Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Fallout 4

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Never played it. Talking protagonist in an RPG is a death sentence to me. I loved DA: O, probably one of my favorite games ever, but I stopped playing the whole series just because of talking protagonists.

Anyways, I've read that the gun-play is substantially improved and fun. The storyline is supposedly garbage and the world is boring and ugly. Only thing good I've heard about is the weapon-system and possibly the base-building and crafting system?

Shadenuat

Arcane
The gunplay is improved but problem is game throws so much trash on you that ghouls closets get boring quickly. It's like draugs in Skyrim.

The world is not ugly, although it doesn't resemble gothic 40k ruins of original Fallout either. The only places which look like Fallout are Glowing Sea and Far Harbour dlc.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Why does Fluent always play shittier and shittier things? Fluent shouldn't degrade its tastes further or it will lead to a cesspool explosion. I don't know how lower taste can go, though.

Well, he hasn't played Inquisition yet, has he ?
And i'm sure the industry has tons of shittier games to release.

The Fluents of this world have nothing to worry about, endless entertainment awaits ...

Shadenuat

Arcane
In FO4 you can ignore plot, kill monsters, stalker glowing sea, upgrade your base and power armor and larp a raider or something.

In DAI it's bioware down your throat, all the way.

Beastro

Arcane
I like you Fluent, you're a good poster and contribute a lot.... but sometimes you make it hard for other to defend you. :(

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Fluent is trying to kill himself with shitty vidya. A dishonorable samurai.

Insert Title Here
Despite the hate, at least Fallout 4 actually does difficulty right compared to the other games. Survival mode in 4 is a legit challenge if you try to permadeath it (which is how I play most RPGs), and I'll admit I have an absurd number of hours in this game just because every few weeks I'll spend the entire weekend trying to pull it off. I have permadeathed the other Fallout games rather trivially, so now it's almost an obsession. In 4, one false move = instant death via a legendary raider's grenade while you were wearing maxed out X-01 power armor. At later levels many enemies just go straight into an execution animation on you if they get within nut-kicking distance.

You guys should give it more of a chance, it actually has many superior gameplay aspects compared to the other games (being actually a challenge, for one) and it seems like a lot of people here hate it less for the popamole and more as storyfriends mad about the dialogue wheel.

Okagron

Prophet
You guys should give it more of a chance
We have, it's a god awful game, even if you don't see it as a Fallout game. The combat itself is still awfully subpar compared to an average FPS and everything else is just terrible. The intro, the writing, the quests, the majority of the characters, the story and so many other aspects are just flat out botched. It goes beyond the terrible dialogue wheel.

If i only get challenge from self imposing it unto myself and only through a specific mode, your game has failed to make organic challenge. Not to mention, from midgame to lategame enemies just become bullet sponges. That's not challenge, that's the illusion of it.

And even with that, the series wasn't about shooting. It was about the characters, the stories, the multiple factions, how you could influence them and change the wasteland. That's not to say the games shouldn't have good combat, but it should never be the main focus, or take the majority of it like Bethesda does. The fact we have dipshits like you defending the combat just shows how much this series has fallen.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
If I remember right game has level scaling and level scaled spawns as well as level scaled equipment drops so I don't think it's particularly great for survival runs or something like that unless you mod it heavily.

Enemies you killed also respawn and areas also respawn with loot and enemies, so any place you thought you cleared could spawn high levels shits instakilling you through textures or something.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here
And if i only get challenge from self imposing it unto myself and only through a specific mode, your game has failed to make organic challenge.

Then you must hate like half of 90s RPGs that are barely even functional (see: Fallout 1 worthless skills like first aid* or Deus Ex swimming) and require a bit of elbow grease on the player's part to be enjoyable in the form of ignoring certain OP options or such.

*I am not shitting on Fallout 1, it is of course the superior game, I'm simply using it as an example of the jank that you seem to be implying makes a game bad. Is Fallout 1 bad to you?

If I remember right game has level scaling and level scaled spawns as well as level scaled equipment drops so I don't think it's particularly great for survival runs or something like that unless you mod it heavily.

Enemies you killed also respawn and areas also respawn with loot and enemies, so any place you thought you cleared could spawn high levels shits instakilling you through textures or something.

What makes you say that the level scaling and respawns are specifically ill-suited for a Survival run?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Cause you can't predict when some mutant spawns on rooftop you thought should be empty and shoots you with a bazooka?

You want survival runs, try Stalker games or something.

Okagron

Prophet
Then you must hate like half of 90s RPGs that are barely even functional (see: Fallout 1 worthless skills like first aid* or Deus Ex swimming) and require a bit of elbow grease on the player's part to be enjoyable in the form of ignoring certain OP options or such.
What do those things have to do with challenge? Doesn't change the fact that is ridiculous that i only get challenge from Fallout 4's combat by playing a post-release mode and imposing a self-made challenge. That's not how you do organic challenge. I don't need to do that in Fallout 1 and Deus Ex.

Fallout 4 FPS mechanics are subpar compared to FPS that came out 20 years. Half Life 1 and the No One Lives Forever games have better FPS combat by comparison. That is sad and ridiculous.

Insert Title Here
Okagron Well it's just my opinion but I think if you don't try to permadeath a game at first (at least until you discover it's not practical, for certain games,) then you are missing out. Fallout 4 Survival mode with permadeath is reasonably fun imo but I agree the vanilla game gets old mere hours in if you play on normal modes and reload all the time.

Cause you can't predict when some mutant spawns on rooftop you thought should be empty and shoots you with a bazooka?

Not any different than the first time you encountered them, gotta stay on your toes. Or as they say,
git gud

Insert Title Here
Obviously. I just scried your location and sent the coords to local Freemasons. That's what you get for stepping to me when you can't even prestidigitate a small whirlwind, scrub.

Deleted Member 16721

We have, it's a god awful game, even if you don't see it as a Fallout game. The combat itself is still awfully subpar compared to an average FPS and everything else is just terrible. The intro, the writing, the quests, the majority of the characters, the story and so many other aspects are just flat out botched. It goes beyond the terrible dialogue wheel.

If i only get challenge from self imposing it unto myself and only through a specific mode, your game has failed to make organic challenge. Not to mention, from midgame to lategame enemies just become bullet sponges. That's not challenge, that's the illusion of it.

And even with that, the series wasn't about shooting. It was about the characters, the stories, the multiple factions, how you

I doubt many here have given it a chance. The combat is fun, average FPS be damned. The intro is beautiful, the main quest is basically the water chip again but with an emotional investment, the quests, well I haven't seen much of them yet, but I like what I see so far. Characters? They seem interesting to me. I don't see anything botched about it. The dialogue wheel is fine too, it's shittiness is really overblown here.

Survival Mode is challenging and organic, you can't carry much, you have to prioritize what you pick up and you can die easily. Can't speak on midgame to endgame but early game is great. The game still has 3 factions from what I understand and I just know they will be fleshed out and interesting when I get that far.

I'm tired of isometric RPGs at the moment and this game + Elder Scrolls Online are rekindling my flame for gaming again. Bethesda has been killing it lately.

Barbalos

Savant
I hear ESO is not bad, good actually and with some good TES lore. But that is not made by Bethesda, it's made by ZeniMax Online Studios.

edit - Fake News?

The Elder Scrolls Online
The Elder Scrolls Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing video game developed by ZeniMax Online Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

edit 2 - if you mean it's Fake News that it's any good, I don't know as I've not played myself. Just heard that from a few people.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

And even with that, the series wasn't about shooting. It was about the characters, the stories, the multiple factions, how you

I doubt many here have given it a chance. The combat is fun, average FPS be damned. The intro is beautiful, the main quest is basically the water chip again but with an emotional investment, the quests, well I haven't seen much of them yet, but I like what I see so far. Characters? They seem interesting to me. I don't see anything botched about it. The dialogue wheel is fine too, it's shittiness is really overblown here.

Survival Mode is challenging and organic, you can't carry much, you have to prioritize what you pick up and you can die easily. Can't speak on midgame to endgame but early game is great. The game still has 3 factions from what I understand and I just know they will be fleshed out and interesting when I get that far.

I'm tired of isometric RPGs at the moment and this game + Elder Scrolls Online are rekindling my flame for gaming again. Bethesda has been killing it lately.

I don't try and hold my standards above anyone else's, but in this case I gotta disagree the hard way. The characters in F4 don't even act or talk like human beings. They're like mobile flash cards, only barking out the highly scripted (and incredibly dull) dialogue that's meant to convey plot/quest points. There's hardly anyone in the game that's truly shady, duplicitous or layered with personality quirks. Even some of the side characters in F3 or New Vegas have more depth than the main cast in F4. And the 'emotional investment' of the main plot allows for you the choice of totally ignoring your frozen tv dinner family and running off to grow mutant berry shrubs in the local settlements. Everything in the game is borderline schizophrenic - and boring to boot. The gun play and some of the modding that can be done with weapons and armor makes for some fun for a couple of hours, but the plot hangover sets in, and by the time I was halfway to finding the institute and ridding myself of synth troubles I was ready to help them kill all the humans because the humans were acting more robot-like than the robots.

You've done a Kenshi playthrough, right? Kenshi is a weird, buggy game. It also does post-apoc setting WAY better than F4. F4 feels like some little kid's play-dough version of a wasteland. No one is even allowed to do or say anything offensive in a world where ppl should be carving human flesh from the bone in order to make skin masks and BBQ people-a-bobs. F4 is afraid to do any of the things that got it to the dance in the first place... and it sucks. But even its suckiness isn't the worst, because then Bethesda decided to take everything that sucked about F4 and then added MP to it for '76. The level of suck they've pulled with the Fallout series is stunning to behold. If I didn't know better, I would have thought someone high up at Bethesda was actually an EA rep in disguise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom