things out a bit more. None of them introduce any overpowered loot, with possibly the exception of the final reward in Assassinations. That mod has probably the most content, which is directed at evil playthroughs. With a feather-light touch of polish, it could pass for being part of the original game.

Jeru

Novice
Got a question :

Durlag Tower. SCS mod + some other mods. 4 Warden Fights. Love, Avarice, Pride, Fear. First 3 killed. Fear remain and is unkillable - I can get him to almost dead but he cannot be killed, no matter how much spike dmg is done, always stays at "almost dead" + regenerates health quickly after. I assume this is due to some mod (SCS?) - anyone had this? - is this due to some RP reason (and player is supposed to grab a wardstone from Love remaints and go to lower level) or there is some special way of finishing Fear like in case of Trolls, etc ?

There might be a problem of scripts. I dont know what it is exactly and the correct way to deal with it.

I can tell you some ways to to deal with those script-cause problems.

Can you let him go and just run away to previous level? Absolutely get a loading screen change, then move away from the entry point and wait a while to see if he chased you across loading zones. They usually dont, though some specific maps and specific enemies may do so.

If Fear dont follow you, get a full rest, rebuff and return. He either stand at the exit zone, or nearby. And his script might be reset a bit. He will still be quite hard, but not impossible anymore.

Use some of these combo to deal with him: skeleton + cloudkill, spider spawn + web, fire elemental + continuous fire bombardment (necklace of missile, fireball, oil of explosion). Experiment~

It's probably its death script which is bugged.

Try putting this file into your override folder and see if it works.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5ypi7a
I just moved past it - Summoned some mobs to keep Fear busy while I went to lower level. Thanks you for response.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So I've been playing BG1 with SCS, having fun on insane, and then I'm on firewind bridge and I meet the unlucky female mage that opens an unholy jar and out comes... KAHRK

Ok, so this guy is a high level Ogre mage and was a very hard opponent on the vanilla BG, meant to be a really nasty surprise if you met him early in the game... but now he is OP as fuck. He appears with precasted stoneskin and glove of invulnerability (and who knows what else) but has a shit load of contingencies and sequencers ready to kick in so these spells and others, will continue infinitely, as it seems. Almost instant casting and constant haste on. He hits like a truck with a godly thac0, ultra high magic resistance leaving you zero chances to dispel any of his buffs.

He seemed like an unbeatable opponent for my lvl 6 party and after numerous deaths, I managed to beat him only with a lucky hit from my paralyzation wand.
Reward? Just a measly 3500xp and no other loot.

So yeah, just a heads-up for SCS Kahrk, the guy feels just too OP and if I play it again I will probably disable his "Hard" version from the SCS install.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'd say Kahrk is relatively the single most difficult enemy your party will face in a complete BGT SCS run.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've played Kahrk on SCS, though it might have been Core, not insane. He's still possible to cheese in the earlier game, but it really means using stuff like wand of summoning to try and keep him distracted because you know you can't touch him for at least a dozen turns. Alternatively, you can come back and fight him a little later.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So yeah, just a heads-up for SCS Kahrk, the guy feels just too OP and if I play it again I will probably disable his "Hard" version from the SCS install.

I think I skipped him my last play through. Tried a few times at lower level (5-6) then decided to come back before end game but forgot. He's always a pain in the ass.

So I've been playing BG1 with SCS, having fun on insane, and then I'm on firewind bridge and I meet the unlucky female mage that opens an unholy jar and out comes... KAHRK

Ok, so this guy is a high level Ogre mage and was a very hard opponent on the vanilla BG, meant to be a really nasty surprise if you met him early in the game... but now he is OP as fuck. He appears with precasted stoneskin and glove of invulnerability (and who knows what else) but has a shit load of contingencies and sequencers ready to kick in so these spells and others, will continue infinitely, as it seems. Almost instant casting and constant haste on. He hits like a truck with a godly thac0, ultra high magic resistance leaving you zero chances to dispel any of his buffs.

He seemed like an unbeatable opponent for my lvl 6 party and after numerous deaths, I managed to beat him only with a lucky hit from my paralyzation wand.
Reward? Just a measly 3500xp and no other loot.

He does come out with the Minor Globe of Invulnerability active, but I can't recall about the stoneskin. I think he just casts that first thing after dialogue ends. He has the standard Mirror Image + Invisibility sequencer(s), but the magic resistance doesn't seem right. He hits hard, but the melee threat is mostly for any of your confused party members. I play on core rules. If you're finding the challenge level....insane, on....Insane, then maybe change the slider? It sounds like you're getting what you asked for. Between Dispel Magic and the thief ability Detect Illusions, it's not about whether I will win, but if I will win with no losses. Very difficult to make it through SCS Khark without any deaths.

Tigranes

Arcane
AFAIK SCS Khark also likes to move around like a maniac, so aiming your Dispel can be a pain. (Or, if you beelined for him early on, you don't even have Dispel, hence my earlier comment on running around like a moron waiting.)

I seem to recall that his offensive loadout is pretty typical, LBolt, Acid Arrow, MMs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom