Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightmare Reaper - 2.5D FPS with over 80 weapons and gaudy colors

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Over 80 weapons (32 in EA), open-ended levels, character upgrades via a 2D platformer minigame, (very, very) colorful graphics, music by Andrew Hulshult (DUSK, IDKFA).

First time when I saw these screenshots I thought 'WTF is going on', but the trailer looks pretty interesting despite the eyesore colors.

Early Access in Summer.

ss_2796cc57504bc9361a9f41acda8019354c48aba8.1920x1080.jpg

ss_01cdc87db92ae7f990d022e0e098fb7244568309.1920x1080.jpg

steamGif1.gif

Nightmare Reaper is a dark and violent meld of retro and modern action games, mainly inspired by the classic 2.5D first person shooters of the 90s like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein 3D.

steamGif2.gif

Features
  • Over 80 satisfying and balanced weapons (32 in EA)
  • Open-ended levels filled with surprises
  • Find gold, powerups and enchanted weapons with different stats
  • Purchase character upgrades and customize your abilities via a minigame
  • Wage war through three varied game-sized episodes
  • Soundtrack by the great Andrew Hulshult
  • Non-intrusive, but mysterious story
  • Fight hordes of enemies at the same time
  • A focus on satisfying combat that'll make you addicted

steamGif3.gif

You rise to prevent her doom
and duke it out with nightmares
to reap salvation in blood.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
10 years ago this would be called a shitty, low effort Doom TC. Today, it will sit among other low effort shovelware titles like Ion Maiden and Dusk while being praised by nostalgiafags.

ColCol

Arcane
Game is pretty good. Needs more love. The right mix of rpg elements and fps action. A loot pool that isn't obnoxiously large (yet). Yet, the game's development cycle is weird. Right now development has slowed to a crawl. The first ep is done but the two other eps don't seem even close to competition. The strange thing is, I don't replay games a lot, and has it stands, I received 17 hours out of this game just from the base content. So I can't help wonder if they're maybe giving themselves too much work. Perhaps they should cut down. So. it's not completed, but you will get your money's worth.

Curratum

Was waiting on this to hit 1.0, need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up, buds!

Curratum

Fuck me, 21 bleeding Euros. Someone's been doing more drugs that they should.

Nah, I'm good. I'll have to just wait for Supplice to come out...

ColCol

Arcane
It's a pretty big game tho, 20 hours in and no end in sight for now, highly replayable as well. Good shit.

This, I would argue that it is in fact too long now, and it does not help that you are encouraged to play minigames and arena matches for the skill trees. You'll get your money's worth tho.

Last edited:

Magitex

Educated
Solid game indeed, although I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in some of the mini-games. If each one just had a little bit more depth and more reward for actually playing them it'd have been better, if I want to grind fake pokemons for topaz, why not. I liked these more than I expected still. If these games don't appeal you can just turn them off in the options anyway.
Nightmare reaper is ultimately not doing much more than a typical doom wad and it's almost on par with the more complicated doom RPG mods, but the randomized level design (not true procedural but many set pieces) is much superior to Doom's Oblige map generator... with exception of the Dock levels. Invisible walls everywhere, and the water where you're not allowed to use the grappling hook.. not a fan of these parts, thankfully they are rare.
Well worth the money all up if you just enjoy blasting shit and not listening to the endless drivel of modern games.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Looks shitty and the art style sucks ass. Pixel graphics done right are artistic works of art, but this is the same as putting a crucifix in a mason jar filled with piss. It's not art. It's something that you cat or dog vomits up and claiming it's art.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Looks shitty and the art style sucks ass. Pixel graphics done right are artistic works of art, but this is the same as putting a crucifix in a mason jar filled with piss. It's not art. It's something that you cat or dog vomits up and claiming it's art.
Game looks very different from the stuff above, also it's about shootiong shit with fun weapons, who gives a fuck.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Game looks very different from the stuff above, also it's about shootiong shit with fun weapons, who gives a fuck.

I certainly don't give a fuck about you or your idiotic opinion. When I want your opinion I'll give it to you.

The game is trash like most modern games are. Since the game is shit that means you like said shit then your taste is shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Old school shooters are also remembered for their ground breaking visuals. Quake still looks great TODAY, so i don't get the trend of those retro boomer shooters of having eye raping visuals on purpose.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Game doesn't look like shit at all. While playing you quickly start filtering the busy visuals and it becomes quite exhilarating.
The game is trash like most modern games are.
It's speedy with many movement options, Crapton of crazy weapons, some cool enemies/animations, great sound. Have fun not having fun retard.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Game doesn't look like shit at all. While playing you quickly start filtering the busy visuals and it's becomes quite exhilarating.
The game is trash like most modern games are.
It's speedy with many movement options, Crapton of crazy weapons, some cool enemies/animations, great sound. Have fun not having fun retard.

The game looks like the shit smeared on the wall by a 5 year old. That tells me you have no taste.

Quantity of shit is still shit. That tells me you enjoy consuming shit. What's it like to be a shit eater? Does it taste good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom