Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Master

Arbiter
Real men play TW1 only on that third camera mode.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
On hard the flaming icon is gone and you have to focus a bit more on the right timing. The combat never really becomes mechanically engaging, but it still helps a tiny bit. I enjoyed the combat in TW1 though, purely for the visual spectacle of Geralt's crazy animations. Especially the ones in group style.
I know, I played a bit on hard, but when you beat the game twice in a row, you focus less on color timing and more of clicking the mouse at the end of Geralts combat animation which isn't much different at all. That's what I ended up doing for most of my playthrough since I played a lot of Witcher on a laptop.

IIRC you could time your combos blind if it wasn't because you need to click on the enemy. As far as I recall, there are sound cues to tell you when you need to combo your attacks.

That was my real only issue with the combo system, can't recall if it was more annoying in OTS or isometric.

Gerrard

Arcane
Blows my mind that some people unironically prefer the iso perspective in this
OTS is so much better for atmosphere and enjoyment of the graphics it ain't even funny

Not going to call you retarded because that's not my style, but: how?

CD Projekt RED made the stupid decision of not adding a walk/run toggle, even if I appreciate the fact you can play TW1 without ever using a keyboard. But this glaring flaw becomes apparent in the OTS mode, as you run around everywhere and the movement looks particularly bad, floaty and "quick" in an unnatural way that you simply don't get with the isometric camera.
You could bind a "walk forward" key from day 1 in the ini because it's the same as in NWN.

Martyr

Arcane
guise, I need halp.
at the beginning of the game you've got the quests to collect brains of drowners and blood of ghouls.
as far as I remembered, you had to read a book to gain knowledge about creatures, so you could get all the possible loot to show up. so I bought a book about drowners, got lots of infos added to my glossary and clicked on these infos.
and yet I still can't loot their brains. what do you have to do to get those?
same applies to ghouls and their blood, but I haven't even found a book about them.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
guise, I need halp.
at the beginning of the game you've got the quests to collect brains of drowners and blood of ghouls.
as far as I remembered, you had to read a book to gain knowledge about creatures, so you could get all the possible loot to show up. so I bought a book about drowners, got lots of infos added to my glossary and clicked on these infos.
same applies to ghouls and their blood, but I haven't even found a book about them.
As far as i remember you need a skill to harvest body parts. Monster Lore or extraction?

Edit:
latest

That one

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
guise, I need halp.
As far as i remember you need a skill to harvest body parts. Monster Lore or extraction?
rating_thanks.png
didn't think of that possibility.
checking now!

edit: this could be the solution. unfortunately I can't try this because I've already spent all my attribute points. :|

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If you look inside every house, container, rock, cave and chest, there's a lot of books scattered around, will save you heaps over time...

You'll save up faster for the Chapter 2 armour.

Squid

Arbiter
guise, I need halp.
Ah shit, I remember this happening to me too. It's a different book that you're not thinking of or it's a skill you have to by. I feel like I found a solution in the skills.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
It's kind of crazy that so early in the game they already had that horrible sword swing movement and it stuck in there till actual release.

yellowcake

Arcane
Also stop whining about Witcher 1 combat. It is not that different from say gothics where you have to time your click to perform a combo or from dungeon crawlers where you click a sword icon when it is highlighted. Your performance in a fight is still based on your stats and skills if you manage to click properly. Then you have weapon stances and there are tougher fights with multiple opponents where you need to manage this properly as well as choosing between opponents.
Besides if you play on hard potion loadout and toxicity management becomes far more deciding in your performance than anything else as it should be. This is actually the single best made system in all of witcher games.

I played through the first chapter recently and I had to load an earlier save and scoop all potion ingredients in the whole area to go through the last series of fights.

Modron

Arcane
The problem isn't that it has rhythm combat but that the Witcher has shallow rhythm combat. Summoner has rhythm combat as well but that combat it is actually decent because your moves improve with use, unlock other moves, and can be assigned to 4 different custom combo chains you can switch between as combat encounters dictate the need for.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's much better to time your attacks and whatnot based on animations and "feel" rather than when the little sword lights up. I will admit though playing it now that player position is more important than I remembered. My memory of the game was just standing there and clicking when the sword lit up, but playing it today I see you do have to move and position properly to limit damage from surrounding enemies. Though if you level-up the crowd control combat option you'll start just standing there decimating everyone in the average fight. Only in tougher fights do you have to switch to one-on-one for more damage.

Also, unrelated... while I still plan to do the neutral path I am siding with the Order a little more in the early stages. The game portrays the Skoy-a-tell more unsympathetic than the sequels I feel, with their leader specifically telling you he plans to burn Vizima to the ground and kill everyone there the first time you meet him. I'm pretty sure I remember the Order going batshit later on though.

Danikas

Arcane
The game portrays the Skoy-a-tell more unsympathetic than the sequels I feel, with their leader specifically telling you he plans to burn Vizima to the ground and kill everyone there the first time you meet him. I'm pretty sure I remember the Order going batshit later on though.
Both sides go full retard that's the point of the whole series.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Also stop whining about Witcher 1 combat. It is not that different from say gothics where you have to time your click to perform a combo or from dungeon crawlers where you click a sword icon when it is highlighted. Your performance in a fight is still based on your stats and skills if you manage to click properly. Then you have weapon stances and there are tougher fights with multiple opponents where you need to manage this properly as well as choosing between opponents.
Besides if you play on hard potion loadout and toxicity management becomes far more deciding in your performance than anything else as it should be. This is actually the single best made system in all of witcher games.

I played through the first chapter recently and I had to load an earlier save and scoop all potion ingredients in the whole area to go through the last series of fights.

You say Witcher combat is not much different to Gothic, but then you go on to touch on (merely touch on) several ways in which it is very different.

Let's not beat around the bush: The Witcher's combat system is far superior, and more complex than Gothic's, but the Witcher is still just a lowly popamole that can never approach the tactical heights of Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm or ToEE; hell, not even Icewind Dale.

It's much better to time your attacks and whatnot based on animations and "feel" rather than when the little sword lights up. I will admit though playing it now that player position is more important than I remembered. My memory of the game was just standing there and clicking when the sword lit up, but playing it today I see you do have to move and position properly to limit damage from surrounding enemies. Though if you level-up the crowd control combat option you'll start just standing there decimating everyone in the average fight. Only in tougher fights do you have to switch to one-on-one for more damage.

This is true, especially if you play with FCR, where standing still long enough to complete an entire attack chain is a rarity. You have to keep dancing away from and around enemies trying to surround you and any temporary obstacle you can put in between you and something else is useful.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt

You say Witcher combat is not much different to Gothic, but then you go on to touch on (merely touch on) several ways in which it is very different.

Let's not beat around the bush: The Witcher's combat system is far superior, and more complex than Gothic's, but the Witcher is still just a lowly popamole that can never approach the tactical heights of Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm or ToEE; hell, not even Icewind Dale.
lol good one. This was a joke, right?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Both sides go full retard that's the point of the whole series.

No shit, but I remembered it as being led up to, the fact they're both insane being slowly revealed over time. Siegried seems like a nice dude at first, and the Order mostly in the background. However the elf guy immediately says in your first conversation with him that he plans to burn Vizima down and kill everyone inside. I didn't remember it being that obvious.

JDR13

Arcane

I don't think the combat is nearly as bad as some try to claim, but I don't think it's great either.

It's imperative though that you play TW1 on the hardest difficulty to get the most out of the combat. Anything less is a cakewalk, and I think it's obvious that it was meant to be played on Hard unless you're a very casual gamer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom