Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

Incendax

Augur
The Culture would be incredibly interesting as a cRPG.
Like a much fancier version of a Star Trek.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Masters of the universe
378702-sepik.jpg
she-ra-princesses-of-power.png
look at this image and despair

Yeah, it´s crap. But i don´t care. Stopped watching TV more than 10 years ago. And i don´t care about streaming/subscription shit...pointless.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Also, I've been wanting to read a new fantasy or sci fi series lately. I tried reading Mazalan the other day, had to quit after the first two paragraphs. The prose was revolting. Did I overreact? Is it worth pursuing further?

Nonononononononononononononononononononononononoooooo. NO! Save yourself, you fool!

Master

Arbiter
- Choice n1:
Dan Simmons' Hyperion
:incline:

As long as:
a) it's not written by librul cunts
b) it's not written by youngsters (no offense to most of you, but you just don't get it like we do)

edit: as to 'why'? Multiple reasons. The theme, the atmosphere, the mood, it's like William Gibson matured. Bleak, raw, but in a subtle kind of way where it matters, he never tells you life isn't worth shit anymore/ tech supplanted the drive to imagine. Touches all the relevant topics, but doesn't serve you conclusions as is the trend nowadays. And it could fit in a good RPG like a glove. Few "battles", but important ones aka no "trash", plenty of C&C, branching, time tropes..

If you don't know what i'm talking about, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(Simmons_novel)
(buy it, thank me later)
Simmons, a mature Gibson? Sorry, but no.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Simmons is amazing, you should go all the way to Triumph of Endymion, and in fact most of his other books are also good.

That said, it would never have occurred to me to compare him to Gibson, with his, in my opinion, completely different style of writing....

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dune could be nice. Not played as Paul, though, but some random dude hailing from one of the great houses (players choice) that has his own story during and coinciding Paul's.

A similar thing might work for Robin Hood too. Player not being any of the central characters, but just someone amidst that story.

Also, a WW2 game not played as a soldier could be interesting. Though I doubt anybody would actually make one that would allow the player to choose to be a nazi instead of forcing him to be part of the resistance or just one of the annexed feeling miserable. Even if that choice might have a high chance of ending like this:

BAuSgJ.gif

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Simmons is amazing, you should go all the way to Triumph of Endymion, and in fact most of his other books are also good.

That said, it would never have occurred to me to compare him to Gibson, with his, in my opinion, completely different style of writing....

He is like Gibson for kids, if anything.
Doesnt he try to "homage" him in Hyperion?

I don’t see much of a connection. Hyperion was great, but it’s more of a short story collection with a framing story than an actual novel. None of the SF he’s written since has been anywhere near as good.

I don’t know, his earlier stuff felt a lot more polished. Like he just spent more time on it.

Swigen

Arbiter
Heavy Metal, goddamn it!!

spr87.jpg

They ‘aughtta do like the movie and have a variety of settings connected to the green ball or whatever.

Master

Arbiter

I don’t see much of a connection. Hyperion was great, but it’s more of a short story collection with a framing story than an actual novel. None of the SF he’s written since has been anywhere near as good.

I don’t know, his earlier stuff felt a lot more polished. Like he just spent more time on it.
It was a whole chapter, with the woman detective. A kind of a riff on Gibson, or did i imagine it?
In any case, even an average passage from Gibson is still better than the best from Simmons.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

Hm. Hyperion and Endymion is his old stuff, I think. Imho he writes really interesting novels for anyone who likes the turn of the XIXth and XXth centuries and enjoys a huge brick of a book with a hint of the supernatural. Just consider 'The Terror', 'Abomination', 'The Fifth Heart', and 'Drood'; all very good books, with 'Drood' probably the best: a towering homage to Dickens writen so that a narrator is a Dickens hater, the writer Wilkie Collins. A must!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Age of Mythology,
A game with combines the greek, egyptian and Nordic Mythologies.

Games set in the Endless Space universe
I really like the factions and their stories

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri
Just imagine a CRPG where the planet is your enemy.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Economic transition period of former SSRs. Choose your class: former red army, red manager, academic, released gulag prisoner, Caucasian economic migrant, street child, prostitute, etc.

Avoid conscription to Chechnya, assassination from rivals, kidnapping, and other perils more common to the era. Survive and escape to the West, or become an oligarch.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Age of Mythology,

I only played the demo, but I think Titan's Quest already did this.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Age of Mythology,

I only played the demo, but I think Titan's Quest already did this.

Nordic Mythology was added in a DLC one or two years ago. And there's also some Asian mythology (Babylon, central Asia and China). But the various mythologies aren't that present, you meet two greek gods (Persephone & Hades, I think) and a titan, no Egyptians gods and six Nordic gods.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Obscure era of The Elder Scrolls lore: conquest of the heavens undertook by the Second Empire of Man (i.e. Reman Empire).
Reman is too good for post-Morrowind Bethesda, just like most of the cool lore. I wish Kirkbride would take a break from doing PCP to kickstart his project along the lines of Numenara, but make it universally loved.

Obscure era of The Elder Scrolls lore: conquest of the heavens undertook by the Second Empire of Man (i.e. Reman Empire).
Reman is too good for post-Morrowind Bethesda. I wish Kirkbride would take a break from doing PCP to kickstart his project along the lines of Numenaria, but make it universally loved.
I had the same reaction but gave it a second chance. Got it then; and while GotM is a weird, discontinuous book, the second one of the series is imho a lot more competent, and then you're hooked.

Malazan is the Dark Souls of literature, you gather scraps of narratives scattered throughout thousands of pages.

[26065"]Nonononononononononononononononononononononononoooooo. NO! Save yourself, you fool!
How about I put off reading Malazan, and instead watch you two fight over whether it's worth reading?
ScornfulLoneGourami-size_restricted.gif

P.S. a new gladiator RPG would be dope.

Age of Mythology,
>implying they aren't retelling the same myths

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ALF
Smurfs
PAC MAN Adventures (from the cartoon series)
tumblr_ok49v4u3v41u501aoo1_400.gif

pac-mezmaron-1983-969x1024.png

Who the hell is this caped bald dude?

Since dino's were brought up how about Land of the Lost?
Chips Patrol
Law & Order

God lord NO! Those are all ideas to sink RPGs forever. Why didn't I list Care Bears and FURRY FAG FUN - YIP & YIFFERIFIC!?

Honestly I can think of nothing since so much shit comes out all the time.
Have some more ...
pacman_by_brawlerdesign-d50pjt8.jpg

Is Pac man from PACistan?

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I think Larian could possibly be the one to do a Discworld crpg justice. The lack of seriousness atmosphere Larian has in their games would fit.
Yeah maybe, but Terry Pratchett actually had wit.
This is true. The character writing would never compare, but the setting and atmosphere might.
I just wish he was still writing more books. Even Snuff was great and he wrote that by dictation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom