Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That makes sense based on your described experience.

Tell me Damned Registrations, how big do you try to keep your colony? In addition to the wealth meter, I believe there is a population meter. If you get over x number of colonists, the game tries to kill them off until you get down to x. If you're trying to have 50 people or something that might explain why you're under so much pressure. I find the game "wants" me to keep it at about a dozen which is fine with me.

Beastro

Arcane
What I'm saying is that defending from raids shouldn't be tedious bullshit where you're constantly repairing walls, rebuilding traps, kiting people around the map for 5 minutes, or making pawns walk in and out of doors while toggling 'hold door' 30 times to fuck with the AI. Nor should you be doing stupid metagamey shit like burning down your food stockpile or all the clothes you made while training a craftsman.

The difficult part should be becoming as wealthy and skilled as fast as you can to outpace the raids.

It's been awhile since I played but I ran into that too.

Raids got huge, but were no threat given my defences. The problem came that my colonists couldn't leave without their minds instantly breaking seeing the carnage out front. I had to send my sociopaths out to clean the bodies up, but by the time they got done doing that another raid and body pile would happen not too soon afterwards. I was flush with gear (and human skin) and selling a ton to make a profit but was ground down with the tedium of having everything shut down by the body pile over and over.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
No, I just dug a cave off around a corner with a door on it to lock to keep the rest out and stuffed the bodies in there.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now I want to do that. Build a mountain fortress where I have these huge furnaces out front to torch the bodies of all who oppose me because I can't be bothered to bury them or haul them inside. With psychopaths in rags shoveling bodies day and night. Plus a big cage of wolves and worgs just inside the gates where I call them back in during combat but then release them again to swarm out and feast on the dead.

Risewild

Arbiter
I used to make giant fires (Molotov Cocktail) to clear most (or all) the bodies and junk remaining from raids. It would work pretty well until it starts raining (game makes it rain automatically after a fire reaches a certain size).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There ought to be a mod where enemies suffer psychological effects too so they can react to walking into a room with 300 frozen corpses covered in blood and vomit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So what's the best way to get the most out of a cult in Rim of Madness? I got to the stage where I can sacrifice prisoners and tried the offering that gives you research progress but it barely did anything.

e: Also how do you utilize tame animals for defense? My animal handler is a pacifist so not really someone you want near the action and just putting them in a zone in the path of the raiders doesn't mean they start ripping them apart.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
All efficiency, no fun allowed, use every exploit possible or you lose?
This is how I see the game as it is. Spend half your wealth on a giant cool statue? Fuck no, you'll lose! Give everyone nice bedrooms? Better not, you need to have more guns! Recruit a colonist that lights shit on fire or is hooked on expensive drugs? That's suicidal, better only recruit people that can do everything and have no flaws.

If the goal is to become wealthy, there's a lot of paths you can take, like hunting, farming, high quality crafts, mining rare resources, etc. If the goal is to have a high ratio of guns to wealth, there's really only one way to do it.
Nonsense. Having good rooms n shit helps your colony so your pawns aren't breaking down so often. Just don't build up ridiculous wealth in a way that won't provide something functional for your colony.

Burning down food or clothes is retarded also - you can sell the excess you know. You build wealth in order to buy some rocket launchers and archotech eyes n shit, not just to pile it up in a hoard that does nothing.

If you want combat to be simple and easy popamole, install a mod that lets you build those arrow slits you dream of and/or tone down the difficulty.

Johannes

Arcane
What I'm saying is that defending from raids shouldn't be tedious bullshit where you're constantly repairing walls, rebuilding traps, kiting people around the map for 5 minutes, or making pawns walk in and out of doors while toggling 'hold door' 30 times to fuck with the AI. Nor should you be doing stupid metagamey shit like burning down your food stockpile or all the clothes you made while training a craftsman.

The difficult part should be becoming as wealthy and skilled as fast as you can to outpace the raids.

It's been awhile since I played but I ran into that too.

Raids got huge, but were no threat given my defencee. The problem came that my colonists couldn't leave without their minds instantly breaking seeing the carnage out front. I had to send my sociopaths out to clean the bodies up, but by the time they got done doing that another raid and body pile would happen not too soon afterwards. I was flush with gear (and human skin) and selling a ton to make a profit but was ground down with the tedium of having everything shut down by the body pile over and over.
Seeing a corpse is not such a huge effect that it should be so dramatic to tip everybody over the edge. Butchering the humans as you do, isn't helping either...

And it might be you're over some limit where the storyteller really wants to punish you, try switching to Randy to get things less deterministic in that. Or if you're already on Randy, just wait it out for a more peaceful period since the attacks coming close together would just be random in that case afaik.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I've made my first real attempt at building an escape ship. I've built everything but the engines, and I'm out of uranium. The map doesn't have any, and no traders seem to have any in stock. Is there a way to get any more? Deep drilling, maybe?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always end up quitting at that point. I think it's the one big flaw in Rimworld. You get to a point where you know that you're going to win and it's just a matter of time to stockpile the resources you need. I wish there was some special endgame content because I feel like I've beaten the game and they're just making me sit and watch for 5 more hours until I get the victory screen.

passerby

Arcane
It's always like that with sandboxy strategy games. I saw victory screen in less than 5% of my 4x strategy "won" games.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it probably goes back as far as the original Civilization. Deciding when the player has won doesn't get enough attention.

Risewild

Arbiter
I always end up quitting at that point. I think it's the one big flaw in Rimworld. You get to a point where you know that you're going to win and it's just a matter of time to stockpile the resources you need. I wish there was some special endgame content because I feel like I've beaten the game and they're just making me sit and watch for 5 more hours until I get the victory screen.
I have the same problem. I also seem to have more fun at the start of a game while scrambling to survive with only one pawn than later when I have several.

But I sometimes (rarely) motivate myself to build a spaceship because I use the Save Our Ship (Reloaded) mod. Sometimes I feel like "saving" a particular colonist and/or one pet (the mod allows to save more than that though) to play a new game with them at the start.

Zombra

Patron
I wish there was some special endgame content
What about the big "the engines take 5 days to start and you have to fight off raiders the entire time" endgame? I haven't gotten to the end since they added that in. Have you done that part? It sounds crazy.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I've made my first real attempt at building an escape ship. I've built everything but the engines, and I'm out of uranium. The map doesn't have any, and no traders seem to have any in stock. Is there a way to get any more? Deep drilling, maybe?
or you could just build a base elsewhere on the planet and send uranium back to your main base...

tindrli

Arcane
use console. escape like a pro. and restart your game

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Time to go on a adventure my friend, travel the wastes looking for a ideal mining spot or a event that could give u uranium. Or try trading with the faction "villages" around.

Zombra

Patron
Time to go on a adventure my friend, travel the wastes looking for a ideal mining spot or a event that could give u uranium. Or try trading with the faction "villages" around.
Agree. Don't wait for it to come to you. Build some catapults and explore the world around you.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

I've had a few events, but they've been mainly stranded/wounded wanderer ones. I've got a couple of miniguns and some decent armor now, plus pod launchers. Think I'll try the adventure mode strategy and check out the map.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is possible to post a image of the surrounding map around your base?
meanwhile i am still stuck "trying" to muster strenght to re-organize my mods after formating my computer 1 year ago :negative:

Zombra

Patron
I've had a few events, but they've been mainly stranded/wounded wanderer ones. I've got a couple of miniguns and some decent armor now, plus pod launchers. Think I'll try the adventure mode strategy and check out the map.
Make sure to pack properly. The food indicator of course is important. The game won't tell you to bring bedrolls and medicine. Don't bring pregnant pack animals. Also make sure your people have weather-appropriate clothes. I had a guy who forgot to bring a coat once and he lost all his fingers to frostbite on a long trip because you can't stop halfway to build a textile factory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom