Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Starting Points?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Want to get into strategy games, there is a fuckton and I’m not sure where to start.

Would Age of Empires be a good starting point?

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
There is also Crusader Kings II, but it’s expanshions cost a shitton of money.

Martyr

Arcane
my personal favorites are:

Medieval: Total War - grand strategy set in middle ages. turn based global map, real time battles which can be auto-resolved.

Fantasy General - a wargame using the Panzer General engine in a fantasy setting.

Dominions 2 - fantasy grand strategy. turn based global map and battles. but you probably wanna go for Dominions 5. me liking Dom2 more than 3/4/5 is most likely nostalgia, tbh.

Hearts of Iron 2 - world war 2 grand strategy game, real time.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Is Age of Wonders good?

I definitely am interested in a WW2 type game, so I’ll check out Hearts of Iron, which one is considered the best?

Martyr

Arcane
I definitely am interested in a WW2 type game, so I’ll check out Hearts of Iron, which one is considered the best?
the dumbing down of the HoI franchise starts with Hearts of Iron 3. imo HoI 2 is the pinnacle of the series.
there's also Darkest Hour, a standalone HoI2 game which spans a greater period of time than 2 and is supposedly more hardcore than 2. HoI 2 is all I need though.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Also, reccomends for simulation as well, I think Civilization is regarded as the best and most loved.

Morkar Left

I recommend civ 4, some Age of Wonders title, Galactic Civilations 2 (or 3, haven't tried) and Fields of Glory Empires with FoG 2.

Comte

Civ 4
Master of Orion 1 & 2
Master of Magic
Alpha Centauri
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3
Sid Meiers Colonization (the original)

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
What’s wrong with HoMM 1?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom