Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operencia: The Stolen Sun - turn-based blobber by Hungarian pinball devs

DemonKing

Arcane
Finished this a while back - I think the length was pretty good in the end as the gameplay was wearing a bit thin by the final level. It's not exceptional but certainly a decent time-waster if you're a fan of the blobber genre and the setting was a bit more interesting than your standard fantasy fare without being too different.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/122216-operencia-the-stolen-sun-reviews.html

PC Gamer 61/100:

Operencia ended up being a game I wish I liked more. Its first half was enchanting and clever, but the second half was a slog and the main thing I gained from it was some trivia about a giant Hungarian owl with a weird copper wang who scares children.

GameInformer 8.5/10:

Zen Studios has found itself another cozy niche in the video game market, and as always, the studio’s enthusiasm for the subject matter shines through. Operencia probably won’t be kicking off a massive revival of grid-based dungeon crawlers, but it is a worthy successor to the classics. I enjoyed the consistently pleasant mix of environmental puzzles and combat, as well as the crash course in Hungarian folklore.

WCCFTech 8/10:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun is an excellent throwback to old-school first-person dungeon crawler games, complete with solid mechanics, a predictable yet enjoyable story and a very well written cast of characters. While the old-school influence is dominant throughout the game, many of these features have been modernized, so even those who never played the classics will find something to enjoy in Operencia, from the beautiful art style to the turn-based battle system and dungeon exploration.

COGconnected 85/100:

I didn’t expect to get sucked into the world of Operencia: The Stolen Sun as fast and hard as I did. The story and memorable characters inspired by Central European mythology swept me off my feet from the get-go. The combat is equal parts fun, challenging, and rewarding which means entering battles hardly ever feel like a chore. Zen Studios has created a beautiful dungeon crawling RPG that not only will please the diehard blobber fan but also newcomers thanks to clever modern sensibilities. While the tile-based movement isn’t perfect, don’t let that hold you back from experiencing everything else Operencia: The Stolen Sun has to offer. You won’t regret it.

RPG Site 8/10:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun is a neatly packaged dungeon crawler with a nice style and satisfying gameplay loop. I found myself wishing that the combat was a little more robust or distinctive, or that the game challenged me a bit more throughout, but I enjoyed my time with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how Zen Studios might follow Operencia up in the future.

MMORPG.com 8.5/10:

Overall, Operencia: The Stolen Sun hits all the right points for a great, immersive RPG. The game is great fun to play, and exploring each dungeon, taking in the areas and listening to the characters banter with each other sucks you into the world. While it is definitely a niche game, those who enjoy it will definitely be well served to pick up Operencia and give it a go.

XboxAddict 8.2/10:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun took me by surprise and I’m going to have to start thinking of Zen Studios as more than just a great Pinball developer. It packs a decent story, memorable characters, robust combat strategy and challenge, a huge world and plenty of playtime. Currently in Xbox Game Pass, you’re able to try it out right now if you’re a subscriber, but even if not, I wouldn’t feel any guilt recommending Operencia even at its full $38.99 CAD price tag if any of the above sounded appealing to you. While it won’t be for everyone and has its quirks, it’s a specific game meant for old school dungeon dwelling fans like myself that miss the genre.

Xbox Tavern 8/10:

Despite a few issues with its long loading times and its poor voice work, Operencia offers a robust and diverse dungeon crawler that should not be overlooked. The game makes great use of its intelligently mashed-up framework, with a fine balance in place to ensure that the gameplay remains constantly fresh and rewarding throughout. Whether you seek engaging combat, deep progression, or, thrilling puzzles, Operencia has it all, and much more besides.

New Game Network 72/100:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun proves ambitious for an indie project, and one that offers a wealth of satisfying content for the asking price. Its methodical, sluggish nature may not be for everyone, but those who accept it as a rough-around-the-edges retro dungeon crawler, should get a kick out of it.

Silentstorm

Learned
So everyone but PcGamer ended up liking this game somewhat?

It does seem like stats are broken according to the previous page, but hey, they can always patch it and Zen Studios has patched and made new versions of Pinball FX while giving it new tables quite a few times, so i am guessing that some of the issues will be resolved sooner or later.

But now i am just thinking when they will make a pinball table themed around Operencia, they have done tables based on their games before, and if they managed to make pinball tables based on Fallout, Skyrim and even DOOM(2016) i don't see why this will be an exception or harder, at least this IP is owned by them.

Renevent

Cipher
I just found about it yesterday, no idea it even existed until I was browsing new gamepass games. It's actually pretty damn good so far. Graphics are nice, good mix of combat and puzzles (though I am still early on), cool dungeons, and the battle animations are pretty good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Started this and it's pretty dope so far. I'm impressed how large and complex the starter dungeon is though only 2 party members really limits the combat. When do you get more?
Next dungeon,you get a new member in every new dungeon more or less. The star chick is the last.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dropped it after two hours. It seems like a good "baby's first blobber," but is too casual to appeal to veterans.
Exactly. Operencia could appeal to new players.
Graphically it has some interesting concepts.
Combat is very simplistic. Not that that is necessarily bad, just meh.
Puzzles are not very puzzling.
Awkward dialogue sequences.
One good feature is TB combat.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think block-mode movement is inherently labelled old school, because journalists are stupid. Really, something like Elminage is old-school, this is clearly not

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
March 29th:

Zen Studios’ dungeon-crawler Operencia: The Stolen Sun is now out on PC and Xbox One. The game is available digitally priced at $29.99/£24.99/€29.99 through either the Epic Games Store or the Xbox Games Store depending on platform, with a new launch trailer viewable below.

https://rpgamer.com/2019/03/operencia-the-stolen-sun-out-on-pc-xbox-one/

Seven weeks later:

Untitled.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
To be fair it's Epic taking $10 off in addition to the normal discount. They're doing it for almost every game on it.

Solid Snail

Learned
I started this today because I got 3 months of Game Pass for 1€ and this was one of the two titles I wanted to try.
It's not bad, but if you already played both Grimrock it's easy to see how this is a dumbed down version. Still, I enjoyed what I played so far, aka the prologue and the first dungeon. It wasn't challenging and the fight on Normal is way too easy but it's a decent time sinker if you have nothing else to play.

Solid Snail

Learned
Can someone tell me how to use party skills? I'm playing with a pad, I have Lb and RB button prompts on the lower right but they do nothing, I swear I tried all the buttons but never managed to use a party skill once.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone tell me how to use party skills? I'm playing with a pad, I have Lb and RB button prompts on the lower right but they do nothing, I swear I tried all the buttons but never managed to use a party skill once.
Switch to a less inferior input method.
:obviously:
That said, though, maybe this really is a bug related to some keys not being bindable to a controller? That shouldn't usually be a problem, but I guess it is possible.

Solid Snail

Learned
That said, though, maybe this really is a bug related to some keys not being bindable to a controller? That shouldn't usually be a problem, but I guess it is possible.
What are the prompts with the keyboard?

Solid Snail

Learned
What are the prompts with the keyboard?
I quote myself because I solved it, you can activate party skills with the mouse. Still it sucks the same option simply doesn't work with an XBox One controller and there was nothing related to the controls section in-game.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I might join Game Pass (1€ for first month) to play this one.

Honestly, it's not worth the time. I did exactly what you're considering and I regret the 3 hours or so I spent before I got totally bored. It's just too mechanically simple to be interesting. How anyone could decry MMX and praise this, I have no idea because this plays like a lower budget version of MMX.

Exactly. Operencia could appeal to new players.
Graphically it has some interesting concepts.
Combat is very simplistic. Not that that is necessarily bad, just meh.
Puzzles are not very puzzling.
Awkward dialogue sequences.
One good feature is TB combat.

This is exactly my impression.

Nyast

Cipher
The puzzles get very challenging later in the game. Very much so. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the first levels / hours.

Combat wise it never really gets better.

Level-design wise, some levels are pretty cool, but they're all quite linear.

It's a cool little RPG-lite ( almost an adventure game ) if you don't mind simplistic combat / linear design. Well worth < $10 IMO. It's never going to be a rememberable masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom