Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Forgotten Sanctum is easily the best Deadfire DLC and probably even better than White March.

What I like about Deadfire is that it has a lot of content - something like 200-300 hours, if you are doing a semi-completionist run.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This has probably been discussed already, but I noticed that they did include hard counters now (sort of). Sawyer used to resist that.

The Real Fanboy
I'm so hopeful that Kate is the lead narrative on Pillars III since she totally slayed it on Deadfire with Modwyr and Rekke and all the dlcs!!! Especially with all the mystery surrounding Yezuha! (Also it's way meant to be a desert which would totally make it stand apart from Skyrim if they make it a first person rpg and set it there!!!!)

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I like about Deadfire is that it has a lot of content - something like 200-300 hours, if you are doing a semi-completionist run.
I think that numbers are an exaggeration. I am a slow player and a somewhat-completionist-kinda, and I spent 188 hours on PoEII, all DLCs included.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have 250 hours after the DLC's and I didn't go to Ukaizo yet and skipped a lot of the SSS optional fights and artifact hunting.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Game time varies an exceptionnaly great deal between people for deadfire.
Depends on exploration, time spent in menus/dialogues, use (or not) of fast mode etc etc.
Two people can achieve the same completion-wise, the first in 40 hours, the second in 150.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I bought the DLCs and haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I can't bring myself to dump 40 hours into the base game to be a high enough level.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This has probably been discussed already, but I noticed that they did include hard counters now (sort of). Sawyer used to resist that.
Sawyer realized he was wrong about hard counters with the 2.0 patch of Pillars.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted

Need to watch this film immediately.

Jesus, it makes me irrationally angry that this fucking whorecunt even is allowed to mention high art aloud.
I dont even know where to start. Movie is borderline unwatchable in a normal state of mind.
Let alone being a worthless Cali child that xir is (she/her). Flippant cunt compares her trash to mythological concepts of identity, betrayal, violence.
How can you even watch the scenes and think 'lel looks like the garbage from my commercial and critical flop!'!
She prolly wasnt even watching, browsing Twitter on her decadent phone/minicomputer. I dont even...

Fuck you, Sailor Woedica, making me actually angry...

The Real Fanboy

Jesus, it makes me irrationally angry that this fucking whorecunt even is allowed to mention high art aloud.
I dont even know where to start. Movie is borderline unwatchable in a normal state of mind.
Let alone being a worthless Cali child that xir is (she/her). Flippant cunt compares her trash to mythological concepts of identity, betrayal, violence.
How can you even watch the scenes and think 'lel looks like the garbage from my commercial and critical flop!'!
She prolly wasnt even watching, browsing Twitter on her decadent phone/minicomputer. I dont even...

Ouch, you've given me a headache with how incel this post is!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe she was doing research for Josh's RPG with the religious icon. I can't be bothered to dig up the interview where he had mentioned that idea.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted

Ouch, you've given me a headache with how incel this post is!

It was a quality troll, short, sweet (not retarded over the top, your usual m.o.) - irked just in the right places. Cant even tell if its a troll if you arent the target audience!

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Exploit?: if you fire your Kitchenstove pistol ability out of combat, from stealth, the game pauses before combat starts AND before you exit stealth. Which means you can switch weaps without incurring 2 sec of recovery.

Exploit: if you equip the Fleshmender leather that grants 1 extra weapon slot, put a weap in there and select it, and then switch armor, you still keep the weapon equipped and usable, including abilities.

Was respecing Serafen for lvl7 because I was unhappy with my spell selection and checked the info about pistols and hbows.
Dang, the rapid reload is stronk at 75 base cth.
Surprised at how ineffective the Arq modal is at increasing DPS. That though is only on a char with 10 dex. Any speed increase profits slow weaps more.
Hbows be nasty, only problem is pen'ing and... finding them. I have a legendary pistol that does raw and crush dmg and only fine hbows...
0q3jJPk.png

Only when the 1h pistol shows 50%cth ingame is the rapid reload modal becoming worse. I get the feeling that it was designed with these numbers in mind.
quyHfyW.png

I am awrite with not having know that rapid reload is gud. My gimped Serafen rarely would see cth above 60 and constantly underpen. Infact I switched to arquebus often.

It would be interesting to go through the game with hbow now knowing what it could do, just to check how much trouble you would have with slash underpenning. My gut feeling says: a lot. Guess we'll never know.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Sid Meyers Deadfeyers
y4NdC5P.jpg

holy shit ship raiding is profitable... i didnt know, another broken mechanic

Wonder how the game would look here if there was a way to unlock the cam like they did in that fig video :P Since this part is wholly 3D.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
No sky. Effects broken.
Are the ships really 3d though? Gotta check.
With a bit of fiddling you probably can change angle of view with Cheat Engine. Values are probably near the zoom values which can be changed.

Tigranes

Arcane
I bought the DLCs and haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I can't bring myself to dump 40 hours into the base game to be a high enough level.

For those who really do want to just skip to xpacks, probably can be done in about 2 hours. Start game, teleport to locations with F11 in console to trigger the few major quests that give you the xpacks (eg port maje dead guy room, hasongo tower) with shift-T in-map teleport and console killallenemies as necessary. Pick up desired companions, add xp, add items via console or add gold then teleport across shops to simulate a mid game party.

Obviously not ideal, just saying its possible for those who want to

Drowed

Arcane
So I finally tried playing Pillars II again, after I left the game after talking to Eothas where the plot simply stopped making sense and the reaction of the characters just didn't match the events. I heard that they put up new dialogues that would "fix" the problem, plus we have the whole turn-based mode thing, so I thought, why not?

Oh shit, how wrong I was.

First of all, I'm very happy with the idea of implementing the mode, but the implementation is completely fucked up. The balance (tm) of the enemies, the mechanics and everything else seems to have been done in a random way, and overall it seems to have made the game even easier. But that's not even the worst part, the worst part is that now each fight takes two to five times as long. At least one of the great advantages of playing the game in RTWP is that most of the fights are filler (or at least they seem to be by their insignificance) and you can go through them without much trouble. This time, I took who knows how many hours just to finally catch the ship and start sailing. But hey, maybe the game gets better, besides having new content and new battles and new bosses, right?

But I couldn't go much further than where I went the first time. As far as I could tell, the way they found to try to cover the huge hole in the plot with Eothas was to put some new conversations with Woedica, where she explains that "oh, but without Wheel in fact there was reincarnation, but it was worse. So help plz?" The fuck. What kind of idiotic explanation is that? Was the previous situation so much worse that humans were able to create gods, create global mechanisms of soul control, and have an advanced mega-civilization? It doesn't sound like the situation is that bad. Of course, you could say that the gods are simply lying to motivate you, but even if that is the case, why invent a lie as stupid as that?

Can't they think of a better explanation? Say, I don't know, like before Wheel, human beings were indeed born but there was no "reincarnation" per se, but souls dissolved after death and mixed with others, losing their memories and individuality. The Wheel would be the way to really keep these souls intact, at least to some extent. So the Wheel would be a way to really guarantee reincarnation, and without it, life would continue, yeah, but essentially there would be no "life after death" because your soul would be essentially destroyed. Something like the recycling of matter when the body dies, which returns to nature. And I just got it out of my ass while I'm writing this, it's not possible that a whole team of people can't think of anything better.

So... Yeah, I quit the game again. Maybe I'll play it sometime in the future, maybe not, but at the moment I just don't have the motivation to keep playing.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
It is this better than poe1? i dropped it at 2/3 because despite being interested in the story, i couldn't stand anymore to read uninteresting essays about random stuff . Also i suck at micromanaging things in combat, couldn't get past the forge golems or whatever. Yes i'm bad at this kind of games, but if the rest of the game beside combat is good, i can force myself to finish the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom