Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - Gwent expansion turns into standalone RPG

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How's the difficulty? I remember even mainstream journos complained it's too easy which literally freaked me out.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, the puzzle/special battles sometimes take a few tries to figure out the trick.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Gwent died for this.

Gwent died because CDP incompetence by trying to change a small but having a strong niche game to try mimicking Hearthstone.

3 lanes was very nice design that was utterly underused due to CDP bad choices.

I haven't tried it in quite awhile, but back when I was playing it was fun but they kept bombing it with huge design changes. I just couldn't keep up anymore. It doesn't even look like the same game at this point.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished the tutorial of this game. I have to mention that I admire the truthful representation of feudal relations:

Queen: "You have nothing to be afraid of, you are subjects, not slaves!"
... 5 mins later ...
Queen: "You are getting forcefully recruited into the army. The bandits have fed you, so you should be strong enough. They also gave you gold, so you shouldn't need payment of wages."

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just passed the burning tree combat. This was one of the better written scenes I've seen in games, especially considering that the player's imagination has nothing to go by except the text, narration and one image. The game has excellent production values across the board, and the puzzles' difficulty seems to have been improved since release, judging by solutions/guides I've been looking at. I do suck at card games, that I admit, but there are videos showing strategies which don't work, because the difficulty has been beefed up.

Codex Year of the Donut
Just passed the burning tree combat. This was one of the better written scenes I've seen in games, especially considering that the player's imagination has nothing to go by except the text, narration and one image. The game has excellent production values across the board, and the puzzles' difficulty seems to have been improved since release, judging by solutions/guides I've been looking at. I do suck at card games, that I admit, but there are videos showing strategies which don't work, because the difficulty has been beefed up.
the problem is the massive amount of puzzle fights
I got bored about halfway through and quit, I'd probably have finished if it was just all card fights

AwesomeButton

Patron
I got bored about halfway through and quit, I'd probably have finished if it was just all card fights
Most puzzles are still easy enough for me to pass from the first attempt. I guess that is inevitable when you have a preset deck, preset enemy actions, and just one round. My explanation for why this is even a card game is, they just wanted to cut costs on developing the combat part in a turn based system and made a little Frankenstein out of Gwent's code and a simple isometric engine they threw together.

The story is still keeping me interested enough to continue. Their writing is fine though, compared to some rpgs I've been playing recently. The story is a main marketing point for them, and there is a reason for that.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most puzzles are still easy enough for me to pass from the first attempt. I guess that is inevitable when you have a preset deck, preset enemy actions, and just one round. My explanation for why this is even a card game is, they just wanted to cut costs on developing the combat part in a turn based system and made a little Frankenstein out of Gwent's code and a simple isometric engine they threw together.

The story is still keeping me interested enough to continue. Their writing is fine though, compared to some rpgs I've been playing recently. The story is a main marketing point for them, and there is a reason for that.
The amount of effort put into pretty much everything besides the combat made me wonder if CDPR has an isometric RPG in the works tbh

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it is a well-made game and very much worth a playthrough (though possibly at a sale).
What I'll never understand is why CDPR thought it would sell much better than it did. I mean, come on, it's still a card game, and a single-player one at that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think it is a well-made game and very much worth a playthrough (though possibly at a sale).
What I'll never understand is why CDPR thought it would sell much better than it did. I mean, come on, it's still a card game, and a single-player one at that.
Witcher 3 players largely skipped the Gwent parts (at least nearly all players I've met did), and when they heard "a game in the Witcher world with card game battles", they were indifferent. I wonder if CDPR ever made efforts to find out how Witcher 3 players felt about Gwent.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Witcher 3 players largely skipped the Gwent parts (at least nearly all players I've met did), and when they heard "a game in the Witcher world with card game battles", they were indifferent. I wonder if CDPR ever made efforts to find out how Witcher 3 players felt about Gwent.
Well gwent was pretty fun fore me,finished all the quests and got all the cards. Still the game is pretty much dumbed down compared to the witcher's gwent. Also they listened to the reviewers and all the youtube beggars praising the card game and assumed that all the players see it the same. I didn't like this game mainly because of the protagonist. It is a female and i am not,despite what all the sjw media is saying,most people prefer to play as their sex and most gamers are males. Another problem is that it is not an empty glass,it is a character from the world with traits and history. It would have been a lot better if it was a king/queen choice that goes trough the campaign and the player is roleplaying it. Put a few rpg elements and some C&C and you have a great kingdom building game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't mind the protagonist being female at all, except in the cases where they wrote her "strong independent" dialogue lines.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't mind the protagonist being female at all, except in the cases where they wrote her "strong independent" dialogue lines.
It really depends,in i story driven games i prefer to be my sex,in games like tomb rider and urban i don't really care. I am not really shitting on the game for it tho,i am not one of those sad fucks the meninsts. I am just not interested.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gwent was awesome, wtf

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
/Shrug, I never tried it when I played through the entirety of Witcher 3. Not sure what the motivation for trying it even is.
Playing a fun game?
A change of pace, a contrast to the rather monotonous combat of Witcher 3? I like it when games switch up their formula, especially when it becomes kind of its own quest.
Tradition (I've been loving these side-games ever since Arcomage)?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I liked the dice poker from Witcher 1 just as well if not more, but as we know, I'm a compulsive gambler.
Dice poker was cool since it could play a major part in the game's economy. It was very much possible to lose all of your savings because of a couple of bad rounds. Gwent is just about collecting cards, although I think it serves a very important role in the game's pacing and is just a fun game overall.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I figure they thought there was an audience of people out there who were hungry for more Witcher storyfaggotry. Just slap the "RPG" label on it and it'll sell!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom